Start by marking “Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret” as Want to Read:
Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  170,597 Ratings  ·  5,723 Reviews
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

No one ever told Margaret Simon that eleven-going-on- twelve would be such a hard age. When her family moves to New Jersey, she has to adjust to life in the suburbs, a different school, and a whole new group of friends. Margaret knows she needs someone to talk to about growing up-and it's not long before she's found a solution.

Are you t

Published October 1st 1991 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, please sign up.
Kaitlyn Why not? Would learning about girls' experience be so horrible for boys? I think not.
Jia Drisdom It's almost as if God is her diary. Each night, before she goes to sleep, she says "Are you there, God?" and she recounts her day and wishes for…moreIt's almost as if God is her diary. Each night, before she goes to sleep, she says "Are you there, God?" and she recounts her day and wishes for things. She also tries to find God throughout the book. She wants to know Him, but she is confused with how to do so. Her mothers family is Christian and her father's family is Jewish.(less)

Erin
Apr 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: once-upon-a-time
I first read this book in kindergarten. After getting into an argument with the PTA lady running the school book fair about whether or not I could buy the book (I thought she was trying to imply that I couldn't read it, which I found insulting) - an argument that was ultimately settled by a call home to my mom - I brought the book home and read it all on a Friday night. Up past my bedtime, I snuck downstairs, where my parents were entertaining friends, and announced that I had a question about w ...more
Stina
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it pathetic that as a girl, once you learn about periods, you just can't wait to get one, and then for the rest of your life, you just wish the effers would go away? Except of course, the periods that show up JUST when you need them to- like when one is perhaps a few days late and not super confident in her decision-making skills during the last month. Those periods are probably even better than the satisfaction of that very first one.

K.D. Absolutely
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Time 100
Shelves: chick-lit, time-100, ya
During the final round in the 2011 Miss Universe pageant, Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup was asked this question:
”Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person you love? Why or why not?”
Supsup answered:
”If I had to change my religious beliefs, I will not marry the person that I love. Because the first person that I love is GOD who created me. And I have my faith and my principles. And these what make makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God too. T
Julie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a little scrap of a white girl, growing up, and the daughter of Midwestern parents as well. Mom and Dad were sheltered, small town people who had been relocated to the subtropics of South Florida and raised their children there. Our family was an island of conservatism and traditionalism among an extremely multicultural sea.

Our quiet, casserole-eating crew had very good manners, and spoke quietly, but we spoke not of feelings, and we deferred always to Dad's opinions. In contrast, our Hisp
Lola
This novel discusses subjects of importance to preteen girls, like kissing, bras, boys and menstruation. Presence of religion, but no exasperating preaching. Parents, gift this to your children.

As a side note, Margaret is the only girl I know who is excited about getting her period. The way I see it, the longer the wait, the better. Because blood, cramps and no white pants.
Deanna
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm feeling very nostalgic today.

I can still remember sitting on the floor in the library and reading this book. One of my favorite authors when I was young.

If I didn't have so much to read I would read it again now. Actually if I can find my box of old books I probably will read it again. I LOVED this book :)
Tiphany
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who use the word "menses".
Oh, how I do miss the 1970 edition of this book. Somehow the cute little cover girl of the new edition, what with the sparkling eyes and her head in the clouds, doesn't express the loneliness and contemplative nature of Miss M. in the same way the little girl with lank brown hair and brown knee socks did. And how else can one completely alarm and overwhelm a modern 10-year-old about the mysteries of the pubescent female body without the mention of the belt?

When I first read the book, not only wa
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Eeks am I getting behind in posting reviews. Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret was my final selection for Banned Books Week. I was extremely hesitant to re-read this since it was one of my childhood favorites. I was terrified my trip down memory lane would wind up filled with potholes and other bumps in the road that would lessen my enjoyment. Boy was I wrong! I loved Margaret just as much now as I did back then. Judy Blume was my g
Alex
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those waiting for busts and/or periods
Shelves: 2017
The first thing Margaret asks God is "Don't let New Jersey be too horrible," so you know she's in for a rough time with God. The second thing she asks for is boobs.

What makes Blume so wonderful - well, there are lots of things, but one of them is that she respects her audience, which is specifically 12-year-old girls and no one else. She's tackling big subjects here - puberty and God, so that's half of the entire list of Big Subjects - and she respects their difficulty. Margaret is the product
Sheri
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Margaret, the growing up years are starting off with a myriad of changes. She moves to a new city, attends a new school, makes new friends, maintains a close relationship with her Grandma, and grapples with her lack of a defined religion all while navigating the complexities of the pre-teen years. Margaret is on the cusp of adolescence and all she wants is to fit in and be “normal”.

Judy Blume has done a fantastic job of relating the thoughts and feelings girls experience as they begin to ma
John
Mar 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book again very recently as part of a program in which volunteers help teach childen and adults who have difficulty with reading and comprehension to read for understanding and ulimately enjoyment.

The girl I was reading with was very moved by the book. I guess, I had taken it for granted. Blume clearly knows her audience and speaks to them. As a young, fat boy, I read Blubber and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (along with 1001 Arabian Nights) over and over under the covers by the y
Deborah Markus
I loved this book so much as a kid. It was interesting rereading it now.

One thing that startled me was something I barely noticed when I was younger: Margaret gets very angry at God at one point, and decides she's not talking to him any more. She thinks he's been mean to her, and she's hitting back as best she can.

Which is fine. Very believable. But then she starts telling everyone that she doesn't believe in God. And whenever she says that, she thinks to herself that she hopes he's listening.
Emer
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer by: My Mum
GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I'm feeling nostalgic!!!!

Oh I remember reading this book when I was 11 years old and I'd just gotten my first period (oh the trauma!!!!!!) and knew NOTHING about EVERYTHING even though I refused to admit publicly that I didn't understand anything!!!

And there was Margaret. As clued in and as clueless as I was!!! She was a wonderful protagonist. And I DISTINCTLY remember the contraptions that Judy Blume described as for use as a sanitary towel in this book.... belts and all sort
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
You have to love a book with the lines "We must, we must, we must increase our busts."
Rebecca McNutt
This is an excellent middle-grade classic about a girl who, rather than having to pick a faith, creates her own personal version of faith and religion. Creative and daring, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret is an incredible story for all ages.
Justin
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there feminine side? It's me, Justin. It was great getting to know you better. Full review on the way....
Sara Kamjou
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, fiction
داستان کتاب در مورد دختری ۱۲ ساله به اسم مارگارته که تازه وارد دوره نوجوونی شده، داره خودش، بدنش، عقایدش و حتی دیدگاهش به خدا رو وارسی و کشف میکنه.
به نظرم کتاب برای دخترهای نوجوون میتونه خیلی جذاب باشه و برای خودم بامزه و یادآور خاطرات درگیریهای ذهنی کمابیش مشابه تو اون رده سنیه.
شخصیتپردازی کتاب متوسط اما شیوه روایت برام بسیار جذاب بود. اما پایانبندی کتاب رو دوست نداشتم و به نظرم یه دفعهای تموم شد و هنوز خیلی جای کار داشت.
+ من نسخه انگلیسی کتاب رو خوندم و پیشنهاد می کنم اصلا نسخه فارسی رو نخونید
Brian Yahn
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there, Judy Blume? It's me, Brian. I loved your book. I devoured it in one sitting. It was enlightening but at the same time funny as can be. Never had I ever wanted to be a ten year-old girl, and now I kind of do. Is that okay? Am I normal? I find myself going up to my friends and saying, "I must--I must--I must increase my bust." They think it's strange. Anyway, thanks for writing this story. It was more fun than a Pixar movie and taught me a lot. I hope you have a good day.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
No Boyz Allowed!1!!!1eleven!1!!one!1!!

4 stars for my love of the book as a child.

2 stars for how it reads now as an adult.

= 3 star average.

I was cleaning out my stuff and found this book and had a sudden urge to revisit my childhood.

As a child, this was one of those books that I read over and over (probably because my mom didn't want me reading it). I was probably about 9 or 10 when I snuck (wait, this isn't a word? why am I getting spell-checked?) Are You There God? into my house.

It put the f
melissa
Apr 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prohibited from reading Judy Blume books. My parents said so. So, beginning in the seventh grade, I secretly checked them out from the school library and hid in my room and read them instead of doing homework. Ahhh, clandestine reading. This was the first that I read and, though not my favorite Judy Blume, definitely something I wouldn't mind taking a crack at now. I wonder if it would be as good reading it now that my parents don't care?
anique
Mar 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Every Saturday growing up, my mother would drop me off at the public library and wouldn't come back for several hours. Instead of dwelling on the problem of abandonment, I got lost in the stacks and one day found this book. I remember loving it and rooting for and identifying with the main character--a girl trying to reach out, needing only someone to listen to her as she tries to figure out what the hell is going on.
Lala
I read this book while living in Greece and listening to Kasey Casem's top forty. I remember that "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was the number one song and I also remember Casey telling the story of Bonnie Tyler's vocal dramedy and comeback. What does it have to do with this book? Um, not much.

I was about ten, aleady had boobs and a period (both of which I wanted to jettison). I found the book amusing because I could relate to the religious power struggle that plagued our protag. Also I was the
Ammara Abid
This book is not for me.
Manybooks
I was with head shaking and consternation reading (or at least trying to peruse without either grumbling or laughing derisively) some of the more vehemently negative reviews (the tirades) for Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret?, and ha, ha, ha, what many of these ranters and ravers so unilaterally and utterly despise about Judy Blume's Middle Grade girl's classic, is precisely what I have always loved, and what I totally and utterly personally appreciated when I read this novel at around the a ...more
Carolyn Heinze
Re-read this recently for the hell of it and was once again swept away by Blume's talent for capturing the adolescent spirit (god, how awful puberty was). Unfortunately, the newer addition featured some technical updates (women will know what I mean), and I see why they did this, however I think girls today would be well served to learn how clunky feminine hygiene products were back when Margaret first hit the shelves.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: don't jump the gun, wait until you're Margaret's age, and totally crazy
This book made no sense to me (no, I didn't read it en español, that was just the best cover). I thought the characters were totally crazy, and couldn't relate at all to their bizarre obsessions and behavior. I could not for the life of me figure out why anyone in her right mind would look forward to bleeding out of her private parts, let alone what was so desirable about wearing a bra, or growing breasts in the first place, let along pubic hair (ew!). Later on, sadly, I would become all too fam ...more
Bethany
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✨Molly✨
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margret moved to New Jersey from New York and on the first day of 6th grade and joins a secret club with her friends.
Beverly
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful about the way kids think.
Judy
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade girls and their moms

THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ

Judy Blume is nine years older than I am. I did not read her books growing up because they weren't published yet. They would have helped me a great deal but by the time this one was published in 1970, I was married and having my first baby.

I decided to read this now because I have come to the part of my memoir where I need to write about my early awareness of sex and all that goes along with changing from a child to a teen to a young woman. I found myself very blocked and f
101 Books to Read...: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret 2 6 Apr 07, 2018 07:06AM
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Fifteen  (First Love, #1)
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
“We must, we must, we must increase our bust.” 78 likes