Start by marking “Killer by Nature” as Want to Read:
Killer by Nature

Killer by Nature

Are we born evil, or do we have evil thrust upon us? This is the eternal question of nature vs nurture at the centre of Killer by Nature, a brand-new psychological thriller from Audible Originals.

Dr. Diane Buckley, a talented freelance forensic psychologist, is drafted in to examine a grisly murder - a body found in a children's playground. The murder carries all the
Audible Audio, 5 pages
Published November 30th 2017 by Audible Studios (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Killer by Nature, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Robin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Killer by Nature
Erin
Audiobook narrated by Katherine Kelly, Rob James Collier and a full cast. 4h 32 minutes 02 seconds

Chosen as one of my Audible original selections for the month of February, I was completely sold on this ten episode thriller. Katherine Kelly (Becky, Cornation Street) and Rob James Collier (Barrow, Downton Abbey) were absolutely captivating. The whole cast was awesome and even though one could probably argue with me that this shouldn't be considered as one of my 2019 reading challenge books.
Tania
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars because this was soooo much fun!!! Killer by Nature was another audible freebie for February, a fully dramatized production with an amazing cast of narrators. As every one has said this definitely feels like watching a TV show. I thoroughly enjoyed all the different accents. James Collier Smith was brilliantly creepy as Alfred Dinklage. Make no mistake, there story is filled with cliches and the music between episodes are oh so very cheesy, but I thought it made this ...more
Valene Hill
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This audible book was AWESOME!!! First, this plays out like a TV show. There are many characters, so it's not just a person reading a book. It has sound effects and all. I loved it. I imagined what each character looked like and what it looked like at the location that they were in. They story is excellent, but the ending left you wanting more. It is a drama and that's exactly how it plays out and there is a surprise at every turn. It does not end how you think that it will. I hate when I know ...more
Sonja Arlow

The production value of this Audible Original reminded me of the radio dramas I used to listen to as a kid. A full cast of narrators, sound effects and eerie nursery rhymes that does justice to the phrase “theatre of the mind”

This was solid entertainment, even if it isn't the kind of story that will stick with me for very long.

Recommended
Dawn C
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: media-audible
This gave me so many angry feelings about moms, particularly my own so I don’t think I enjoyed it as much as I could have for entirely personal reasons. Great performances, though.
Jen Bernardini
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I just can't. So, this was an audible original. One of those freebies at the beginning of the month. The premise seemed promising. You know, a serial killer murder-mystery.

It's dramatized. Normally, this is a good thing.Not this time. There's so much background hub-bub going on that it's hard to pay attention to the voices. And the voice acting? Some of those actors sound exactly the same, which leads to major confusion. Also, you're listening away and then all of a sudden there's a break in
Wendy Bunnell
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the most stylistically produced audiobooks I've ever read, I picked this up as an Audible freebie for the month of February. Oh, love month, bring on the sociopathic killers.

The story was compelling, and the format of having short "episodes" within the already short content worked well for me as I think it was supposed to sound like a podcast. I'm ancient and have never actually listened to a podcast, so this made me feel hip and happening. I also liked the "story within a story"
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
This was really good fun to listen to! I listened to it at 1.5 and it was pretty normal paced at that sped up speed.

I really liked the casting and voicing for this one. It was like listening to a tv show and that kind of amazes me! I loved the inclusion of the podcast and all the sound effects included. It really had a haunting and creepy atmospheric feel to it and they managed to create that so well. Even though I was only listening I could easily visualise all the characters and the kind of
Char
3.5/5 stars!
Tay
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting listen, but also a cliche in basically every way possible:
(view spoiler)
Nancy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Like other reviewers I got this from Audible in their free to members monthly (Feb 2019) give away. It was the only one offered that got reviews that made me want to hear it. This was a very unique style of narration, more like listening to a radio show. Each character had their own narrator. I liked that style, wouldn't want it for every book, but this was nice. Story was very good and looked forward to hear what was coming next.
Natasha
This was a free audiobook from Audible and while I didn’t hate the book, I definitely won’t listen to it twice. The story was good but the sound effects and music were distracting. Each chapter is announced by loud music; by the end of 3 hours, my nerves couldn’t take it and I found myself skipping ahead to avoid it. I wish I could have done the same through the footsteps sound effects. That was some strong ASMR, which is fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

The serial killer reciting nursery
Rissa
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Killer by nature
What makes a killer? Or are some people just born with those killer instincts.
This was a full production following a killer hoping to catch him before he kills again. I liked the music it made it more suspenseful but at times i just wanted the story and less dooo dooo dooo.
And since we follow the family that the killer is after there is alot of mundane commentary. I wanted more action less family quarrel.
Claudia Turner
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Performances in this audible original were superb... story not so much. The music was cheesy and detracted from the overall vibe.
Cynthia
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Since I generally require a physical copy of the book for reference to help me process a story if I try to listen to an audiobook, I thought I’d really challenge myself by listening to an audiobook that didn’t have a physical book available for me to follow along with. I chose this story because it was free although it did also sound interesting.

This was very different than what I’d expected. It played out like a TV show that I was listening to without any visuals. I didn’t particularly like the
Ernesto I. Ramirez
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, audiobook, drama
The story is quite interesting and so are the parallels the parallels between Dr. Buckley's family and Dinklage. the Playground Killer. The personal drama is also not out of place.

My true issue is that some of the accents are harder to get and quite similar voices and no narrator some scenes are confusing between identifying what is happening and those involved. Especially, there are some moments that would have been smoothed by the existence of a Narrator.
Aliaq8
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rated-4
this was fun to listen to.. i didnt love the ending, but still was fun.
Rasheed
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
The performance was great but the plot was kind of cliche . I felt like I could predict what was going to happen in every episode.
Danielle Cintron
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Interesting story but I miss the details a book gives. This story lacks details. You can’t see the crime scenes like with a novel. It’s like listening to a TV show.
Angela Oatham
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great listen. I love these fully dramatised Audible productions they really bring listening to life.
Tanya
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was one of the free audible originals that I chose last month. It did not capture my attention and had lots of weird sound effects that annoyed me.
Elizabeth
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy these. It was a free monthly audiobook and I enjoy murder mysteries. It is a dramatic reading with a cast and it was really hard to follow the characters and the story for quite a bit. That is why it wasn't 5 stars. There were times it was like you are listening to the TV, you feel like there should be things you are seeing, but you cannot see them. And, some of the voices were hard to follow who was talking to know which character was which.

The plot is great and there are some fun
Angela H.
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible, thriller, mystery
1.5 Stars

This is the first original audible I listened to. I enjoyed the narrative with the music and dramatization; however, I found the story to be too bland for me. I did not find the detailed content I was looking for. The music / sounds distracted me as much as I enjoyed it.
TheGeekyBlogger
Listened for Fun (Audible )
Overall Rating: 3.00
Story Rating: 3.00
Character Rating: 3.00

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

Quick Thoughts: This was an OK thriller. I felt it could have been flushed out more but the performance was really well done. Overall, I won't relisten to it again.
Tejas
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm, nothing that lives up to the reviews. I don't see any plot or nail biting suspense (or may be I didn't get it)
Either way, I give an extra star for the performance
Jeff Harris
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, owned
The story had some moments but didn't have anything that really stood out as being unique or intriguing.

I was a bit let down by the "enhanced" nature of the audio production. The sound effects and musical notes felt misplaced at times: dramatic music after someone leaves a voice mail saying "call me back, it's important!" felt forced. Some of the sound effects were distracting too. I think there was only one scene when suddenly you heard the person's footsteps clomping loudly in a hallway.

Selena
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listening-to
So good, so well done and I love, love, love Robert James-Collier who played Thomas on Downton Abbey.
Scott  Hitchcock
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
Audible original free book. Trying to be edgy it was distracting and hard to hear. The amped up melodrama wasn't believable and the stories boring.
Claudia Diaz
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think the music was supposed to make it creepier but just made it super cheesy.
Kait
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-prose
Well produced, fast paced, and mostly easy to follow.

• The Demon Next Door
  • The Darkwater Bride
  • Folsom Untold: The Strange True Story of Johnny Cash's Greatest Album
  • A Mind of Her Own
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • The Last Days of August
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • Sovereign