Start by marking “Sour Candy” as Want to Read:
Sour Candy

Sour Candy

At first glance, Phil Pendleton and his son Adam are just an ordinary father and son, no different from any other. They take walks in the park together, visit county fairs, museums, and zoos, and eat together overlooking the lake. Some might say the father is a little too accommodating given the lack of discipline when the child loses his temper in public. Some might say h ...more
Published November 6th 2017 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published November 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Sour Candy, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michael Prentice So far as I can tell, the baby is what came out of Pendleton, with the idea that Cortez is next in line. Poor fella'.

Start your review of Sour Candy
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Four months to the day he first encountered the boy at Walmart, the last of Phil Pendleton's teeth fell out."

Phil Pendleton and his son Adam have a typical father-son relationship, although perhaps Phil is a bit too lenient with Adam - he is allowed to set his own bedtime, eat as much candy as he wants. However, what no one knows is that until a few weeks previous Phil had never seen the child before in his life.

It blows my mind how Burke manages to pack so much into such a small number of page
Debra
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Apparently, no one told Phil Pendleton to never take candy from strangers, especially in a Walmart and especially if that candy is sour. Because if you do, it will leave a bad taste in your mouth!

Phil and his son are a picture-perfect example of a father-son duo. They look so happy together on their walks and museum excursions. No one would know that things are not as they seem. Until a couple of weeks ago, Phil's life was entirely different. He didn't have a son and is now a prisoner i
Char
You know what? All I'm going to say about this novella is: This is one fucked up story. You should read it. (Oh, and I love you, KPB!)
karen
74 pages of supernatural gaslighting in which aaaaaancient beeeeeings pull a parent trap on happily childless everyman phil pendleton—shoehorning an eight-year-old demon shriek of a child into his life with wide-eyed disingenuity, “who, dis? he is ur child, don’t u remember? everyone eeeeelse in ur life remembers him! also, he's in ur photographs haha we’re so bad!”

so phil is saddled with this creature who calls him “daddy” and drags him to all of those child-distracting places like museums and
Ginger
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I really loved this one!

For a horror novella, Sour Candy was the perfect length! It had an interesting plot, excellent writing and was damn creepy!
The plot starts off with Phil Pendleton grocery shopping and experiences a cringe worthy experience in the store. A child is screaming hysterically at his mother for sour candy. After this meeting, Phil's life changes drastically and horrifying by this little boy.

Looking forward to reading more from Kealan Patrick Burke! What an imagination this guy h
megs_bookrack
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book, which feels weird to say because of the dark content.

It is horrifying, grisly, stomach-churning, haunting, and I loved every minute of it.

I mean, what can I say, it's what I like.

Sour Candy was my Halloween night read. I lit a pumpkin scented candle, grabbed an adult beverage, snuggled into my bed and read it from start to finish.

Coming in under 100-pages, this novella packs a lot in.

Phil Pendleton has his head in the clouds, straight off a hot night with his lady, as
Edward Lorn
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I try not to read too much KPB back to back. Not because his stuff is bad, but because I don't want to seem like a shill. This guy can do no wrong in my eyes. Even when I don't fall head over heels for one of his pieces, I still end up enjoying myself. I fear that if I read his stuff closer together, my feed would simply be a string of five-star reviews for his work. Because, in my opinion, this dude is just that good.

Sour Candy was a creepy good time. The Elders (or Eldres, as they are sometim
Paul Nelson
In Sour Candy, Kealan Patrick Burke weaves a dread inducing psychological horror novella that seriously wreaks mayhem with your sanity.

Phil Pendleton was more than willing to pay a visit to Wal-Mart to restock on chocolate sex rewards, the memory of Lori in pink silk undies (with leather paddle and ball gag, fun times) and hot shagging fresh in his mind. When the kid screamed like a banshee and shattered his love lust euphoria.

An unsettling scream queen style screech from a boy no less and somet
Larry
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A tight 72 pages, read in one sitting. For me, better than Kin, but a low bar. I was feeling good about the decision to give this author another chance, then we learned why the child exists, and I was done. Against better judgment, I think I’m going to ready Blanky...
Ashley Daviau
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My oh my does this little novella ever pack one hell of a punch! This is by far one of the creepiest and most unsettling books I’ve read in a long time and it was absolutely delicious! Right from the beginning I felt a mounting sense of dread and it only grew from there. Something about creepy kids terrifies me like nothing else can and this story takes creepy kids to a whole new horrifying level! And I don’t think I’ll ever be able to look at sour candy the same way after reading this, just thi ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Our story here begins like so many others. A simple trip to the store and an encounter with a frazzled mother and her charming youngster . . . .

When our main character Phil fails to give what the kid was just begging for . . . .

He’s left with a simple, yet ominous message by the child’s mother . . .

“Yours now.”

And so begins life with Adam . . . .

Yeah, I’m just not a fan of short stories. I don’t know what to tell yo
Kimberly
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story SOUR CANDY, by Kealan Patrick Burke, is perhaps the best psychological horror novella that I have read, to date, in 2015!

Phil Pendleton is a man living a happy life with his girlfriend, Lori, when an innocent encounter with a woman and boy at Walmart send him spiraling into near mental insanity. On the way home, a fender-bender begins to show Phil just how MUCH has changed. . . Suddenly, Phil finds the boy from the store at his home,and everyone around informing him that this is his so
Sandeep
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories

Phil Pendleton is a man living a happy life with his girlfriend, Lori, when an innocent encounter with a woman and boy at Walmart send him spiralling into near mental insanity. On the way home, a fender-bender begins to show Phil just how MUCH has changed. . . Suddenly, Phil finds the boy from the store at his home,and everyone around informing him that this is his son, Adam.

For a ho
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Phil Pendleton can’t help but wake up with a smile, when he catches sight of the vision standing by the bathroom door, and recalls that sweet, sweet night of loving. He’s promised more fun times to come, if he’ll run by the store to pick up a few essentials. However, after a brief run-in with a screaming kid and his strangely unresponsive mother, round two may have to be put on hold . . . indefinitely.

This one was nothing at all like what I was expecting. It sort of flips the script on the idea
Zoeytron
Don't take candy from strangers! Where has Phil Pendelton been not to know? A grown man, and he ignores this worthy adage.

A boundless bounty of candy, only the sour kind will do. The author taps into a frightening alternate reality and Phil is plopped right smack down in the middle of it. His sanity starts to crack as he hears the hideous screaming. His health is in the toilet, and then he loses his teeth. All of them.

Don't miss out on this one. It is fiendishly delicious!
☠Kayla☠
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is 74 pages of pure anxiety and I fucking loved it!! Sadly I can't say much about it because I don't want to give anything away, but I loved this novella so much. It's about this man named Phil and his son Adam who seem to be just an ordinary family, going to zoos and parks and family outings. Phil seems to be a single father who is struggling to juggle a home life and job and its taking a toll on him with his health declining. But what people don't realize is up until a few weeks ago ...more
mark monday
I would like to point out how weirdly ironic it is that I'm having a conversation with a 9-year-old on the thread of this here review for this here story... a story which features a lil' demon of, I assume, the same age or so. wtf!

except I am confident that Xavier is not a lil' demon/avatar for dark higher powers but is instead an especially bright kid who should not read this story. good story, but not a good story for Xavier, who should be reading other things.
Gabby
This was a very creepy, short read. I read it really late at night which added to the suspense. I would like to read more form this author!
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
***SPOILER ALERT***

OK...so after thinking and pondering what the hell I was going to write...I decided to just free-ball it. Fuck it...I can sit here and pull this story apart piece by piece and try to figure out the deeper meaning...but then again...I really think that KPB doesn't mean for this book to say anything else than what the story contains.

This is a horror...psychologically speaking. And this is where I went wrong.

I noticed that Jahy and Carla were reading it and having a problem figur
James
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good GOD, this is the creepiest thing I've read in a long, long time. Every horror fan should read this immediately. It's fantastic.
Bill
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Kealan Patrick Burke is on my top 10 author list and probably more like top 5. I have never read anything by him that was anything less than pretty damn great. Sour Candy is no exception.

Phil Pendleton's life is turned upside down after an incident in the candy isle at Walmart. All he wanted was some chocolate for his girlfriend to take it back to the apartment so they could eat it, watch movies and make sweet, sweet love all day. Is that too much to ask? To top it off, fucking Walmart didn’t e
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This is my second stand alone novella that I've read by Kealan Patrick Burke, the first being "Blanky" which I read on Halloween night and it sparked an instant-fan binge read of a novel, "KIN" and a collection of short stories called, "Milestone".
So it's an understatement to say that I *loved* Sour Candy.
This is horror at its best and I'll tell you why: As a HUGE fan of the genre, I can usually guess within the first chapter or so, where the gut punches are going to be--is this one going to be
Cindy Newton
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick little read that packed a powerful punch. It was strongly reminiscent of a Twilight Zone episode with its surreal quality, but I guess the most horrifying aspect of it is how utterly innocuous the main character and the setting are. Burke makes you feel that this could happen to anybody, and drives home the randomness and unpredictability of life. Phil Pendleton is an average guy on a Walmart run, and shortly thereafter his entire life is transformed into a horror show. His neme ...more
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
What the WHAT!!!! I never want to eat another piece of candy again!!!
I need more KPB books. So far the two I’ve read have blown me away. Blanky is up next.
Glen Krisch
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this novella might be my favorite read of the year.
Carol
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HA! Been to Walmart lately? Enter here at your own risk!

Just eat a piece of SOUR CANDY and take a trip into The Twilight Zone .......or your worst nightmare. Take. Your. Pick.

Chilling little novella......if you like madness!

Michael Sorbello
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews, horror
Synopsis: At first glance, Phil Pendleton and his son Adam are just an ordinary father and son, no different from any other. They take walks in the park together, visit county fairs, museums, and zoos, and eat together overlooking the lake. Some might say the father is a little too accommodating given the lack of discipline when the child loses his temper in public. Some might say he spoils his son by allowing him to set his own bedtimes and eat candy whenever he wants. Some might say that such ...more
Jon Recluse
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
For Phil Pendleton, a relatively happy man running an errand at his local WalMart, his encounter with a frazzled mother and her spoiled child was just business as usual at the world's most famous chain asylum.
But Phil is wrong, for his normal life is about to spin out of control, taking Reality with it, as he finds himself facing something unspeakable from the mists of legend and folklore, something that will cost him his sanity and his life.......
Kealan Patrick Burke offers up a truly chilling
Tracy Robinson
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-own
This book is a jab of unique horror. Well-written, thoroughly engaging, and suitably shocking, this little novella is just like that sharp twinge in the corner of your mouth that only happens when something particularly, well, SOUR hits your taste buds.

The mythos created in these 74 pages is one I hope Burke plans to expand on or revisit in future endeavors. If not, this novella is perfectly crafted on its own, and I suppose I'll be satisfied with just the one. After all, having a widely varied
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That was as deliciously unsettling and beautifully crafted as everything else I have read from Kealan has been. Full review coming soon!
Around the Year i...: Sour Candy, by Kealan Patrick Burke 2 28 Jun 23, 2016 04:51AM

• Night of the Mannequins
  • The Pale White
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Scratches
  • Out Behind the Barn
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more

Articles featuring this book

For as long as people have been telling stories, we’ve spun tales of the monsters and nightmares that lurk in the shadows of our imaginations....
“Sour candy trumps chocolate.” 5 likes
“A line from a book he’d read in highschool popped into his mind: The nameless are easier to bury.” 5 likes