Start by marking “On the Night You Were Born” as Want to Read:
On the Night You Were Born

On the Night You Were Born

On the night you were born,
the moon smiled with such wonder
that the stars peeked in to see you
and the night wind whispered.
"Life will never be the same."

On the night you were born, the whole world came alive with thanksgiving. The moon stayed up till morning. The geese flew home to celebrate. Polar bears danced.

On the night you were born you brought wonder and magic to th
Published October 17th 2006 by Feiwel & Friends (first published January 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On the Night You Were Born, please sign up.
Kath It would create a great connection for sharing your love for your child through reading.

Jenn Robertson
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My daughter was born 4 months premature and only weighed 11 ounces. The doctors had never seen a baby like her survive, and didn't give us much hope. The only thing I could do for my daughter was read to her hoping that it would comfort her in some small way. I remember standing in Barnes and Nobles just days after I was released from the hospital looking for something to read her and came across this book. I stood there and read this...and I bawled. The message that you are a one of a kind mira ...more
Archit Ojha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The purpose of this book is evident. It makes one feel better about themselves. It is very difficult to find someone who is exactly like you - sums up this one for me.
KatLynne
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A wonderful Children's book for all ages
This book has been a favorite for many years at our house. It conveys how special and wanted each child is and celebrates their uniqueness. On a certain page I whisper each of my little grands names, and from 7 yrs down to the 12 month old, they love it! Highly recommend!

An excerpt:.....

"On the night you were born,
the moon shone with such wonder
that the stars peeked in
to see you
and the night wind whispered,
'Life will never be the same.'

Because there had never been
anyone like you...
ever in the w
Hannah Notess
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Too much text in the text-to-picture ratio, and the message is "all the animals and nature and stuff care about you, because you are the center of the universe." Sorry, sweet baby, they don't, and you aren't.

Pictures are quite lovely, though.
Adina Cappell
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the literary equivalent of "your call is very important to us." Basically, you're supposed to madly lib the child's name, and the kid is subsequently meant to understand that she's so extraordinary, that the geese honk all morning and the bears dance all night, and "heaven" plays all kinds of trumpets and horns to commemorate the day of [fill in]'s glorious birth. There are surely better ways for children to feel special and loved, to appreciate the wondrous beauty of the natural world, ...more
Joe Hess
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was at Sam's Club last Christmas, lamenting how the year's business allowed us precious little room for gift giving, even though we had made the promise to ourselves to only send gifts to the children in our lives, when this book reeled me in. Out of the hordes of stacks one typically finds there, it somehow magically drew my attention (c'mon, how do you not notice a pair of dancing polar bears?), I read it, and a grown man cried in a budget emporium. Snatched it right up along with It's Time ...more
Meagan
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, silas
I like the idea behind this book, but I think the message is overdone. We certainly celebrate, love, and cherish our son, but contrary to the message of this book, he is not the center of the universe. We don't want him to think he is, because so often that sentiment turns to self-centeredness and a disregard for others.
Erica
Sep 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: baby
Am I the only one creeped out by the worshipful tone of this book?
Marie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: THE WORLD!
This is one of the most wonderfully inspirational books I have ever read! http://www.nancytillman.com/books/night/

We musn't forget to encourage our 'very young people' to read and to appreciate the beauty of the traditional BOOK. Nancy Tillman's series does just that.
On the Night You Were Born is beautifully done. The prose is poetically precious
On the Night You Were Born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered, "Life will never be the s
Kate
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a children’s book that has a slow, lyrical, majestical quality to it. It is a book that emphasizes to children that no matter where they are, they are loved.
Brandi
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Brandi by: My midwife
My sweet midwife gave this book to my 5th baby. I can't help getting choked up each time I read it. The book fit his birth so well too. I love the musical words and lovely pictures. My children love this book, as do I!

The book is a beautiful way to tell your child that they are special, and his/her life was celebrated at birth.
Bekka
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the illustrations, but how does it not make a child narcissistic?
Maria Carmo
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A marvellous book for children! And for their parrents! A celebration of LIFE and LOVE...
Christa
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cool book if you want your kid to think the world revolves around them. Too bad about the message; the style and illustrations are lovely.
Bronwyn
This was really sweet but I think my son’s a bit young for it yet. :)
Amber
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New moms
"On the Night You Were Born" is a picture book by Nancy Tillman. This book received the Mom's Choice Award for the Best Inspirational Children's Picture Book by the Just For Mom Foundation. It is intended for children from birth to 2 years (N). "On the Night You Were Born" is a picture book about just that. This book rhymes the story of what happened when “you” were born. How “your” name sailed through the world until wind, rain, farmland, ocean and trees knew that the world had changed because ...more
Lisa Vegan
I was riveted by the illustrations, and I think young kids will want to interact with them. Hence, it would be useful if there were a board book edition of this book. Some of the illustrations seem to come right off the page when viewed.

I love the idea of nature (including animals, plants, the wind, the moon) celebrating the birth of a child, and celebrating joyfully that unique child.

I could have done without the zoo bears; the “wild” polar bears were sufficient for bears’ participation, in my
Candice
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
Shelves: picture-books
I have seen this book in stores and love the dancing polar bears on the cover. Now that I've read the book, it's on my list of gifts to give. It would be perfect as a gift for a new baby, but also for a birthday gift and to someone who's a bit down and needs to be reminded of how special they are, for that's what this book is all about. When I read it I was taken back almost seven months to the night that Sophie was born - a special night and a very special little girl. The rhyming text conveys ...more
Devon Hernandez
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's been 8 months. I never got a chance to buy one book for Asher. I went to B&N tonight for a different book and this one caught my eye in line for checkout. I took it as a sign to pick it up and read it, not without hard-to-swallow hesitation. My eyes filled up reading it and I took it with me to put with my treasures and memories. Maybe one day I'll get to read it to another precious child.

"So enchanted with you were the wind and the rain
That they whispered the sound of your wonderful
Maria
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The 411 by Maria:

A stunning reminder of how unique and wonderful we all are, in our very own way.
On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman is a poetic, masterpiece of how unique everyone is and how the universe loves you even when you forget just how amazing you are.

The colorful pages create a dreamy, beautiful world around the loving words that any parent feels for a child but also to everyone who lacks self esteem.

When I read this to my children, I had to force my voice not to quiver, as t
Kathryn
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Chandra, for recommending this. I, too, would probably have stayed away from it as it sounds too cloying and commercial--but it's not! It's really sweet and touching and I probably would love it even more if I were already a parent. As it is, I think it's a wonderful way to make children feel like special individuals--the fact that the moon and wind and animals celebrate the child's life would have totally appealed to me as a kid, since I loved animals and the idea of them celebrating ...more
Helene
Oct 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
ugh.

The text does not live up to the beautiful pictures (collages). Really, the polar bears aren't dancing for you. Yes, everyone's special and unique, but you can be special without thinking that animals celebrate you. You don't have to have all of nature shine just for you. Because what happens when that bubble is burst?
Darby
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautiful books for children I have ever read. It is an extraordinary story of why each of us is unique and how the world reacted when we were born. I bought this for each of my boys for their most recent birthday. I will give it as a gift for both birthdays and for births.
Arnetha
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! My grandson love this book. I have to read it to him over and over and over again. When I read it to him I put his name in different areas, that make him so happy he just smiles
Anna
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a tendency toward ritual, but in George's earliest days, my routines erred toward the superstitious. As I read article after article on baby sleep, I frequently read that it was important to institute a "consistent" bedtime routine. And so, fueled on sleep stretches that rarely lasted more than two hours, I began dressing and diapering and massaging and swaddling George always in the same order and place, and always with the same Japanese lullaby playing off of a Spotify playlist in the b ...more
Elaine Mullane
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books, 2018
This is just one of the books we picked up for our two littles this Christmas. I knew this was a New York Times bestseller but it didn’t seem to be that popular here in Ireland as far as I was concerned.

On the inside cover is a quote from the Bible: “You are fearfully and wonderfully made...”, which did make me a little skeptical. However, as you read on, it becomes clear that this book is a sweet little story about the true uniqueness that is present in every child. It is so tender and touchin
Kali
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got this as a baby shower gift, it is such a beautiful book! I can't wait to read it to our little one on the way. I know I'm going to be in tears reading this to him. It emphasizes just how unique and special each one of us is, each one created and adored by God.
Art Ellsworth
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Puppa liked this book Jack, very much! I couldn’t wait to read it, so I borrowed it from Hoopla! Don’t worry though Jack, Puppa will read it to you the next time I’m with you at your house!
Heather Tyminski
Overly sappy and ridiculous. The attempt at poetry falls flat. For genuine sentiment, pick up Munch's Love You Forever.
Lori Tatar
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words, beautiful illustrations

• God Gave Us You
  • You Are My I Love You
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • How Do I Love You?
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Someday
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • On the Day You Were Born
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • I Love You Because You're You
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Bright Baby Colors
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: And Other Favorite Bedtime Rhymes
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
  • That's Not My Snowman
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
Nancy Tillman created her first book, "On the Night You Were Born," to convey to children at an early and impressionable age, "You are the one and only ever you." Since then, Nancy has written and illustrated several bestselling books. She also illustrated It's Time to Sleep, My Love, with Eric Metaxas. Together, Nancy's books have sold in the millions. A former advertising executive, Tillman now ...more