Start by marking “This Is the Place” as Want to Read:
This Is the Place

This Is the Place

Sixty-four-feet tall and made of metal, the neon giant Wendover Will stands in front of the Stateline casino in Wendover, Nevada and faces east. The sign under him reads "This Is The Place." Over a hundred miles away in Utah, across the salt flats, stands the statue of Brigham Young, atop his monument, proclaiming the same thing, "This Is The Place."

This Is the Place is t/>This
Published March 17th 1997 by Anchor (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Place

Lorrie
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, peter-rock
This was the weirdest of Rock's books. It was a strange love story. Charlotte, a searching, Mormom girl, who was loved/worshipped/obsessed over, by a 70 year old man who dealt cards in a casino. Charlotte knew Johnson quietly followed her, kept a watch out for her, and even spied on her,but she tolerated his sick infatuation. She took up with Johnson's son, but didn't have a physical relationship with him. Instead they traveled together. The Mormom links, the trailer park theme, the desert with ...more
Laurie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Super confusing and hallucinatory account of an old blackjack dealer obsessed with a young girl... it was too weird and dark for me.
Nate Hendrix
Jul 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
I got 69 pages in and gave up. I read My Abandonment and really like it so I looked up his other books. This one was not good, it's about an old man that lives by himself and is obsesed with a younger woman. The story didn't seem to be going anywhere. I will try his other books and give him a chance.
Leah
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Picked it up used at Green Apple for a dollar to see what Pete Rock's stuff is really like. And actually, I liked it a lot for a while. The descriptions of the desert, the slow fleshing out of the characters are soothing and unsettling at the same time, and that's freaking hard to pull off. But he never ties it all together in the end. I'd read his stuff again.
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it

It was a good book. I liked the writing style a lot. The end was just a little disconnected. I understand the style, but I was hoping for something a little more solid. An answer instead of more questions.
Allison
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
This was jammed into my mailbox tonight. Thanks paperbackswap.com.
Abby
Howl
rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2012
Peter Rock
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rober Hodgson
Apr 12, 2015
Jen F
Sep 11, 2013
Michael Seidlinger
rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2011
Aug 25, 2015
Notcathy J
rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2007
Peter Rock was born and raised in Salt Lake City. His most recent novel is The Night Swimmers, which involves open water swimming, fatherhood, psychic photography and the use of isolation tanks as a means to inhabit the past. He is also the author of the novels SPELLS, Klickitat, The Shelter Cycle, My Abandonment, The Bewildered, The Ambidextrist, Carnival Wolves and This Is the Place, as well as ...more