Start by marking “The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter” as Want to Read:
The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter

The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter

The World Cafe is a flexible, easy-to-use process for fostering collaborative dialogue, sharing mutual knowledge, and discovering new opportunities for action. Based on living systems thinking, this innovative approach creates dynamic networks of conversation that can catalyze an organization or community's own collective intelligence around its most important questions. ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published April 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The World Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Cafe

Start your review of The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
Philip Mizener
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
An Inspiring Introduction to hosting conversations that matter
I found the essays by different practitioners in the field of group dialogue and facilitation gave a real flavour to the spirit and title of the book. It was my first introduction to a more detailed examination of what World Café dialogue is all about and I find it quite a foundational book, contrasting the more traditional view of Talk then Action, with a richer view of layers of dialogue , action, and further dialogue. I found the
Jeff
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Matters Most?

In a world in which we live and work in technological isolation, World Cafe holds the promise of conversations of real meaning. Who knows maybe conservatives and progressives could find some common ground. I liked the explication of the Spirit of World Cafe. It's not technique. It's a vehicle for creating a world of our choosing.
Aja
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love the The World Cafe, but I'm not so sure that this book is the best tool to learn how to do it. Although I guess it does get to the heart of the process.
Meg
Mar 18, 2007 rated it liked it
The idea of the World Cafe is great; the book is only so-so.
Fabian Ruiz
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely a wonderful and moving subject. The book does seem more like it was framed to be a business model. Nonetheless, it was a very organized method of creating good discussion in groups.
Ryan Barretto
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book which details possibilities of the power of conversation , if only people are allowed to have the conversations that matter. The authors have taken the time to detail out the exact steps required to run a cafe conversation. The 7 principles provide great insights not just about the process, but I find that I discovered something about myself too.

This book will be frequently referred to, as long as possible.
Derek Chen
World cafe is good practice to come out ideas from a lot of people, but this book is so-so. This book give a lot of real examples to tell you world cafe is good. For facilitator or host, we want to know how to facilitate or how to use this tool.
Peter Van
This book confirms my thinking about conversation and it's position at the heart of innovation, collaboration and learning.
Yapaag
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i like it
Naomi
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Juanita Brown and David Isaacs share stories and techniques of their methods for community dialogue and engagement to foster innovation, healing, and strengthening. Recommended for those interested in reviving and renewing communities or businesses and also for leaders.
Dennis Podryadchikov
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide on having meaningful and productive conversations that change worldviews.
Bridget
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A decent read for grad school, though a 200 page book that could've been pared down by about 50 pages.
Paul Sparks

• The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • Everything is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
  • Journey to Mars: What Our Journey To the Red Planet Might Look Like ?
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • The Moment of Clarity: Using the Human Sciences to Solve Your Toughest Business Problems