Start by marking “B Is for Beer” as Want to Read:
B Is for Beer

B Is for Beer

(Beer!)

A Children's Book About Beer?

Yes, believe it or not—but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, inter-nationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

Published April 21st 2009 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about B Is for Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B Is for Beer

Start your review of B Is for Beer
Amanda
I see you. Yes, you. The Tom Robbins fan. Quit making that face. Yank out the wedgie. Relax, man! This two-star rating bears no reflection on YOU. I’m not giving YOU two stars. I’m not even giving Tom Robbins two stars. It’s just that B is for Beer is terribly disappointing. I mean, you see the cover, right? Look at it! Look how totally awesome and retro it looks, right? You see the Simpson-esque largesse of the stein, with a hoard of dance-happy (overly long-armed) adults surrounding? They’re l ...more
David Schaafsma
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I read Tom Robbins decades ago for the madcap humor, the quips, the absurdity. The sheer wacky invention. B is for Beer has much less of all that—well, it is short, so it has less of everything, I guess—than I might have liked. I read that it was written as a kind of challenge—betcha can’t write a book about beer for children!--and it really isn’t. It’s a book for the Robbins fan club, grandpas and grandmas, most of them imagining reading it to their grandkids, maybe, but they really wouldn’t. I ...more
Sharon
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten how much I love Tom Robbins. His quirky sense of humor is as refreshing as a cold ...Diet Coke --sorry, I'm not a beer drinker :) But the book is funny--and insightful.

There are some great quotes here. Some of my favorites:

"You know what the game of golf is, don't you? It's basketball for people who can't jump and chess for people who can't think."

"Every time a person goes to the mall, she loses a little piece of her soul."

There's a warning from the Beer Fairy to Gracie:
"When cons
foteini_dl
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
The main characters fo this book are a 6-year old girl,her uncle and a fairy and...beer!Well,that's quite something.
Tom Robbins has a quirk sense of humor and in a point or two in the beginning there are Woody Allen-esque influences. His use of language is really good,too (not exceptional,but really good).Plus,he is an excellent storyteller and could easily write children's stories.
A light,readable and funny book is what you need when it's 40 degrees out there. And -some kind of-magic.And accord
Jeanette (Again)
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Morons
Shelves: garbage-disposal
D is for Dumb, Desperate, and Disappointing Drivel!
You know a book is really bad when it's only 125 pages long and you can't even get halfway through it.
I gave this one a whirl just to see what ol' Tom Robbins had been doing this past couple of years. Now I know. D is for Drinking too much beer. And it's also for Dead brain cells, of which you will need a lot if you hope to enjoy this pile of Dung.
Nick Iuppa
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Not sure this is a book for beer loving grandfathers to read to their young granddaughters, an infomercial for the brewing industry, or a cautionary for newly arriving AA members, or maybe all of the above. But it sure has it's funny moments... just not enough of them. BTW, the audiobook is really well done, and the narrator does a great job of speaking for a little girl, the beer fairy and the entire brewing industry.
Nate
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was a lighthearted treatise on the subject of beer, somehow told through the eyes of a 6 year-old. I laughed and learned quite a bit, and would recommend as a nice palate cleanser between novels.
Cindy
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Tom Robbins is still a genius!!! The only problem with this book is in keeping with the statement on the cover (A children's book for grown-ups, a grown up book for children) it is far too short. On the satisfaction meter though, it is right up there with a cold brew on a hot afternoon, after all the chores are done. Just sit back and say "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

If you haven't already bought it, and even if you have, Powells is offering signed editions, and since it is unlikely Tom is going to tour f
Elizabeth Vanderesch
B is for Beer is a fairy tale about beer, two things I have great fondness for. I love the idea of fairies and magic and happily ever afters. I also love beer. That said, this book was a win-win for this reader. Yes, the humor is a forced clever in a Lake Wobegon, NPR sort of way, but that shouldn't be an issue if you are choosing to read a book called B is for Beer whose main characters are a 6 year old girl, her philosopher uncle and the Beer Fairy.
Angie Boyter
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early report: By page 2 I was laughing hysterically but not at all sure I would say this is a one I would give to young kids!
It continued to be a lot of fun and VERY much what I would expect from Tom Robbins, but I still am not sure if it is a book for kids. In particular, he expressed some of his philosophical points in terms that I THINK are not simple enough for kids in vocabulary and expression. But I am not very kid-savvy and would welcome input from those who are.
Caryn
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a cute quick read. Not amazing, but not a bad way to pass the time.
Karen Robinson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Tightrope walking juvenile fiction/adult fiction, an interesting task to give oneself but Tom Robbins is so much better unleashed! Full credit for this attempt, it spoke openly and respectfully to youngsters while maintaining boundaries.
Juanita
Review: B Is For Beer by Tom Robbins.

Tom’s creativity creates a book about beer for children and adults. When I started the book I thought he did a wonderful job using a pixie to describe how beer was made to a six-year-old girl named Gracie Perkel. The subject was an educational lesson about how beer was made. Even as an adult I was getting a lesson of history myself. I never knew that the making of beer started centuries ago in Egypt. Robbins also used humor throughout the story which made me
Snotchocheez
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
What is up with my favorite humorist authors trying their hand at "SOMETHING NEW" ??? I attribute my love of reading today to Tom Robbins' ascerbic wit in the 80s and 90s, evidenced with terrific novels like "Still Life With Woodpecker", "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", "Jitterbug Perfume", "Skinny Legs and All", et.al. All of his novels have been irreverent, off-kilter, thought-provoking laugh-fests (for me, anyway). Mr. Robbins has never been a prolific writer, but about every four or ...more
Ann
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Mike Clinton
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it
From Amazon.com
"Yes, believe it or not--but B Is for Beer is also a book for adults, and bear in mind that it's the work of maverick bestselling novelist Tom Robbins, internationally known for his ability to both seriously illuminate and comically entertain.

Once upon a time (right about now) there was a planet (how about this one?) whose inhabitants consumed thirty-six billion gallons of beer each year (it's a fact, you can Google it). Among those affected, each in his or her own way, by all th
Jen
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I went to see Tom Robbins read from his new children's book B Is for Beer last night and it was pretty hilarious. He saw a cartoon with a publisher and writer in a bar, and the publisher says something to the writer along the lines of, "No, I don't think a children's book about beer would sell." Robbins saw it as a brilliant challenge, and the resulting book is in children's book form but is definitely for adults - aside from all of the rhapsodizing about beer, a 5-year-old gets drunk and later ...more
Melody
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Robbins uses some of the most muscular and flexible language I've ever read. His sentences are so finely crafted that each gleams. His skewed vision combined with his rarefied prose can make it difficult to notice when there's something missing. It's my opinion that as beautiful as this book is, it's also pedantic at its core. In a boring way.

Also, the spacing

of the prose

reminds me of term papers

which needed to be exactly 40 pages long.

It is worth reading for the joyful, playful, ebullient goofi
Linda
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
The idea of beer appeals to my inner blue-collar worker self. The reality of it makes me wrinkle my nose and stick out my tongue in a remarkable impression of the Mr. Yuk sticker. Nope, not a fan of beer, and not a fan of this book, with the exception of the parting speech the beer fairy gives Gracie, which should immediately be incorporated into every graduation ceremony address delivered in the U.S.

I'm told by fans of Robbins that I need to go read something else of his. Something with less be
Jade
Oct 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
A very weird tale between a young child's intrigue at beer and the impact of this substance in her life. There is also a very weird middle bit with the beer fairy (yes the beer fairy!) explaining how beer is made.

A sweet quick read, but a book with no depth, no real storyline and given it's randomness, just a bit weird. The supposed humour of the book doesn't even exist and Gracie is strangely the most advanced 6 year old I've ever heard of in my life.

If you're stuck in a waiting room with 30 mi
Brian
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It would have been hard for me to not love this book. Tom Robbins? Check. Beer? Check. A protagonist just like my daughter? Check. So there you have it, I loved it. Robbins' ode to the wonder of beer through the eyes of a five/six-year-old girl won me over from page one. Throw in hilarious characters like the Beer Fairy and Uncle Moe, and I think you just might like it too. And even if you don't, it'll only eat up at most a couple of hours of your time.
Clare
Nov 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure quasi-children's books are the best outlet for Tom Robbins' writing style. More often than not, his linguistic acrobatics and wink-wink-nudge-nudge jokes were distracting and annoying rather than humorous. Not to mention they didn't really do much to jazz up the frankly quite boring process of making beer. I'd rather learn the facts on a standard-issue brewery tour—at least they give you free beer at the end.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
D Is For DUMB:

Prior to reading this book I had never read anything written by him. After reading this book, I doubt I will read anything more written by him.

Funny? No. Amusing? Slightly.

A little girl who is intrigued by beer, accidentally gets drunk on the 6th birthday & pukes on her Hello Kitty rug.... In a drunker stupor she is visited by the Beer fairy who takes her on a tour of how beer is made, from the Barley fields to the brewery, to a Beer Festival.

Meh!
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book
Ughgh, I thought this book was very lame. Maybe I would have liked it a tiny bit more if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook, but I doubt it. S is for Stupid.
Michael Seidlinger
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like beer.

Can't say the same about this book.
Mountbatten
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
víla PIVOňka :-))))
Sue
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Had difficulty rereading his earlier books, but enjoyed this one. Bob, this one's for you! :)
Erin Britton
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Apparently, B Is for Beer got its start in life from a bet. Not an actual bet per se, but rather a bet featured in a cartoon featured in a newspaper that featured in Tom Robbins’ reading pile. The cartoon involved a publisher and a writer walking into a bar with the publisher remarking, “No, I don’t think a children’s book about beer would sell.” Robbins took this to be a challenge and so began to write B Is for Beer, his first book in six years. A fable about beer aimed at both children and adu ...more
Paul Harmon
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Some of my favorite things in the world begin with B. Bourbon, Books, and Boooo.... Ummm nevermind, and Yes Beer. Tom Robbins acclaimed author of "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" Makes an attempt to write a book talking all about beer from its Brewing to its place in society and everything in between.
Its marketed with the gimmicky idea of it being a children's book for adults based on the fact that its told from the POV of a 5/6 year old girl. and boy does it fail. At its best its uninspiring, at
Andrew
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Tom Robbins, but this short book doesn't really add much to his oeuvre other than to underline the fact that we're unlikely to get another full-length novel from him any time soon. It's pitched peculiarly on the child/adult divide - pitched almost to the mindset of a human who has yet to actually evolve - and because of that it's entertaining but slight; the motivation for telling this particular story unclear. Having now come to the end of all of Robbins' written work, it has stimulated ...more
Beer tap handles 2 3 Jul 18, 2019 02:22AM

• Bütün Çocuklar İyidir
  • El banquero anarquista
  • Kadının Adı Yok
  • Osman
  • The Oatmeal 2016 Wall Calendar: How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
  • Sinek Isırıklarının Müellifi
  • Far Forbidden Plains
  • Ask Baba Yaga: Otherworldly Advice for Everyday Troubles
  • The Girl Who Was Plugged In
  • Sıradan Zaferler
  • The Dead All Have the Same Skin (Vernon Sullivan, #2)
  • Baharda Yine Geliriz
  • The Private Lives of Trees
Thomas Eugene Robbins (born July 22, 1936 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina) is an American author. His novels are complex, often wild stories with strong social undercurrents, a satirical bent, and obscure details. His novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1976) was made into a movie in 1993 directed by Gus Van Sant.

Beer! (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Utica Beer:: A History of Brewing in the Mohawk Valley
  • The Beer Bible
  • The World Atlas of Beer: The Essential Guide to the Beers of the World
  • Beer Making for the Total Novice
  • American Sour Beer
  • Capital Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in Washington, D.C.
  • Upper Hudson Valley Beer
  • Chicago by the Pint: A Craft Beer History of the Windy City
  • Eastern Shore Beer: The Heady History of Chesapeake Brewing (American Palate)
  • Houston Beer:: A Heady History of Brewing in the Bayou City

News & Interviews

“Never be afraid to love, not even when there's a chance you're not being loved in return.” 34 likes
“We are seldom as limited as we think we are.” 16 likes