Start by marking “The American Century Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The American Century Cookbook

The American Century Cookbook

For the past ten years, Jean Anderson has been on a quest: to search out the most popular recipes of the 20th century and to chronicle 100 years of culinary change in America. The result is a rich and fascinating look at where we've been, at the recipes our mothers and grandmothers loved, and at how our own tastes have evolved.

The more than 500 cherished recipes in these p
Published November 11th 1997 by Clarkson Potter

Sumi
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Even for those who don't cook, but who love the history of food and food lore, this is an interesting book.

The author's intent was to write about the recipes that were influential in the 20th century, but in addition to recipes she intersperses throughout the book a food timeline and articles that talk about famous chefs of the period, the history of a particular food/recipe and other miscellany. I really enjoyed the soup merger chart that had been published in older editions of the Joy of Cook
Modbon
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone fascinated by the history of American food fads
Shelves: foodissues
This book has great recipes, but it's also got a lot more: by tackling food trends decade-by-decade since 1900, the author reveals more about American history and the changes in our food subculture than any ordinary cookbook would. Each decade's major (and some minor) food fads are discussed, and original clips from magazines are included as illustrations. Here we can see how changes in advertising, new inventions in kitchen toys, and regional influences affected how we ate over the course of th ...more
Darby
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is not just a cookbook. It is contains history of food as well as little back stories or tidbits on recipes and products since the 1900's. All that and then some really great recipes too. I got it at a thrift store and it is one that I am thankful for I have in my kitchen. (reread in 2008)
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I've only made one thing from this cookbook, but I've read quite a bit of it. The stories about the development of different recipes and foods is fascinating. I enjoyed the pictures as well. I made the tomato soup cake, it was yummy and not at all tomato-y.
Trena Price
I love this cookbook; it gives the history of so many dishes that we have grown up eating and enjoying. It reminds you of what your mom cooked when you were a kid.
Sue
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of those cookbooks that is as interesting to read as it is to cook from. This book explains the origins of many well known American dishes.
Janis Ian
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I bought this for the historical pictures, and wound up reading it as regular light reading material - not just for the recipes, but for the stories.
Jessica
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, must have cookbook if you like American cooking. Lots of the older recipes--some of which I grew up on (family tradition foods passed down through generations). Truly enjoyable.
Heather Eakin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The history of the recipes and eras was great. I especially enjoyed the old ads.
Steve
Desiree Smelcer
Dec 24, 2015
Laurie
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Informative and enjoyable light reading, great recipes.
Paula