Start by marking “Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery, #1)

Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  4,648 Ratings  ·  401 Reviews
"A funny, fast-paced, clever, and unusual mystery that will have readers clamoring for more. Sheer delight."--Carolyn Hart

"A thoroughly delightful debut. Bright, breezy, and witty. I couldn't put it down."--Tamar Myers

The truth about what happened in 1949 went to Paul Fischer's grave... Too bad his body didn't!

Advertising copywriter Leigh Koslow doesn't pack heat--just a f
Hardcover, Large Print, 352 pages
Published November 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press

To ask other readers questions about Never Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Buried

Krithika Rangarajan
I love cozy mysteries. My perfect idea of a 'rainy day read' is a small-town mystery with an intelligent, humorous and loving amateur sleuth, preferably female.

I stumbled upon Never Buried by Edie Claire while looking for an entertaining book that was available online for free. The reviews on goodreads.com seemed positive, and I decided to give this a shot.

I was certainly not disappointed. The story is simple, if slightly bizarre. Leigh Koslow, a talented copywriter, lives with her cousin Cara
Joanne
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series by Edie Clare, and like many other people I downloaded it because it was free. I’ve now read four more in the series, and they just keep on getting better! In Leigh Koslow, Clare has created a character with enough flaws to sustain a series, but enough great qualities to make the reader love and root for her.

This is my kind of novel – mystery, suspense, intrigue, but not gory or gratuitous. Brilliantly written too. The only thing I didn’t like was the sudden switch
David Ketelsen
I'd like to give this book 4-stars because I enjoyed the author's writing style and characters quite a bit. However the ending was so stupid I had to subtract a star for subjecting me to such a ridiculous ending. Did she write herself into a corner or did she start off writing the book with such a silly idea for a villain? I just don't know. In any case the book is well worth reading for the journey even if the ending might bother some. From what I've seen, many people don't notice when things d ...more
Helen
The author says on her website that she intends only to entertain so there are no great passages of description or analyses of human nature. Fine, I'll accept that, but this, the first of MS Claire's books has much to say about child and wife abuse, about Alzheimers, and even about the need to keep plastic away from your dog. The story is light hearted in the main, or as light hearted as you can be when your characters have found an embalmed body in the back yard, a body, what is more, with a th ...more
Becky
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another freebie from Amazon on the Kindle. The story sadly feel flat to me. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't gripping as other mysteries/thrillers. Maybe it's supposed to be one of those "cozy mysteries"?

The story is about Leigh who just was let go from her job and is living with her cousin whose about to give birth. She finds a corpse in the backyard which starts the "mystery" in the book.

The author put in a lot of annoying details that I thought could have been left out and could have used th
Marguerite Kaye
This was a Kindle freebie, the first in a series of 'cozy mysteries'. I'd read another of Edie Claire's books before, and enjoyed it, and the same goes for this one. Yes, it's in the mould of Stephanie Plum in that there's an offbeat heroine with various 'cookie' family members, but you know, I like that sort of thing. It's an easy read, it's well-written, it doesn't take up too much brain power, so perfect for me at the end of the day when I'm tired and don't want to concentrate too hard. I'm p ...more
Jonathan
A light, entertaining read with a well-crafted mystery! My only complaint was my intense dislike for Gil, who annoyed me. Besides him, this book was wonderful.
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free kindle copy of Never Buried: A Leigh Koslow Mystery by Edie Claire published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform in exchange for fair review. I gave it five stars. It had enough twists & turns to hold my interest & is a very fast read.

Edie Claire is the author of the Leigh Koslow Mystery Series. This is the only one I have read but I'll look for more.

There is plenty of mystery involved in the telling of this story. Leigh & her cat Mao-Tse are staying wit
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
This is one cozy mystery I’d be happy to read again. Imagine finding an un-embalmed corpse from 1949 sitting on your hammock outside your house. Isn’t that creepy? Then the new owners of the house gets a notice from the dead, telling them to move out of his house. Double creepy!

I like stories like this. It’s also a plus that there isn’t a love triangle or romantic allusions in the plot. It’s a hilarious comedy and detective story sure to tickle the reader’s funny bones while delving into the roo
Cheryl Landmark
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love cozy mysteries and have ventured into several different series. "Murder, She Wrote" remains my number one favourite, but this first book in the series by Ms. Claire was pretty darn good, too.

The characters were all quite likeable, well-developed and relateable, and I enjoyed the author's writing style. Leigh Koslow, the main character, was intelligent, feisty, and inquisitive, although a bit weak at times. Cara, her very pregnant cousin, was a more eager sleuth than Leigh. The relationshi
Rosa.cruz7
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
wow!!

You know you're reading a really good mystery story when you think you've got it all figured out - sort of - mid book, only to be spun around at the end.

Let's face it, I did get a few things right. I was right about my suspicion that the double murders were in fact a triple murder. yay...! and my murder victimes were those I thought, but my time frame turned out to be way wrong... as was the identity of all the murderers - except for the first murder...

I couln't help liking the characters (
Lynda Kelly
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This wasn't for me. It read as a serious mystery when I downloaded it based on the Amazon description but it's a "funny" book in reality and I'm not a great fan of comedies. I did give it a go and got 24% in but it really isn't my type of story. I suppose it just wasn't what I expected it to be. The series is called Leigh Koslow Mysteries not comedies so I found that misleading.
Donna
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this little mystery. Leigh is staying with her pregnant cousin Cara while her husband is away. Then she finds a body with a warning. The two race against time to find what happened to the previous family that lived there.

This mystery will make you think that you know what is happening and then twist it all around. You will be left guessing all the way to the end.
Cathi
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I liked best about this book was how short it was. There was nothing extra that we didn't really need to know. No descriptions of flowers or people that weren't involved in the story. Also, no romance. The mystery was very interesting and involved over 50 years of history, I love that. Great ending too, I didn't see it coming.
Julie Powell
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written and enjoyable mystery novel with a great protagonist and enough twists, turns and surprises to keep the reader hooked until the end.

This is the second novel I've read by this author and I would recommend her highly entertaining stories.
✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl)
Despite the slightly inauspicious start (the cat throwing up) I really enjoyed this tale and couldn't wait to find out who was behind everything that happened. Seemingly unconnected events were woven together really well.
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mystery
I love that this book was totally clean. No sex and no bad language. I wish more authors were as secure. I really enjoyed Edie Claire's style. The story was well developed and the clues were fun to follow. The ending was not a comete give away. I enjoyed the ride. I will definately read more.
Deb
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an OK book. I thought the main character, Leigh Koslow, acted extremely stupidly upon occasion. I can understand Ms. Claire's trying to display Leigh's headstrong & impulsive qualities. However, one notable instance defied logic and common sense.
Louise
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cheap and cheerful kindle purchase.
Amusing enough main character, enough going on with the others not to be too frustrated at some of the sillier storylines.
Didn't seem ridiculously out dated either unlike some other books I've read with no modern technology.
Dominique
A bit of a snooze, actually. I remember reading it and then thinking that I was not going to remember enough about it to write anything. I wasn't wrong about that.
Chloe
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Cute who-done-it. Great for a free book!
Jan Ashley
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
Brilliant,thoroughly enjoyed this. A great who dunnit that kept me guessing until the end. Easy relaxing reading. Not too taxing on the brain cells but enjoyable none the less!
Sherry Wolfe
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome books!! one of the few mysteries that I didn't solve it before the end.
El
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, library, 2017
I don't know what the term is for a comedy murder mystery - "contradiction in terms", maybe?! - but this is what Never Broken is. An old, embalmed corpse is left hanging in the hammock of our heroine's garden and said heroine, a copywriter recently made redundant, decides to solve the crime. She is lucky to be close friends with the local cop and to be able to get useful information from most people she meets, both of which aid mightily in her clue-solving skills. This is a very easy and pleasan ...more
Joy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leigh is an advertising copywriter with really bad luck keeping a job ever since she quit being assistant in her father's veterinary clinic. While acting as live-in caretaker to her pregnant cousin Cara, she finds an embalmed corpse in the back yard - the opening move in someone's frightening campaign to get them out of the corpse's old house. Suddenly taking care of Cara becomes very difficult. Cara not only refuses to go, she is all excited about solving the mysteries of today's culprit and th ...more
Jill Martin
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melody
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leigh moves in to care for her cousin who is in the third trimester of her pregnancy. Her cousin's husband in on Japan for a large project and Leigh steps into the breach to help out but when she finds a dead body in the back yard hammock with a note saying get out of my house she is a little nonplussed. When fish marked with the same message are found the following morning she and her cousin get pissed and start searching the house for whatever it is someone wants. A great mystery with a surpri ...more
Frances L. Ehrig
Fire and Fireworks

A good, exciting read which kept me turning pages till the unexpected conclusion. I can truly say that I never thought about "who did it," and it came as a complete surprise! An interesting heroine and fascinating characters mean I will be looking for more books by this author.
Anne Turnley
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not guess who did it

Leigh and Cara are a troublesome duo. They are compelled to solve the mystery in spite of the danger. As Cara is 7 months pregnant there are lots of complications.
R J
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and well written

I enjoyed this book with its engaging characters and well paced storyline. It doesn't fall into the trap of cliched predictability that many books fall into, which I found refreshing!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Never Buried 1 2 Nov 11, 2012 06:41PM
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • For Love of Livvy (Esposito Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Hope Road
  • The Shortcut
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Invisible (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #1)
  • Dance of the Winnebagos (Jackrabbit Junction, #1)
20981
No matter the genre, USA-Today bestselling novelist and playwright Edie Claire strives to infuse all her writing with both warmth and humor. Her family-friendly Leigh Koslow cozy mystery series, a favorite of animal lovers that was originally published in 1999, was reborn in 2012 to become a Kindle Top-10 bestseller. Her romantic novels range from women’s fiction with romantic elements to a blend ...more
More about Edie Claire...

Leigh Koslow Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Never Sorry (Leigh Koslow Mystery #2)
  • Never Preach Past Noon (Leigh Koslow Mystery #3)
  • Never Kissed Goodnight (Leigh Koslow Mystery #4)
  • Never Tease a Siamese (Leigh Koslow Mystery #5)
  • Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6)
  • Never Haunt A Historian (Leigh Koslow Mystery #7)
  • Never Thwart a Thespian (Leigh Koslow Mystery #8)
  • Never Steal a Cockatiel (Leigh Koslow Mystery #9)
  • Never Mess with Mistletoe (Leigh Koslow Mystery #10)
  • Never Murder a Birder (Leigh Koslow Mystery #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
    $12.99 $1.99
“Oddly, Leigh couldn’t think of anything to say. How exactly should one respond to a threat spelled out in fish?” 1 likes
“Cara” 0 likes