Start by marking “A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature” as Want to Read:
A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature

Meaningful or meaningless? Purposeful or pointless? When we look at nature, whether at our living earth or into deepest space, what do we find? In stark contrast to contemporary claims that the world is meaningless, Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt reveal a cosmos charged with both meaning and purpose. Their journey begins with Shakespeare and ranges through Euclid's ...more
Published July 12th 2006 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about A Meaningful World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Meaningful World

Start your review of A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature
Melissa Travis
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC book! Examines the attributes of the cosmos that point far beyond to a designing intelligence. Wiker and Witt discuss the hallmarks of genius in astrophysics, chemistry, biology, and abstract mathematics (I will never look at a right triangle the same again!) using the analogy of Shakespeare's elaborate literary masterpieces. (I learned more about old Bill in these 252 pages than I ever did in college English. Ha. Go figure.)
Laurie
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent look at a wide variety of subjects in order to define "genius" and apply it to aspects of the
natural world. Compelling and fascinating! I learned a lot about Shakespeare, the properties of water
and the periodic table of elements, among other things! Highly recommended--most of it is well within
the grasp of a layperson.
Abram Dorrough
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this book smart, but it's also quite funny. Highly recommend.
Stinger
In A Meaningful World: How the Arts and Sciences Reveal the Genius of Nature Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt seek to disprove the assumption that science has demonstrated conclusively the universe is without purpose or meaning. They methodically make the case for genius in the world of literature, then bridge this evidence to that of genius in mathematics and chemistry, finally resting on biological order. The authors effectively wage war against the prevalent reasoning of materialistic ...more
Justin Sinclair
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best apologetic text I've read, combining several different disciplines, from literature to history to geometry to chemistry, using a philosophical understanding of these and nature to identify the proof of a designing genius behind our world. Compelling, exciting, and beautifully written. One of the most enlightening books I've read in a while.
Heather
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I wrote a radio program and published a review of this book. The summary of the radio program can be found here.
As my granfather said...if this is the kind of book that Intelligent Design people are putting out, the Darwinists have a real problem.
Moonburst
Nov 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Read for Contemporary Christian Belief. Though the main idea wasn't horrible, it was very insulting to read as a science major. The attitudes of the authors were not good in terms of being taken seriously by the scientific community. I would not suggest reading this book. It's not worth it.
Chris AtLee
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Meaningful World shows how our universe is fundamentally meaningful. Benjamin Wiker and Jonathan Witt
demonstrate this by exploring various aspects of the human experience and human genius.

The chapters dealing with Shakespeare, Euclid as well as the chapters about the history of the periodic table of elements were particularly enjoyable.

One great side benefit of reading this book is a wealth of references to other great books to read!

Matt
Sep 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
I found this interesting looking book on a display shelf at the library. The introduction promised to combat the nihilism of modern society and to inject life back into mathematics and science.
Sounds good right?
I only read a few pages before I saw the first red flag, a citation from a book by Michael Behe. And I know immediately that this is one of those books written by someone who believes that evolutionary theory is directly related to moral decay. And of course the corollary, all that is
Adam Graham
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a solid design book with a couple twists. Wicker takes on the ugly implication of Darwinism that is often missed as relates to human genius. By looking at areas such as Shakespeare, geometry, and the construction of the period table, the authors make a good case against Darwinist visions of a meaningless world.

The book is a bit more philosophical than most design books, but I don't see that as a detriment, particularly if you're not someone who memorizes great chunks of scientific data.
Tom
Jun 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Tech 1
Paul
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Novel presentation of Intelligent Design using literature, math, chemistry, astronomy, etc.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-nature
Loved it!! Absolutely loved it! Didn't understand all of it, but loved it!!
Kelsey
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Starting Well--Building a Strong Foundation for a Life Time of Ministry
  • Fill These Hearts: God, Sex, and the Universal Longing
  • The Galileo Connection
  • The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #1)
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad #5)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 03
  • The Forgotten Commandment
  • Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science Theology
  • The Creator and the Cosmos: How the Greatest Scientific Discoveries of the Century Reveal God
  • Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family