Start by marking “Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)

Kristy's Great Idea

(The Baby-Sitters Club #1)

Kristy thinks the Baby-sitters Club is a great idea. She and her friends Claudia, Stacey and Mary Anne all love taking care of kids. A club will give them the chance to have lots of fun-and make tons of money.

But nobody counted on crank calls, uncontrollable two-year-olds, wild pets, and parents who don't always tell the truth. And then there's Stacey, who's acting more an
Published August 1st 1986 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Kristy's Great Idea, please sign up.
Adelissa I saw a lilttle of myself in most of them, really. I had permed hair and health issues so I related to Stacey. I was overprotected, shy, and a bit of…moreI saw a lilttle of myself in most of them, really. I had permed hair and health issues so I related to Stacey. I was overprotected, shy, and a bit of a goody two shoes so I really related to Maryanne. I actually didn't like Dawn much aside from her long hair. Mostly because I am from California and I hate stereotypes. I am not into health food and crap like she is. I always felt younger than everyone else emotionally so I related to those feelings like Kristy. I loved Nancy Drews and I had an older sister who I was always compared to like Claudia. I was a book worm and loved the Misty of Chincoteague series like Mallory. I was into singing the way Jessie was into ballet. (less)

karen
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddiwinx
okay, so i have never babysat a day in my life. is it surprising that no one would entrust their little precious dumplings to my care??

however - i loved these books. and lately, i have found my mind drifting back to this series, and i kind of want to read them again, is that bad?? they were such a huge part of my early reading life - i read them ever so many times, and took my favorite ones on vacation with me year after year when my mom told me i could bring a friend.(is that super sad?) i stil
Ariel
Dec 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Life
I am firmly convinced that, years hence, when Ann M Martin no longer graces the mortal coil with her presence, scholars will reflect upon the deceptively simple narrative lines of the Baby-Sitter's Club #1 and will discover the singing truths of human experience encoded in the mundane details of affluent suburban youth.

Like so many heroines before, Kristy attempts to reconcile her desire for autonomy with the crippling social restrictions on young females with her suburban Connecticut neighborh
amandalee
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am using the first Baby-Sitter's Club to represent the approximately, I don't know, 100 plus BSC novels I not only read, but owned, in my late elementary / early middle school years. I was in love with these novels and even belonged to the BSC Book Club, where two novels (in sequential order) were mailed to me every month (or bimonthly, I don't really remember). I was gifted the BSC board game, which was terrible, but amusing. My sisters and I even used these novels as "textbooks" when we play ...more
Erin
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
An irresistible re-read for 2018

The Baby-sitters Club was a concrete part of my 90's childhood. I use to take 3-4 books outside and read them in an afternoon. My cousins and I even wanted to start our own babysitters club!!

Just today ( October 15th, 2018) Goodreads posted a blog celebrating 80's YA paperbacks and my Elementary school still had Babysitters books so I just "had" to grab a few and take a walk down memory lane.

Kristin (Kristy) Amanda Thomas, Claudia Kishi, Mary Ann Spier, and Sta
Rhiannon
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"The Baby-Sitters Club was a success. I, Kristin Amanda Thomas, had made it work." - Kristy, accepting the 1986 Mahatma Ghandi Award for Most Humble 12-Year Old Ever

Was Claudia described as having almond-shaped eyes:
Surprisingly, no. Although she was described as "exotic."

Was Mimi's accent described as rolling:
Nope

How many times was the word "incredulously" used:
Twice

What Would Claudia Wear:
-Short, very baggy lavender plaid overalls, a white lacy blouse, a black fedora, red high-top sneakers wit
Jenna
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia, childrens
Like so many '90s kids, I was obsessed with The Baby-sitters Club. OBSESSED. I still have most of my collection (I sadly got rid of the many doubles I had), but I haven't really revisited the series as an adult. I was afraid that they'd feel really dated and it would tarnish the memory I have of them.

But yesterday the nostalgia got too much for me and I decided to pick up Kristy's Great Idea for the first time in about 20 years. And while aspects of the plot certainly are dated (so much of it h
Lauren R.
I don't feel like taking the time to add the whole series. But C'mon, you know you read them...all 549085290 of them AND the spin-offs. Looking back, they were terribly written and not realistic at all...But that didn't stop us from dressing like Claudia or trying to start our own BSC.
Mike Lawson
This book made me feel guilty. As a little soon-to-be gay boy in the 1980s, I watched my older sister devour the Baby-Sitters Club series. She just ate them up. And I learned at a young age it wasn’t “appropriate” for young boys to like the same things as their sisters.

“Michael, take off those Madonna gloves!”

When I picked up the first of the super-popular Baby-Sitters Club series, I couldn’t help but feel a bit of guilt. Kristy’s Great Idea is book #1, and about Krsity Thomas’ idea of forming a
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cora by: Aoife
5 Words: Friendship, secrets, loyalty, family, responsibility.

That was cute.

I would have likely loved it when I was 12, and even now when I'm very much older it was a lovely read. I enjoyed the story, how the girls were introduced, the funny little problems they encountered. It was lovely.
Dray
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 80s babies who are all now too old to be reading these
Recommended to Dray by: they had colorful covers. that's all it takes
I'm terribly tempted to add all the BSC books to my goodreads for two reasons:
1. I'm at work doing absolutely nothing else.
2. It would make me look all badass with lots of books...until someone happened to notice that half of them are the Babysitter's Club books. My badass badge would then be taken away.

So I'll just add the first one. These books get five stars for the sheer entertainment value of 7-10 year old Andréa. I thought those girls were SO COOL. Stacy and Claudia were totally my favorit
Sarah DiMento
This just popped up on my Goodsreads updates and now I'm feeling so nostalgic. I adored this series when I was a kid. Even just looking at the covers makes me happy. I'm really tempted to buy them all and read them again, but what if they're terrible now??
Jessica
Nov 13, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: maybe little girls who hate to read, if you're really desperate
I can't rate these books, because giving a bad rating would be a lie -- I was crazy about them when I read them -- but giving them a good rating would be misleading because it would lead you to believe that they were good, and they're not. I mean, in a way they must be or they wouldn't have been so popular, but they're definitely Lame, especially when you consider how much incredible children't fiction there is out there.

The closest thing to these books for me is the Doors, one of the other few
Kathleen
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Puntje 17 van de Verbeelding Book Challenge: "Een boek lezen waar je gek van was als kind". De babysittersclub. Ayup. Ik denk dat ik bijna alle boeken van de Babysittersclub reeks heb gelezen, back in the day, en het was fijn om even terug te keren naar die personages. Maar het boek als volwassene lezen is toch helemaal anders dan het boek als negen of tien-jarige lezen.
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking back I'm a bit ashamed to admit I enjoyed this series so much. By no means are the books well written; the characters are flat, the plots predictable. Everything is dressed in a neat and tidy bundle, all works out in under 150 pages. You can almost hear the sappy music as the book draws to a close. Even as a preteen I recognized this was not great literature, especially as the series rapidly expanded, Ann Martin and what must have been a slew of ghost writers turning out books at an alar ...more
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On one of my book challenges, I needed to read a book from my childhood. Plus, I'm in a pretty serious reading slump, and thought a short book would help me get out of it..

I loved these books when I was younger, I remember checking out a couple every time I went to the library as a child.
It wasn't a bad book, I enjoyed the nostalgia from re-reading it, and it was a quick read.

2.5/5.
(my ten year old self would've given it a 5/5)
Scott
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Single Step, or, Adventures in Gayby-sitting

During Orientation Week in college, I made all the best friends I would ever need, thank you very much. This was the beginning of my Great Transformation. From an aloof, emotionally-reserved Band Geek in high school, I was embarking on a Journey that would make me a Free Man and a Cool Kid and in retrospect probably a complete freeloading burnout.

In that first week, I went with my new best friends to sit on "Mount Oberlin" -- a tiny hill that was the
Ann
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I never read a single one of these books when I was a kid, even though I was a kid when they were at their height. I was very turned off by their covers, and also by the fact that they were the popular thing to be reading at school....I tended to reject anything that was popular.

On the recommendation of friends who have fond memories of these books, I read the first book just last month and I can't believe how much I LOVED it. I've read two more since then. I've been encouraging my students to r
✨Jordan✨
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Decided I wanted to Re-Live my childhood and read all these books from start to finish! 4 childhood friends come together to start a BABY-SITTERS CLUB. All of these girls Have major differences but all manage to be great friends. In this specific book we find out a big secret that Stacy is hiding...but would her friends truly judge her if they knew? What a great and fast nostalgic read
Asheley
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I reread this one in no time at all before listening to the corresponding episode of SSR Podcast, which was so much fun.

I read every BSC book over and over when I was young and honestly I could read them all over again right now. I can't remember many things I wanted more when I was young than to be in a cool club like the one in this books and to have BFFs as cool as these girls. I thought it was so cool that Kristy and Mary Anne lived next to each other and used their flashlights to signal-ta
Ciara
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
always a classic. i read this one for the first time on my birthday in 1986. that was the year i turned seven. being a precocious reader, i was the target audience for the babysitters club series. i have been reading them ever since...24 years now, i guess. i'm not going to bother finding that at all shameful. it's an accomplishment!

these early books are kind of a yawn, because ann wrote them, & she doesn't have the same flair for drama & middle school catfights as some of the later ghos
SamZ
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally LOVED these books as a kid. I read all of them and my mom even signed me up for the book club, where they mailed you four books (sequentially) every month. I was so excited when they would arrive. Reading this one now, as an adult, definitely brought back memories of staying up late to find out what crazy adventure the girls were going to go through next.
There are a lot of people out there who feel that these books aren't well written and are completely unbelievable. I disagree. The bo
Candise
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: feminist rulers and horse girls
When asked to name a childhood hero at a recent Feminist Club meeting, I instantly knew who to name: Kristy Thomas. Kristy is a tomboy, an alpha female, and totally gay (well, she gets a boyfriend later, but he is totally a beard). This book is girl love at its finest.
Krissy
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Since I read this to my daughter I allowed her to rate it. But I fully agree with her choice :)
Karielys
its about 4 girls that started a babysitting club (Kristy,Claudia,Mary Anne and Stacie).its also about there adventures while baby sitting and some the kids they baby sit and there a secret with Stacie.
Shira
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great introduction to the club and the characters, plus a glimpse into some of the challenges they are going to face. highlights include the buffy & pinky story (the saint bernards kristy "baby-sits") and the introduction of morbidda destiny/mrs. porter (the alleged witch who lives next door to kristy's stepdad-to-be watson) and boo-boo (watson's crotchety old cat whose belly touches the floor while he walks).

two claudia outfits:
-She was wearing short, very baggy lavender plaid overalls, a w
Chloe
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tina Bryan
Jun 01, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is great book, I wished there was movie out to watch it Tina Bryan in ca
Nicole
Oct 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated these books so much, my grandma would buy them and then give me money for completing them.
Kimberly
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little walk down memory lane! These are pretty well written, and I enjoyed turning back the hands of time!
Steven Thielking
I loved this series as a kid. I read every one that I could get my hands on. Granted part of that was to gain an edge against my rival in an ever escalating battle to get the the most AR points but I still genuinely enjoyed them. So when I saw the first one as I was packing up all my books for storage I couldn't help but read it again. Some thoughts.

- I definitely remember them all being older than 12. If you had asked me yesterday I would have said 16.

- Claudia and her fashion! Yes! "Well you
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review; The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea 1 2 Aug 19, 2018 09:06PM
STOP FIGHTING! I'M GOING TO DIE!!! 6 67 Nov 25, 2014 05:36AM
the baby-sitter club 13 68 Nov 25, 2014 05:18AM
Goodreads Feedback: Lost review after changing read to currently-reading and back 4 49 Oct 05, 2014 08:54AM
  • Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 131 books)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Kristy and the Snobs (The Baby-Sitters Club, #11)
“I hoped that Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, and I - the Baby Sitters Club - would stay together for a long time.” 9 likes
“Sheep are in.” 7 likes