Start by marking “Diana” as Want to Read:
Diana

Diana

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  447 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Beautiful, resourceful, treacherous, vulnerable - she was a woman full of contradictions and he would never stop loving her. As a young girl Diana is irrepressible, untameable and, to the orphaned John, endlessly fascinating. Only daughter of a wealthy businessman, she is drawn both to a rigorous outdoor life in the west country with her horses and the glittering London so ...more
Published March 1st 1980 by Coronet (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana

Peggy
I first read Diana when I was 12. At that time I found the character of Diana to be very romantic. I have since re-read this book twice; once in my 20's and then last year when I turned 60. I have always loved this book, especially since it was probably the first "grownup" book I read as a pre-teen.

But now that I'm older I feel very different about the characters. Diana is truly a very selfish person and there were times when I would get so exasperated with John for putting up with her. But John
Bettie☯

This is the original BBC mini-series 'Diana' that aired in 1984.

It is based on the R F Delderfield novel of the same name.

Cast:

Diana by Delderfield

winter 20
Sewwolf
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first adult romance and I read it at 13. I loved this book and the second part The Unjust Skies. This is the only book to this day that has made me cry. It is a true love story from teen to adult. I can't believe no one ever made this movie as it would have been a classic one. This is one of my top 5's of all time and I've read a lot of book spanning 40 some years.
Sandy
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, hist-fiction
This is another Delderfiled book about the uniqueness of Pre-WW I England.... this, the story of a young woman of privilege and her life..... Yes, full of things which today we would revile and castigate as classist, repressive and arrogant examples of the social inequalities of the time...... But all I saw -read, imagined, dreamt of - was the beautiful, bucolic English countryside and apparently genteel life of its people, both working poor and land owners alike.....
Misfit
I'm giving this one up for now and perhaps try another day. Other books are calling and not much is happening here.
Duncan Leung
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I prefer this book over Romeo and Juliet any day. This is just how teen romance should be.
Colleen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Debbi
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading this book was like plowing a rocky field. It took forever! I still had to give it 3 stars as it was a good story and was well written. I just didn't enjoy reading it because I had to work at it.
Carolyn Agosta
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Delderfield novel. Having long been a fan of RF Delderfield (the Swann Trilogy, To Serve Them All My Days, The Avenue), I was excited to find a 'new' book by him, but this story just turned me off. Diana may have come across as a romantic figure early on, but I really got tired of her constant shifts, and stopped caring what happened to the two of them. The scene where Jan watches as she distracts Rance just sickened me, no matter why she was doing it.

Delderfield has written simi
B.B. Shepherd
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
It's so funny; I was talking to a friend about books just a couple of days ago and was trying to describe this book but couldn't remember the title or the author. Today I was browsing something else and a book by Delderfield was one of the recommendations. Yes! That's the author! Browsing through his books brought me to Diana, though the title still didn't mean anything to me, the description sounded about right. The only other thing I could remember about it was a quote at the beginning from a ...more
Clare White
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least 6 times and I like others have got something different from it each time. In my younger years I saw it as a wonderful love story but on return reads the lovely Diana comes across a much different character!! The angst was all Johns, a puppet that she liked to pick up and drop at will almost from the moment they met, but he was mesmerised from day one and allowed himself to be treated that way.
Mercedes
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read Diana when I was 16. It's a beautifully written reflection ofpre-WW I English society, with deep, well-dimensioned and strong characters and one of the most heartfelt love stories i've ever read amidst a fascinating recount of historic events. Close to my heart.
Christian Belz
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
First part-magical as ever; second part-maddening as ever.
Lizbenandgus
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Superb, heart stopping.
Wendy
I really got into the first half of this (rather one-sided) love story set against class differences in the idyllic English countryside between the wars. Orphaned teenaged Jan is cheerfully used and emotionally wrung dry by the brash heiress of an investment magnate. She inspires him to better himself, enlists him in harebrained adventures about the country, drops him in at every shifting whim, and still he comes back for more. It reminded me a bit of The Forsyte Saga in reverse, but a more apt ...more
Margaret A Driscoll
Great author

I love all RF Delderfield books including this one. He writes beautifully and creates wonderful characters. I have always been a fan all things british. The story has some wonderful history, romance, and beauty.b
Linda
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have fond memories of reading this bucolic novel by R.F. Delderfield when I was in high school. The author's lush descriptions of the Devon countryside set the stage and immediately draw in the reader. Orphaned right before his fifteenth birthday, John Leigh leaves London to live with his aunt and uncle in Devon. One afternoon, he meets Diana Gaylorde-Sutton, the daughter of the neighborhood's wealthy landowner. Together, they build a life-changing friendship while running wild through the hea ...more
Jessica
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read well over 100 pages and just couldn't get into it.

For those of you who haven't read this book it's basically about this fourteen year old girl that meats a fifteen year old guy, she's wealthy he's not. And really all it is is them meeting up and stuff.

Don't get me wrong it's a well written book just not the type I usually read. If you like other books by Delderfield then you should like this one but I think it's a bit out of date.

There is absolutely no plot in this book, it just seemed t
Mindy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-lit
Part I I'd give three stars to. It's okay but not nearly as good as To Teach Them All My Days. The characters are fairly flat, and I still can't quite figure out why "Jan" is so enchanted with Diana as to have an undying obsession with her. Especially when they're older and she keeps coming back to him and just expecting him to take her back, how does that not infuriate him? She also talks to him as if he's slow or a child if he doesn't read her mind, so I would have liked some more explanation ...more
Mike
When I look back, I think I have now read this book three times. I first read it in my teens and I like John the male lead character was fascinated with the character of Diana and the English setting. The relationship between John and Diana swills around in your mind as you read other books with strong young characters adrift in the undercurrents of beauty, love and desire.
James Prothero
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't finish. Delderfield is a great writer, but the story of a young man fixated with a beautiful, rich and treacherous girl just didn't ring my bell. I moved on. BUT . . . I'm trying again. And I stopped again. Can't get next to the character that throws himself at a controlling, spoiled young woman. Ah well.
Jessie Siegfried
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting character study of 2 flawed individuals locked in a relationship which begins in childhood. This book, although very well written, lacks something I can't put my finger on. Perhaps I just can't believe Jan continually going back for more after another of Diana's harebrained schemes. Enjoyed Delderfield's "God is an Englishman" series much more.
Cynthia Bower
Delderfield is a great writer who sucks you right into his stoies. He easily writes about times past with a skill that makes you think he must have lived then himself. His colorful descriptions are unsurpassed by comparison. Find out for yourself!
Michael Brown
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
As one of the book jackets says, a defiant piece of Romanticism in an unRomantic era.

I'm especially fond of the BBC series, which I was able to find an informal copy of! I hope one day it will be released - it deserves to be seen.
CindySlowReader
Did not finish.

After skimming it appears to be a good story but it's just too long and drawn out for me. It became a chore.

If Julian Fellowes could get his hands on this and write a screenplay it would make a good British mini-series.
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great deal about country life between the wars
Margareth8537
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read this as I have enjoyed his other books, but found this one very trivial
Pat
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a favorite among the many titles I read from this author. I remember sitting on a bus reading this and tearing up. Highly recommend this one.
Michael Kennard
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by R.F. Delderfield, not his best but still a heartwarming story
Joan
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Delderfield by far. I had a terrible crush on Jan, who loved Diana.
  • The Last Love
  • Oliver Wiswell
  • The Nonsuch Lure
  • The Rich Are Different
  • The Last Convertible
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Dynasty of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • Mercury's Rise (Silver Rush, #4)
  • The Romantic Adventures Of A Milkmaid
  • Hester Roon
Ronald Frederick Delderfield was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social history from the Edwardian era to the
More about R.F. Delderfield...