Start by marking “Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)

Give Us This Day

(The Swann Saga #3)

Weaving the fortunes of the patriarchal Adam Swann and his family into the pageantry of English history in the years following Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee of 1897, this sweeping historical novel takes Swann's four sons and daughter into the perilous reaches of government and commerce and the army. As this younger generation of Swanns strives to wed personal dreams to ...more
Published October 19th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published January 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Give Us This Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Us This Day

Sara
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I must confess to being very happy to finish this trilogy. It started out quite promising, book two less so, and book three very disappointing. Delderfield felt it was necessary to revisit every incident from the first two books, stopped for endless history lessons, and seemed at a complete loss as to what to do with all the myriad characters he had created.

I cannot help thinking there was a good germ of an idea for these novels that got buried early on. He invented some interesting characters t
Susan's Reviews
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally excellent. (See my reviews for the first two books.)
Blaine DeSantis
A sort of disappointing ending to a very good series. I really enjoyed the first two books of this Swann Family Chronicles series. This book was just OK. The author really concentrated on Adam Swann and never got to delve that much into the lives of family. Yes, we were given updates and carried the saga to some of the Swann children, but I got the feeling that like Adam Swann the author was getting tired. I think this was the last book of his third series of family sagas, and by the end you wer ...more
Lori
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
G.C. Neff
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, this was the last of the trilogy. I remember well the ending, one of the finest closures to a book that I have ever read. But the characters are as alive in my mind as they were when I was enjoying the books word for word. Not a disappointment among any of the novels in this trilogy.
Donna
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Character-driven glimpse into the rise of the industrial age. Great protagonist. Wonderful insight concerning the creation of an industry. None of what I've said does this series credit. It's absorbing, fascinating historical fictionl
Kilian Metcalf
I like R.F. Delderfield, but sometimes he goes on and on. This book would have been better if it were 1/3 the length. The third book in the Swann Family Saga, by the time were down to grandkids and greatgrandkids, I had trouble telling them apart. At the heart were Henrietta and Adam Swann, founder of an transportation empire and parents of several children, whose number escapes me at the moment, except to say there were too many of them. By the time of this book, we have gone through their marr ...more
Liz
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This three volume series is well-crafted and addresses sixty years of British history.
The characters are well-developed and reach into the complexities of the plot.
Though I wouldn’t characterize the book as great literature, I found it really enjoyable. It twists and turns, and I found myself engaged with its characters.
Often a slow read, it’s not for the squeamish; but if you love description and are not put off by almost 2000 pages, this could be the book for you.
Pam Kirst
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not realize until deep into the book that this was the last book in a trilogy. I missed having background information, but this book was still a fascinating lens to look at the years leading up to WWI in Britain. Especially fascinating was the way suffragists were treated. Talk about vitriol!

And a quote from p. 581..."It struck him then...that hardly anyone practicing politics had the ability, or even the wish, to think things through..." Sigh. Some things don't change...
Jan
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book in the series of The Swann Family" and God is an Englishman.

This book takes us to the start of WWI. The story of the family continues, how the children and grandchildren grow up, and take their places in the world. Their trials and tribulations, the story of a family in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Unfortunately, the reader is left with a real rotten ending, it just finishes, leaving the reader extremely disappointed, in not knowing what will become of the family, the Empire
Peter Cobb
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sad to finish this wonderful trilogy but it was also time to bring the family saga to a close. Wonderful sense of family and social evolution set in the onslaught of the industrial revolution with all of its accompanying displacement of ideas and mores. Delderfield does his historical homework meticulously, occasionally numbingly so, but through it all the grandeur of the characters and the sweep of the story carried me captivatingly onward. It is romanticized fiction - and sometimes the romance ...more
Virginia
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so thoroughly enjoyed these three books. I expected one to stand out from the others but found that not to be the case. These characters were so well drawn, so thorough in their depictions that I felt I really understood them and why the did what they did. I am left to wonder why it took me ever so long to finally get around to reading them. There are a wide variety of secondary characters, from fellow workers to in-laws and he takes the care to develop them just as thoughtfully as his 'stars' ...more
Diana Quincy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
I found this final book in the "God is an Englishman" saga to be a bit slower than its predecessors. Delderfield also throws in a number of deaths near the end of the book that almost feel forced. We only really feel the fallout from one of them. The author also doesn't seem particularly interested in his female characters and deals with them in a mostly cursory manner. Patriarch Adam Swann is smart and progressive, yet the wife he chooses is not particularly intelligent and his relationship wit ...more
Denise
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The last installment of the Swann Saga Trilogy. I enjoyed this as much as the others. Queen Victoria dies, the Women’s' Suffragette movement is born and England enters the age of the automobile which of course impacts the Swann transportation network. The "Great War" is looming but very few see the frightening potential to change Europe and Great Britain forever. Wonderful characters, stories and details across three generations and all the turmoil of these times.
Michael Plas
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some have said that this is the weakest book of the trilogy,as I agree with that assessment. I differ though in how much this weakness is. The whole series is so strong that this book's weekends only appears when compared to its predecessors. I think part of the problem comes from the attempt to tie down every loose end. I suppose it can't be helped, but it could have been done better; parts of the book dragged.
Michael Kennard
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A friend loaned me God is an English Man along with parts 2 and 3 of the Swann saga some twenty five or so years ago. They gathered dust, got moved around, got looked at but not read until around a year ago. I needed a quality read so I dusted them off and found a comfortable chair and started reading. What a wonderful reading experience, not quite up there with A Horseman Riding By but close.
Harriett Bulger
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading the three books in a row....I'm sad that the story finally came to a conclusion. I wanted another book!

The saga ends with the start of World War I....and lets the reader draw their own conclusions of
how the Swan clan weathered this historic time in history. I'm sure that if you enjoy historical novels these books will be worth your time.
Ruth
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
c1973. Timeless. This is the 3rd book in the Swan Family saga. Delderfield (12 February 1912 - 24 June 1972) was a great novelist with a genuine love of his country and proud of its history. He so easily interweaves the lives of the Swan family with the social and economic changes that were happening at the time the story was set.
J V Woods
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a marathon.

I must admit to being a little bored by the time I got to the end of this novel. My comments on the second novel still stand. I felt there was too much retrospective which bulked the story out. A good history lesson though for the Victorian era through to the First World War. At school I was only taught as far as Charles the second in history.
Denise
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this final installment of the Swann saga very much. I found the story moved very well and liked the tie in to actual historical events. All in all, this was an excellent trilogy and I will miss reading about this family.
Catherine Adde
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Anything by Delderfield: great historical fiction.
Ian Billick
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
The series really ran out of energy in this book. It's worth reading if you really liked the first two books, but it is the weakest of the trilogy.
Angela Gill
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite trilogies!
Joanne
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epic of the Swann family. Moves from horses to trucks through the lives of all the family. Would make a good TV series. It is a little too descriptive (lacks plot) but still entertaining.
Ann Watkins
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I love saga books, especially those about England. This book was excellent.
Pat
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Final entry in this excellent trilogy. I found myself less "attached" to the Swann family offspring than the parents; but definitely a favorite series.
Margareth8537
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Quite sad to end this series but it is a suitable point. This was the end of a way of life for so many families
Kristina
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
An interesting story, but totally frivilous. Good beach read, except it is a bit long.
Craig
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Not as good as GIAE - see why in that review.
Brian
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Story kind of dropped off in the third book, I think the family got too big to follow closely enough for the characters to have the depth the older generations had.

• The Darkness and the Dawn
  • Madselin
  • An Important Family
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • Ellis Island
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Ice Palace
  • Midnight Masquerade (Louisiana #6)
  • The Friendship: Wordsworth and Coleridge
  • The Demon in the House
  • An Air of Treason (Sir Robert Carey, #6)
  • Fanny Burney: A Biography
  • Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason
  • The Bad Baron's Daughter
Ronald Frederick Delderfield was a popular English novelist and dramatist, many of whose works have been adapted for television and are still widely read.

Several of Delderfield's historical novels and series involve young men who return from war and lead lives in England that allow the author to portray the sweep of English history and delve deeply into social history from the Edwardian era to the

The Swann Saga (3 books)
  • God Is an Englishman (Swann Saga, #1)
  • Theirs Was the Kingdom (Swann Saga, #2)
“still thought of him as Jack-o'-Lantern, a soubriquet he had acquired when he eloped with Joanna Swann) was a fine salesman and a very amiable man, and he and George had always seen eye to eye.” 0 likes