Start by marking “The Shining Mountain: Two Men On Changabang's West Wall” as Want to Read:
The Shining Mountain: Two Men On Changabang's West Wall

The Shining Mountain: Two Men On Changabang's West Wall

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  242 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Describes the adventures of Peter Boardman and Joe Tasker on their expedition to climb a mountain in the Himalayas.
Published (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shining Mountain

Kal
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book I read was The Shining Mountain by Peter Boardman. The main characters in the Book are Peter Boardman himself, and his partner Joe Tasker. They were on a mission to climb the west wall of Changabang. Changabang is a peak located in India and has a summit elevation of 22,520’ feet. The climb on the west wall was rough, frigid and windy. The climb for the two men was said to me almost impossible, these men packed light to hike the unpredictable west wall of Changabang. Along with that, it ...more
Tim Reisner
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good solid mountaineering fayre, filled with exciting details about the attempt on Changabang in the Himalayan Garwhal. It was a good insight to get snippets of Joe Taskers view of the climb, intermingled by Boardman's prose. 2 of 4 parts of the Boardman Tasker omnibus now completed.
Kanwaljit Deol
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best mountaineering book. The mountain, the climbers, and their experiences before and after the climb, all make for an enthralling experience.
Neeraj Mishra
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best books on mountain climbing
chucklesthescot
Aug 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Having read a book by Joe Tasker and not been greatly impressed by his writing, I decided to try a book by his climbing partner Peter Boardman. Sadly I did not enjoy this book any better.

I just found it so boring! There was endless descriptions of everything in the expedition including endless conversations between the climbers and their liason officer, and with every person they meet. It was not needed and added nothing to the book at all. It felt like unnecessary padding to make the book a cer
Charlie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Boardman and Joe Tasker took on this vertical wall in the "off Himalayan" mountains of Pakistan. It is incredible story of survival in a place no human was meant to tread. The wall of the mountain begins at an altitude that can kill and of course, in Pakistan, the logistical support on the ground is hardly support as it might be in Nepal or Europe. One of the most exciting adventures I ever read.
Susan
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of mountaineering books
I didn't know how the story ended, so I read it with my heart in my throat as Boardman and Tasker inched their way up the previously unclimbed West Wall of Changabang. This was an incredible feat of mountaineering. I didn't enjoy the read as much as I do David Roberts' books, but I originally planned to give The Shining Mountain a 3 star rating. While writing this review and remembering the fear I felt while reading, I'm revising my rating to 4 stars.
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Well written account of Peter Boardman and Joe Tasker's succesful 1976 climb of the west wall of Changabang, very much in lightweight alpine style. Boardmand and Tasker both died in 1982 on Everest's North East ridge - they're remembered each year with the awarding of the Boardman Tasker prize for mountain literature.
Rae
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly lyrical account of a gruelling climb. Boardman captures the unspoken intricacies and power shifts of his relationship with Tasker during their months of preparation and weeks of climbing with precision, and describes the land- and skyscape around them in deceptively simple terms.
Alex Rogers
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good mountain writing
Wayne Stone
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
story of climbing hard - goals and achievement - great narrative in terms of climbing genre
JanJan
Nov 06, 2013
  • Everest - The Hard Way
  • Death Zone
  • True Summit: What Really Happened on the Legendary Ascent on Annapurna
  • The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation
  • Thin Air
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Race to the Pole
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • Learning To Breathe
  • Addicted to Danger: A Memoir
  • Mountain Madness
  • The Naked Mountain
  • A Day to Die For: 1996: Everest's Worst Disaster - One Survivor's Personal Journey to Uncover the Truth
  • Conquistadors of the Useless
  • This Game of Ghosts
  • Everest: Mountain Without Mercy
  • The Chomolungma Diaries: What a commercial Everest expedition is really like
  • Psychovertical
Boardman was a British climber and mountaineer with an impressive list of successful climbs in the Alps, the Himalaya and elsewhere. These included a 1975 ascent of Everest via the South West face, and a 1976 ascent of the West Wall of Changabang. His account of the Changabang climb, The Shining Mountain, is widely regarded as one of the classics of the mountaineering genre.