Start by marking “The Board Game Designer's Guide: The Easy 4 Step Process to Create Amazing Games That People Can't Stop Playing” as Want to Read:

Do you have a board game idea, but can't get it out of your head? Use my 4 I's Framework, and you'll get your game to the table and quickly discover if it will be the next Cards Against Humanity (hint: good!) or the next Trump: The Game (hint: not so good!).

Have you made a game, but it's just sitting in a closet somewhere? Dust off that box and let The Board Game Designer'

Published December 8th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Board Game Designer's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Board Game Designer's Guide

Start your review of The Board Game Designer's Guide: The Easy 4 Step Process to Create Amazing Games That People Can't Stop Playing
Eric San
Mar 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Core idea: Board game design is about designing your players feelings and experience, made possible by a carefully selected game theme and mechanics. Start with familiar mechanics and mvp game pieces, then iterate the art and design and mechanics with playtests.

The book is more about general considerations of game design, production and distribution, than the details fine-tuning the game, e.g. wish the book would cover the balancing of the gameplay.

The flow of the book relies heavily on the chap
Serge Pierro
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: games, non-fiction
Due to the current popularity of board games, it should come as no surprise that there are offerings on how to design such games. With "The Board Game Designer's Guide" by Joe Slack, those who are novice designers or are curious about the process now have a book aimed at their level of experience. Slack presents a variety of subjects all geared to the novice designer and his "cheerleader" writing style will encourage you to pursue your design aspirations. Although it is good book for a beginner ...more
Wayne
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never too old

In my mid twenties,( I am twice that now) I made a game as a project for college, showing how to run a business. It was called ' mind your own business.' It was played a few times by friends and colleagues then put in the loft and forgotten about. It has been lost now.
Back in April 2020, I got to thinking that I needed a hobby, something to occupy my idle hands!! I remembered the fun I had making up a game, so I started thinking of game ideas. I was amazed at how many I thought of
David Neal
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!

A great read for anyone looking to get into this industry. Joe is able to break down the process of game design and provide step by step guidelines for those that are not as familiar with board game design. As a business graduate, I can follow Joe's logic and he is able to explain what would be required to move forward from a business perspective. He is very knowledgeable of this process and I highly recommend this read.
Brian Gee
Apr 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Game design books tend to lean more towards the theoretical than the practical, however this one is definitely on the more practical end of the spectrum. For someone who has already been practicing game design, some of the content here was not new and/or basic common sense, but overall it provided motivation and clear, simple methods to get moving for someone who has been a bit stuck.
Vera Basilone
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!

In my idea book I have several game ideas. I'd write out the rules and even sketch game boards but I never knew what to do next. After reading this book I feel confident I could make these game ideas or reality or at least know how to find out if they would be fun to play.
Susan Mead
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wanted to design a board game - or you already have one rolling around in your head? Get it created! The Board Game Designer's Guide walks you through each step of the process of creating your game. so get it done. Now! ...more
Lauren
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very insighful

This Book does take you from concept to final product. I love the examples in the book especially how you want your players to feel during the game and techniques to design the game for your desired play. Great book for any person who wants to make their own game!
HagridThick
Jun 20, 2022 rated it liked it
just describe flow of boardgame design test to publish , almost no design philosophy or specific guide to make your game better.
Shreshth Varshney
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a good introduction but doesn't cover the math asepct well enough. Repetitive at parts. ...more
Ville Pääkkö
Sep 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good book for anyone interested getting into board game designing!
Gail
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for beginning board game designers! Chapters are straightforward, brief, and practical. Each chapter ends with an action step to promote forward momentum. Looking forward to Joe's other books. ...more
Konstantino Kapetaneas
Feb 14, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Kobold Guide to Board Game Design
  • For the Love of Board Games
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • How to Be Unlucky: Reflections on the Pursuit of Virtue