Start by marking “Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile” as Want to Read:
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile

(Lyle the Crocodile #2)

Everyone in the neighborhood loves Lyle the crocodile—except for a cranky neighbor and his nervous cat! Can lovable Lyle make everything right with his grumpy neighbors?

Lyle the crocodile lives in a house on East 88th Street in New York City. Lyle enjoys helping the Primm family with everyday chores, and playing with the neighborhood kids. He’s the happiest crocodile any
Published October 1st 1987 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1965)

Chance Lee
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Another charming and lovingly illustrated book in which Lyle has to save some asshole's life to stop them from harassing him.
Dianna
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Grumps hates Lyle, who lives with the Primm family, because he frightens his cat. After Lyle has an adventure in the department store, Mr. Grumps manages to get Lyle locked up in the zoo. Luckily he gets the green light to come back home before he escapes to Australia.

I loved this book. The pictures are charming. I love the color scheme, the bold lines, and the way Lyle sticks out. Oddly enough, my 7-month-old baby was completely charmed and giggled her way through the pictures.
midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Our first Lyle book was kinda cute, but I think he's starting to lose his luster. We read so much, we really need something different for us to stay hooked. My 3 yr old twins weren't interested at all, and my 5 yr old somewhat enjoyed the story. Somewhere around a level 2 reading book, this might be good for new readers wanting to read on their own.
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange story about an anthropomorphic rendering of a crocodile. He walks on his hind legs, dances, ice skates and shops at a department store. Of course there is a bit of drama and the crocodile is a hero. It is a bit long, but overall, it's a fun story. I remember this book from my childhood, but it wasn't one of my favorites. Nor do I think it will be a favorite for our girls.

We borrowed this book from our local library as part of a paperback book and CD kit. The book has an ISBN 1
Kelsey Ruggirello
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about not judging a book by its cover. Mr. Grumps judged the crocodile before knowing him but then realized how brave and kind he was when he rescued him from Mr. Grumps smoking house.
Steve Holden
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bernard Waber was one of the very best, in my opinion, when creating imaginative and compelling stories that kids relate to. Ira Sleeps Over ranks as one of my favorites, if not #1. Most people might connect Waber with this one, however, as Lyle is widely read and available in classrooms and libraries. I love the look and the writing style of Waber, and there are always scenes in his stories that stick with me!
Blythe
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I picked this up because the cover was reminiscent of my childhood in the school library. It is just the right combination of silly and serious. Even though Lyle is a crocodile living in the city, there are enough red flags from the people in the community that the book doesn’t become ridiculous—it’s an emotional roller coaster, full of fun and redemption.
Heidi
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting over the fact that Lyle was a crocodile, which, according to the Who Would Win: Ocean Rumble book, is the most fearsome animal of the seas. So I sympathized more with the "mean" neighbor in this book! If you like crocodiles and think they are cute, you will like this book.
One more, please!
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is hit or miss with my kids. We've read it several times over the last few months and they either like it or get bored after the second page.
Tots R
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile by Bernard Waber Picture Book

This is one of the five books I purchased from Amazon for my daycare library. A cranky neighbor puts Lyle in the zoo but experiences a change of heart when the crocodile saves him from a fire. Splish Splash Splish Splash Lyle The crocodile. Lyle The crocodile loved living with the Primm family and their son Joshua. Lyle loved to help Joshua Brush up on his school work. He loves to help out with many things and he is loved. Overall I would have
Lily
Aug 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is just a mess of a book. We picked it up at a thrift store, and maybe it's part of a series that would make more sense if read sequentially - but as a stand alone, it's disjointed and boring. The text hops around, it's sometimes overly wordy and other times not descriptive enough. There is nothing to cause me to suspend my disbelief about a humanoid-ish(?) crocodile ... It doesn't seem that Lyle can talk, but he can help a child with homework, go shopping, and do an entertaining "act" (wit ...more
Sonya Huser
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The first Lyle book I've read. Some parts are a little weird unless you've read the other Lyle books that came before. Lyle the family pet causes trouble without meaning to for his neighbor, who gets him committed to the zoo. Lyle doesn't belong and escapes, though fears he'll still never be able to go back home. When he rescues his neighbor from a fire, he is able to return to his old neighborhood and makes new friends in the process.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, fiction
I missed Lyle as a child, but rather made up for it in my enthusiasm as a parent.
Perry Nathanson
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-book
Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile is a heart warming storying about a crocodile that is a pet to Mrs. Primm. Lyle lives in Mrs. Primm's house and she loves him very much. However, their neighbor, Mr. Grumps and his cat Loretta do no like Lyle the crocodile at all. Loretta the cat is very scared of Lyle because she doesn't know him well and assume he is a frightening creature instead of the kind crocodile that he truly is. Lyle causes a lot of tension within the neighborhood and especially with Mr. Grumps wh ...more
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
I thought I'd peek at other works by Waber because I'm such a big fan of his Nobody is Perfick, but where that book felt fun, different, and real, this one felt laboured and uninventive. There's no reason for Lyle (compared to, say, Paddington), and the resolution comes out of nowhere and is not clever. I don't get it, and it's hard for me to believe they're from the same pen. (Mind you, I love Thackeray's Vanity Fair beyond measure, but none of his other novels have grabbed me.) Yes, I'm not th ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nyc
Lyle loves living in NYC, but his neighbor (and his neighbor's cat) do NOT like him. Everyone else *loves* Lyle.

When out shopping with Mrs. Primm one day, they run into the neighbor at a department store. The neighbor is incensed and gets Lyle committed to the zoo. Lyle is rescued and returns home for one last glimpse of the house. While there, he notices the neighbor's house is on fire and Lyle rescues both neighbor and cat. Lyle is a hero. Neighbor decides to be less grumpy.

Can be read alone,
Luisa Knight
Stop! Freeze - right where you are! Now see this book? Now see your empty hands? This books needs to be in your hands pronto, with your kiddos gathered around, because the 10 to 15 minutes it takes to read this will be positively delightful! You'll thank me, way before you've turned the last page, for stopping you in your tracks like this.

You'll all love Lyle. He'll charm his way into your heart, just like he does his unsuspecting neighbor. The pictures are a real treat too!

Ages 4+
Anna
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: prek-books
It was a nice story with illustrations similar to the art style of the Curious George books. I really loved the ending. It was a really charming touch the way it ended.

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

Even though the cat didn't like Lyle at first, I really loved the cat. The characters were okay, but I wasn't too fond of Signor Valenti even though he helped Lyle escape the zoo.
Mommywest
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clever, cute story about Lyle, a crocodile that lives with the Primm family on East 88th Street, and the trouble he faces because of a grumpy neighbor. The pictures are charming, and it's fun to catch a glimpse of the past. I always appreciate an author that doesn't dumb down the vocabulary for children, but rather writes in a way that the words can be easily understood and assimilated.
Viviane Elbee
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an older book so there's a lot of text compared to more modern stories. Since it's on the wordy side it's probably better for older preschoolers.

Lyle the crocodile is sweet and the book has its funny moments.
Mindi
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book on my second-third grader's summer reading list, I admit I thought it would be far too easy a read. Not so! The vocabulary is advanced and the story engaging. The simply colored illustrations are charming and do not detract from the story.
Victoria Bozarth
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was unnecessarily long. It overall is a cute story but it needs to be rewritten to be shorter. The story overall was about an alligator who is wrongly accused of being violent and unsafe for the neighbor hood, but in reality he just wants to live with his family.
Milton Public
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know what else you want from a crocodile. His name rhymes, he does all kinds of cute things with nice illustrations, he ends on a note of charity even with neighboring cats. The reptile is a role model to us all.
Becky
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always liked the Lyle Crocodile books! I just recently re-read this particular one and continued to be entertained. I later read it to my grandchildren who had never heard it before and they enjoyed the fantasy plot of Lyle and Loretta's conflicts.
Asher Bolen
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
My boys loved this! Great vocabulary words and a fun story.
Amy
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lyle ages gracefully over the years. Once kids are introduced to him, they fall in love with him too!
Cordia

• Babar the King
  • Doctor De Soto
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat
  • Mother Goose
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • Stone Soup
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • Miss Nelson Is Back
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • A Kiss for Little Bear
Bernard Waber was the youngest in a creative family. At age 8, he ushered in a movie theater after school, so he often saw only the last ten minutes of a movie. He made a game of inventing beginnings and middles. When he returned from a tour of duty in World War II, he entered the Philadelphia College of Art. With a diploma and a new wife, he traveled to New York City, where he began working for t ...more

Lyle the Crocodile (10 books)
  • The House on East 88th Street