Start by marking “The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Singing Sword (Camulod Chronicles, #2)

The Singing Sword

(Arthur the Legend #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  5,870 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
We know the legends: Arthur brought justice to a land that had known only cruelty and force; his father, Uther, carved a kingdom out of the chaos of the fallen Roman Empire; the sword Excalibur, drawn from stone by England's greatest king.

But legends do not tell the whole tale. Legends do not tell of the despairing Roman soldiers, abandoned by their empire, faced with the
Published May 17th 2002 by Forge Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Singing Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Singing Sword

Markus
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Singing Sword is a book of connections. It is very much a sequel to The Skystone, but it’s also the book truly beginning to turn The Camulod Chronicles into a work of Arthurian legend.

The withdrawal of the Roman legions from Britain is as good as complete. Varrus and Britannicus lead their little Colony into the future, a legendary sword is forged, and through intermarriage with the local Celts, the two Romans are gifted with a grandson each: one named Uther Pendragon, the other Merlyn.

The s
*Absorbed in Countless Worlds*
Nothing much to say here for me apart from this : Just the perfect book.
Mark Halse
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With this third reading of THE SINGING SWORD I am reminded of all of the reasons that I love this series. Deep and lovable characters, sweeping storyline and twisted drama.

In this installment we follow ol' Publius Varrus as he truly creates the very roots of King Arthur. The idea of mounted knights are created, a round council is formed, Uther and Merlin are fathered and most importantly Excalibur is born!

This book and series are a slow burn. Possibly the slowest burning series that I've ever re
Carrie Slager
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-bought
I’m the sort of person that loves doing jigsaw puzzles, which is part of the reason why I loved The Singing Sword. It’s a lot like a jigsaw puzzle, what with tiny, barley recognizable pieces of the Arthurian legends slowly being dropped into place. We got the outline or the edge pieces in the first book in A Dream of Eagles (formerly known as The Camulod Chronicles), The Skystone, and now we’re starting to fill in the easy parts.

Publius is obviously more mature than he was in the first book and
Tim Mcdougall
Apr 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
Whyte starts with a great concept -- an alternative view of the Arthur mythos, this time with Arthur's ancestors as Roman soldiers. And he does some of the best battle scenes in the business. He does his research, choreographs them well, and generates real tension when he's focusing here.

So ... why he decides to go on for hundreds of pages at a time while his main characters do nothing but extol the virtues of farming, or the beauty of his wife, or the virtues of working hard as a blacksmith is
Don Maker
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rather than the romantic, fantastical versions of Camelot, this is the story of how it all might have really come about. This is book two of at least nine in the Camulod Chronicles, and I have ordered books one and three after reading this. Because the story begins at the tail end of the fourth century, it is very much about the Roman influence on Britain, and how the two cultures merged together as the Roman Empire was disintegrating. It seems Mr. Whyte did his research, as the lifestyles and e ...more
Barth Siemens
Gaius Publius Varrus, the first person narrator, lived a rich and varied life that he tells through this series by Jack Whyte. If Commander Varrus has one fault, it is that he halts his narration all too often for an exposition on this or that—often about his long-held dream to smith a sword for the ages. As a reader, these tangents disrupts the flow and sidelines my suspension of disbelief.

For someone who said so much about smithing swords, I was dismayed that he wanted me to accept that it was
Benjamin Thomas
The second book in the “Camulod Chronicles” picks up shortly after the events of the first book, The Skystone. It continues the tale of Caius Britannicus and Publius Varrus (both great grandfathers of the future King Arthur of Briton) as they continue to build the colony of Camulod during the turn of the 5th century AD, when Rome was pulling out of Briton and leaving the Brits, the Celts, and other assorted peoples to deal with various invading groups such as the Saxons and the Northmen.

I love t
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction
This is the second book in the Camulod Chronicles, which began in The Skystone. The book deals with the legend of King Arthur, but unlike other treatments of the material I've read, it's entirely realistic, with none of the fantastical--that, in fact is it's fascination. I haven't read the series by Bernard Cornwall or Stephen Lawhead, so maybe they're in that vein, but even the novels by Mary Stewart that put the stories in the Dark Ages Romano-British context had elements of fantasy--let alone ...more
Jessiqa
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
This is the second book in Whyte's Camulod Chronicles, a saga of the Arthurian Legend. These are historical novels, as opposed to the fantasy books that generally populate the Arthurian genre.

This book follows Publius Varrus, as did the last one. He's a blacksmith, but also the leader of the army at the Colony. They run into a spot of trouble at the Colony, thanks to an old foe, but once that is cleared up, they make some very powerful friends. The threat of Saxon raiders comes closer to home in
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secondo e sempre più avvincente capitolo delle Cronache di Camelot, segue per i tre quarti della trama le sorti del fabbro Publio e della sua Colonia, dando un magnifico spezzone della vita in Britannia nel 400 d.C., contemporaneamente alla decadenza dell'Impero Romano. Nell'ultima parte Publio forgia una spada molto speciale, trait d'union per le storie che seguiranno.
Trama avvincente, facilmente accessibile a chiunque (a parte qualche termine tecnico), scorrevole. Ottima lettura. Unico neo: al
Chuck Slack
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Singing Sword is the second of a three book series and it kind of reads like it. The first book sets up the storyline and I imagine the third finishes it making the second a gap filler. This book dedicates a lot of pages to not much action but rather "fleshes out" the overall story. It presents the foundations of a new form of government, new methods of warfare, new weaponry, all happening near the end of the Roman Empire. This is what makes this book an interesting read.

Jack Whyte is a ver
Christopher
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's also told from the first person view of Publius Varrus, although it shows more nuance and duality to him than the first book. In the first book, he was more pure and heroic than this book, in which we find him dealing with the intricate relationship issues that come with marriage, lust, love, alliance, and teacher. Whereas the first book has a lot of dialog dealing with the philosophy of society, this book contains a decent amount of dialog regarding spiritual roles of God and Man in relati ...more
Wanda
I really enjoyed this second book in Whyte's Arthurian series. It gave a great feel of life in Roman Britain as things are deteriorating (at least if you're a Roman). I appreciate his giving the characters motivations that 21st century people can relate to. It's a little heavy on the military/battle detail than I usually read, but it works in this context. The story does follow military men after all. And I adore all the Roman epithets! I will definitely be ordering the 3rd book from my library ...more
Heidi
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
So the Chronicles of the Roman Preppers continues to be unintentionally hilarious as old war buddies band together to prepare for the coming of the Roman Apocalypse. Still fairly entertaining although not much happens. I would have given it 3 stars if I had not become weary of the women's roles in this story and totally offended by the way he describes gay men. I haven't decided whether to continue my rereading of this series (as prelude to finally finishing the last volumes) or spend my time on ...more
Megan
Not as good as the first. I really like Whyte's writing style, but this book meandered too much without enough purpose, and just didn't further the plot of the series enough. The ending was very fast and abrupt. I liked it (and the first) sufficiently to continue the series, though.
Dean
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great book
Steve
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read 3 times!
Tiffany
This is the second in a series that most Canadians know as the 'a Dream of Eagles', and though this book gets more into depth about the Colony that becomes known as Camulod, this renaming doesn't happen until much, much later on when tragedy strikes the community.

I was first drawn to this series because of its Arthurian ties, and though I was wary of the first book, I found that I enjoyed the Skystone to the point that I binge bought the series in its entirety from the library's monthly book sal
Joe Rohaly
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jack Whyte did not disappoint me with the second book of his series Camulod Chronicles. Aside from the fact that the title mystery did not reveal itself until the very end, I found this story compelling. I am really into the Britanicus and Varus families. Life in the fourth century was very much like life in the twenty-first century with the exception that their level of technology was so much less. Most of their weapons were sharp, and relied on a person swinging a knife, sword, axe, or lance a ...more
Olethros
-Ya se ve hacia dónde apunta el autor en realidad.-

Género. Novela histórica (con mucha ficción, sin serlo exactamente, pero la calificación orienta mejor que otras).

Lo que nos cuenta. El abandono de la Antigua Roma de sus conquistas en Britania es un hecho, y mientras diferentes facciones van tomando esos territorios, Gayo Publio Varrón y Cayo Cornelio Británico luchan por mantener su pequeña colonia a salvo y con independencia, pero se están haciendo mayores y ellos mismos lo notan. Segundo lib
Brentman99
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a bit longer to read this book than the last one as the action seemed to move a bit slower and the subplots drove a lot more of the action. While not totally a distraction as I learned more about the characters, it took me away from the main story that I wanted to move forward.

I thought that the author took his time getting to the end, but it was pretty climatic. Some of the scenes were pretty intense, even with a bit of good old smut that, to me, seemed fairly graphic but well done.

O
Keso Shengelia
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful second volume in this series. A fast moving and exciting story. For anyone who enjoys historical fiction, I highly recommend this series. The story line was excellent and the whole book was in great condition.
Renee
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Very interesting characters, history, storytelling. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Marc Dorval
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Not quite as strong as the first, but the second half held my attention and closed with a bang. A great new retelling of the legend of Excalibur.
Tex-49
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avvincente continuo del primo libro della saga Le cronache di Camelot, avventura e intrigo alla vigilia del ritiro delle legioni romane dalla Britannia. Si legge d'un fiato!
Tim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the serious, to be honest. still viable, but just not my favorite.
Nancy Gerards
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
boring
Lenore
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Not as good as the first one in the series. A bit quiet in the middle.

The last couple chapters has quite the ending though!
Larry Lange
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is not a quick read, but I enjoyed it. A blend of the remnants of the Roman Empire and in future books King Arthur. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Goodreads Librari...: things 2 18 Jul 04, 2014 08:58AM
  • Sword at Sunset
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
  • Il tradimento
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn)
  • King Arthur
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)
Jack Whyte is an author and writer born and raised in Scotland, but has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada since 1967.

Whyte's major work to date is the A Dream of Eagles series (as it is titled in Canada, but known as The Camulod Chronicles in the United States and elsewhere). This series of historical novels presents the tale of King Arthur set against the backdrop of Roman Britain.

Arthur the Legend (2 books)
  • The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage