Start by marking “The Trouble with Shooting Stars” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Shooting Stars

The Trouble with Shooting Stars

Twelve-year-old Luna loves the nighttime more than anything else. It’s when no one gives her “that look” about the half mask she has to wear while healing from a disfiguring car accident. It’s also the perfect time to sit outside and draw what she sees. Like the boy and girl from the new family next door…zipping out of the window in a zeppelin and up to the stars.

At first
Published August 20th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Shooting Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Shooting Stars

Start your review of The Trouble with Shooting Stars
Hannah Greendale
May 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
The Trouble with Shooting Stars beckons with the premise of twelve-year-old Luna befriending her peculiar neighbors who take her sailing through the night sky to sweep the moon, tidy the constellations, and nurse baby stars, but the entire narrative languishes in mundane trivialities. This book is in desperate need of momentum or narrative incline. Nearly DNF'd several times throughout.
Elisabeth
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was an intriguing fantasy combined with a difficult reality. It had wonderful lessons, but I didn’t feel like I was being taught or lectured.
Lucas Garner
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Meg Cannistra’s debut novel, The Trouble with Shooting Stars, feels a bit anachronistic to me, in that it feels like a book that I would have read and adored as a child, but yet I get to experience this perfectly magical and emotional tale as an adult instead, looking intrinsically, finding that childlike wonder still buried in myself.

Cannistra weaves two tales together masterfully; one side carries the personal and family drama the main character, Luna, must endure, the other the mysterious and
Kathy Stone
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story about accepting trials in life. Luna and her father were involved in a car accident just before the start of seventh grade, As a result Luna does not start school at the beginning of the year, but has a classmate bring her work to her each week.. She is afraid to talk to her best friend as she is burnt and her nose is broken, forcing her to wear a compression mask.. The word "ugly" hangs in the air.

During this time of isolation, Luna meets the spacitricci, star sweepers,
CynnieRose
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glorious.
Rachel
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful children’s/middle school coming-of-age tale about overcoming obstacles and growing up. Hands down: I’d hand this out to anyone I knew around that age to read and enjoy. Heck, I’m an adult, and I enjoyed it. This book reminded me of what would happen if Ramona Quimby stumbled upon Italian magic. Everyone needs a little twinkle of stardust and moondust in their life. ⭐️🌕⭐️
Valerie McEnroe
One of those books I wanted to love but couldn't fully get there.

Luna and her father are trying to deal with the physical challenges following a car accident. Luna has facial scarring and wears a Phantom of the Opera type mask. Her father is recovering in a wheel chair. Both of them have become rather reclusive, not wanting to deal with people and their stares. Luna has avoided her best friend despite her efforts to visit.

Not long after the accident, a family with magical powers moves in next do
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
Unpopular review here:

This one was a flop in my eyes. The premise sounded amazing and the book was touted as a fantastical middle grade coming of age story which it did hit upon but again, ultimately, fell flat. I almost put it down and left it on the shelf for good but I felt that I needed to put my heartfelt (yet unpopular) review out there so people who are debating on whether or not to pick up this read could see that it didn't vibe with everyone. There are a bunch of glowing reviews and I r
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Trouble with Shooting Stars by Meg Cannistra, 321 pages. Simon & Schuster, 2019. $18.

Language: G Mature Content: G Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Luna is having a hard time accepting the facial scarring she’s had since the car accident. The mask she wears doesn’t help. She doesn’t want to go to school and won’t return her friend’s calls. Then a new family moves in next door and they are anything but ordinary. Luna sees them playing with stars and before lon
Frank Frank
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
C. S.
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, netgalley
This was an okay entry in my furthering quest to read more middle grade. It started very slow and took me a while to get into it, but it brought up some interesting ideas.

It was a cute concept in the flying ship and stars as metaphor category. I also thought it was interesting to see Italian-American rep with part of the magic supposedly based on Italian folklore, although I suspect some of the Italian words are not quite on the money.

The story has disability and disfigurement rep, and while I l
Barbra
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After Luna’s car accident she struggles to regain her old life and her old self. Then the neighbors move in and she magically escapes with them on journeys to release baby stars and shine the moon. If she can only catch a shooting star she may be able to change things. From the beginning to the end we struggle along side Luna, hope, pray and cheer for her. This wonderful story of turning tragedy into triumph will touch the hearts of young readers aged 8 to adult. I loved this uplifting book that ...more
Natalie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, but I didn’t think I would. I would have never found out about this book, but i just happened to find it a Barnes and Noble. This book is about a 11 or 12 year old girl who was in a car accident and her face got burned really bad. She now has a hard time going out in public or looking at herself. This book is all about her journey to healing inside and out and the friends who help her along. The book is imaginative and sweet and I enjoyed it 😊
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
After a car accident, 12-year-old Luna struggles to come to terms with the mask she wears while her facial injuries heal. She is enjoying drawing things she sees through her binoculars in her neighborhood. This is how she first notices the Sapienti siblings, her new neighbors who secretly watch over infant stars. As Luna gets to know the Sapientis, she enters a world of magic, adventure, and history.
Sara
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please read The Trouble with Shooting Stars. This novel was the first thing I have finished in months, and I am so glad for it. You can’t help but feel personally invited into Luna’s little world, and we are all the better for it.

P.S. - if you cry often, make sure you have tissues nearby.
Emily Masters
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magical
Abbey
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
the book was very fun to read.
Kate
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booktalks-2020
Read for work. A book that mixes magic with the heartache of real life. A lot more somber than I expected, but very well written.
Lindsey Haderlie Boulier
If you love Wonder and A Monster Like Me, than you will love this book as well!
Kelly
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs this book for one reason or another! Luna’s story will stay with you for a long time. And you’ll never look at the stars the same way.
Giselle
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tasslyn Magnusson
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and magical. I really loved it.
Džesima Mehulić
Sep 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Roll with It
  • Count Me In
  • Changeling (The Oddmire #1)
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus