Start by marking “All the Things We Do in the Dark” as Want to Read:
All the Things We Do in the Dark

All the Things We Do in the Dark

There’s no such thing as a secret.

SOMETHING happened to Ava. The curving scar on her face is proof. But Ava would rather keep that something hidden—buried deep in her heart and her soul.

She has her best friend Syd, and she has her tattoos—a colorful quilt, like a security blanket, over her whole body—and now, suddenly, she has Hailey. Beautiful, sweet Hailey, who seems to
Published October 29th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about All the Things We Do in the Dark, please sign up.
Titus Hart I believe that is what the author is going for. I have not yet read the book, but the Nov. 2019 issue of BookPage quotes her as saying she sought to a…moreI believe that is what the author is going for. I have not yet read the book, but the Nov. 2019 issue of BookPage quotes her as saying she sought to avoid "adding one more fictional rape to a world that uses it far too often for entertainment," and, in BookPage's words, "Mitchell retells a traumatic event from her childhood, adding elements of fabulist to create 'All the Things We Do in the Dark.'"(less)

Start your review of All the Things We Do in the Dark
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 04, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
"Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller by acclaimed author Saundra Mitchell." <----- SOLD

I'm really grateful that YA fiction is tackling current, weighty issues for teens. I wish this type of fiction had been more mainstream when I was in high school.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Diana
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I blame this book -in a good way- for staying up really late with it on my hands. First of all, thank you for writing this. It's a powerful, raw book. It doesn't sugarcoats, it delivers in a way you feel the stress and the fears of the main protagonist, and that can only come from experience. This is a book about a girl of 9 who is raped by a man, and survives to tell the tale. And that is what she does, share her story. The highs and the lows, how everything she does or doesn't do can or can't ...more
alana ♡
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Everybody else gets to leave a mark on me. Why can't I leave my own?"

My first Goodread's update about this book was "this is gonna hurt", and boy was I right. All the Things We Do in the Dark came across my radar when I saw it pitched as The Lovely Bones meets Sadie. Normally, I try not to let the when X meets Y comparison be the reason I pick up books, but I mean, how I could I not for this one? This book centers largely around rape and PTSD and it's important that you go into this one und
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Thank you to HarperTeen and Edelweiss for proving an E-arc in exchange for an honest review.
Enne (they/he)
4 stars

I've been meaning to read this book for so long and now that I have and two months have passed since I finished it, I truly have no idea what to say about it.

I'm not quite sure how to give a synopsis for this book because it's about so many things that narrowing it down to just one doesn't feel right. It's about the way trauma manifests in different ways throughout a person's life, it's about friendship, it's about love, it's about the way trauma affects your relationships, it's about th
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
2.5 STARS

Nine-year-old Ava is scarred by her rapist. Eight years later she carries the weight of her experience within her and a large scar on her face, a mark that reminds everyone what happened. When Ava discovers the naked body of a murdered teen in the woods, she feels a kinship and names her Jane. Not trusting the police, Ava decides to solve the murder.

ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is a beautifully written novel, but one that I didn’t enjoy reading. Saundra Mitchell chose to write ALL T
Sam
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2020
I’m at a loss for several reasons when it comes to this novel. I have plenty of praises, but each of them seem to come hand in hand with something negative.

The writing, for instance. There were plenty of times through the book where I thought “Wow, this writing is gorgeous!” But then, other times I found the writing to be...not good, especially the dialogue, which I found mostly cringey. I think the writing also made me a bit more distanced from the characters for whatever reason, maybe not so
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars review to come
Nev
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqiap, 2019
This book was fucking phenomenal. All the Things We Do in the Dark is a dark, beautifully written book about Ava, a teenage girl who was raped as a child and left with a scar across her face. She doesn’t have many friends and spends most of her time at home. But when she finds the body of a girl in the woods, her life is turned upside down again.

From the very first pages, this book is so intense. It covers rape, PTSD, mental health, and victim blaming in a way that is seamlessly integrated into
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

I was super intrigued about this book, and even though lately I haven’t been reading a lot of YA contemporary books, I love me a good dark contemporary, but unfortunately even though I had such high expectations I didn’t end up liking All the Things We Do in The Dark as much as I thought I would.

First of all, I deeply respected the author for writing about something that hit so close to her and I don’t really have an opinion of that. I think th
Olivia
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

ALL THE THINGS WE DO IN THE DARK is an intensely challenging and thought-provoking read with some magical realism elements. In the book, there is a trigger/content warning up front and center, but this does not always appear on online listings, so I will start by saying that this book contains sexual assault, sexual and physical violence, and PTSD. This story is made all the more poignant for the basis of the assault being from the
Ashleigh
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow.. this book hit me hard.

When Ava was 9 years old, she was led away by a stranger and raped. Her rapist left her with a facial scar and internal scars. He was never found or prosecuted for what he did to her. Growing up, Ava has had many struggles (obviously) and finds comfort in her easy predictable life with her best friend Syd. But when Ava comes across a dead body in the woods, her first instinct is to keep the body a secret, not wanting anyone else to hurt the dead girl. Suddenly, she st
Kellie
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't speak about how much this book means to me, and why, but it does. Especially the ending. Not the solve of the mystery, but the other stuff. You'll see.

Also! This book has trigger warnings at THE FRONT OF THE BOOK. That's huge (it shouldn't be, though) and I don't think I've ever seen any other book do it. This is where trigger warnings should always be - screw those who think spoilers matter more than the feelings of real people.

Sorry. Off my soapbox now.

Anyway, even putting aside how me
Laura (midorireads)
I don’t know what I thought this book was going to be about...but it definitely surprised me by delving deep into the damaged psyche of a teenaged girl who had had something absolutely horrific happen to her as a child, but was also a crime that was never solved.

So, not only do we now know that the MC has this history that is constantly haunting her; but then she finds a dead body.

A dead body.

It’s this discovery that has the MC’s mind all over the place, and because of this, I’ll admit tha
Chelsea
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) from a local bookstore for their Teen Advisory Group. My opinion is my own and is not impacted by anyone. All quotes used may not be in the finished copy.

"You know in your heart, your still-beating heart, that it's a lie. But you take the lie, you chew the lie, you swallow the lie.
If you didn't, you might never stop screaming,"
All the Things We Do in the Dark by Saundra Mitchell is an edgy mystery perfect for the creepy October season. I was enthrall
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss-read
This book was beautifully written. It was captivating, relatable, raw, and gut wrenching. It also has a trigger warning at the beginning which was nice. This was one of those books that I went into blind. I saw the cover, saw the title and thought "Why the hell not"? This was not what I was expecting but I found myself picking it up any chance I got.
Ava is a girl who at the age of 9 decides she wants to trust a stranger who offers her some relief from the summer heat. She knew better than to tr
Desdemona
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Everybody else gets to leave a mark on me. Why can’t I leave my own?”

This book hurt me. The experiences of the main character, Ava, are so similar to my own that I experienced a lot of flashbacks to my life as a child and a victim of pedophilia and sexual assault. I understood her so well and the way these things make you feel and shape you into the person you become. This book resonated with me so much I still think about it even though it’s been almost a whole year since I read it. Rememb
Kristeen Hughes
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Round up to 4.5 stars.
Morgan
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Read at work for review for ROYAL*

Wooow a lot to unpack and a lot of tough issues tackled. Full review to come.
Breck
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great book full of suspense. It keeps you interested while also addressing important issues.
Chelsea
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
My favorite thing about this book is that it has a trigger warning at the beginning and, shock and wonder, it doesn’t change the impact of the story at all. I was in a good enough place to read it anyway and I loved it, but for those who aren’t, they’ll know up front and won’t be smacked in the face with unwanted trauma reminders. Aside from that, it has my favorite kind of writing, dreamy and a little fragmented, and it’s gay, and what more do I need?
Michael Lee
I hope this isn't wrong of me, but I disliked this because it was not what I thought it was going to be. This is not a mystery or a thriller. This is a hard hitting contemporary. It has an important, crucial message, really. But I was looking for a plot and twists.
Brenna Clark
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Edelweiss for the ARC of this novel! I honestly did not know what to expect from this book when I requested it. I knew the cover was beautiful and that the premise felt like a YA horror novel that I could not miss out on. It was so much more than that, and I was left with an overwhelming sadness but also a kind of peace. It was so genuine and felt like the protagonist was telling her story to just me and soon she became less of a fictional character and more of a living, bre ...more
Kelly Gunderman
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

***Actual Rating: 4.5/5 Stars***

I was really drawn to All the Things We Do in the Dark from the moment I read the synopsis for the book. Granted, I kind of just heard about this book like two weeks ago, and wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but it sounded really good and I wanted to check it out.

I was excited to start reading this one. I settled down and started reading it, and
Kathy Martin
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This first person story lets us deep into the mind of a young woman dealing with a significant tragedy in her life. Ava was raped and assaulted when she was nine years old which has left her with a scar on her face as her only visible injury. Inside she's much more damaged. Now seventeen, she doesn't go anywhere without her mother or her best friend Syd. She doesn't like being around groups of people which makes school a kind of torture for this very bright young woman.

She has a number of hidden
Tara
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-copyright
Part mystery, part recovery from rape. The author's note is important because Saundra Mitchell discusses the fact that the rape in this fictional story is essentially the same rape that she herself experienced as a child. Good writing, with just a little bit of confusion throughout.
Ellyson Stolcpart
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the Things We Do in the Dark is a book with a great storyline. If it is hard for you to stay interested in a book for a long period of time, this is the book for you. There are so many unexpected turns in the book that you wouldn’t see coming. After one thing that was surprising at first suddenly becomes normal in the story and it gets boring, don’t you worry because as you flip the next page something else will be waiting to jump out at you. On page 48 it says, “A bright hot pain spikes thr ...more
Alison Paulette
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"That people are more than the things they do in the dark. That they do in shame.That they hide from and hide inside.....I am not broken, I am healing I am not bad, I am complicated. I am not a basket case, I have PTSD. There is nothing wrong with me, and a lot right with me. I am more than my trauma."

Nine-year-old Ava was lured into the darkness of the woods one summer day and raped. Seventeen-year-old Ava keeps that memory, along with all the other aspects of her life, carefully bound in boxes
Kimberly
Actual Star Rating: 4.25

SPOILERS*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS

The story is labeled as a mystery/thriller - who is the dead girl? who killed her? - but at its heart, it is a story of a young girl (17-year-old Ava) who is suffering from PTSD due to being raped when she was 9-years-old and left with not only mental scars but a very prominent physical one down the side of her face. Every time she looks in the mirror she is reminded of what happened to her. Every time someone asks about her scar - or loo
Mandi Schneck
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was INTENSE. That's honestly the best word to describe All the Things We Do in the Dark by Saundra Mitchell. Intense and dark and raw. Before I even hop into this review, definitely placing a huge trigger warning on this for rape/sexual assault. One thing I absolutely loved about this book was that it had a trigger warning for this right in the very first pages, as well as resources related to this in the back. This one is a YA contemporary with a few thriller elements mixed in.

Ava exp

• The Black Coats
  • Frozen Beauty
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • White Bird
Saundra Mitchell is the author of SHADOWED SUMMER, THE VESPERTINE, THE SPRINGSWEET, THE ELEMENTALS and MISTWALKER. In non-fiction, she’s the author of the THEY DID WHAT!? series for middle grade readers. She’s also the editor of the YA anthology DEFY THE DARK. IN 2018, HarlequinTEEN will publish her next anthology, ALL OUT.

Writing as Jessa Holbrook, she published her first romantic contemporary YA