Start by marking “The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)

The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,165 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Spring 1366, Beverley, England--a ghostly pale young woman claims to be the resurrected Joanna Calverley, a nun who died of a fever some months before. It would be a matter for the Church alone, were it not for the murders that seem to follow in her wake.

Owen Archer finds the case a frusterating one. Dame Joanne is by turns cagey and hysterical, whiel always clutching her
Published October 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Nun's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nun's Tale

Shauna
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have read most of the books in this series. The cover calls it a medieval murder mystery but there is no whodunnit as such. The story revolves around a nun who fled her convent a year before and now returns, badly beaten and seemingly mad. I think the author wanted to write about the history and political machinations of the time as there is no actual murder, just a series of disappearances that may or may not be murder. I felt like giving up halfway through but kept hoping things would get be ...more
Leslie
I liked Robb's first two books in this series but this one was poorly crafted. The story was overly involved, repetitive, excessively grisly in detail, and unrewarding for those who stuck with it hoping it would have been worth it. I am sorry to leave the appealing Owen Archer and his wife Lucy in her company but will not be back soon!
Raven Haired Girl
Robb strikes again with another fabulous mystery in this series. Possessing a wicked edge, numerous twists and Robb's signature character development you will be enthralled. Robb's endings are always fulfilling, enough to stir anticipation for the next installment in this impressive series.

Familiar characters reappear, along with a few well-known historical figures such as John of Gaunt and Geoffrey Chaucer. Impeccable research along with a splattering of unknown information provides an educatio
P.D.R. Lindsay
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Owen Archer novel. This one is a little irritating as the Nun spends all her time bleating that she doesn't know what happened and I felt like shaking her!

Another good complex plot, lively action, good pace and the usual characters. My one complaint is that the characters don't seem to grow and change from novel to novel as they would in real life! Often the trouble with a series.

Anyone enjoying Mediaeval mysteries will enjoy this novel, and for Owen Archer fans, it is a must read.
Laura Edwards
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
The nun's tale was a very convoluted tale. About halfway through I grew very bored with the book. I cared nothing for most of the characters, had little sympathy for Joanna and just wanted the whole thing to end, each revelation being more disgusting than the last. Did not enjoy this one much at all.

The only pluses were the writing style and the sense of time and place. But the story itself was awful, repetitious, confusing and plodding.
Jan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Easy to read, good plot line, historians should enjoy. The archer brings a lot to the story as a hero as well as a commentator,
Enjoying this series, very much

John Lee
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
" Its not like holding a real book in your hand , is it?"
I am sure that anyone who uses an E-reader will be used to hearing that one. I usually laugh it off and counter with , how light my well stocked holiday read bag is, or how I can read in bed at night without having to turn on a light and disturb my wife.
Because I use more than one reading app on my tablet, one thing that I do miss is knowing how big my book is. I know how many 'locations' ( as I believe a 'screenful' of script is called bu
Patty
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the third of the Owen Archer mysteries and I must admit this one was a bit darker than the first two. It wasn’t a straightforward murder mystery like the others either – in this one we have nun who everyone thought was dead suddenly showing up alive. This might be something that would go over right now but in Owen Archer’s time it just didn’t happen. Unless there was evil involved. So is this woman the 14th century equivalent of a zombie or is she a touch mad?

Owen and his lady wife Lucie
Patsyann
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epilogue
What a crazy woman!! That's all I can say about the plot of this book!!
The Lucie and Owen relationship is much better in this book. Lucie is pregnant and both she and Owen are worried about raising their child. The only thing that bothered me about the pregnancy was that Lucie had been pregnant before and had delivered a child. This pregnancy was treated as if it was her first. Lucie becomes the interviewer and part of an investigation into that crazy nun woman. At times Owen seemed to be a seco
Donna
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad. A little too romantic for my taste, but there are not many historical mysteries out there.
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
  • The Red Velvet Turnshoe (Abbess of Meaux, #2)

My novels are inspired by my study of the late Middle Ages in Northern Europe. My 3 mystery series feature medieval sleuths: the Kate Clifford mysteries, set in York at the cusp of the 15th c, feature a strong, independent widow forged on the warring northern marches. The Owen Archer mysteries are set in England and Wales in the late 14th century. The Margaret Kerr mysteries in Scotland in the lat
More about Candace Robb...

Owen Archer (10 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)