Start by marking “Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)

Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon #3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,300 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
In this third novel in her acclaimed Tears of Artamon saga, Sarah Ash once again transports readers to a realm where sorcery collides with political intrigue...and where one man haunted by a dark legacy is locked in a fierce struggle between the forces of good and evil battling for supremacy within him....
Gavril Nagarian is believed dead-perished in the heat of battle. Bu
Published May 30th 2006 by Spectra Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Serpent Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Serpent Gate

Rosu Aquabutts
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
"I liked it."

Okay, despite the fact that I gave this a lower rating than Lord of Snow and Shadows and Prisoner of the Iron Tower, I actually didn't like it any less. In fact, if anything, I liked it more. Shit Got Real very quickly here and I was incredibly impressed with how tightly constructed the ending was considering just how many characters and things were going on. I absolu
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Children of the Serpent Gate” is a spectacular, stunning conclusion to this wonderful series that has claimed a place in my top 5 best fantasy sagas. This has been such a powerful story and I’ve enjoyed every word of it. It’s a layered, complex and enthralling story that stays with you long after you’ve finished the last page.

Kaspar Linnaius is a prisoner of the Commanderie in Francia, Gavril has just found Kiukiu but is about to lose here again, Kiukiu is struggling with the Drakhaoul’s Childr
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
It took me five months to finish this book, which is a long time for me to be reading a book. So long, in fact, that friends and co-workers began to ask me why I didn't just stop reading it if it was so obviously terrible.

And there's the problem. It wasn't terrible, it was mediocre, and I found that mediocrity terribly disappointing. It took me forever to finish this book because, after a certain point, reading it was a chore; I didn't stop reading this book because, even though I had stopped ca
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT... I thought it was a great ending to the trilogy! It was unfortunate as far as Andrei is concerned. I feel like like he was robbed in a lot of ways. He was possessed from the start (after his awakening, so to speak). I wish Lilias paid a much bigger price. Her threats at the end weren't really addressed, although I don't think they will really matter after her conduct and the fact she would be going up against the Emperor himself. I wish she was sent to Arnskammar. I imagine the L ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragon
This is a lovely ending to this great trilogy. It's all doom and gloom which I like. The hopelessness is a bit heavy to bear yet make the story so much better for me. Gavril does not lead an easy life. This tale is the final obstacle. It's complicated and well written. I'd read it again.
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the final conflict seems a little absurd compared to the relative realism of the rest of the series, the epic confrontations and character development converge to create a satisfying ending. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent ending to the trilogy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aditivo: 3
Previsível: 2.5
Althea Ann
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reviewing "Prisoner of the Iron Tower" and "Children of the Serpent Gate" together.
These are #2 and #3 in the trilogy, and I feel much the same way about them as I did about the first book: I really liked them.

Thee aren't books I would recommend to a non-fantasy fan in order to win them over to fantasy - but if you're a fan of long, complex fantasies with lots of plotting and politics as well as action and magic and just a little romance - well, these deliver.

The ante is upped here, as more of
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The final installment of this Trilogy, Children of the Serpent Gate, was full of action. The beginning of the book could have been more eventful in my opinion but still it was not boring at all. The ending chapters were ful of action and I could not put the book down. Nevertheless I did find that it left me with many unanswered questions, like "What will happen to Kiukiu's first born?" or "What was the price the Magus paid, and what will happen to him now, will he train Karila?". Finally I am ha ...more
Crazy Uncle Ryan
So, this was pretty good. My only real complaint is that some parts of the story didn’t really get wrapped up and kinda left me hanging and some important characters hardly showed up in this volume. One thing that I really enjoyed was all the stuff about Astasia when she was pregnant and when her baby was born. I just recently became a father so I smiled a lot as they were talking about baby stuff that I can now relate too. Especially the part where the baby gets fussy and starts to cry and as a ...more
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
All three books in this series need to be read in order. I really enjoyed the series and this book, but I was disappointed by the ending because it was abrupt. I felt more of the characters could have been mentioned in the last few pages. The character development was great throughout the series. I really liked how no one was simply good or evil; there was a lot of grey area that left room for the reader to decide who was the "big bad". For example some readers probably thought Eugene was one of ...more
Clay Kallam
Oct 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Sarah Ash’s Tears of Artamon series, which concludes dismally with ‘Children of the Serpent Gate’ (Bantam Spectra, $23, 516 pages). ‘Children of the Serpent Gate’ echoes the depression of ‘Prisoner of the Iron Tower’, and what redemption comes arrives not only very late, but almost completely unbelievably. If you’ve started this series, the finish isn’t really worth the time and energy; if you haven’t, don’t bother.
This is a lengthy triology and the ending was not satisfactory. It is quite clear there will be more to the story for several of the main characters. The book was excellently put together and the storyline was unique. Even the good guys were forced to do horrible things to survive. There is suffering with little reward. I highly recommend this book if you enjoy books like The Name of the Wind or Deep Waters.
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z2009
The ending left a few questions unanswered, which I guess leaves room for another series, although the main points were wrapped up well.

I ended up enjoying this book a bit more than the others in the series. I'm not sure if it's because I read them all in a row and so I felt I got to know the characters more, or because it was a bit faster paced.
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am still WOWed! This one took me a little longer to get through because the pace was a little congested. With a cast of characters as big as this book has, it's no wonder that it took so long to finish the tale. But the finish was everything I had hoped for yet nothing that I expected. Wonderful ending for a wonderful series.
May 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found the books actually got better as the series progressed. I might give this 2.5 stars. In general, I thought Sarah Ash's writing style was too banal and her dialogue induced eye-rolls regularly. But parts of the story and character development were worth it. I especially liked how her human characters are not all good or evil, but had gradations between the two.
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this series. One thing that was odd was how much I loved the series, and yet I couldn't read it for too long. So the series was definitely not perfect, but it made up for it's flaws.

The ending has so many things left unsaid I'm really hoping Sarah Ash will continue on with where this book left off.
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
The series ends with a whimper, honestly, although you may as well read it if you enjoyed the first two. Things get very confused, major new elements are added on a last-minute basis, and the world loses much of its color, on the whole.

Still. . .some cool ideas, and the characters remain fairly appealing.
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
for some reason i liked less than the first two books and couldn't wait for it all to end. I actually gave up caring about most of the characters about a third of the way into it. I don't know why -- i did not want to dislike this book. oh well. glad it's over and everything worked out well for most people.
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The series wrapped up with a neat resolution, but the story was a little disjointed to me. Like it skipped around a little and had some threads that were not followed. Also, it kind of annoyed me that a few relatively minor characters became big players at the end. Still, I liked the trilogy and thought it was a clever premise.
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amy by: Jeff Sternstein
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I think the book is fine. I don't think it's spectacular, but fine. I think I would recommend reading all 3 books simultaneously. The 3rd book brings backs characters which were introduced in the first book so I barely remembered them.
The writing style is fine. Once again, it didn't capture me to read from page to page without stop, but it's fine.
Aug 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I wanted to like this author. I even got to the third book and, near the end, finally realized I really didn't care enough about the characters to care what happened to them. They were not loveable and certainly not likeable to me. The "hero" is stupid an whimpy. The "heroine" is kind of whiney. The supporting heroine was interesting and I could have focused on her story and been happy.
Aaron Williams
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a very good series. But for some reason by the middle of this book I was ready for the conclusion... Fantastic story, characters, idea, setting and everything but the flow wasn't quite there or something.
Yong En
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
There is so much potential in the world crafted in these books but the focus is frequently on inane nonsense. While I thoroughly enjoyed many parts of the story, too often does the cheesy writing make me wince in pain.
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-fantasy
While book 3 was definately the best of the three, the characterizations remained rather flat, making it hard to really care about the fate of each character. It's a decent enough series, just not up to par with the other trilogies/series out there in fantasy.
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this series until the last 50 pages of this book. The climax and conclusion seemed slapdash, and everything boiled down to "and they lived happily ever after," but without a sense of completion or logic that would've made it satisfying.
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, it was still pretty good but a lot of the draw from the first book steadly declined. By which I mean I felt perfectly comfortable stopping in places and leaving the book for long spaces of time in-between, which I didn't with the first.
Marsha Johnson
Sep 06, 2007 rated it liked it
What a great ending. A real bad guy sacrificing children...the "good guys" (who are also sometimes bad guys) coming together. It was great. And, of course, she left a couple of little loose ends that didn't really matter BUT give her a chance to do another series. I'll be watching for them!
Ronald Marcil
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Tears of Artamon #3
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Savage Messiah (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • Legacy of the Wolf: Cheysuli Omnibus #2
  • Lord of the Shadows (Second Sons, #3)
  • Full Circle (Castings, #3)
  • The Shadow at the Gate  (The Tormay Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Amber Wizard (The Osserian Saga, #1)
  • The Assassin's Edge (The Tales of Einarinn, #5)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The Chalice (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #3)
  • Talyn (Korre, #1)
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • The Dragon Conspiracy (World of Eldaterra, #1)
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
Sarah Ash was born and brought up in Bath. At university she trained as a musician, but is now a teacher and author of highly-praised novels, such as the Tears of Artamon Trilogy. Sarah Ash has recently moved back to Bath.
More about Sarah Ash...

Tears of Artamon (3 books)
  • Lord of Snow and Shadows (Tears of Artamon, #1)
  • Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Tears of Artamon, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion