Start by marking “Mercy Watson to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Mercy Watson to the Rescue

Mercy Watson to the Rescue

(Mercy Watson #1)

To Mr. and Mrs. Watson, Mercy is not just a pig — she's a porcine wonder. And to the portly and good-natured Mercy, the Watsons are an excellent source of buttered toast, not to mention that buttery-toasty feeling she gets when she snuggles into bed with them. This is not, however, so good for the Watsons' bed. BOOM! CRACK! As the bed and its occupants slowly sink through ...more
Published August 23rd 2005 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Watson to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Watson to the Rescue

Calista
This book is filled with such whimsy and fun that one can almost hear it humming simply touching it. I almost expect the thing to glow it was filled with such frivolity and silliness.

A charming tale of a pig, Mercy, who lives with the Watson and in this story has to save her family. The art is all sunshine and smiles. I enjoyed this middle grade book.

Some light and happiness is a great way to start my day. Plus Kate is always an amazing author.
Sierra Abrams
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
i had to read this twice to the kid i nanny. it had *chapters*. damn right i'm counting it toward my challenge.

also kate dicamillo is a queen. i recommend her to everyone. "despereaux" still makes me cry. read all the things!!!!
La Coccinelle
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
After loving some of Kate DiCamillo's middle grade novels (as well as the wonderful Bink & Gollie series for kids), I thought I'd give this series a try. I'm not really big on anthropomorphized animals, especially if they talk. But I didn't have to worry about that here. Aside from a few human traits, Mercy is very much a pig. She does end up saving the day, but totally unintentionally; her mind is more on her stomach and playtime than it is on being a hero.

The pictures are really cute, almost with a quai
Wendi Lee
An old-fashioned story about one pig and the people who love her (plus the neighbors who do not). A bit too old-fashioned for my kids.
Amanda
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mercy Watson is a "porcine wonder," according to her human parents. Mr. and Mrs. Watson love their pig, Mercy, as if she were an only child. Mrs. Watson even dreams (happily) about fixing Mercy her favorite food: hot buttered toast. So when Mercy's desire to sleep with Mr. and Mrs. Watson puts all three of them in peril, the Watsons believe that Mercy's escape is an attempt to find help.

Mercy Watson to the Rescue is a funny story about parents who think only the best about their children (porci
Cheryl Gladfelter
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction, 2016, humor
A fun transitional book. I can see why kids really like Mercy. It doesn't hurt that Mercy and I have the same favorite food (hot buttered toast).
Abigail
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning Chapter-Book Readers
In this humorous 68-page chapter book, a playful toast-obsessed pet pig named Mercy saves the day when her antics with the neighbors result in the serendipitous arrival of the fire department.

Readers will no doubt be familiar with this author's fiction for older children, including the Newbery Medal-winning novel, The Tale of Despereaux . This first entry in a series of chapter books about a very special pig proves that DiCamillo's talents extend to writing for more than one age group. A fun, ligh-heart
Cadence Carr
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, rereads
"I liked that the police officers save the parents. The floor broke and they were on a bed but it was falling. Grandma Georgina was chasing Mercy Watson and Baby was the other person who lived in the house, she was crying in her bed. Mercy Watson was shining through the window and Baby didn't have her glasses on and she though Mercy was a monster outside. That morning all the police officers, Mom Watson, Dad Watson, Baby and her Grandma were sitting at their table eating toast together because n ...more
Lauren Johnson
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Mercy Watson chapter book series written by Kate DiCamillo. This text is the first in the series and readers are introduced to a pig named Mercy Watson. Mercy lives with a man and his wife, Mr and Mrs Watson. The reader is taken a delightful story of how Mercy loves hot buttery toast and the mishap that occurs when she jumps into bed with Mr and Mrs Watson. The story continues with Mercy running around in search of food. The readers are introduced to the Watson’s ne ...more
Brenna
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very funny book!
Erica
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emma loved this book. Perfect intro chapter book that I could read to her. Still has a lot of illustrations, but she loved to tell me what was going to happy by looking at the photos.
Caitlin W.
Mercy Watson's porcine hijinks are always worth a read. In this book, the first in the series, Mercy gets scared at night, and so decides to go sleep with her owners, Mr. and Mrs. Watson. Being the kind people that they are (the kind of kind people who would give a pig her own bed in her own room and sing to her every night), the Watsons have no problem with this, and they all blissfully fall asleep. Unfortunately, the added weight of the pig makes the bed start to fall through the floor, and al ...more
Megan
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
independent read for second-third grade

Van Dusen uses bright bold colors and comic-like pictures to lure the readers through the book. The appealing illustrations extend the meaning of DiCamillo's words. The author/publisher uses visual aids to help the newly independent reader: font size, white space, short sentences. Vocabulary allows them to read it fluently, but introduces new words to challenge them. This book would really be appealing because of its humor. Begins to use grammatical style
Christopher
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
(Transitional Reader: second grade to third or early fourth grade)

DiCamillo creates an entertaining story that is both fun and very easy to read. This book is perfect for a child that is looking for a book after picture books and before picture-less chapter books. The pages have no more than 13 lines. Most sentences contain 4-7 words, giving the reader's eyes plenty of time to rest. The story is episodic yet fluid enough to move the story. The cartoon-like pictures help to give the s
Cass
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I am just going to copy and paste the same review across all these books... they are all the same.

I didn't really enjoy this but my kids love it. They are 4 and 2 and they happily sit through the entire book (which takes about 10-15minutes to read). It is lengthy and not all pages have pictures, but they snuggle up and enjoy it, so for that reason it gets 3-stars.

The writing is uninteresting and follows an obvious line for each story (Mercy the pig goes to bed, some
Margie
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eleven years ago to the day, a series of books began with a pig. Does this pig live on Old MacDonald's farm? No, this pig does not live on a farm. This pig lives with Mr. Watson and Mrs. Watson in their home at 54 Deckawoo Drive.

Mercy Watson begins her adventures with Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Candlewick Press, August 23, 2005) written by Kate DiCamillo with illustrations by Chris Van Dusen. At the close of every day the Watsons tuck Mercy into bed, singing

My full recommenda
Adam
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Wonderfully illustrated! The stories are typical of the simplest text chapter books (first/beginning chapter book) series, but do retain that DiCamillo charm that will get a giggle out of most kids.

Not being strangled to death with controlled vocabularies of those leveled-by-difficulty Dick & Jane type readers, the Mercy Watson series remains a pleasant read for the category and great alternative to the boring-your-kids-out-of-reading-leveled-readers that are just a wee-bit too prevalent.
joanna Sondheim
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A hilarious story about a lovable pig, Mercy Watson, and her devoted owners, Mr. and Mrs. Watson. The book has huge appeal for young readers. The pictures by Chris Van Dusen are bright and cheery, with large text and line spacing, the story line is incredible funny, and just simple enough that early readers can follow along.
Eileen W
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
These Mercy Watson books are all fun. Love the senior ladies who live next door - Eugenia and "Baby" Lincoln. And Police Officer Tomilello. Love how every book ends with Mrs. Watson making Mercy's favorite treat for all present... hot toast "with a great deal of butter." These are simply fun and wholesome books!
Maya
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
My second grade teacher read a few of the Mercy Watson books aloud. I remember thinking about how funny and silly the book was...
Sofia
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book was awsome!!!!!!!!!!!It was also veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry funny!
Seamus
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Adrienne
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I thought it was hilarious and delightful. Simple but adorable.
Rhonda Nelson
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite series!!! I love giving each character a very distinctive voice and set of mannerisms as I read out loud. And the pictures are so awesome.
Erin Hatch
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Super fun. Made my kids and I laugh. Simple chapter book with fun pictures. Loved it.
Katherine Rue
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. My kids enjoy them (especially the buttered toast), but it's got a ridiculous amount of gender stereotypes.
Beth
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute pig who loves buttered toast and cuddling with her “parents.” Hilarity ensues. Fun for early grades.
Robin
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book for introducing chapter reading to your little ones!
Rachel
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute! My daughter loved it!
Lauri
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Mercy Watson! Early chapter book, great read aloud. Silly and lots of heart.
First Read: January 31, 2014
This book seems to have a lot of "spam" reviews! 20 22 Oct 18, 2014 07:35AM

• Lady Lollipop
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park (Lulu, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree (Piper Green, #1)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way! (Daisy Dawson, #1)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • The Circus Ship
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come

Mercy Watson (6 books)