Start by marking “Searching for Billy Shakespeare” as Want to Read:
Searching for Billy Shakespeare

Searching for Billy Shakespeare

Intensely introverted and socially awkward grad student Kate Mireau has loved only one man since she was a little girl.

William Shakespeare.

Unfortunately, he died over four hundred years ago.

Since no modern-day man will ever compete with the Bard’s wit and wisdom, Kate is destined for dissatisfaction in matters of the heart. Besides, any attempt she makes to step out of he
Published December 26th 2017 by Crista McHugh

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Billy Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Billy Shakespeare

Start your review of Searching for Billy Shakespeare
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Unfortunately this was just not the book for me. I LOVED the beginning and the supporting characters in the beginning but things didn't last the way that I expected them to. I felt like the blurb was misleading. However, the story was well written and I am still curious to check out the author's other works regardless of my negative review. Which I just despise doing by the way. Writing a bad review always puts me in a nasty hangover like state. Does anyone have an idea on a word or catchy phras ...more
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
Kate Mireau is a grad student trying to get her P.H.D in English writing a dissertation based on the works of William Shakespeare, as that has been the love of her life… The Bard. Growing up on a hippie Alpaca farm in Washington State with no T.V she had to try to keep herself occupied the best way she knew how.. by reading anything and Everything, ESPECIALLY, the works of William Shakespeare over and over again to the point of knowing them all of by heart.

After finding her fiance in the arms of
Babs
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Kate Mireau is a grad student who loves William Shakespeare. She is writing her dissertation that has taken many years to do and is due in a few months. She walks in her on fiancé cheating on her. Her best friend Livvy and her friend help Kate find a roommate.

Ari invites Kate to come interview for the roommate position. Kate ends up getting it and cooks and cleans for lower rent. Once day Gabe, Ari’s brother, calls and he need help from Kate for a role he wants to try out for. It requires Shakes
Heather
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was a fun contemporary romance by Christa McHugh that actually included several familiar characters from her Kelly Brothers series. This book is not part of that series, it just borrows some characters. Kate is a struggling student working on her dissertation of her favorite author, William Shakespeare, when she discovers her fiancé with another woman. Finding herself not only heartbroken but also homeless, she agrees to become basically a live-in maid for a rich socialite. In that capacity ...more
Mithila
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an E-Arc of this book via NetGalley.

The plot of this book is a cute romantic story: how an introverted grad student falls in love with a Hollywood celebrity. And in the backdrop of this entire story, the author includes quotes from Shakespeare that will make your romantic side swoon. I loved this part of the book, and it made the book feel more romantic and intellectual.

A gripe that I had with the book is that there wasn't enough coverage of Livvy, Kate's best friend, and even Ari,
Rhonda
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unique, fun romance

I was looking for something different to read and the title caught my eye. I'm so glad it did. Crista McHugh did a wonderful job bringing to life realistic characters and Shakespeare. Kate and Gabe develop a friendship via the phone as she coaches him on her life's work, Shakespeare. I loved that the author took the time to develop that relationship before it evolved into romance. I also enjoyed the supporting characters that made Kate's world come alive. This is the first boo
Christina
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet contemporary romance with an introverted, strong heroine that steals the heart of an extroverted actor.

Fighting through a nasty break-up, Kate decides to throw the same caution responsible for her ex’s transgressions to the wind and get a new flat. She strikes lucky as although her flatmate is a high society princess, Kate is just thankful to be able to afford the rent as she finishes her English PhD dissertation… which is stuck in a rut. Enter Gabe, her flatmate’s brother, who may be the
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
4.5 Stars

The cover for Searching for Billy Shakespeare is what caught my attention. The cover actually had me thinking this was one of Crista’s YA reads. In fact, it’s a New Adult Romance.

Searching for Billy Shakespeare marks my first time reading Crista McHugh, who has been on my author reading wish list for awhile. I have to admit, the first 20% of the book was not what I was expecting. In fact, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the book. I wasn’t getting a romance vibe and the heroine, Kat
Kristin Davison
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

I would like to thank netgalley and Season Publishing for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a clever story and I love the use of Shakespeare. But the academia does get a little bit of a bashing in this and towards the end the amount of work she gets done in such a short amount of time does get rather unbelievable.
Vickie
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Searching for Billy Shakespeare begins with Kate’s best friend, Livvy, talking her into going out with her and her girlfriend for the night. Even though Kate resists, she is eventually persuaded. They run by Kate’s apartment, which she shares with her fiancé. Upon entering, Kate’s world crumbles. She takes a little while to lick her wounds and find a new apartment.

Kate responds to an ad for someone searching for a roommate, and to her utter surprise, she is “approved”by her new roomie, Ari. Ther
Alima Livzletlivz
“Searching for Billy Shakespeare” is on f the most fun, trendy and spunky romances I’ve read. Penned by Crista McHugh, Gabe Harrison (appeared in her Kelly series) gets his own happy story with Kate Mireau, the introverted grad student and the Shakespeare addict working on her dissertation.

Teaching literature as she finishes her dissertation, circumstances take Kate Mireau to the residence of Ari to share an apartment. With makeovers and care, friendship brews and late night calls with Gabe Har
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Searching for Billy Shakespeare,  Crista McHugh

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: Romance

I loved the description – I adore movie star romances – but though Crista has written many books I've only read one, Here All Along, which is about Gabe's friend Gideon, and it didn't really work for me. Still, hesitantly I requested and – I'm so glad I did as I loved it.

It doesn't have the deep, heavy angst and drama I love so much, but Kate and Gabe were such great characters that I still was to
Bookgyrl
Kate is a grad student at Columbia, working on her dissertation on Shakespeare. When she catches her boyfriend cheating on her she has to find another place to stay and she is fortunate to find a new apartment (and roommate) at the East Side of Manhattan. Low rent and she only has to cater to her new roommate by making breakfast en cleaning the apartment.

When the brother of her roommate calls one night she is immediately taken in by his voice. And when he asks her to help him prepare for an audi
JG
So this was a fun and quick read for me, it was set in New York, it had a mini makeover with a twist and the female lead, Kate, was quite delightful. Finding her fiance inflagrante delicto in their shared flat was enough to make any woman run to her BFF and lick her wounds. But when said BFF is sharing her own apartment with her own significant other, she needed to find her own place quickly. Sadly, a grad student just can't afford what's available in the always expensive rental hell of NYC. Wha ...more
Dawn Herring
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love the premise of this book, and the quotes from Shakespeare that open each chapter are delightful. The book is well written in terms of being free of distracting grammatical errors or plot holes. Nonetheless, I had trouble staying focused on the story as it played out. I didn't feel much connection to the characters, and some things seemed a bit ridiculous to me (e.g., Gabe's sister). Maybe it's because I felt like the blurb was a bit misleading (I didn't think the description of Kate was s ...more
Zetti
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Searching for Billy Shakespeare by Crista McHugh

I like romantic stories and this story about a graduate student who is an introvert and very shy who falls in love with a Hollywood celebrity. I can’t lie it took me a lot longer to get into this book because the plot did not wow me as much as I wanted it to wow me. I was actually left feeling pretty disappointed and let down.

I like the fact that the author includes quotes and the background of the story matches the feel of the story but I just did
Sam
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating or review in any way.

This book connected with the Kelly Brothers series!!!!!!!!! We got references to Ethan and actually got to see Gideon and Sage/Sarah. I was not expecting it and it made me so happy. Plus I really enjoyed that Kate was a scholar of William Shakespeare, and as someone who holds a B.A. in Literature, I related to her so much. The reason I marked this down is because it
Nikki Young
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate’s working on her doctorate using William Shakespeare as her thesis. Her life isn’t anything exciting with her boyfriend and work, but that’s life, right? Until she finds out her live in boyfriend is cheating on her and she needs a new place to live. Her new roommate’s brother, Gabe, is wonderful sounding over the phone but will he be the same in person? Gabe needs Kate’s help when he’s trying out for a serious role in a William Shakespeare play. Kate gives Gabe some help but she also makes ...more
Sandra Caetano
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the author and was so happy. Crista as usual gave us another amazing book, that I really hope will have a second book added. we also got to visit Gideon and Sara from the Kelly Brothers series. I was sad to see the book end. This series focuses around Kate, a grad student who falls in love with her roommates brother, who is a movie star. Kate helps him prepare for an audition for a Shakespeare role. When they meet, the sparks fly. This is such a sweet love story. A must ...more
Paula
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Searching for Billy Shakespeare is a cute story by Crista McHugh. Mistaken identity and a woman with a lack of self-confidence gives this love story a bumpy ride. However, love does prevail with a smile on this reader’s face. This is a tongue-in-cheek, fun, quick paced story with a shout out to the Bard himself.

A few of the Kelly Brothers make an appearance, too. If you’re a fan of that series, (my all-time favorite series by Crista McHugh), it made the story even better!

An ARC of the book was g
Sally Coles
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Kate catches her boyfriend cheating on her she has to move and find a new place to live, with the help of her friend Lizzie she finds a flat share and swears off men apart from her hero William Shakespeare who she is doing her dissertation on! That is of course until her flat mate's brother rings her wanting some help with a Shakespeare part he is playing...... and if she falls in love with his voice on the phone wait till she meets him in the flesh!

A lovely feel good book, predictable but
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Melinda M
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Searching for Billy Shakespeare by Crista McHugh is an interesting romantic comedy about a dead poet, a Hollywood celebrity and a female graduate student working on a PH.D in English. It is keeps you interested in the story. I enjoyed the fact that Shakespeare was used in the story. Crista McHugh does a wonderful job of weaving a story that makes sense today but also makes Shakespeare interesting.

I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
Kristy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chick lit, first person single POV. Reminiscent of books I used to read many years ago. I tend to stick with contemporary romance nowadays, but I had fun with this book for a change of pace. Quick read. Kate was awesome, the stereotypical nerdy phD student. Once she steps out of her comfort zone and realizes that Gabe will stick with her, despite her klutzi- and normalness, she gets the guy!
Susan Underbrink
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

A big thank you to NetGalley for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. First time reading this author. I loved the book! I rate it a 4.5. I was pleasantly surprised that I read it in one sitting. It is an interesting twist, the characters were fun and intriguing. I think most romance readers will enjoy this book. It has a little of everything! Let me know if you agree.
Sherry Christenson
I really enjoyed this book. I’m not a Shakespeare’s fan but the book was interesting enough that it didn’t matter. I loved Kate and her nerdyness, thought Gabe was perfect before I even knew who he was. I loved the friendship of Livvy and Livvys commitment to Alisha. And of course I thought Stan was perfect. Great characters, real life for a Columbia Student. Great story
Sarah Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun, light-hearted read about a student seeking her PhD, finding self-confidence and embracing new opportunities and experiences. It had fun allusions to Shakespeare and loveable characters who had you cheering for them.

I received a digital ARC of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for my review.
Melinda Crumblin
Sadly this book was a disappointment. There seemed to be huge chunks of the whole story missed, there wasn’t much that was very likeable about the main character. Characters seemed to just disappear from the story without much thought. I am a big fan of this author’s Queen B series so this was s huge let down.
Jaymie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun romance. This is really a transformation story about Kate as she works through the breakup with her fiancé and then slowly starts to course correct her own life. I enjoyed watching her find her own style and voice.
Kristen
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, a quick read with likeable characters and a unique plot. I loved getting to catch up with the Kelly's, and getting to know Kate and Gabe.

• Kissing Galileo (Dear Professor, #2)
  • Should've Been You (Man Enough, #3)
  • Summer on Moonlight Bay / Then There Was You
  • Arden (Undercover Billionaire, #2)
  • Owen (Undercover Billionaire, #3)
  • Devlin (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes, #1)
  • Sex, Lies & Lace: Sex and Lies Book 4
  • Unseen (Shaye Archer #5)
  • How the Light Gets In (Cracks Duet, #2)
  • Something Just Like This (Stay, #3.5)
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Hilariously Ever After
  • My Wildest Dream (Whisper Lake #2)
  • It Happened One Fright (Matchmaker Mysteries, #8)
  • Ship of Ghouls (Matchmaker Mysteries, #11)
  • It's A Wonderful Knife (Matchmaker Mysteries, #10)
  • The Big Kill (Matchmaker Mysteries, #9)
  • Captivating In Love (The Maverick Billionaires, #6)
Crista McHugh is a NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING author of fantasy and romance with heroines who are smart, sexy, and anything but ordinary.

She also writes fantasy with less kissing and a lot more action as C. A. McHugh.

She currently lives in the Tesla-filled suburbs of Seattle with her husband and two children, maintaining her alter ego of mild-mannered physician on the weekends.