Start by marking “One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity” as Want to Read:
One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity

One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity

A critical history of site-specific art since the late 1960s.

Site-specific art emerged in the late 1960s in reaction to the growing commodification of art and the prevailing ideals of art's autonomy and universality. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, as site-specific art intersected with land art, process art, performance art, conceptual art, installation art, institutional
Published February 27th 2004 by MIT Press (first published June 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about One Place After Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Place After Another

Start your review of One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity
Jacob Wren
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Miwon Kwon writes:

It occurred to me some time ago that for many of my art and academic friends, the success and viability of one’s work are now measured by the accumulation of frequent flyer miles. The more we travel for work, the more we are called upon to provide institutions in other parts of the country and the world with our presence and services, the more we give in to the logic of nomadism, one could say, the more we are made to feel wanted, needed, validated and relevant. Our very sense
Ansh
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read on critiques on public and community art and how it has evolved from collaborations with architects and urban designers to "sited" collaborations with local communities. Offers some really strong institutional critiques from plural perspectives on how community identity is shaped on assumptions made apriori to the project. All of this builds to one of the more effective critiques on the "postmodern condition" wrapping Bourdieu as well as Deleuze & Guattari on how identity that's a ...more
Egor Sofronov
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
If not for too verbose and lengthy critique of identity politics-community-based art of the early-to-mid 90s this book would be a gem. On the registers of polemics, theorization and historicity, Kwon is impeccable. In fact, half of the book was published almost verbatim in the journal October, Spring 1997 and all the important stuff (and engaging reading) is there.
Jesse McLean
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great history of the theory and practice of public art since the 1960's. Some people took offense at the omission of the Situationists, but I'm okay with it.
Kotryna
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The only thing I am sure of after reading this book is that I am deeply provincial when it comes to art outside museum walls; how unaware I was of the wonderful world of site-specific art inside and outside gallery walls, filling the streets, local communities, and nature with content that challenges identities, builds relationships, expands a meaning of space, and in other ways affects or is affected by the locality.

In brief, it is a great introduction to site-specific art (though in many part
Shane
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thorough analysis of the evolution of site-specific art and art as community engagement up to the early 2000s, concluding with some excellent observations on place identity and the role of an artist in a community.
Shauna Smith
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The rich history of the theory of site-specific and public artwork. Highly recommend for studying these subjects.
Ally
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was suggested to me as a primer on contemporary discussion of Public Art and though I found it informative, it certainly doesn't offer any new ideas in terms of how practice in the public sphere is changing for artists. Technology and the arts are almost wholey neglected and the book is annoyingly academic at times.
Penny
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
A good question:
"How do we account, for instance, for the sense of soaring exhilaration and the anxious dread ngendered by the new fluidities and continuities of space and time, on the one hand, and their ruptures and disconnections on the other? And what could this doubleness of experience mean in our lives?"
Virginia
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
it was terribly dry. so dry that i needed to drink a glass of water when i was done with it. it parched me, no one likes that.
the absence of christo was off-putting.
Makeba
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
eh.
Nathaniel
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arttheory
an excellent survey and theoretical analysis of site specific art.
Deb
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent coverage of key ideas and works relating to "locational identity".
Tuesday

• 300
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Character Animation Crash Course!
  • Dangerous
  • The Art of Sin City
  • Fables: Covers
  • The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Uncharted 4