Start by marking “Driven” as Want to Read:
Driven

Driven

Meet private detective James Leipfold, computer whizzkid Maile O’Hara and good-natured cop Jack Cholmondeley in the first book of the Leipfold series.

A car strikes in the middle of the night and a young actress lies dead in the road. The police force thinks it’s an accident, but Maile and Leipfold aren’t so sure.

Putting their differences aside, and brought together by a sh
Published January 27th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Driven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Driven

Start your review of Driven
Melissa Chung
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 52-in-2018
I want to thank my friend Dane Cobain for sending his book my way. I love reading and sharing fellow BookTubers books with my friends and subscribers. This one I would be in the category of cozy mystery. That might not be how Dane defines it. It was a lovely read. 4 stars for keeping me engaged. What I found the most fun about the story is, it reminded me of the 80's movie murder mystery CLUE.

This story Driven has a nice handful of characters that may or may not be the murderer. The story start
Tim Fitzpatrick
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tim by: Jelli
It was hard to decide on whether to give this 3 stars or 4 - I usually end up rounding up to 4 when I'm thinking 3.5, but looking over what I've given 4 stars to before, I think 3 is closer. As the hover text says, "I liked it" comes closer than "I really liked it" for me.

Pros:
Good plot - the crimes involved kept my interest

Good characters - I liked all the main characters. It reminded me of the Cormoran Strike characters a lot

The mystery - twists, turns, and misdirection, kept me guessing ab
Todd Wittenmyer
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this 4.5 stars! I like a murder mystery that I can't figure out! I also liked the contrast between the two main characters, James Leipfold and Maile O'Hara!
Jelli
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
If you like cozy mysteries but are tired of little old ladies and 30 something divorced bakers solving crimes then this cozy detective story might be just the thing you have been waiting for. James Leipfold is a throw back to the old school noir hard boiled detectives but without the sexist mindset of that era. His assistant is a modern young woman with punk style and who knows her way around a computer, much like Lisbet Salander (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) but without the dysfunction. The ...more
Mary-Ann Maronski
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
A fast-paced and fun to read mystery!

This was a fast-paced and fun to read detective story. The main characters of the detective and his assistant were very likeable and worked well together. The plot was engaging and I enjoyed puzzling out the mystery till the very end. I look forward to more books in this series.
Anthony Andrews
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, I would like to thank Dane for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. I like the writing style. I would be very interested to read more of Dane and can't wait to see where he goes with these characters in the Leipfold series.
Angie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in until the end. Once picked up it was hard to put down. Many twists in the story. Brilliant characters and written well. I am pleased to note that this is the first in a series. Cannot wait for the second one. Definitely one to read. I recommend it highly
Allen
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
It took me a few chapters but I ended up very much enjoying this crime fiction mystery. I look forward to the next in the series. See my review on YouTube:

Lynn Brown
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've followed Dane Cobain through social media for some time and so when he quit his day job to become a full time writer I was intrigued what his books would be like. I've had this book on my personal tbr list for some time and am so glad I finally got around to reading it.

It really was a cracking read. I loved the characters, especially Maile with her bang up to date internet sleuthing skills. In fact the book was full of great tech references even down to the killer car. Once I started to rea
Charles
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A detective story using themes and motifs from the Golden Age of crime, this book is a modern day interpretation of the locked room mystery. Driven's mystery is that of a woman killed by a driverless car - many have designs against her and it is up to private detective James Leipfold and his assistant Maile O'Hara to discover just who the murderer is.
This book reminded me of a few of my favourite crime series - there are hints of Poirot and Paul Temple - and I think that if you're a fan of the
Mindy'sBookJourney
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A modern mystery

This was a unique premise fit into a classic PI/ Police Procedural mystery. The characters were very likeable and well fleshed out. Imagine a self driving car as a murder weapon. I loved it!
Haley Ryan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first chapter pulls you straight in with the death of Donna Thompson and from there you get introduced, one by one, to the three main characters. Driven is very well written and in a way you are following a few different story lines which all happen to interlink at times so you are encouraged to keep reading and if you are anything like me you will be desperate to find out what happens next in the crazy world of Driven.

The author keeps you guessing with regards to the number of suspects but
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Driven is the first book I've read by Dane Cobain, and as a good friend of mine I have no choice but to be critical.
In total I honestly found 1 editing mistake, which is pretty good as I have read some indie books with many more! And even J K Rowling had editing mistakes. (It has been noted to correct in future copies).
Now to get onto the story...
Driven is a detective novel involving private investigator James Leipfold, and a nerdy computer geek Maile. We also have the police force lead by det
Emma Rosen
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by the author as part of an exchange of 2 of my books for 2 of his, Thank you!

So Driven starts with an actress being killed in what appears to be a hit and run incident. Police detective Cholmondeley starts his investigations, as does PI Liepfold along with his newly hired employee Maille. Cholmondely and Liepfold end up helping each other through the twisty investigation, with Maille being the key mind to solve the mysteries of the crime (which at first is assumed to be an
Clive Whitelock
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Punkette computer-brain drops in on grizzled ex-army misery and they embark on their first case together. A fine page-turner ensues full of murder, mayhem and other things beginning with M. There's a fine conventional detective involved too whose name is pronounced Chumley. I look forward to the follow-ups.
Claire Wright
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A really interesting premise however it took me a while to warm to the major characters and a few elements of the plot seemed a tad far fetched. However I loved the classic Agatha Christie-esque gathering of all the suspects in one room while Leipfold shone as a modern day Poirot. I think we will see Dane grow in confidence with the next book in the series.
Emma Rosen

• Court Number One: The Old Bailey Trials that Defined Modern Britain
  • Beneath the Streets
  • Sherlock Holmes & the Christmas Demon
  • The Cows
  • I Survived: I had a loving husband. Then he tried to kill me. A true story.
  • Born to be Mild
  • The Gangbuster
  • Milk: A Story of Breastfeeding in a Society That's Forgotten How
  • Moranthology
  • Forewarned: A Woman at War ... with the Military
Dane Cobain (High Wycombe, UK) is a published author, freelance writer, poet and (occasional) musician with a passion for language and learning. When he’s not working on his next release, he can be found reading and reviewing books for his award-winning book blog, SocialBookshelves.com, while trying not to be distracted by Wikipedia. His releases include No Rest for the Wicked(supernatural thrille ...more

News & Interviews