Start by marking “Two Thousand Seasons” as Want to Read:
Two Thousand Seasons

Two Thousand Seasons

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  293 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Trans Atlantic and African slave trades are the subject of Armah's Two Thousand Seasons (1973) in which a pluralized communal voice speaks through the history of Africa, its wet and dry seasons, from a period of one thousand years. Arab and European oppressors are portrayed as "predators," "destroyers," and "zombies". The novel is written in allegorical tone, and shifts fr ...more
Published June 1st 1980 by Third World Press (first published September 24th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Two Thousand Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Thousand Seasons

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonBeloved by Toni MorrisonKindred by Octavia E. ButlerRoots by Alex Haley
Best Black Historical Fiction
241 books — 214 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieChasing the Devil by Tim Butcher
Africa
1,324 books — 1,399 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book not long after returning from living in West Africa. It's not the easiest read because it is written more in the oral tradition and aims to cover a history of the continent of Africa in a bout 200 pages. It's not a history book full of dates, it's a novel that expresses rage at the exploitation of the continent by invaders (Arabs followed by Whites) with the active participation of Blacks.

I read the book a number of times and lent it to someone who then lost it. So I no longer h
Lisa Reads & Reviews
A challenging read, but worth the effort. Very unique in voice and content, I feel I only skimmed the surface. Worth reading again.
Reyhaneh
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible story that takes place during the African Slave Trade. It is written from the perspective of the Africans...a perspective that is so rarely heard or considered. The whole novel is written very poetically and heartbreakingly vivid. The author paints a very candid image of what the Africans were going through each and every moment of their existence, and he doesn't hold back any details. The book is one of its kind, incredibly eye opening, and really makes you feel the "other ...more
Ty G
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-reads
This book is the key to liberation of Science and History liberation of math and liberation of mechanical time. After studying intensely the subject of white people and their nature of destruction I've come to a sound conclusions this book was a great deal of help to think outside of European concepts. This is a must
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
Two Thousand Seasons is one of my favourite novels. Admittedly, the first few pages aren't easy to penetrate but when done, the novel provides the reader with a lot to think about. It shows how the continent was gradually colonised by both the Arabs and the Europeans and the African's complicity in his enslavement. One will find the Ostentatious Cripples, the Askaris and more...

Thanks
Sistar Kenyasue
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Amazing beautifully written and it touched me deeply.The start of my journey of knowing myself,my history and world developments.Portraying the warrior spirit of collective responsibility and survival,for Afrikan nations history interupted by invaders.The position of women in matriarchial structures displells the myth that women are unequal to men,In Afrikan societies as false.
Shila
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most important books I will ever read. It has become my 2nd favorite. I am looking forward to reading the full body of work of Ayi Kwei Armah. This should be required reading for children 13 and up.
Johnbedward
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
A seminal work of historical fiction. Armah creates believable characters who are in the midst of changing cultural and political landscape created by the slave trade and internal leadership decline. The main characters are young, energetic and determined to help heal a people who are at risk of being permanently marginalized.
Lydia
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of all time, somewhere between prophecy and historical fiction, it cannot truly be genre-cized. And that's kind of the theme of the whole book: "the way," liberation, truth (all of which are really the same thing) mean a recognition of our cyclical nature, our non-linear humanity that doesn't allow us to fit into just one mold forever and ever amen.
Remy
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Truth can be very hurtfull!
Yejide
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
lifechanging.
Christian Hayden
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a jarring, poetic exploration of the cultural/existential/philosophical impact that outsiders have had on the continent and peoples of Sub-saharan Africa. It is a folk tale of the and for the diaspora. A critique of patriarchy, capitalism, and racism can all be found here. If you are looking for words or ideas that can deepen your exploration of what it means to be a part of, and reconnect the peoples of a diaspora- this is your book. It might even provide a path to "the Way."
Justin
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Any way different from the predatory conquerors' road was to them diseased, unholy, dangerous. We with our way were all condemned, our very color turned into the predators' name for evil."
Thomas
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african
probably the coolest bit in this book is when he gives a list of hereditary kings and tells us how bad and stupid they were, like 'this king was a sodomite', 'this king was a crippled imbecile' etc, it's cool. also the parts where he says christianity and islam are religions for slaves.
Sananaa
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sooooo worthwhile. Now this one made me look at the Western fascination with suicide differently. It is written somewhat poetically. There's a lot of symbolism and room for interpretation, but I got a LOT out of it.
Anna
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read this for a college course, talks about how Africa submitted/allowed Arab and White colonialists to enter the continent. Would have given it 5 stars but for a scene near the beginning that I could have done without reading.
Carmela
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book right now. It starts off sort of slow, but it has such a valuable leason to teach about give and take in life. This book talks about the lessons of balance in community. Very important book to help understand the best ways to live your life.
Maame Prempeh
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It has taken me very long to read this book. so deep, it is a book that I believe should be in eveey black person's home, especially Ghanaians. I love Ayi Kwei Armah, master of criticism and analytical thinking, he writes to give you nightmares.
Rebecca
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A deeply challenging book on my levels, to fully understand and comprehend. Clear language that somehow requires each sentence be read slowly and carefully in order to comprehend the depth of thought and knowledge in Armah's perspective.
Khixaan
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing!!! it is a very detailed account of what happened to the stolen Afrikans brought to america to be enslaved. it is the literary equivalent to the movie Sankofa. a MUST read for Afrikans everywhere!!!
Lloyd Fassett
Nov 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
11/1/15 found it in a list of books and authors that Gloria Steinem likes published in the Sunday NYTs Book Review

Gloria Steinem: By the Book http://nyti.ms/1LDVCOO
Fishface
This was hard for me to put down. One of those books that you hate to see end. Describes how an African tribe fought back against genocidal white invaders.
Val
Jan 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: world-extra
Ghana
Tswarelo
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
Recommended to Tswarelo by: Blak Phar i
Beautiful. just what has been missing in our learning as a people and what is necessary from now and beyond since such knowledge already exists
A. B. Eugene
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully written, should be thoughtfully read.
Baraka360
Amazing book... will read periodically again & again for the rest of my life...
Erwin Thomas
Anything by Armah is magical and spirit redefining. i...know i'm easily but read it and tell me if I'm wrong.
Tara Betts
Aug 04, 2007 marked it as to-read
I need to reread this because I think I didn't really understand it at the time. Beautiful prose.
Haroun
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Good style and well-written.
Ray Winbush
May 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • AMA
  • Indaba My Children
  • Yurugu: An African-centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior
  • When Rain Clouds Gather
  • In My Father's House: Africa in the Philosophy of Culture
  • A Grain of Wheat
  • Sundiata:  An Epic of Old Mali
  • Search Sweet Country
Born to Fante-speaking parents, with his father's side Armah descending from a royal family in the Ga tribe in the port city of Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana, [1] Armah, having attended the renowned Achimota School, left Ghana in 1959 to attend Groton School in Groton, MA. After graduating, he entered Harvard University, receiving a degree in sociology. Armah then moved to Algeria and worked as a transl ...more
More about Ayi Kwei Armah...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“She spoke of those needing the white destroyers' shiny things to bring a feeling of worth into their lives, uttered their deep-rooted inferiority of soul, and called them lacking in the essence of humanity: womanhood in women, manhood in men. For which deficiency they must crave things to eke out their beings, things to fill holes in their spirits.” 5 likes