Start by marking “Circe” as Want to Read:
Circe

Circe

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  50,534 Ratings  ·  8,102 Reviews
In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe has neither the look nor the voice of divinity, and is scorned and rejected by her kin. Increasingly isolated, she turns to mortals for companionship, leading her to discover a power forbidden to the gods: witchcraft.

When love drives Circe to cast a dark spell, wrathful Zeus b
Paperback, ARC, 333 pages
Published December 2017 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Circe, please sign up.
Judy Lindow
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mian technically all greek myth stories are interconnected but you can read this without having read SoA, kinda like how you can watch thor ragnarok…moretechnically all greek myth stories are interconnected but you can read this without having read SoA, kinda like how you can watch thor ragnarok without having seen iron man 3. (less)

Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

✨ Signed and personalized copies are available through Main Point Books! (They can ship anywhere in the US, anywhere in the UK, and also to some other international locations)

“When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist.”

This is the pièce de résistance I’ve been searching for my entire life. Not only did I fall in love with this story, I predict that this will be the best book I’ll read all year. This boo
Emily May
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Witches are not so delicate,” I said.

I absolutely loved this. If you enjoy Greek mythology, complex heroines, and a generous serving of adventure, bloodshed, betrayal, magic, and monsters - both literal and figurative - then hell, READ THIS BOOK.

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Miller's The Song of Achilles when I read it a few years back. I'm not sure if that's because my tastes were different back then, or if it was just because the plot had more of a romantic focus than Circe. But, wha
Em (RunawayWithDreamthieves)
Do you ever just get mad because you’re spending your life paying rent and wishing you could take a break from the linear flow of time when you could have been a goddess living in an enchanted island that is only seen every ten years and is unreachable by men? You live with ancient queens of myth and you're so much a part of each other it was like a second soul inside your skin. You sing hymns, burn incenses, and make fragrant oils. You call birds to sing at your windows, fall asleep in patches ...more
Ana
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
Hello, my name is Ana and I am a Greek mythology addict.

dcf5a9008a4f92d12fc7aa94a30901f6--funny-things-funny-stuff

A brief introduction to the deities of Greek mythology.

Zeus (Thunder God, king of the Gods)
Hera (Queen of Olympus, Goddess of marriage)
Demeter (Goddess of the harvest, agriculture and fertility)
Poseidon (God of the Sea)
Hestia (Virgin goddess of the hearth)
Hades (God of the Underworld, riches, king of the dead)
Persephone/Kora (Goddess of Spring, Queen of the Underworld)
Athena (Virgin Goddess of wisdom, craft, and war; companion of her
Elise (TheBookishActress)
You threw me to the crows, but it turns out I prefer them to you.

My words are not as good as the ones in this book. Circe is a book about... finding yourself. But god, it stands out so far from just that.

Okay, to get started, I’m just going to say it: Madeline Miller is one of the best writers of our time. She has such a way with words that it is absolutely impossible not to be engaged in her storytelling.

The thing that brings this whole novel together is Circe’s character. She is a wo
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist.

Where do I even begin? This was one of the most amazing, beautiful, intricate, captivating books I have had the pleasure of reading in my entire life. I have been a bookworm since I was barely walking, and yet this book, this gorgeous retelling, has impacted me so profoundly that I genuinely do not know if I will ever be entirely the same.

It is a common saying that women are delicate creatures—flowers, eggs, anything that may be crushed
Will Byrnes
Men, can’t live with ‘em, can’t turn ‘em all into swine.

What do you mean turn them into swine? From her earliest application of her new found transformative skills it is suggested that what Circe turns her unfortunate guests into has more to do with their innermost nature than Circe’s selection of a target form. (The strength of those flowers lay in their sap, which could transform any creature to its truest self.) Clearly her sty residents had an oinky predisposition. And I am sure that there
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
If you like mythology, you need to read this book!

Personally it's not even something I'm a fan of but I couldn't put this... audiobook down. The narrator did a great job and her voice was quite relaxing. I ended up finishing the book in 3 days and taking detour on my walks just to be able to listen to it more!

Would recommend.

Now I need to go finish The Song of Achilles...
Bookdragon Sean
This is a beautiful book; it is flawless and intelligent. I do not have a single criticism for this fantastic piece of writing. I loved it!

Circe chronicles the life of a lesser god. She is the daughter of the mighty God Helios, the living embodiment of the sun. She is born without any particular talents or powers. She exists in the shadows of her more developed brothers and sisters. She does not shine in such spectacular company.

However, gifts come in many different forms and those with hidden
Jeffrey Keeten
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek, myth
”It was true what Hermes said. Every moment mortals died, by shipwreck and sword, by wild beasts and wild men, by illness, neglect, and age. It was their fate, as Prometheus had told me, the story that they all shared. No matter how vivid they were in life, no matter how brilliant, no matter the wonders they made, they came to dust and smoke. Meanwhile every petty and useless god would go on sucking down the bright air until the stars went dark.”

photo Prometheus_Adam_Louvre_zpslp4dgqgt.jpg
Sculpture by Nicolas-Sébastien Adam in the Louvre
Navidad Thelamour

Madeline Miller’s Circe is an epic that’s sweeping the nation today. Everywhere you turn, you see that magnificent cover (honestly, that cover work is DIVINE and I’ve had the MOST fun photographing it for the Bookstagram). Twitter and Instagram are as we speak packed with Circe references and Miller interviews and, within all of that, Circe has found itself wrapped in all of the fluff and buildup and publicity of a typical ultra-hyped, big-named publisher release. Let’s be serious—mos
chandler ainsley ❁
for $27 this book better clear my skin, water my crops, and eliminate all the stress i have ever had

buddy read with yusra!

Bibi
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Spoilers*

How I wish Miller's Circe was a reimagining as opposed to a retelling
and I say this because there's little else that can be told about Greek mythology that isn't readily available online or at the library.

A reinterpretation, on the other hand, gives an author creative license to weave a uniquely extravagant and fantastical story ( Now I Rise did it perfectly) and perhaps one in which a lowly nymph attains great powers, transforms into a formidable sorceress who then proceeds to defy
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought this book was fantastic!

I felt sorry for Circe. But I did love reading about all of the gods and just the story line itself!

This was the first book I have read by this author and it was a pleasant surprise.

And that's all I have, there is no point in writing big reviews. You can read all of the book bumpers that have a million likes that write long reviews. I just can't do it any more.

Happy Reading!

Mel
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Rating: 4.5 stars
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest |

WHEN I WAS BORN, the name for what I was did not exist.

I was waiting for two whole months to get this book from the library. And I finally had a chance to read Circe from Madeline Miller. A book that everyone was talking about. The only thing you were gonna see on Instagram. Well, here I am – sitting with the cool kids now, I have read this book.

The reason I wanted to read this book wasn’t because I wanted to be part of the cool kids
Lola
I have been savouring this book for the past seven days. If I have not been active on here – at all, really – it’s because I started my second year of university and also because I didn’t want to be reading anything other than CIRCE (and my textbooks, ugh).

I thought THE SONG OF ACHILLES was amazing, but it’s nothing compared to this story. In both cases, you do not have to be familiar with the Greek gods and goddesses or mythology in general. I only had a basic understanding of it, and yet the a
emma
It is with immense regret and massive trepidation that I must say...

I don't really get the hype.

review to come:(

----------
currently-reading updates

me: ok time to write an essay!

this traitor book: or - and here me out on this one - you could not do that and read instead

me: hm...compelling
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
8 April 2018
Oh, Gosh! I want it now! Can't wait for the publication! I expect it to be 5 stars... So, forgive me for prerating it already. It's like earmarking a favourite page...
Remember, I'm a sucker for all things Ancient Greece. Classical mythos are my blood, my marrow... I grew up on them. Circe was never my fav, I felt she was a villain, a malicious sorceress for her part in Odyssey... Let's see if this book helps me get a different perception on this legendary gal.

15 April 2018
So... This
jessica
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in the house of miller, goddess of written word and mightiest of storytellers, a masterpiece was born.

again, i am blown away at the beauty that is madeline millers writing. her words have a way of invoking a sense of delicate peace in my heart. i read her stories and it fills that longing for something more. circe was an absolute delight from start to finish, and i cant express the extent of my gratitude for something so breathtakingly compelling to have been created and shared with the world.
Debra
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Such a great book! You do not need to be a fan of mythology to read this book! Confession - I requested this book because I saw it on a list about "anticipated books of 2018” It did not disappoint. If anything this book dazzled! Anticipate this book folks and rush out and get yourself a copy when it becomes available (or request it on NetGalley as I did!).

Circe is the daughter of Helios, the god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans. Her mother, Perse, an Oceanid naiad is beautiful and
Anne

I would love to say that I appreciate the way the author reimagined this character from the The Odyssey and...whatever else she was in, but the truth is this:
Everything I know about Circe comes from reading comics.

description

So, yeah. I'd some vague recollection that she did something, at some point, somewhere in Greek literature. Ish.
Mostly, though, I've always thought of her as a character who was out to get Wonder Woman.
I'm admitting to that so that you know right off the bat that you're not d
Lucy Langford
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"A golden cage is still a cage." Just reread this before having to surrender it back to the library!!

5* Circe was brilliant! Daughter of Helios (God of the sun), is Circe. She is often scorned and rejected by her kin for not having the look nor the voice of her siblings and other nymphs.

To look for companionship she turns to mortals and through this she discovers her power: Witchcraft. When she casts a dark spell and admits to her power, she is banished by Zeus and is exiled to the island of A
Simona Bartolotta
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
I dived into Circe believing to be fully prepared for it, all because I had read and re-read, loved and re-loved The Song Achilles. Now I know that was a foolish notion for me to entertain.

“It was my first lesson. Beneath the smooth, familiar face of things is another that waits to tear the world in two.”

In fact, I soon learned the hard way that no matter how well you think you know her and her writing, you are never prepared for what Madeline Miller's pen is going to deliver. This because the k
Arah-Lynda
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.
Rudyard Kipling

When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist. They called me nymph, assuming I would be like my mother and aunts and cousins. Least of the lesser goddesses, our powers were so modest they could scarcely ensure our eternities. We spoke to fish and nurtured flowers, coaxed drops from the clouds or salt from the waves. That word, nymph, paced out the length and breadth of our futures. In our language, it means no
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. An epic retelling of the life and times of the minor Greek goddess Circe, she who is famed for turning Odysseus’s men and other hapless sailors into swine (as it turns out, she had good reasons). Circe is despised and bullied by stronger members of her family, and eventually - and rather unfairly - exiled to the island of Aiaia for dabbling in pharmaka, a forbidden type of magic using herbs and other plants. Apparently it's fine with the gods if you can do magic by a wave of your hand ...more
Tammy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Whoo hoo witchy woman she got the moon in her eye” - Don Henley

As a child I was enchanted by D’Aularies’ Book of Greek Myths and later by Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. I enjoyed Miller’s Song of Achilles and was eager to read Circe. Monsters, gods and goddesses, nymphs and naiads all make appearances and once again I was enchanted. Having read The Odyssey and The Iliad will increase your enjoyment but it isn’t necessary and you may be inspired to read these classic works.

Minor goddess, daughter o
JanB
4.5 stars, rounded up

Beautifully written, exciting, and totally captivating!

“Epic has been so traditionally male,” Miller says. “All these stories are composed by men, largely starring men, and I really wanted a female perspective.”

And what a story it is. My first buddy read with my friend Dana was a great success and we had wonderful discussions.

The plot revolves around Circe in this book and the story is told entirely from her perspective. Born without the beauty and charm of her mother, nor
❄️Nani❄️
4.5⭐

This book is glorious. Absolutely magnificent.
Final Round
3,816,782 Votes Cast
Madeline Miller was born in Boston and grew up in New York City and Philadelphia. She attended Brown University, where she earned her BA and MA in Classics. For the last ten years she has been teaching and tutoring Latin, Greek and Shakespeare to high school students. She has also studied at the University of Chicago’s Committee on Social Thought, and in the Dramaturgy department at Yale School of ...more
“But in a solitary life, there are rare moments when another soul dips near yours, as stars once a year brush the earth. Such a constellation was he to me.” 298 likes
“He showed me his scars, and in return he let me pretend that I had none.” 130 likes