Start by marking “If the Buddha Came to Dinner: How to Nourish Your Body to Awaken Your Spirit” as Want to Read:
If the Buddha Came to Dinner: How to Nourish Your Body to Awaken Your Spirit

If the Buddha Came to Dinner: How to Nourish Your Body to Awaken Your Spirit

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  184 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
If the Buddha came to dinner at your home, what would you serve? Fast food? A frozen meal quickly reheated in the microwave? Chances are you'd feed your honored guest a delicious meal prepared with love and care. But the next time you have dinner, what will you eat?

With so much processed food in the marketplace, obesity in adults and children dramatically on the rise, and
320 pages
Published March 17th 2004 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about If the Buddha Came to Dinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Buddha Came to Dinner

Jan 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
If you need some pep talk for your soul, this book might do the trick. However, its main point, actual FOOD nourishment guidelines for your soul, was a bit extreme for me. I am not interested in testing her postulation that grains combined with proteins/fats are the hardest combination to digest and should therefore be avoided! I am not interested in cleansing myself by eating only veggies and fruits for a week. However, I will give her this: she is right to emphasize the need to listen to your ...more
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Really teaches you about the connection of food and body.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. This is my send time reading this and now I'm doing the 21 day food cleanse which is going okay. I can't wait for week two and three lolz.
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book describes a dietary cleanse, the goal of which is to purify the body and spirit. I have not actually done the cleanse, so this review should be taken with a grain of salt for now.

I wish I'd skipped the first chapter. The point is to describe why the cleanse is a good thing that people should do. I do not need this motivation - I already think cleanses are good. The language in this book is also very floofy. I'll look up a random sentence now: "When you're aligned with your spirit, your
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I already knew alot of the stuff in this book, so i skimmed over some of it and then read some chapters.
I reall liked that it was written from her own experiences (she works in the nutrition field) and I love that she wants you to listen to your body. Not everything works for everyone and all of our bodies change over time. Also she talks about NOT DIETING. She approaches it from the perspective of feeding your body AND mind.
Also there are recipes at the end, although I dont see myself making t
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I really love the idea of this book - mindfulness and nutrition. Unfortunately, there was just enough new-agey psychobabble and testimonials to get on my nerves. There was some good information in it about healthy food and food combinations (remarkably similar to some ayurvedic principles - unattributed) and the cleansing instructions seemed sane, including healthy foods and flexibility. The recipes didn't look too bad either.
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book but I was hoping for a slightly more scientific study based analysis of processed foods and what they are doing to the body. This book has a much more spiritual focus on nourishment and what that actually means for a person as whole, not just nutritionally. I may still try the cleanse to see how it makes me feel. Overall a little too new age spiritualism for my taste, but if that's what you are looking for it's a great book.
Bea Elwood
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
It started out so good with the whole nourishing verses consuming, and again I want to eat locally, buy seasonally blah blah and this book is seven years old but she spends half the text repeating herself and a good half of the book talking about cleansing - yknow extreem fasting, I don't care how else you lable it but its not for me. I just wnat to learn how to feed myself for the next 100 years...
Jun 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2011
This is a nice primer on mindful eating with a cleanse I've been dying to try, but I'm going to wait until I wean the baby (don't need all of those toxins coming out in the breast milk). The cleanse recipes are all eastern and Mediterranean in origin, and though I'm not big on Asian food, there is plenty here that appeals to me.
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodtheory
I'm giving this four stars because it's the only book I've picked up so far that deals with food and spirituality. it's not kooky, although a big part of the book is about fasting. Fasting, to be honest, freaks me out but this book advocates eating just veggies for a week or so.

Lots of neat ideas, I need to re-read. there are also recipes that I've yet to look over.
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Transformational Nourishment...Eating vs. Feeding, Who are you Feeding? If the Buddah came to dinner at your home, what would you serve?...Chances are you'd feed your honored guest a delicious meal prepared with love and care. But the next time you have dinner, what will you eat? This is a really great book.
Rebecca Thompson
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summerof07
this book is about nourishment - in every sense of the word. I learned about my relationship with food and the impact my life has had on my ability to nourish myself with awareness, openness and life-giving care.
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A spiritual journey into the concept of 'nourishment'. It's an opportunity to change the way that we perceive the food that we fix and learn how to build health from the most simple of practices. This is one that I will definitely buy for my bookshelf. AND recipes are included! YUM!
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Interesting comments on nourishment and different ways of determining what nourishes you. A very easy read and written in a way that gently introduces you to the concept of nourishment (vs. dieting).
Jun 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was very interesting and I think I will enjoy the recipes in the back of the book. I'm not sure if I completely buy all of this spiritual nourishment stuff, but I think that she has an interesting approach to eating. I look forward to experimenting with her suggestions.
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in embracing a Pollan-esque plant heavy diet
Recommended to Margaret by: My Sister
I found many of her ideas interesting (and others less so). She offers new perspectives on eating that I found useful in considering my own relation to food. I think most people would walk away from this book with a few useful thoughts. There are also some tasty recipes in the back.
Lee-ann Dyke
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book places emphasis on caring for yourself. A good message! There a few times I thought ideas were explained for too long. But the underlying point was always very true. A good cleanse plan and great recipes.
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lida by: Yunah
This book could use a bit of editing but the message and recipes are great.
Jul 15, 2009 is currently reading it
Gaining a better understanding of our relationship and food. Very very interesting.
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It was good. As long as I come away with something @ finish the book it's good.
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite cleanse book. The only one that makes sense.
Apr 06, 2008 is currently reading it
i'm loving this book so far... more when i'm done.
Tami Lowe Whiting
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I agree with her on almost everything. I may use just a few word replacements, but I may just have to buy my own copy and highlight half of it.
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-stuff
This book will teach you how to treat yourself right. And in essence, know yourself (through your desires and needs). I only lament that my breath smells like tea more than anything else now.
Mar 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone into simple food... anyone!
Made me think about how vital foods are in having a balanced life. how we fuel are bodies is a reflection of how we nourish ourselves. goooooooood book.
Berry Octaviansyah
love the knowledge.. soo.. rich..
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
There is a right time in everyone's life to read this book.
Sep 25, 2007 added it
how to nourish myself more fully
Katie Aschero
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
loving this book so far and I've only read the intro so far!
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine
  • Almost Vegetarian: A Primer for Cooks Who Are Eating Vegetarian Most of the Time, Chicken & Fish Some of the Time, & Altogether Well All of the Time
  • The Savory Way
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to Eat Right 4 Your Type
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • The Alcoholism & Addiction Cure: A Holistic Approach to Total Recovery
  • Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way
  • Tassajara Cooking
Halé Sofia Schatz, nourishment educator and consultant, has focused on cultivating the essential correlation between nourishment, health, and spiritual awareness since 1975. With a degree in psychology and training in both Eastern and Western approaches to health, nutrition, and well-being, Hale Sofia Schatz Halé offers a multi-disciplinary perspective that respects the individual’s unique needs. ...more
More about Hale Sofia Schatz...

Nonfiction Deals