Start by marking “Do Me, Do My Roots” as Want to Read:
Do Me, Do My Roots

Do Me, Do My Roots

It's about healing.
After a couple of rough years, Emily is finally getting things back together. She doesn't need to re-do everything at work three times, her young daughter's soccer uniform is almost always clean the day of a game, and meals are pretty darn reliable, too. But hey, becoming a widow at thirty-three kind of knocks the starch out of you.
It's about family.
Published April 6th 2004 by Gallery Books (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Do Me, Do My Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Me, Do My Roots

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor EstesNaked by David SedarisForever in Blue by Ann BrasharesLiving Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott
Clothing on the Cover
100 books — 17 voters
The Hot Flash Club Strikes Again by Nancy ThayerBarefoot by Elin HilderbrandDo Me, Do My Roots by Eileen RendahlGeorge & Hilly by George GurleyThe Spa by Fay Weldon
Towels
12 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy Hiester
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do Me, Do My Roots is about Emily who is a young widow, and mother to a seven year daughter, who is clinging to her daughter, her parents, her husband's best friend who's suddenly romantically interested in her, and her sisters. There is a definite play on words in the title. The “Root” mean not only her relatives but also the primary female characters meet to touch up their roots each month, the sisters perform standard beauty shop fair as they agonize over their love lives or lack there of. Th ...more
Betsy Fasbinder
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is unashamedly Chick Lit and I rate it as compared to others in its genre. This is a story of sisters and girlfriends sharing their lives, their dreams, and their worries in ways that likely seems foreign to most guys but will ring true for many women readers. But Eileen Rendahl gives us more than a fluffy girly story here. She brings a special skill, a special heart to the writing that makes this women's story more real and more substantive than the Chick Lit genre often allows. Sure, ...more
Angela
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice easy read with loud characters. The book is typical chick lit but at the same time much more family oriented with the main character's siblings then found in a lot of books of this genre. The ending seemed to come up with no real warning, I had to go back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page or two (I hadn't), and that's my only real complaint about this book.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who think Oprah's book club is FANTASTIC!!!
K
Mar 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: VERY forgiving fans of midlife chick-lit
Recommended to K by: Feige from the gym, who lent it to me
Shelves: couldntfinish
With all due respect to Feige, this book was crap. It had all the hallmarks of chick lit (flat characters, predictability, cliches) and failed to transcend the genre by actually being enjoyable to read. It was cutesy and forced, really trying too hard. The blurb gave away the one incident in the book that had the potential to actually be funny, and I wasn't motivated to read far enough to actually reach this incident because I knew what was going to happen, and the writing really wasn't grabbing ...more
Samantha Julmisse
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious story of family, friends, sickness, health, life and love Do Me Do My Roots had me from the beginning. Our main character and her sisters are a laugh riot, reminding me of best friends. Things spike up and down for them, even before the start of the book takes place brining heartbreak and hilarity before we realize the universe isn't up to us. The realness of the characters was what really caught me (along with other things), I loved that they had real problems and handled them the w ...more
Chaos
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sister, or is a sister, or appreciates relationships laced with humor
Shelves: keepers
How Eileen Rendahl knew my family, I have no idea....but she nailed it. For the first time I was reading a book that honored the close-knit family...and didn't make me feel weird about how close-knit my own family was.

And she did it while making me laugh. And cry. With a touch of subtle that many authors can't manage. Other authors are too heavy-handed with the "you're going to laugh now" and "you're going to cry now" and "this one is going to touch you" stuff. I don't like being yanked around b
Erin
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Opening the story, we find Emily's father having a "cardiac episode" gathering the whole family in the hospital, as any tight-knit family would. The sisters share life's ups and downs during their monthly root dyeing ritual. As their lives seemingly spiral on similar paths (mostly revolving around their dating lives, or lack thereof), each sister deals with different bumps and emotional bruises along the way.

I was expecting a little more from this book. The story was good enough, but the story j
Taylor Werner
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very easy, romantic read that describes the love and loss of a young woman, Emily. Emily is a recent widow, and the story describes how she is trying to pick herself back up and get back into the dating world. Everything in Emily's world seems to be spiraling out of control, from her dating life to her family situations, but luckily she has great friends who attempt to keep her sane. I enjoyed this book as it was easy to read and a cute story.
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay, it must be me. After reading the reviews and putting this book on my Wish List, I couldn't wait to read it once it arrived. What a disappointment. I could not get into the book at all. I found it tedious and boring and finally gave up after 25 or so pages. I could not get a sense of the characters and found the chapter titles and hair color descriptions for each sister silly. I likely will not read any of this author's books in the future.
Ginny
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was intrigued because the story revolves around 3 sisters (I am one of 3 sisters)and they get together and color each others hair once a month and talk about their lives. The youngest is recovering from the death of her husband. There is humor and sadness. Not enough depth of character or class for me. I can't recommend it.
Dee
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this little read. If you like books about family, love, sisters who get along and all that good stuff, you will like this book. It isn't all roses. All of the sisters have been through or are going through issues in their lives and all of them are dealing with the aging of their parents. How they struggle through and discover their own strengths was an enjoyable ride.
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mom
Shelves: women-s-fiction
A wonderful story of three sisters in their 30s dealing with loss, through death and divorce, and love. Leah, Claudia, and Emily meet once a month to dye each others' hair and dish about dating, and their wacky parents. In-between dye-jobs they are in and out of each others' homes on a daily basis, sharing child care, and the minutiae of daily life.
Laura Goldstein
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was alright - nothing special. It was difficult for me to get interested in any of the characters. However, I wasn't expecting all that much from it. It was obviously a girlie, light book. I usually like to read these pointless ones in between serious books. Now on to something more intriguing and well-written. :)
Michelle Boyea
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
From heart break to loss, from friendship to love, this book shows how much of a roller coaster life is. No matter how much you try to control everything, you can't. At your lows, you need to stay positive. And at your highs, you need to stay humble.

And above all, family will be there for you.
Amy
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a fellow widow I enjoyed (and related) to the extreme lows, fears and even laughter Emily experiences as she grieves and finds how to move forward with her life and live again. Family dynamics were great.
Tracy L. Cathey
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and fun read!

Sweet and fun read!

Sweet and fun read, I will be reading more by this author. Written well and likable characters, hoping for a series with this family of characters.

Mary Martin
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good chick lit story. It made me laugh and teary eyed. The dynamics between the sisters was realistic. I really didn't expect much from the title, but the author delivered. I would suggest that the author get a better proof-reader though.
Cherri
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the three sisters (just like my family!) and their relationships through both sadness and joy. I did find the story a bit predictable but all in all an enjoyable read.
Stacy  Natal
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I'd give it a 3 1/2 stars if I could. It's a chick lit book, but it has some meat to it. The author experienced losing a husband to cancer and although she wrote it as a work of fiction, the emotions are real.
Kelly Black
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lol monents and a great story
Jerrie
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. I would recommend this to those who like chic-lit but want "a little something more."

Enjoy.
Molly O'keefe
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: formative-books
This book broke my heart - one of my favorites of all time
Denice
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Loved this story. I laughed out loud at the sisters bantering and their mother too. Funny, sometimes sad but definitely sweet. A great read.
Marilyn
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

this is one of those sad stories that finally turn our happen.the relationships of families and loved ones is inspiring.
Julie
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a funny, quirky book that had me laughing out loud sometimes and was a nice change of pace.
Eli
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2013
Predictable but funny.
Elaine
I got to 63% of this one but it didn't do anything for me. The only reason I got that far is because I was too busy to look for another book.
Dee W.
Nov 12, 2007 rated it liked it
When did Chick!Lit get so depressing? I liked this novel a lot, it was a very easy read and straddled that good line of sop and substence.
Colette
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
A fun quick read about the lives of 3 sisters and their parents. As their parents age they view them and their lives differently

• The Art of Undressing
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • Room for Love
  • Making Mischief
  • Why Moms Are Weird
  • Ex and the Single Girl
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #2)
  • My Favorite Mistake
  • Wish
  • Keep Your Mouth Shut and Wear Beige
  • She, Myself & I
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
“Is there any shame to sleeping? There are news reports on all the time about how sleep deprived we are and how dangerous it is with drivers falling asleep at the wheel and machine operators pushing the wrong buttons. I’m actually performing a public service by sleeping. Maybe I’m worried that they’ll think I’m lazy. At three o’clock in the morning, however, I figured subterfuge was pointless.” 0 likes