Start by marking “Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #108)” as Want to Read:
Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club, #108)

Don't Give Up, Mallory (The Baby-Sitters Club #108)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mal's thrilled with the subject of the new Short Takes class: Children's literature, her favorite! But when the course begins, she couldn't be more disappointed. It's all discussions and no writing, which she hates. When she does raise her hand, the teacher, Mr. Cobb, ignores her.
Published May 1st 1997 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Don't Give Up, Mallory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Give Up, Mallory

Ciara
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
this book is so fucked up. but maybe that's why i liked it. it's rare that a babysitters club book actually makes me get angry along with the characters.

so mallory is excited because she is beginning a new short takes class about children's books. as we all know, mallory aspires to one day write & illustrate children's books, so this is right up her alley. her teacher is mr. cobb, a foxy new young dude who just graduated from princeton. i am pretty sure that they just recycled the model who
Tiffany
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddies, teens
I'd forgotten how inspirational Baby-Sitters Club books can be, or try to be. In this book, Mallory learns how to stick up for herself (to a teacher, a principal, and other students), while at the same time knowing she has the intelligence to lead a major project, and also has to remind herself that being a "brain" isn't a bad thing. At the same time, Kristy's sub-plot (creating a marching band for kids who don't belong to any clubs) is about inclusiveness, creativity, stick-to-it-ness, and team ...more
Samantha
This book always made me mad when I was a kid on Mallory's behalf. The shit she went through in class was infuriating, and I just always wanted to stand up for her. This book still makes me mad as an adult, and I just wish that I could reaching inside the pages and strangle Mr. Cobb. He was not only a tool, but he also didn't really learn any sort of actual lesson by the end. Rage!
Laura Hughes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: babysitters-club
Mallory is thrilled to be taking a "Short Takes" class in children’s literature, her favorite topic, but to her surprise, the class quickly becomes her least favorite. The class is 100% in-class discussion and participation, and the teacher, a coach, doesn’t call on her, even though she raises her hand for most of the class. When she finally does get a chance to talk, he doesn’t give her time to think, and she sounds stupid. She theorizes that he is much more lenient with the boys. Meanwhile, sh ...more
April
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Claire
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
...again, I got really frustrated by, um, everyone. Although I did like that the sexist teacher both admitted his faults and started changing his ways. And the sub-plot where Mallory taught her friend that it was better to be herself instead of changing so boys would like her was nice. Mostly I think I shouldn't read 90s YA of this ilk while I'm cranky, though.
Nicky
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Kudos to Ann M. Martin for tackling sexism in schools, however I think the depiction was oversimplified and resolved a little too easily. It did do a good job of demonstrating that sexist people aren't always aggressive or obvious in their sexism, though.
Amy Holcomb
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Baby-sitters Club series was my favorite growing up! :)
Nancy
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
In which Mel-ry has to deal with a teacher who favors boys, and we, the readers, learn about sexism and why it's wrong to dumb yourself down for boys. Not bad, actually. But Mal still sucks.
Megan
Feb 01, 2014
nicole
Mar 24, 2007
Jordan
rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2014
Jan 29, 2016
Miley
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Garfield Blots Out the Sun (Garfield #43)
  • Weird But True: 300 Outrageous Facts (Weird But True, #1)
  • Science: A Discovery in Comics
  • Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War
  • The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)
  • Enter the Earth
  • Recipe for Murder (Nancy Drew: Files, #21)
  • Fashion Kitty
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Help! I'm Trapped in Obedience School Again

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)