Start by marking “Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideala Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals Into Daily Life S Into Daily Life” as Want to Read:

Meditation outlines a unique approach to tapping inner resources by training concentration on inspirational passages. Eknath Easwaran's practical Eight Point Program offers specific, systematic tools to sharpen concentration, deal effectively with stress, release deep reserves of energy, and transform anger and other destructive emotions. This book offers tested techniques ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Nilgiri Press (first published 1978)

Start your review of Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideala Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals Into Daily Life S Into Daily Life
Lorilin
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, wellness
Author Eknath Easwaran has written several books on meditation. He has also translated and written guides for many Indian spiritual texts, like The Bhagavad Gita and The Upanishads. Passage Meditation is a combination of both areas of study: it's the process of meditating on "the words of inspired passages chosen from the wisdom literature of the world." These "inspired passages" can be from any time, culture, or religion, and Easwaran is very emphatic that the person studying them doesn't have ...more
Leanne Ellis
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in the airport in India after studying meditation in Thailand at a Buddhist monastery. I found this book more helpful for integrating meditation into my life than the week-long stay at the monastery!
S.Ach
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Many a times, out of our busy schedule, when we try to get some time to reflect on the fundamental questions of life - like 'What's the purpose of my life?', 'Is there a God?' 'What is morality?' etc etc. and seek insights from many enlightened souls, very often we come to a singular suggestion from them , "meditate and you will find the answers".
Most prominent gurus and enlightened souls do practice meditation and always tell how it has impacted their own thoughts and life. However, meditation
Tim
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The eight points Easwaran articulates are nothing new, nothing difficult to understand (practice will be another thing) and this is the most practical guide to life-changing spirituality I've seen. His universality is highly attractive.
Roxanne
Eknath Easwaran's book Passage Meditation: Bringing the Deep Wisdom of the Heart into Daily Life is a kind, thoughtful guide to meditation for beginners and more experienced practitioners alike. Mr. Easwaran takes the tone of a helpful friend and mentor; the book is an easy read that makes meditation seem doable.

Mr. Easwaran starts by discussing the many benefits of meditation, describing how he came to meditation in the first place as a busy young professor at a university in India. He then det
Elizabeth
I have spent the past twenty years trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to meditate. I have read countless books on the subject - by Lama Surya Das, by Jon Kabat-Zinn, by Pema Chodron...and I have attended classes and workshops - with Sharon Salzburg and many other wise and learned teachers. I have sat and sat, trying to focus on my breathing and rid my mind of the series of intrusive thoughts. And, after a while, I give up.

Passage Meditation, Eknath Easwaran's very clear and practical system of medit
Roger
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superb way to get into a daily meditation practice. It works for a lot of us who have tried to practice through the years - and failed. Picking a short passage - Easwaran offers some good suggestions - and repeating it over and over again for 30 minutes sounds nuts, but it isn't. You not only memorize and get into your very bones a profound spiritual statement, but you also become aware of all that is going on inside of you - and learn that you are in charge of your thoughts.
I have re
Denise Tarasuk
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eknath Easwaren is a fantastic writer. My whole life calmed down after reading his Eight Point Program. Fantastic! His words are calming and fill me with peace and harmony. I have read this book over and over. I pack it each time I have a trip and have taken it with me from East to West. Each chapter is special. This book is a real keeper. Dr. Denise Tarasuk (author of Monsoon Medicine)
Lauren Kinney
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
For what this book is, it is top notch. I'm interested in religions, and mystical traditions in particular catch my fancy. I tend to bounce from one metaphysical point of view to another as my mind winds itself around different intellectual trends I ascertain in different traditions. That is precisely what I like about this book and the program it represents. It encourages you to read spiritual classics from the mystics of all different traditions, but the meditation itself is not too messy, met ...more
Tom
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in meditation
Recommended to Tom by: Jason Johnson
I am profiting from this book. I have begun to implement its practices, though imperfectly. Very useful. Though from as Eastern religions viewpoint, Eswaran deeply respects Christian beliefs and practices. A useful crossover book.
John Burns
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Eknath's ideas and they have already started to influence my day to day life. Many of these influences will last for the rest of my life I would think.

As I've mentioned in other reviews, he has this bad habit of writing loads of books, most of which cover all 8 points of his "program" but in unequal amounts, which means you read a lot of waffle about one topic and very little about the other 7. I had been hoping for one book in which he concisely but thoroughly covers all his ma
Mark Flanagan
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddhism, read-2008
I haven't read this sort of book in a while, though I used to read Alan Watts (who I would recommend) quite a bit. I picked up "Meditation" because one of my goals this year is to meditate more regularly.. Eknath Easwaran's book came recommended to me by a friend, and it was easy to find in the used bookstore as it was published back in 1978 and was something of a bestseller.

Neither Easwaran's "passage meditation," in which a person in meditation repeats a singular passage - he recommends beginn
Nithin A
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone looking for some self introspection. A good starting point to even trying to understand the meaning of Life. This book is truly LIFE CHANGING. Changed my perspective of looking at things. The 8 point method mentioned in the book including the mantra and one pointed mind is truly helpful for someone who’s trying to climb the blue mountain of this miracle called Life!
Steve Lim
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book on meditation I have read and the only one I experienced no struggle with. All of Easwaran's advice is sensible and easy to accept and follow. This book is not just a good read, it presents a good formula for successful living in a society such as the money-dominated, greed-driven, psychosis-laden consumerism that is our capitalist system.
Ramakrishnan
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Easy for most people to follow. Easy to read. Easy to practice. A MUST. An effective tool to: 1. Sharpen concentration, 2. release deep reserves of energy, 3. transform anger, 4. leave behind painful memories, 5. learn to love more fully and 5. dicover your unique contribution to life
David
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to meditation. The most valuable part of the book is Easwaran's presentation of the other spiritual disciplines and life-habits that support a consistent meditation practice.
Susan
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this years ago; it's an especially effective meditation method for those with a chronically wandering mind.
Mcrae Molatore
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This a great guide to a better lifestyle. Easwaran is funny and wise. This book is just one more way for all of us to become better people.
Mike Matrejek
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is what started the major change in my life. A must read for anyone searching for the elusive goal of finding everlasting joy and peace.
Deborah McCabe
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever. It's where I first learned to meditate.
Shalla
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
i read this book years ago as a teen and again in my mid 20s
i love the side stories and the way he writes

this is one of two books i recommend to others looking to better their lives
Franta
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, fresh writing. Useful, important advice and clear explanation. Fun read!
Also the audiobook version, narrated by Paul Bazely, is amazing.
Mauro Aragón
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're wondering why it took me so long to read this book, let me explain: I actually first read/found it in the 90s. Then after many years, dug it out and settled into it again. I must have gotten the app and checked "Reading" because I was reading bits of it again. It's one of those books that you can read daily and you still get something out of it. It's simple knowledge that most mindful people already know but we do often the little things that make life better. It's a book about being m ...more
Tori
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had encountered Easwaran when I was younger; his approach to spirituality and well-being, as well as his voice, is perhaps the most relatable and kindest I have found. He seems to be the rare soul that was both down-to-earth and yet also firmly grounded in the divine.

Excellent and simple intro to meditation... I will have to read it all again before I can absorb everything, but I feel hopeful about my ability to pull off what seems a very daunting enterprise.
Jean-Louis Brunet
Great book!

I’m very partial to Eknath Easwaran and simply love the book. Meditation and mantram help in progressing towards a happier life, for one and for all. Besides describing in simple words passage meditation, he provides an interesting Q&A for beginners and more advance meditators.
Aashish Satyajith
An 8-point itinerary for meditation that is independent of any particular religion or tradition. Even atheists will feel comfortable with the book.

The book starts off well with interesting insights from the author but trickles down to common-sense advice from the latter half of the book and culminates in borderline impractical advice. If I take an average I don't regret reading this.
James E
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always wanted to learn how to meditate. I have read so many books, some went over my head, some were impractical, designed for monastics. With Easwaran's book, I found something down to Earth and easy to implement. I think this book will be the start of a new spiritual journey that my soul has been floundering about looking for my whole life.
Roman Leventov
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Life is so short that none of us can afford to waste a day not doing our best to get closer to the god. Take advantage of every opportunity to repeat the mantram. To train the senses. To keep transforming your passions. Meditate. Don't waste a moment doing selfish things."
Vasanth Gopal
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for seekers on the path of meditation.
Jessica Sharpenstein
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book deepened my meditation practice, making me crave my morning sit. Plus, I resonate with the author's direct, simplistic, yet profound writing-style.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Bhagavad Gita
  • The Dhammapada
  • Yoga Journal Presents Restorative Yoga for Life: A Relaxing Way to De-stress, Re-energize, and Find Balance
  • The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham
  • The Upanishads
  • A Course in Miracles
  • Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul
  • The Yamas  Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice
  • Dirt is Good: The Advantage of Germs for Your Child's Developing Immune System
  • The Teachings of Abraham Book Collection: Boxed Set
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • How Can I Help? Stories and Reflection on Service
  • The Swedish Way to Parent and Play: Advice for Raising Gender-Equal Kids
  • Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life
  • A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health
  • Classic Krakauer: After the Fall, Mark Foo's Last Ride and Other Essays from the Vault
  • The Green Roasting Tin: Vegan and Vegetarian One Dish Dinners
  • One Degree Revolution: How the Wisdom of Yoga Inspires Small Shifts That Lead to Big Changes
Eknath Easwaran (1910–1999) is the originator of passage meditation and the author of more than 30 books on spiritual living.

Easwaran is a recognized authority on the Indian spiritual classics. His translations of The Bhagavad Gita, The Upanishads, and The Dhammapada are the best-selling editions in the USA, and over 1.5 million copies of his books are in print.

Easwaran was a professor of English