Jump to ratings and reviews

Lords of Essex #4

My Scot, My Surrender

SCOTLAND, 1819.

Brandt Montgomery Pierce is a bastard—and proud of it. Raised by the Duke of Bradburne, Brandt enjoys an uncommon life of privilege. Despite the mystery surrounding his birth, he has wealth and opportunity, and wants nothing more. Especially not a wife.

Lady Sorcha Maclaren, the fiery and scarred daughter of Laird Maclaren, the Duke of Dunrannoch, is desperate to avoid marriage to a loathsome marquess at any cost...even if it means risking a kiss with a handsome stranger at a Scottish border festival.

But after an innocent kiss turns into a scandalously public embrace, Sorcha and Brandt get more than they bargained for—a swift trip to the altar. When danger chases them into the Highlands, and deceit threatens to tear them apart, their only hope will be to surrender...to each other.

431 pages, ebook

First published January 29, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amalie Howard

28 books2,385 followers
AMALIE HOWARD is a USA Today and Publishers Weekly bestselling author, most notably of The Beast of Beswick, “a smart, sexy, deliciously feminist romance,” and one of O-The Oprah Magazine’s Top 24 Best Historicals to Read. She is the co-author of the #1 bestsellers in regency romance and Scottish historical romance, My Rogue, My Ruin and What A Scot Wants, and has also penned several young adult novels, critically acclaimed by Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, VOYA, School Library Journal, and Booklist, including Waterfell, The Almost Girl, and Alpha Goddess, a Kid’s INDIE NEXT selection. Of Indo-Caribbean descent, she has written articles on multicultural fiction for The Portland Book Review and Ravishly magazine. She currently resides in Colorado with her husband and three children. Visit her at amaliehoward.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (2%)
1 star
4 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 66 reviews
Profile Image for Madison Warner Fairbanks.
2,120 reviews275 followers
February 3, 2022
My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan
Lord of Essex #4. Scottish historical romance. Can be read as a stand-alone but characters from previous books do make appearances.
Brandt enjoys a life of privilege. Trying to buy a horse ends up with him married and traveling to keep her safe from a loathsome marquess.

Sorcha has scars across her face and she owns it! Rather than hide, she learns to fight with broadswords and knifes and fists. When Brandt looks at her as a woman rather than at her scars, of course she’s going to want to get to know him. Their relationship grows and it’s so kind and supportive. A nice treat was when the brother tells Brandt that he wasn’t really going to let the marquess have her. Swoon worthy brother. And that’s just a small twist in the beginning that precedes travels, bandits, a miserable castle and much more. It’s a saga, Scottish style with a romance to win the family and lands.
Profile Image for Debbie DiFiore.
1,913 reviews205 followers
July 6, 2021
Another great story

This book is the beginning before the series Tartans and something. I read it before I read this and it filled me in on some background and it was really good. I am loving these books. This is about a man that was raised by his Father and thinking his mother had sent them away. He was a good man and he saw the heroine, Sorcha, fighting a man at a competition and winning. She came up and kissed him, trying to break her betrothal, and her brothers forced her into marrying him. But the ex fiancee is a cruel and vile man and wants vengeance and the girl back. The planned on annulling their marriage but their attraction was smoking hot! I got annoyed at the hero a couple of times because he was so adamant about leaving her behind, but she ended up stealing his heart. There are secrets regarding his true heritage and this book is just one long exhilarating ride. So may villains, it was hard to keep track sometimes but the ending was perfect. I am going back to read the others in this series too...
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,289 reviews263 followers
December 20, 2018
4.5 Stars!

My Scot, My Surrender was an absolute delight from start to finish with fantastic characters and a romance I couldn't help but root for.

Brandt Montgomery Pierce is content with his life despite being born a bastard. Brandt is wealthy in his own right which grants him many opportunities and the last thing he wants is a wife. Lady Sorcha Maclaren, daughter of Laird Maclaren the Duke of Dunrannoch, is determined to find a way out of her betrothal to a horrible marquess. When she kisses Brandt at a Scottish border festival, her hope was that the marquess would call off the engagement not that she would have to marry the stranger she kissed! After danger forces them to flee into the Highlands, Brandt and Sorcha discover this sham of a marriage might be the most real thing in their lives.

Sorcha is known as the Beast of Maclaren throughout the Highlands, a nickname that derived from the scars on her face from a wolf attack when she was nine. When she was a child the nickname stung, but now Sorcha has embraced the name and trained to become one of the fiercest warriors of clan Maclaren. Sorcha is very outspoken and determined to do as she pleases, refusing to be spoken down to simply because she is a woman. She is devoted to her family and at times lets that devotion blind her to the truth.

Brandt was abandoned by his mother when he was an infant and as an adult he still has some lingering abandonment and trust issues, particularly when it comes to women. Despite growing up a bastard, Brandt has made a name for himself with his horse stables and has amassed quite a bit of wealth in the process. At times he is even mistaken for a nobleman due to his appearance. Brandt has a deep connection with horses and is quite devoted to them. His horse Ares is an absolute sweetheart and Brandt thinks of him as part of his family.

Sorcha and Brandt’s relationship is a bit of a twist on the fake relationship trope, which happens to be one of my favorite romance tropes. Both Sorcha and Brandt felt drawn to one another at the border festival, but neither of them believed anything would come from it. Because they plan for their marriage to be annulled the two cannot consummate the marriage which definitely leads to a lot of starts and stops to their physical relationship. Eventually the relationship progresses and it’s incredibly sexy and well done.

The villains in this book are written incredibly well written to the point I was actively rooting for them to get their comeuppance. The authors did an amazing job getting you to hate the villains and they were truly evil. The epilogue in My Scot, My Surrender was very sweet as it brought together all of the couples from the previous books in the series. I enjoyed getting a glimpse at their futures and seeing them all happy.

My Scot, My Surrender ended up being my favorite book in the Lords of Essex series. I highly recommend the entire series for anyone looking for a new historical romance series to pick up.

**I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**
Profile Image for Linda.
1,106 reviews
January 13, 2018
After surviving an attack from a protective mother wolf at a young age, Sorcha is left with scars on her face and body. Harder to survive is the revulsion and disgust she has to face thereafter. Instead, Sorcha determines to be stronger, and better and becomes a fearless and skilled warrior who can out-shoot and outfight just about everyone with a bow, sword or dagger.

Sorcha’s attempt at scandal in order to avoid a marriage to the loathsome, unsavoury Marquess of Malvern who only wants her for her dowry ends up with her being forced into a marriage to Brandt by her brothers instead. She and Brandt agree to an temporary arrangement of mutual benefit, and to annul the marriage once Sorcha is safely away from the threat of Malvern. Fleeing to the north to seek protection in her married sister’s lands, Sorcha and Brandt find themselves pursued by a determined Malvern and his men.

Sorcha is the type of heroine I like. Capable, intelligent with a love of animals. While confident of her skills, she thinks that no man could ever want her, with her scars and the way she has been treated since having them. Brandt finds himself arrested, once he realizes that the slender youth he watched win a fight against a brute of a man many times the youth size with pure skill and agility is a lovely young woman. I loved how Brandt hardly even notices her scars and when he does see them, to him they a mark of her personality and courage.

I’d read one other book from this duo of authors which I’d not particularly cared for but to my delight, this book is a definite keeper with an enthralling storyline, fast pace, 2 wonderful characters whom I totally fell in love with. There is unexpected humour, a cast of interesting side characters not to mention a compelling and poignant romance.

"How did I ever find you?"
"With a kiss. With your courage. With your fierce heart."

“You’re adorable”
“Adorable is for puppies”, she grumbled. “I’m the beast of Maclaren. Trumpets blare and knees quake at my approach”

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,510 reviews16 followers
January 28, 2018
My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard; Angie Morgan is book Four in the "Lords of Essex" series. This is the story of Brandt and Sorcha. I have read the other books but feel this is easily a standalone book. Sorcha was scared by a wolf from an early age which has made her into the fighter that she is today. Marquess of Malvern is after Sorcha for her dowry and will stop at nothing to get it. Which puts Sorcha on a path to try to cause an issue that might stop this future. This leads her to Brandt who tries to help her but her brother see it as them getting married. Sorcha and Brandt form somewhat of a pack if they are to marry it will short term but feelings start to develop and the Marquess isn't giving up so easily. Sorcha was a strong heroine but felt that no one would ever really want her with the scars she had and worked to be a strong warrior but she always had a soft heart. Brandt doesn't see the scars but he does see the beauty that is within her.
I used watching there story come together.
Profile Image for Robyn.
420 reviews97 followers
February 16, 2018
Brandt Montgomery, a stable master in England, could not believe his fortune when he comes upon the most prized possession at a horse auction. Lochland Toss was just the horse he wants and needs for his stables. Unlucky for him though, the horse was not on the market and the horse's owner was none other then the Beast of Maclaren. A mere and mighty woman who right at that moment was wielding a sword and fighting a Scot. Determined to finally get the horse he he has been dreaming over, he makes his way over to confront the Beast of Maclaren.

The Beast of Maclaren is none other than Sorcha Maclaren. She received her name due to the scars on her face and body from a mother wolf who was protecting her young. Although, she hates the name, she has come to accept that no one will really see her as a woman underneath all of the horrible scars. Forced to marry a man she does not want, she does the only thing available to her to try to put an end to her up and coming wedding. She grabs and kisses Brandt Montgomery hoping her betrothed with break off the engagement. Too bad it backfires and she soon finds herself married to Brandt.

What started out as a mean to an end, Brandt agrees to a marriage in name only with the added benefit of getting Lochland Toss at the end of the duration. This sets off a road romance between the two while he tries to safely deliver her to another clan that can protect her from her betrothed who is hell bent on getting Sorcha back.

I have to say I really loved Sorcha Maclaren. She was a fiercely strong woman during her time period and even though she was called the beast in a way she was a beast, but in a good way. She was a strong fighter and is not a simpering miss to be taken lightly. She hates putting Brandt in this situation knowing full well her betrothed, a well and truly even villain, will be coming after the both of them.

Brandt Montgomery has his own past and issues he is dealing with. He was abandoned by his mother and lived with his father. He hated the Scots, especially since his mother is a Scot. He doesn't feel as if he is good enough for Sorcha considering he was not titled and she was a Duke's daughter. During their road trip they get to know one another and along the way other secrets emerge that can threaten the both of them. Can their love survive all the dangers around them?

While I loved the plot, I felt it was a little too long and could have been wrapped up about three quarters into the story. It in no way detracted from my enjoyment though as I really came to care for both Sorcha and Brandt and really wanted their HEA through all of the turmoil they both faced.

MY SCOT, MY SURRENDER is the forth book in the Lords of Essex series and it can be read as a standalone. Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan make for a fantastic duo writing team and they both draw you right into the story with their lush imagery and prose. My only wish is that this was not the last book in the series as I would have loved to see a story on one of Sorcha's brothers, especially Ronan. If you love Historical Romance novels then you do not want to miss this story.
Profile Image for Tracy Emro.
1,731 reviews44 followers
January 25, 2018
DNF - I tried, there are so many glowing reviews that I thought I was being overly picky. But when the bad guy shows up with armored knights and called for the magistrate to annul the marriage - I couldn’t take anymore.

The historical inaccuracies are glaringly obvious, the formal address is butchered beyond belief and the authors knowledge of the regency era is clearly non-existent.

Profile Image for A Klue.
1,497 reviews298 followers
January 30, 2018
This is a “new to me” author, folks. Knowing it was a Scottish historical romance was pretty much all it took to convince me to give it a try. Here’s to hoping this short review will help you decide if you should do the same.

What did I like?

From the get go, Brandt, the hero, saw Sorcha, the scarred/warrior like heroine, as beautiful inside and out. He recognized her bravery, courage, and strength and never once saw her as anything less than completely desirable. He saw past her physical scars/imperfections and was attracted to what made her unique. Yeah, she won his heart at first glance, but it took his knucklehead brain a lot longer to catch up. You see, his repetitive mantra filled with doubts and insecurities got in the way of what was right in front of him. I honestly don’t know how Sorcha put up with him at times. It certainly helped, despite being able to defend herself, he did his best to always keep her physically safe, which often meant risking his own life and limbs. Her heart was a another different story, but I’ll tackle that subject in just a moment.

The back and forth banter between these two was great. I loved how Sorcha was always quick with a come back and wasn’t afraid to speak up when necessary.

Sorcha’s strong character speaks for itself. I love a strong, warrior lass who can fight alongside the best of men. She was a true role model for the other lasses.

R-O-N-A-N...Sorcha’s oldest brother. We don’t know much about him, except he rides to the rescue out of the blue verra briefly. I would love to read a full length story about him one day.

What I wasn’t wild about?

It became rather exhausting to listen to Brandt’s mental rants about growing up without a mother, not trusting women, and why he shouldn’t be with Sorcha. Though they spent a lot of time traveling on horseback, they both spent considerable time inside their own heads. It certainly was understandable Sorcha had several hot and cold reactions to Brandt’s back and forth behavior. There were a couple of times he stomped on her heart for her supposedly own good. At least on one of those occasions she told him to go to bloody h*ll. Unfortunately, that wasn’t always the case. She just couldn’t seem not to comfort him when she saw him troubled.

The reason Brandt agreed to this arrangement in the beginning.

The lack of progress of the plot in the first eleven chapters. This was a book I picked up and put down several times, folks. When they finally reached their destination, things definitely picked up though and become very engaging. There is a nail biting, smack down, all out battle with teamed up evil villains to look forward to.

Brandt’s hurtful words in an attempt to push her away after a brief smexy session to protect his heart about half way through had me in shock. I wanted her from then on out to give him the cold shoulder and make him beg for forgiveness. Instead, I had to settle for a brief “I’m sorry.”

Well, that will about do it, my fellow Scottish romance book loving friends. Though at times I felt Sorcha needed to add “My Stupidity” to the title for putting up with this reluctant to admit his love hero, I eventually accepted his weaknesses along with his strengths. Sorcha finally gets the one and only man who saw past her flaws and wanted her simply for herself.

Romance Safety Gang:

Title: My Scott, My Surrender, Series: Lords of Essex (Book 4), Author: Amalie Howard/Angie Morgan, VERY graphic, steamy scenes, strong/warrior heroine with disfiguring scars, alpha hero who finally comes to his senses, fight scenes, evil villains, no OW/OM, no love triangle, no cheating.

(I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I was not given any payment or compensation for this review, nor is there any affiliation or relationship between this reviewer and the author/publisher/NetGalley.)
Profile Image for Cathy Geha.
3,550 reviews61 followers
January 22, 2018
My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard & Angie Morgan
Lords of Essex #4

A horse
A fight
A kiss
A marriage

Yep…that is pretty much what happened…Well, in the first chapter of the book. After that a whole lot more happens as an evil villain is thwarted a lost family is found and admiration of a “beast” becomes a whole lot more.

Brandt Montgomery Pierce is a well-to-do stable master looking for horses to buy on a shopping trip to Scotland when he sees Sorcha MacLaren, The MacLaren Beast, fighting a much larger adversary. The fight was in fun and for a wager but the big lout did not take his loss well so Brandt stepped in to lend a hand. To say he was a bit surprised by her ardent reward for his help is to put it mildly. To say he was more surprised when her brothers and cousins arrived in the midst of the reward pretty much forcing a shotgun wedding is an understatement. The fact that Sorcha has something he believes worth bartering for sees the marriage accomplished quickly BUT then the evil Marchioness Malvern arrives to take his betrothed…wedded or not. With a chase across the highlands, fights along the road, a clan to visit that might provide clues to the identity of Brandt’s mother and a final resolution to many issues this story is not only action-packed and suspenseful but filled with witty repartee, tender moments, nefarious characters, surprises and oh so much more.

This book was well plotted and excellently written. The chemistry between Brandt and Sorcha was there from the first but the slow growing love story was one that warmed my heart. I found Sorcha to be strong in more ways than one and I found Brandt to be her perfect mate…he agreed…finally ;) When I can say I felt I was there, admired the characters and would like to call them friends then it is a good story indeed – this was such a story!

Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing – Amara for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
Profile Image for Suze.
1,878 reviews1,311 followers
January 31, 2018
It's 1819 and Sorcha is being equally skilled at fighting as her warrior brothers, she might even be better. She's a lady, but she has a reputation. She also has scarring in her face that makes her well known. When she meets Brandt at a festival Sorcha sees a way out of a dire situation. Brandt is a horseman and he's interested in both Sorcha and her animal. When Sorcha kisses Brandt in public they're being forced to marry. This arrangement will suit both of them. Sorcha will get out of a promise she doesn't want to fulfill and Brandt will get the horse he longs to have. However, when they say yes to each other they get more than they bargained for.

The cruel man Sorcha had been promised to by her family doesn't let her go without a fight. He's chasing after her and Brandt. They are both skilled fighters, but they need to find a safe place and shelter at some point. During their journey past secrets come to the surface. Brandt and Sorcha don't even know each other, was their marriage really a good idea and what will they do when they are being confronted with the large number of consequences of their union?

My Scot, My Surrender is a fantastic romantic story with impressive main characters. Sorcha is a fierce warrior. She's a skilled fighter and a smart woman. I liked her spirit and determination. Brandt is a strong man with a good heart. He has a lot of questions about his past and I was curious about the answers. I couldn't wait to discover the truth behind his ancestry. Brandt and Sorcha meet each other by chance, but it's clear they are a great match and I couldn't wait to find out if they'd have a chance together. From the moment they say yes to one another they're being chased and I was gripped by their adventure from beginning to end.

Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan have written another terrific love story. I loved their descriptions of the beautiful rough Scottish landscape and was impressed by the way they're making the time they're writing about come to life. I could easily picture the battles, the power struggles and the family feuds. I enjoyed the combination of an action-packed journey with true love. My Scot, My Surrender is an amazing entertaining, sexy and charming story.
Profile Image for Teresa Mary Rose.
1,115 reviews355 followers
April 30, 2020
This is a series I have truly enjoyed from the get go, but this one is definitely my favorite of the series. I loved the buildup and tension in this one and the characters were awesome.

Brandt and Sorcha were fantastic. Brandt is so easy to love and Sorcha is so fierce and I adored her. I loved how what they loved most about one another is what others saw as drawbacks. They saw one another for what they were and didn’t shy away from it. They both grew so much over the course of the book, both as a couple and individually. I just adored them together. They had fantastic banter and crazy chemistry and they just worked so well.

I also adored the secondary characters. This one had such a great cast and I wouldn’t mind getting to know some of them better. Aisa in particular was my favorite. She is just awesome and I love her. Ronan also intrigues me greatly and I think I could really love him.

The plot for this one was great. It had action and suspense and a great romance. The plot moved at a great pace and kept me engaged. I loved the development of the romance but I also loved the aspects outside of the romance and it was all balanced so well.

My Scot, My Surrender was a great read that really kept me engaged. It had a great cast of characters and it didn’t let me down.
Profile Image for Bec.
1,627 reviews39 followers
February 4, 2018

It's been arranged that Lady Sorcha MacLaren is set to marry a horrible man, but she will do anything to get out of the arrangement, even if it means kissing a stranger in public in order to create a scandal that would see her marry her stranger instead. Yet, both know that Sorcha isn't safe from the man she was supposed to marry and as the danger from the man's rage closes in, will Brandt Montgomery Pierce be able to keep Sorcha safe or will they lose their chance at happy ever after?

This is one of the best Historical Romances I've read lately due to the plot being fast-paced and having many obstacles for the hero and heroine to overcome; the characters being incredible with back stories that had me sympathizing with them, as the hero discovers things about his life that change it for the better and the heroine has had it tough due to what happened to her years ago. Really, her nickname is the Beast, which doesn't sound fair but she owns the nickname and I liked that she didn't let it get her down. And also, the dialogue was compelling, as trouble brews and Brandt is determined to do whatever it takes to keep Sorcha safe. Will the hero succeed?

As for the main characters, I loved every interaction between them, as they do their best to resist their attraction since the hero never wanted to marry and the heroine needed him to escape her engagement. However, nothing is ever simple and it's palpable that these two will give into their intense chemistry no matter how much they try to resist. Furthermore, the heroine is strong and brave and I liked the fact that she could protect herself, which is proven by her skills with both a bow and arrow as well as a sword. I also liked that she didn't care what people thought about her, because the only opinion that really mattered was Brandt's. Then there's the close bond she shares with her siblings and that she'd do anything to protect them because they've already been through tough times, especially her youngest brother due to what happened to him when the family crossed a bad guy.

While the hero, he had a good life growing up, but I couldn't help but sympathize with him because of the discovery he makes when it comes to his family. I also liked how protective the hero was of the heroine, even though he didn't have to be because it was palpable that Sorcha could protect herself. Yet, what I liked most of all about the hero was his determination to win the heroine over once he realized how much she meant to him and that he couldn't let her get away. Will Sorcha give their marriage a real chance?

Overall, Ms. Howard and Ms. Morgan have delivered a well-written and captivating read in this fourth book of their Lords of Essex series where the chemistry between this couple is delightful and just keeps getting stronger the more they resist; the romance was wonderful and had me enjoying that these two gave their marriage the chance it deserved; and the ending had me worried for the main characters because of the danger they face, but left me smiling because of how things turned out for Brandt and Sorcha. However, it was the epilogue that wrapped this story up perfectly because there's so much to be celebrated. I would recommend My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan, if you enjoy Historical Romance, the fake relationship trope, or books by authors Jess Michaels, Lorraine Heath, Elizabeth Bright and Alyssa Alexander.
Profile Image for books are love.
3,131 reviews24 followers
January 29, 2018
Received in exchange for an honest review.

Thoroughly enjoyed this roguish book. Brandt captured me from the beginning. That isn’t to say he didn’t frustrate me at times but he was one that you could forgive for the frustration. Why? He saw Sorcha for who she was and not for her scars. To him the scars were a part of her that defined her character. Sorcha for him was a strong, beautiful warrior that was strong, stubborn, amazing and his equal in many ways. Only he didn’t think he was worthy of her. He didn’t have a title and didn’t want her to be disgraced because of this. Didn’t matter that he kept her from a marriage to a brute of a man in Malvern. That he kept her safe and treated her with respect and equality. That he loved her and wanted her to have everything her heart could desire. Nor did it matter that she loved him, he wanted her to never be treated unkindly and felt with him she would be.

Brandt was kind, strong and a hard worker. He didn’t think women should sit in a corner but that they could be fierce and warriors. He admired Sorcha and treated her as an equal. He did have a heart he protected because of his past and his mom he didn’t know. He is fair to those around him as well and very honorable.

Sorcha was strong, stubborn, and a warrior through and through. Her beauty came from the inside and one that Brandt saw immediately. He saw her fight her way through a group of men and still be a lady. Saw her do something to scorn herself so she could get out of a betrothal. She even stood up to him and changed his world. She was his strength and heart. when it came to helping save Sorcha it worked both ways for she saved him as well.

the story deals with family, regrets, danger, and love. We see Brandt find love and who he is but he does fight his love for Sorcha for a long time. He even sees what love is and doesn’t let go of Sorcha when he does. He sees anger and spite and how selfishness transforms someone into being very ugly and mean. We see a woman who sacrificed to keep someone safe and continue to sacrifice until she was set free by a kind man.

The writing flows, the story is adventurous and intimate. We see Sorcha and Brandt discover who each other is and fall in love. We see them fight for one another and family. We also see what it means to love and sacrifice in this captivating book where Sorcha’s brothers will drive us batty, Brandt and Sorcha have us smile and root for them to figure things out, and family and love warms the heart.

Profile Image for Lea Bookjoy.
1,269 reviews76 followers
March 15, 2020
More or less 4 stars

French & English reviews

Le dernier livre de la série et celui qui va lancer le spin-off de la série Tartans et Titans (que j'ai bien aimé) =D

Une romance agréable à lire pleine de dramas et d'angst avec des méchants maléfiques et des personnages principaux originaux (coup de cœur pour Sorcha !!)
MAIS
Je n'ai pas autant aimé ce livre que les autres livres de ces auteurs : les personnages étaient attachants mais trop de décisions stupides ce qui m'a un peu gâché la lecture () et comme d'habitude, plein d'incohérences historiques ...

Bref, une romance écossaise agréable à lire mais pas coup de cœur ><

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last book in the series and the one that will launch the spin-off of the Tartans and Titans series (which I really liked) =D

A romance pleasant to read full of dramas and angst with evil villains and original main characters (love Sorcha !!)
BUT
I didn't like this book as much as the other books by these authors : the characters were endearing but way too many stupid decisions which spoiled my reading a little () and as usual, lots of historical inconsistencies ...

In short, a Scottish romance pleasant to read but not a favorite ><
Profile Image for Brigitte .
1,557 reviews23 followers
January 29, 2018
This series has been a delight to read, and My Scot, My Surrender is so much more.

Brant is a charming Stable Master with a mysterious past. His passion for horses takes him to the Highlands in persuit of a special horse.

Sorcha is the daughter of a Highlands Duke and her daring personality led to an accident which has marked her for life from a very young age. She is courageous, but there is one thing that she is afraid of.

Brant attends a fair with the aim of purchasing a horse and whilst watching a fighting contest, he is intrigued by the winner. Contrary to his belief, the winner has the most beautiful blue eyes and he is completely mesmerised. There is a scuffle in regards to the contest and he goes to the rescue. Sorcha takes this opportunity to make a public scene, hoping that she can get out of the thing that she dreads the most. Unfortunately, like Brant she enjoys it a little too much! Brant is anti marriage, but in this instance, he can't resist striking a bargain to get the thing that he covets the most. It should be a win win situation. They both get what they want and carry on as normal. Before they know it, danger appears and they are on the run, but wherever they go danger is not far behind.

It's a fascinating story where they are both conflicted about their feelings. Brant receives the surprise of his life when he uncovers his true identity. For the first time, Sorcha feels like someone actually sees past her scars. The development of their romance is a fairy tale. It's a spellbinding story about true love overcoming any obstacle. Brant and Sorcha are is a match made in heaven. A dangerous and cruel journey with the most beautiful conclusion.

I was kindly issued with an eARC and the views expressed are my personal opinion.
Profile Image for Behind Closed Doors Book Review.
1,243 reviews138 followers
Amount of sex 3 / 5
How explicit 4.5 / 5
Story 4.5 / 5
Overall: 4.5 / 5 (rounded to a 5)

What happens when a Scottish lass doesn't want to marry the sadistic English marquess? Well, you find a guy that wants to really buy your horse and willing to trade your horse to marry you. Sorcha and Brandt meet at a festival, but neither of them are exactly what you suspect. Sorcha, engaged to the marquess who only wants her hand to pay a debt incurred by her father, is a powerful warrior. She is strong with the sword and the bow and not someone to be trifled with. Brandt is a horse master who doesn't know who is his birth mother is but he has lived well as a close friend of the Duke of Bradburne. Their story is on the run as Brandt wants to only get his new bride to safety and leave her there while he leaves with his new horse. But, of course, this is a romance so stuff happens.

Sorcha and Brandt are interesting and complex characters. They battle with their internal demons as well as some vicious men through-out the journey. The story has a lot of action as the couple travel through the Scottish Highlands. There is a slow burn as the couple wants each other but worry about the consequences of their actions and the impact it will have on their chosen goals.

The story has some unexpected twists that bring a rich tapestry of supporting characters. This story is long for a historical romance as it spends a lot of time in battle, on the road, and the mystery of Brandt's birth. Brandt's family origins opens the story to more than just - I want you but I willing to settle for your horse so your virtue remains intact.

Great story - Great characters - well worth the read!
Profile Image for Maria Dariotis .
753 reviews15 followers
January 29, 2018
After being mauled by a mother wolf when a young girl, Sorcha is marked by the marks left on her face, the ones visible are not so bad the ones left on her body are horrific. Given the name the Beast of MacLaren when spied on taking a bath as a young girl by the village boys, she’s feared and whispered about behind her back. It doesn’t help her reputation that she’s a fearsome warrior besting any man.
Things for Sorcha get worse when she is desperate to find a way out of marrying the man her father had betrothed her to, the vile Lord Malvern. When an opportunity arises she finds herself kissing one gorgeous man -Brandt Pierce (Montgomery) and hastily marrying him. Her good fortune if you ask me.

Brandt never wanted a wife all he wanted was a horse, he got his horse and the wife. But his newly acquired wife comes with some danger, her betrothed is hell bent on possessing her and that means his life is at stake. He has no desire to hand her over, not when her kisses are so intoxicating.
Making haste the flee to the highlands to avoid Malvern. The chase is on their lives at stake will reveal more than their desire. Secrets that have been hidden his entire life will be revealed that will change his destiny. Will Sorcha’s love be enough to heal him, will their love withstand the machinations of his enemies?

What a thrilling ride this story was, there’s treachery, deceit a plot for murder. A once in a lifetime love a sexy highlander and a bad-ass heroine rock this story. The storyline is enthralling and captivating, witty banter and even more sexy highlanders. This will definitely be on my keeper shelf! I hope the brothers get their story.

I recieved a complimentary ARC by the publisher via NetGalley. All opinions are my own
Profile Image for Letschat1974.
821 reviews9 followers
September 13, 2020
4 stars Amalie Howard/Angie Morgan

Stars 4 (Caroline Lee, Lynsay Sands, Donna Fletcher)

my personal markers for a great read...1. smart and engaging writing, 2. Humorous, 3. sexy interactions and 4. stories with family/friends.

I love series around family members or a group of friends. I love the series even more when the author intertwines those characters throughout the book series (it’s a pet peeve when authors don’t do that because what’s the point of the series and introducing the characters if they are not going to interact throughout the series). You get past book characters in this story, usually in the beginning and the end.

I loved the writing around the women empowerment (it wasn’t over the top for me). Badass women rock.

Movement of the book flowed for the most part. Book writing/conversation engaging. The Scottish dialogue wasn’t difficult to follow. Action packed writing alongside a good sexy romance.

Laugh out loud humorous moments.

Romantic /sexual content (kissing, oral and love making scenes) was throughout the book. Nothing over the top, some ‘dirty’ words intertwined rightly in the story telling. 2.5/5 hotness and steam.

Totally recommend author.

Will read the next book by the author.

You don’t have to read the book in order however I think you miss the true story of it’s not read in its order.
2,074 reviews39 followers
March 1, 2018
Brandt Montgomery Pierce has long coveted a certain Scotish bred stallion. He'd been trying to buy the horse for years. Little did he know that this desire would lead him into a dangerous adventure that would help him discover his destiny. Sorcha Maclaren is a fierce warrior. She may be scarred by an animal attack, but she has moved forward. In a ploy to avoid an arranged marriage to a brutal English Lord Sorcha kisses Brandt in front of the assembled men. Now thanks to her brothers, they are married. Will this stop her former betrothed? What happens next is a non stop adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat. Brandt is a wonderful hero. He vows to protect Sorcha and he's true to his word. I enjoyed the powerful chemistry between these two. Both carry emotional baggage that keeps them from trusting. I wanted them to realize how much they needed each other. The authors have written a riveting story. The plot has unexpected secrets that shocked me. All the characters are well written and powerful, but I felt a connection to Sorcha. The Lord of Essex series might have ended but I'm looking forward to the new series, Tartans & Titans.
I received a copy of this book which I voluntarily read and reviewed. My comments are my honest opinion.
Profile Image for P Leslie.
2,594 reviews18 followers
January 29, 2018
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else's*

I really enjoyed this book - it was action packed, gripping and captured my attention from the very first page.

Sorcha survived a wolf attack and is left permanently scarred. What man in their right mind would look beyond her physical appearance?

Brandt was a gonna from the moment he laid eyes on his fierce highlander lass. A deal between two people turns into so much more along the way but the question that still remains is whether he’s worthy to stand by her side?

The author captured both characters vulnerabilities and insecurities really well. Both characters were broken but they find in each other what they can’t see in themselves. Brandt sees Sorcha’s beauty in its entirety - she’s fierce, wild and stubborn but he wouldn’t have it any other way. Sorcha’s sees Brandt for the man he truly is - worthy and honest.

This was a fantastic story and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
Profile Image for Debra Taylor.
868 reviews24 followers
January 11, 2018

I was delighted by this book !

My Scot, My Surrender was a rich and beautifully written book that had me captivated from page one. It had an engaging main couple. I loved Brandt and Sorcha. These two characters were so brilliantly written that I could almost picture them in my mind. Brandt was a stalwart hero, quiet but very intense, and he made a wonderful Highlander. I fell for him the moment that he stepped up to save Sorcha. Now, Sorcha was a great Highlander, as well. She was the perfect Highland Hellion. This book had a compelling plot with loads of wit, humor and stunning surprises. It had all of that and more. That was what made it such a great read. I absolutely loved it so much that I have to buy the other books in the series and read those, as well.

I highly recommend this rich and exciting historical romance to everyone.

I VOLUNTARILY REVIEWED A COMPLIMENTARY NETGALLEY COPY OF THIS BOOK.
Profile Image for Petula.
2,580 reviews55 followers
January 29, 2018
Stable Master, Brant Montgomery Pierce has made the long journey from Essex to Scotland for many reasons. The one that is on his mind at the beginning of our story is buying a stallion he has his heart set on. The owner of the horse is about to turn his whole life upside down.
Sorcha Maclaren is known as the Beast of Maclaren because of her appearance. She is a warrior in her own right, but at the beginning of our story she is trying desperately to avoid her duty.
Our hero carries a heavy load of emotional baggage. It affects the way he sees himself and women. He will soon learn nothing is quite as it seems, even himself.
Our heroine is incredibly brave, and has put a hard shell around her feelings most of her life. She will soon find her soft center.
An all action highland adventure with fantastic characters, lots of excitement and danger.
This is part of a series, but each book can be read alone.
I have loved all of them.
Profile Image for Terre J.
415 reviews
February 1, 2018
Overall a great read, though a little silly at times. The h kisses the H at a fair, in order to avoid marriage to an evil Lord, resulting in a forced marriage. He agrees to not consummate the marriage, in order to allow for an annulment, and they plan to travel to her sister, where the evil lord malvern will be unable to get to her. Oh, and she survived an attack by a momma wolf when she was 9 or 10, so is scarred, and nicknamed “The Beast “. And he is of Scot descent, but doesn’t know his clan, but wants to know.
The evil Lord pursues them, resulting in clashes and narrow escapes. Told by a priest that his signet ring is Montgomery, they head for Montgomery lands, receiving an interesting mixed response when they arrive.
It was a decent read, and a couple I liked, though I doubt any child would survive a wolf attack, nor behave as our h does with the men of another clan. But it was a good story. May read the rest of the series.
Profile Image for Candy Briggs.
731 reviews9 followers
December 31, 2017
Brandt Pierce AKA Brandell Montgomery, is the stable master at Worthington Abbey in Essex. He went to a fair to look for horses. Lady Sorcha Maclaren was in in a paddock fighting with a sword and she won. She was like a warrior woman from old myths spoken of years ago.
I thoughly enjoy this story, it has everything, evil men, cowardly Lairds, great sword fights and traveling around Scotland. Actually they were trying to hide. The characters were believable, strong, fierce and loving. What they go thru will astound you. The authors did a great job, the tale is mesmerizing, keeps your interest and is very hard to put down. It is well written and flows smoothly. This book is definitely worth the time to read and you will not be sorry. I look forward to another book from these wonderful authors.
I received this ARC from Net Galley and voluntarily reviewed it.
Profile Image for Leah Green.
361 reviews26 followers
January 26, 2018
I truly enjoyed this novel. It was unexpected. I think the book cover through me off. I am not a fan of character covers. However I really loved this book. It is extremely well written. I was pleasantly surprised.

The female heroine is strong. Yet she has a softness to her. The Hero is fierce yet humble. The story is definitely gripping. The plot twists are well detailed and thought out. This book will keep you on your toes. All
the character's are well detailed. The story isn't ordinary.

I have never read this author before. But since having read this I will remedy that right away. I like her style. I highly recommend this book. Perfect for taking you out of the present and into the past. Miss Howard's book is the perfect time machine. Escapism.
Profile Image for Anna Swedenmom.
588 reviews1 follower
January 25, 2018
( My Scot, My Surrender by Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan) 5 Stars!!
Definitely a buy buy buy buy buy book! Even with all the myriad details in this book!
So here we go.......
Holy baby sweet corn slathered in butter!!! This book is an amazing work of art!! Gripping story-line with absolutely intriguing characters! This is a must have for anyone who adores Highlanders. You’ll find it impossible to put down! Having said that...... I will say this was a book not to be missed in many ways. Like a breath of fresh air this book was a delight! So... buy and definitely enjoy! I was given this book in return for an honest review. All words in this review are voluntary. Regards, Anna
Profile Image for Jennifer.
160 reviews
January 28, 2018
I'm a really big fan of these authors (Amalie Howard and Angie Morgan), and I really enjoyed this book. This story was slightly different from the rest of the series, as it felt like it was from a slightly earlier historical period than 1819, but was an action packed and fun read. I think Lady Sorcha Maclaren is one of my all time favorite heroines, as she is strong, intelligent, and loving, and despite being ostracize and labeled as "Beast" due to her scars, is able to turn that into a positive by making it also apply to her fearsome fighting skills.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange form my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Pat.
358 reviews
June 1, 2018
Two new authors for me! Two authors I will read again! I loved this story. Lady Sorcha might be scarred, but she is strong and fearless. Her plan to get out of a bad betrothal leads to some wild adventures and possibly a HEA. Brandt Montgomery does not see her scars but the fierce and brave woman that she is.

This story was emotional, suspenseful and very fast paced. It had a very complex plot and the characters were very well developed. I could not put this book down! It had everything that I love in a book - lots of action, suspense, humor, emotion and romance! This is a sure winner! I highly recommend it. I will be reading more from these two authors for sure!
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
January 19, 2018
Brandt loves to get a fire going within his woman, “we are married, Sorcha. We have slept together, multiple times.” He eyed her, enjoying her embarrassment. “Surely, you’re not going to turn into a proper, prissy maiden on me now?” There are times Brandt doesn't care whose around, or what's going on the man just wants his woman really close, "...Brandt couldn’t help himself. He reached for her arm and drew her down into his lap. “Brandt,” she gasped." I loved this book! I fell in love with Brandt.
1,760 reviews16 followers
April 1, 2018
This was a captivating book that had me gripped from the first page. It was full of adventure and action. I loved the fact that inspite of her injuries, Sorcha was such a strong, independent woman. Brandt was everything you would want in a hero, strong, caring and handsome. I enjoyed the developing relationship between them and their easy going banter. There are a few surprises along the way. I hadn’t read any of the other books in the series but this didn’t affect my enjoyment. I received a copy from Netgalley and have voluntarily reviewed and honestly reviewed it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 66 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.