Start by marking “The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)

The Husband List

(Effingtons #2)

London Spring 1818. An Unexpected Husband Lady Gillian Marley has two months before her thirtieth birthday to claim a hefty bequest from a distant American relative.
A Marriage of Inconvenience Lord Shelbrooke, Richard Shelton, tops the widow's list, but refuses to be chaste, and shares a secret with a French artist.
Published August 2000 by Avon Harper Collins (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Husband List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Husband List

Start your review of The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
Julianna
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lighthearted Regency Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" Like it's predecessor in the Effington Family & Friends series, The Husband List is a light-hearted Regency romance. It didn't tickle my funny bone quite as well, but it did have it's moments. It basically takes place concurrently with the first book of the series, with the same family gathering for the Roxborough Ride coming into play. In this one, we have Gillian, cousin to Pandora from the previous book, who is a widow. She loved her husband dearly and hasn't been wit
Elaine
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book started slow but towards the end I got pulled into the story and wasn't able to put the book down. I liked Gillian a lot, she's a terrific character. Richard was ok too although I really wanted to slap him in some parts of the story. The secondary characters were very likable too.
It was fluffy, quick read, nothing exceptional about it, but not bad either.
Valerie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Gillian proposes to Lord Slelbrook (Richard) to meet the requirements of her inheritance. She needs a husband with a title and he needs her money to restore his family's wealth that was squandered away by his father. In the beginning, it all seems like a simple business arrangement until they both realize their hearts are involved. I liked the premise of this story, and overall enjoyed the book. I only gave it three stars, because the theme of "Does he/she love me in return" was very repetitive ...more
Sophie ♥
Another boring historical lacking in depth and steam... I really hope Victoria Alexander's other books don't follow the same patterns as this one does... Although I kept suspect they will. How disappointing.
SSShafiq
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
When I picked up this book I did so because it was the blandest synopsis I had ever read. I’ve read books by Ms. Alexander before and found them quite fun so I was intrigued by this one to see what she would bring to the trope. And yes, I am an idiot!

Thankfully, this turned out to be a comedy of (deliberately) mistaken identity which was a zany read which was quite a lot of fun. Ms. Alexander continues to write breezy romances in the vein of comedy but she draws character with relata
Nath
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010, historical
Jessi
I wish I had tried to remember this book a little bit more before I bought it. This was never one of my favorites in the Effington series though it is a perfectly serviceable read.
The very beginning of the book has Gillian proposing marriage to Richard Shelton, Earl of Shelbrooke. She has been left an inheritance of magnificent proportions but can only receive it if she is married before she turns 30, which is in two months.
Richard is astonished, but intrigued. Gillian is his best friend'
Sharyn
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is happening simultaneously with The Wedding Bargain. Book 2 in the Effington saga, Lady Gillian, a widow for 8 years finds she must marry in 2 months to receive a very large inheritance . The man at the top of the list is an impoverished Earl. There are many interesting facts to this story, all centered around artists. Nobles aren't supposed to be artists and neither are women. Many must keep their secrets. The best one is that the Earl pretends to be a French Artist and then gets jea ...more
Judy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lady Gillian Effington Marley has been a widow for 8 years. She had no plans on remarrying until she found an Uncle left her a fortune, but she had 2 months to be married.

Her two best friends, men, helped put a list together. She did not know they were not serious. She chose the one man on the list who seemed she could marry, Richard Shelton, a reformed rake.

She approached him on the idea of a business marriage but he wanted the full marriage.

Etienne, an up an
Caz
This is the first book by this author that I've read. It was a completely random selection, and as a result, I'll definitely be seeking out more of her books. I thought that the characters were well-drawn, even the minor ones, although I felt that sometimes, the motives of the H&H were somewhat muddled and their decisions rather hurried.

All in all though, it was a good read. The sex scenes weren't especially graphic, but that didn't diminish their impact, and there was definitely
Chrissy
I really like Victoria Alexander's writing. I am enjoying reading the Effington series, but a lot of the books seem to center around the "does he/doesn't he?" theme and after a while it all seems very high school-ish. I'd love to give the books more stars since I love all the witty banter and humor, but the themes are becoming redundant and less enjoyable as the series goes on.
Jean
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Husband List was published in August 2000 and is in the Effington Family & Friends Series. I pulled her list of books from her website and found I have read seventeen of her forty-two books and novellas. Of course now I have found some more good books from her list to read. I ordered this book on Paperback swap and was delighted to find that it was a hard copy book with the original cover... see picture with pink roses. The new cover is a little more racey...Guy with open shirt.
In
Carmen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading so many historical romance novels, I thought nothing could surprise me anymore, but this Victoria Holt's series is surprisingly good and super fun.
I loved the courtship-seduction of Gillian by Richard, or was it the other way round?
HR-ML
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A re-read from June 2017.

A virile yet vulnerable man gave up his rogue-ish
ways to rebuild his family estate. He engaged in
physical labor IE roofing, harvesting. He assumed
the persona of an artist with the heroine & became
his own competition for her regard & affection.
Cherie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, regency
I thought it was quite silly.
Tanya
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring

Too much prose. At some times the dialogue didn't make any sense. Too repetitive. It seemed the author had a hard time making the relationship between the two believable.
MPSchaff
A well-executed but silly mashup of "marriage of convenience" and "mistaken identity" plots. The heroine was in the dark way too long to be believable.
Maura
Juliana Philippa
A delightful and enjoyable read - would be perfect if last three chapters were rewritten

Gillian is an almost-30 year old widow and is a wonderful heroine - intelligent, witty, strong-minded, and compassionate. Richard is an endearing hero - for five years he's been working hard to pull his family back from the brink of financial disaster that his father brought them to. He's mysterious, reserved, brooding, but also sweet, straightforward (usually), and friendly. Both characters were well-written
Heather
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Update 5/31/17
Still a fun story with not too much drama or a drawn out conflict. Richard is an admirable reformed rake, although he is very tame when we meet him in the story.
I wish we could have known more about Gillian's brother Thomas and the Effington's. That would have made her sometimes brazen personality more believable.

June 15, 2014
This was a fun read! Although it wasn't written in a style that was "British" enough for me, I liked the story and the characters. While widow G
Sylvain

An Unexpected Husband

Against her better judgment, Lady Gillian Marley needs to find herself a husband—and quickly. To claim her uncle's unexpected bequest she must marry by her next birthday, which leaves only two months to find a malleable mate. Topping her list of eligible candidates is the honorable Earl of Shelbrooke, yet one look at the very handsome but enigmatic nobleman and Gillian knows that cajoling him into a marriage of convenience will be hardly convenient at all.A Marriage of Inconven

Priyanka
The second book in the Effington series was not as enjoyable as the first one.

The Husband List is the story of Lady Gillian; the cousin of Pandora Trent (Effington) and the daughter of the Duke of Roxbourough, and Richard, the earl of Shelbrooke, who is penniless but yet an honourable man.

The plot was interesting: Gillian has a list of suitable husbands and Richard tops it. She proposes to Richard in the hopes of getting an inheritance from a long distance dead relative.
Mary Gramlich
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE HUSBAND LIST by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly

One should always make a list!

Caroline is searching for a love match as is her mother, problem is they have their sites set on different men. Caroline has always loved Jack Culhane an American millionaire as opposed to her mother’s choice Lord Bremerton, a titled Englishman.

When you are an independent woman regardless of the time period there is always someone to try and stop your forward motion. Caroline’s m
Debby
Lady Gillian Marley was widowed very young after a love match. Very independent, she hates depending on family for support. When an uncle in American dies and leaves his inheritance to her, it's a dream come true, except she has to marry by her 30th birthday - 2 months to claim it.

Richard Shelton is Earl of Shelbrooke & poor. His father left massive debts he's trying to pay off as well as caring for his 4 younger sisters and estate. He's painting under a French name and making sl
Princess Thuy
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm making my way through Victoria Alexander's Effington Family stories and this is the second book in the series. I liked this one much better than the first one because there wasn't as much angst as the first one. Their feelings were pretty straightforward even if it did take them a while to realize they were both in love. The hero Richard is pretty amusing, what with him being jealous of himself. You'll have to read the book to know what I'm talking about. But my favorite part of the story wa ...more
Denise
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved, loved, loved Richard, Earl of Shelbrooke. He was this impoverished lord, through no real fault of his own, and he is trying to do the best he can for his four sisters and aunt. He, with the help of his friend Thomas, have made a fake persona for him that is an artist. His paintings are selling well, but still not enough to repair his estate, etc. I loved the description of him on his roof fixing the shingles.
I liked Gillian, but she seemed too wishy washy. But they were great toge
Brittany
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I loved Gillian's independence and how she approached Richard and proposed to him. It was an good read on the romance side, I loved how Richard was living two lives as it were and how it ended with Gillian confusing him and playing with his mind! I didn't give this a 5 out of 5 because I felt something was wanting in the intensity of the romance. It was sweet but not as intense or as emotionally powerful as I wanted. I did love the twist at the end about the special paintings Gillian had though ...more
An Odd1
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-rate
Seduction? or courting? Pages of wiffle waffle, his and hers, skip. He didn't even smile in public, now they chuckle wildly together. And more. "And looked forward as well to a little hard work and a good deal of practice" p 366. Effington series means many friends and relations visit and chitchat.

He fakes a French accent, so his painting is done under alter ego. But when she exercises her continental lessons, he goofs, replies "Huh?". A little mask can never hide appearance, walk. Of course Ri
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: effingtons, owned
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gillian is a widow who needs a husband before her next birthday to gain an inheritance. Richard is a poor earl who is desperate to regain his family's honor, and of course the money his father lost frivilously. She has a list of potential husbands and Richard is at the top. At first it was meant to be a marriage in name only and a business arrangement, but the more they get to know each other love finds its way in. Golold read!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Always Proper, Suddenly Scandalous (Scandalous Seasons, #3)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • Captivated By a Lady’s Charm (Lords of Honor #2)
  • Brave New Earl (The Way to a Lord's Heart, #1)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)
  • Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)
  • Tremaine's True Love (True Gentlemen, #1)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • How to Romance a Rake (Ugly Ducklings #2)
  • Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress (Bachelor Chronicles, #5)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
  • The Reluctant Reformer

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
“Silly of me not to have realized it. One often finds Greek temples lurking in the woods of English estates. Sneaky things, temples.” 15 likes
“It wasn't as if she was terrified of heights, she simply preferred to be closer to solid ground, where words like plummet and plunge did not linger in her mind.” 11 likes