Start by marking “Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)” as Want to Read:
Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)

Let It Be Love

(Effingtons #11)

When New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander created the Effingtons, she introduced an irresistible clan. Now, meet her most unforgettable hero yet . . .

Dashing Jonathon Effington, the Marquess of Helmsley, has had more than one lady willingly fall into his arms. But he's so delicious none has ever complained at their inevitable parting. And while Jonat
Published October 25th 2005 by Avon (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Let It Be Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let It Be Love

Start your review of Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
Kim
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Same old, same old: enjoyable until the last 50 pages, when the dreaded last-minute-lovers-tiff-that-just-might-end-it-all saunters onto the scene:

HEROINE: You've LIED to me!
HERO: Yes, um, sorry, but I only did it 'cuz I loved you and I didn't know it yet.
HEROINE: I'm only an OBLIGATION to you!
HERO: No, not at all. I'm just, y'know, an idiot. Which I have, by the way, told you seventeen times in this novel. So you shouldn't be surprised, really.
HEROINE: I don't want to be an OBLIGATION, you dastard!
/>/>/>/>
Tory Michaels
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
If I weren't afraid of alcohol poisoning by the end of Chapter One, I would do a drinking game with this Author's books. The rules would be simple: every time a character murmured, muttered or spoke under their breath, take a shot. Since pretty much every page has one (or more) of those phrases I'd be trashed in no time.

That said, this was a decent enough story. Will continue reading her despite her over dependence on certain phrases.
Natalie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A pretty great Romance Novel. Just what I needed to escape the stresses of the holidays for a few hours. Funny in parts, silly in others, good characters, and just Christmasy enough without being completely cheesy. I think I'll read more by this author!
Pton
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
This series started off so promising with Wedding Bargain. I thought it was funny and clever. And so I was looking forward to reading the series and purchased a few of them. Unfortunately, none of them have come up to par with the first and all have been a bit unexciting to read.
Libby
Tracy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a drag. It would have been better if it were shorter by a hundred pages or so. Men don’t get together for drinks and talk about love. The romance between Fiona and Jonathan was a bore and so was their awful one time lovemaking.

It was good enough to finish, but not good enough to care about reading the rest of the series.
nssa
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was indeed funny. I love Fiona. She knows what she wants.
Mashael
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this romance novel, it was fun and exciting and most of all, the characters acted more like real people than in any other romance novel I’ve ever read. Most romance novels have a point at which you know the heroine is about to succumb to the hero for no real reason when if she had a brain, she wouldn’t. As I read this, that point came up and just as I’d sadly resigned myself to it, I turned the page to find her refusing him, giving sensible reasons, and going straight home. I was ...more
Maura
Amanda
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance lovers
Shelves: romance
I felt the need to open an easy romance after some of the heavier stuff I'd been reading lately, and on a whim, I picked this book up from the library.

Among a group of young bachelor's in England, Jonathon Effington is known for his annual Christmas Eve tryst, as well as his lack of desire to get married. That is, until he's propositioned by Fiona Fairchild, the cousin of his close friend, and a young woman in a dilemma over her father's will: she must marry if her dowry AND the dowries of her
Jessi
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Every year at the family Christmas Eve party, Jonathon Effington sets up an assignation. This year is different. This year, Fiona Fairchild has talked Jonathon's assignation into letting Fiona take her place. See, Fiona's father set up a will whereby, if Fiona doesn't marry, neither she nor her sisters will get their inheritance. An old romance trope, but it's okay. When Jonathon sees Fiona, he is immediately attracted to her, but he believes her to be an actress sent by his friends. When she pr ...more
Patria
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kate
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
While I enjoy that the heroes in Victoria Alexander's books tend to be emotional bumblers for the most part, I did not at any point believe that Jonathon read like a 32 year old Victorian man. This was complicated, as it usually is in Victoria Alexander's books, by a rational female character, in this case even moreso because Fiona was honest about her feelings hopes, and fears from the very get go (something which hasn't happened in any of the other Effington books I've read). I was glad, at le ...more
Sylvain

Dashing Jonathon Effington, the Marquess of Helmsley, has had more than one lady willingly fall into his arms. But he's so delicious none has ever complained at their inevitable parting, And while Jonathon's no stranger to passion of the flesh his heart has remained untouched. Until now... At each Christmas Ball, Jonathon selects a delectable lady to share the pleasures of the evening-after all, it's holiday tradition! But he is shocked to discover that his choice is replaced by and enchanting s

Judy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The last book of Effingtons. Looks like Last Man Standing Series is a continuation.

Back to 1853, Jonathan Effington, future Duke, has a perfect woman in mind. His friends are doing all they can to avoid marriage but Jonathan would not mind it. Oliver's cousin comes to live with them. She must get married to get her inheritance and she has her 3 younger sisters to think of. Oliver quickly sees that Fiona fits the image of what Jonathan considers the perfect wife. Only when reality is
Maggie
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I got this on audio and i fear the slow voice of the narrator only made the book drag on more. Randomly I read another Victoria Alexander book last week that was #3 of a series, this one is #11 of a series and it set up the other series. Both books had the same Daniel Sinclair character, this one he is arranged to marry a woman who is love with another and the other book he was arranged to marry a woman he loved and who wanted to marry him. It was strange to read these two books in different ser ...more
Salena Ross
Jul 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
I struggled to get through this. In all honesty, I skipped a section because I really just didn't care enough to read it. The plot was ridiculous, the characters were flat, the writing was boring. I've read books by this author and enjoyed them, but this was a complete flop. And that epilogue. Way to really seal the deal. Dear Ms. Alexander, just so you know, marriage doesn't mean you have to stop having friends.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Fiona is between a rock and a hard place in regards to her own and her sisters futures because of her decesased ding-bat father's will. Jonathan is a handsome, eligible bachelor who has a lot of experience with women but has never known love. Fiona proposes marriage to Jon, Jon proposes a scandalous scheme to make money for her, during their time together they fall in love, though neither of them admit it to each other until it is almost too late. Good read!!
Michelle
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
A cute romance with little bit of two forced premises: that Lydia had to marry as to not be the poor relation and support her sisters and their coming outs and that Jonathan wants to find the perfect woman, but when he does, he freaks about his freedom. Then more drama ensues, along with an erotic novel complete with drawings and assumptions about how far one will go to make things right. Not my favorite of the Effington novels, but it had its moments (usually when the h/h were arguing.)
April
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Such an entertaining tale, much farce!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series.
Eileen Hallam
Took me a while to get into this book only because of being busy. I generally know by the 5th chapter if I will continue reading a book. The book flows nicely and is a good read. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.
Patricia Solla
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Interesting historical romance. I like reading about British society and the class distinctions. Also how women were treated at that time. Family involvement and what's considered 'right' comes into play. The story held my interest throughout.
BJ Rose
I read Victoria Alexander's books about the Effingtons for their fluff and silliness. Altho I feel this series has deteriorated from the earlier books, it's still a relaxing read that I don't take seriously.
Julie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
A pleasant romance with a common theme of a damsel in distress and an honorable, handsome hero to the rescue. A quite entertaining entanglement innocently conspired with a quick-witted heroine who can spar words with the best.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Romance with a twist, Fiona is compelled to marry a man her father has chosen for her before her three sisters are allowed a dowery to marry. To her rescue might be Jonathon, Marquess of Helmsley. A quick, sweet, romantic read.
Mia Marlowe
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance readers
After hearing Victoria Alexander speak in San Francisco at the RWA Nationals last week, I was anxious to read her work. I was not disappointed. She is witty, fresh and delightfully entertaining.

I thoroughly enjoyed LET IT BE LOVE.
Doris
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an impulse buy...I dont regret it but not feelin like I need to read more. It was satisfactory at most, which isn't bad mind you. I'm most choosy when it comes to this genre.
Amos
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it
of Adlibris 6/30/3010 plan to start next 10.8.2010 c. 11:30 pm... finis at 1:02 am 10/12/2010
new word: tontine.
last page sounds like a lead into a new series.
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Jonathan admits that she's his perfect lady, yet doesn't want to marry her? I'm as confused as he claims to be. Not one of my favorites.
Sara
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
I believe this might be the final book to date in the Effington series--and it was very nice. It is so amusing how these folks always want to wait for "love."

• The Wicked Duke Takes a Wife (Boscastle, #9)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
  • How the Duke Was Won (The Disgraceful Dukes, #1)
  • A Wicked Lord at the Wedding (Boscastle, #8)
  • Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)
  • One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Dukes Behaving Badly, #3)
  • My Fair Duchess (Dukes Behaving Badly, #5)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • My One True Highlander (No Ordinary Hero, #2)
  • Why Do Dukes Fall in Love? (Dukes Behaving Badly, #4)
  • Seduced by His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • Taken By the Duke (The Pleasure Wars, #1)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
  • The Sinful Nights of a Nobleman (Boscastle, #5)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)