Start by marking “Doorways (Bermuda Jones Case Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Doorways (Bermuda Jones Case Files, #1)

Doorways

(Bermuda Jones Case Files #1)

There is more to the shadows than just darkness

The Otherside is located at the fringes of our world, hiding in plain sight and existing within our shadows. Shielded from humanity, the Otherside is watched over by the BTCO, a highly secret government agency, whose members all possess 'The Knack', a genetic anomaly that allows them to see this other world.

Franklyn 'Bermuda'
Published December 2017

To ask other readers questions about Doorways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doorways

Dianne
He didn’t ask to be ‘special’ or to possess a gift that has been more like a curse his entire life, but Bermuda Jones IS special, he DOES see what others can’t and he could very well be the last line of defense to prevent the “Otherside” from taking over the human side of existence. Deep withing the government is an agency so secret that few know of its existence. With the combined forces from both the Otherside and the human side, these secret warriors attempt to keep both worlds separate, but ...more
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I will openly admit to not being a big reader of fantasy/sci fi novels tending to opt more for crime/thrillers. With Doorways though, I actually get the perfect combination of both genres.

Bermuda is a quite a lonely soul. His gift/burden has left him cutting off all his loved ones as he is scared for their safety due to the world he lives and works in. He is very much misunderstood and prefers to keep himself to himself. You can’t help but feel great empathy for this man, through no fault of his
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have (shamefully) had Doorways on my TBR for a while, so I was delighted when the author contacted me to review it as it meant I could bump it straight to the top of Mount St. TBR! And it is safe to say I was not disappointed!

Doorways is a bit of a genre mash-up. There are elements of the supernatural running alongside a good old crime thriller/ mystery element. Usually I am a bit skeptical with books like this, but after broadening my reading horizons in 2017, I was looking forward to getting
Best Crime Books & More
Oh. My. God. I cannot believe how much I loved this book. I don't read Science Fiction and to be honest had no idea this book fell into that Genre. By the time it was in front of me and I started reading I actually groaned out loud AND rolled my eyes!!! Now having finished this in 2 sittings, I feel a little foolish. I mean, ME...reading Sci-Fi and LIKING IT?!?!?!?! So yes it seems I have a new genre to add to my 'like' list.

I have no previous knowledge on Sci-Fi books so am probably not the mos
Susan Hampson
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever get that feeling of being watched but no matter how hard you look there is nothing there? Well perhaps it isn’t just a feeling, perhaps it is an ‘other’ getting on with their business feeling like they are being watched but see nothing too. Now imagine that from being a small boy you could see things and some things could see you, yep I did say things because these are like the creatures in your worst nightmare and if you can see them you can touch them and if you touch them well the ...more
Shell Baker
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY DAYS what was I thinking.....I am always saying I read anything BUT Sci-fi, After reading this Robert Enright has made me see Sci-Fi in a whole different light. Doorways is mixed with crime so we get the mystery and thriller element in this exciting, action packed story making it the perfect combination.

I have to say what a wicked imagination the author has and delivers one hell of an engrossing read. I was hooked from start to finish devouring it in two sittings.

In this story we meet Be
Joanna Park
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bermuda has a rare gift. He can see 'others' monstrous beings from a world living in parallel to earth, called the Otherside. Even more impressive to those int he know is that he has been able to go to the Otherside and has returned. These skills make him one of the top agents at the BTCO, an organisation that monitors and corrects others activities on Earth. For this job he works alongside Argyle, an other that helps protect Earth from his own kind. Together they are a formidable team as they a ...more
Noelle
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in London, the reader is faced with loss, fear, the unexpected, sadness, love, betrayal, the pursuit of happiness, a hunter vs the hunted feel, good vs evil, loneliness and a journey to save the world. PHEW!

Although Urban Fantasy is not my usual genre, I do dabble in other genres now and then if a blurb captures my interest! What I LOVED about this book was that it mixed that fantasy element with crime fiction, so I ended up not being too far outside of my comfort zone at all! Woohoo! I foun
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Doorways is less than impressive, to put it mildly. I can’t say I hated it, because it was an easy and somewhat entertaining read. However, it runs up against (at least for it) two rather insurmountable obstacles. The tropes and the cliches. Basically nothing about this book felt at all original. Look, with all the books out there, it’s rare that something unique comes up. That’s fine. The mark of a good author is one who can use all the tropes and clichés and still give us a fantastic read. Rob ...more
Yvonne Davies
Working for Behind The Curtain Organisation(BTOC), Franklyn Jones, Bermuda to his friends, had a skill, he found missing people. Not people who just up-sticks and wanted a better life, but the ones who left no trace. Having a gift to see “Others” creatures from another world, he protected he was tasked to keep the peace between the two worlds. Working with Bermuda was Argyle, an Other who lived on earth and worked with the humans. Most of their mission were easily solved, but when a high number ...more
Jannelies
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
From the age of 12 till about 45, Science Fiction was a big part of my life. I attended numerous SF-conventions and even became editor of a magazine (that was first published in 1965 and still exists). I've met a lot of my favorite authors too. Then, there came a time all that was published, was Fantasy - and I don't like Fantasy so much. I begun reading more and more thrillers and even the occasional chicklit.
So here I am. Reading a book that ticks almost all boxes!
Doorways is a bit of SF. A
Kate
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Science Fiction is not a genre I tend to read very often, the speculative nature of the genre jars with my analytically driven mind and I find that I don't enjoy these books as much. That being said, when I heard about Robert Enright's Doorways I was intrigued enough to give it a try, the idea that there was a thriller/mystery woven into the Sci-Fi plot was enough to tempt me into giving it a go.

The protagonist Franklyn "Bermuda" Jones is an interesting character, one that possesses a gift (more
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant read! I loved the excitement, detail and character put into this book. It was written so well and really pulls you in from the moment you start reading.

I loved getting to know Bermuda and Argyle. Reading along as the two interacted, working to solve the mystery at hand, I liked seeing how their relationship grew and changed. They have a brilliant, shared sarcasm and competitiveness. They worked well together,even as things started to change, as they uncovered the secret beh
BeckieG
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Robert Enright book and I'll admit, not my usual genre. Did pick it up and put it down every few pages thinking it really wasn't 'my thing' but am so glad I persevered.... it was a great read!!!

The plot, the details, the questions all answered were amazing!

Bermuda is such an enigma, he really entices you into wanting to know more about him and understand him. He's moody, dark and mysterious with a curse he cannot escape. My only issue with Bermuda is his incessant need to chai
Bill Tiberius Green
I read this a few months ago, and I've taken my time putting down this review.
I had split feelings about this read, and continue to do so.
In the beginning I liked the character development and where I thought the story was going. The BTCO agents are a few humans who have the ability to communicate with the Otherside, ghostly beings in another time and dimension.
Again I liked the early development but, in time, found it hard to take the story seriously. And the slow build up, to a major fight be
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)

WilcoWilkings
I was caught in two minds about posting review on this but here goes.
I wanted to give this at least three and a half stars, and if you are less picky than me... I recommend it for a fun story, a good tortured main character and a somewhat novel take on the fantasy genre. The villain is also quite memorable and well done.

The main reason I have to mark it down though is after the first quarter of the book the typos or correctly spelled but incorrect words being used really got to me to the point I
Louise White
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made a refreshing change for me, whilst I enjoy most genres I find myself often reading romance novels. Whilst this story touches the surface of romance and love, its main theme is that of sci-fi, fantasy and crime/thriller.

The main lead character is Bermuda, a bitter young man but one with a gift, a gift that dominates his life. What I liked about Bermuda was that he seemed so genuine. In fact the whole setting was a London that I know.

Well written, this was one story where I had mom
Jacqueline Evans
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the start, this book pulled me in...a hidden world parallel to our own; a secret government agency watching over events and 'keeping the balance' certainly made for a fascinating read. The main character Bermuda has the ability to interact with both worlds, working alongside his Warrior team mate, Argyle, who is invisible to those that don't possess 'The Knack' to 'see'. Together, they are assigned to several mysterious 'missing persons' cases. I loved both characters, finding the banter be ...more
Bekki Pate
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew I would like this book after the first couple of pages - it has everything I love in a book - the supernatural and monsters, a handsome yet troubled hero, and the fact that all this happens in the real world, rather than some wildly fantastical place that doesn't exist.
I loved the back story of the main protagonist, and his stoic side-kick. It was such an intriguing, mysterious story that reminded me of a mix between Constantine and Supernatural.
It kept a good pace throughout the book - i
Gerard
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the premise and set up, but not sure the second half was as good. Never really understood why the end of the world was at stake!
Derith Rolfe
Interesting

Maybe not my thing but I did enjoy it. Written by a man who obviously appreciate s good ale. Bermuda and Argyle have a unique relationship, as one of them is invisible to most humans. And apparently that is the safest way.
Good fun
Matt Blackburn
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Robert Enright’s first paper novel, Detective Bermuda Jones and his sometimes bemused assistant, Argyle, find themselves defending the world from a catastrophic collision with the hellish ‘Otherside’.

Intrigue grabs you from the off. The filmic fluidity of Enright’s writing keeps the narrative punchy, and the action springs effortlessly from the page. The story is excellently paced, and as you follow Bermuda’s investigation, more is gradually revealed about the world he inhabits.

Joining Bermud
Jill Elizabeth
I loved the cover art, the description, the title – I love world-behind-the-world books. I’m fascinated by the concept of a secret connection between worlds/experiences of the world, and really enjoy reading different authors’ spins on explaining the inexplicable. I’m generally a fan of the anti-hero, who struggles to save both the world and himself. Yet despite all that, this one only gets a mediocre recommendation in the end…

I quite liked the start and set-up. The underlying concept – that som
Sonya Alford
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Franklyn 'Bermuda' Jones was born with the ability to see the truth; a gift and also a curse. Declared insane by psychiatrists, Bermuda was admitted to hospital for three months. The only human to have passed to The Otherside and returned, he is now an agent for the BTCO, a highly secret government agency. Bermuda is stuck between both worlds and pining for the life he has had to leave behind. Everyday things which pe
Graham McGhie
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!
This is a superb fantasy thriller. I found it took a few chapters to get into, but afterwards I could hardly put it down. Packed full of action (and "Others"), the book falls into the fantasy genre but possesses a certain frightening plausibility, mainly I suspect because most incidences occur at locations familiar to many of us. It is based around the concept of two different dimensions existing on Earth, invisible to one another, knowledge of which is known to but a few and portals bet
Louise
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a book that you thought should be a film? Well that's how I felt about Doorways. From the moment I started reading I was hooked and my family were neglected.

I do not normally read science fiction but have followed this author since reading his first novel One by One which is in the crime fiction genre. Knowing how much I enjoyed his first book I wanted to give a new genre a go and can honestly say that I would read sci-fi again based on this novel.

Knowing how graphic and detai
Susan Angela Wallace
Doorways by Robert Enright is a mystery and thriller and sci-fi and fantasy read.
The Otherside is located at the fringes of our world, hiding in plain sight and existing within our shadows. Shielded from humanity, the Otherside is watched over by the BTCO, a highly secret government agency. BTCO agents are the few humans who possess 'The Knack', a genetic anomaly that allows them to see the truth of existence. Franklyn 'Bermuda' Jones is the BTCO's finest agent, the only human to have passed to
Kit
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, a couple of disclaimers; I had a review copy of Doorways via Netgalley, where it was a featured title & I have met the author previously in real life (nice chap, I'm relieved the book was good).

I really enjoyed Doorways from the outset, a well-built world with characters you can understand/care about quickly - I'm looking forward to reading more Bermuda Jones stories and would recommend Doorways.

It's an Urban Fantasy novel set in modern London - If you imagine a setting in a bro
Nic
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only other 'sci fi' books I've ever read were The Hunger Games series which were amazing. Other than those, this is not my genre of choice at all.

However I read this after seeing some five star reviews and recommendations.

This book was interesting and intriguing and the descriptions have me a real sense of the characters and the suspense of the Others and their dark world.

Bermuda was a great character (although I'm not sure we needed quite so many descriptions of his tattoos!)

The book was e
« previous 1 3 next »

Bermuda Jones Case Files (2 books)
  • The Absent Man (Bermuda Jones Case Files, #2)