Start by marking “El metodo del Doctor Aluitran y el Profesor Pluma” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
El metodo del Doctor A...

Edgar Allan Poe

El metodo del Doctor Aluitran y el Profesor Pluma

Deux nouvelles pour trembler et sourire extraites des "Histoires sérieuses et grotesques".
Published November 30th 2005 (first published January 3rd 1844)

To ask other readers questions about El metodo del Doctor Aluitran y el Profesor Pluma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El metodo del Doctor Aluitran y el Profesor Pluma

Brian
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I know Poe meant this to be funny, but it creeped me out so badly I almost quit. The atmosphere disturbed me deeply. The setting got to me. It reminded me of stories I've heard of demons dressing as a high court people of honor and dining with soon to be supper or evil, nasty trolls in human skins having a tea party and looking with lust and thirst of blood at the guest of honor.

It centers on a mental asylum. This guy, for whatever crazyass reason, wants to visit an insane asylum. The people in
Thomas
A comedic and dark short story about an unnamed narrator who visits a mental institute and partakes in a lavish dinner before things go awry. The narrator realizes alongside the reader that as his time at the hospital elongates, so does the suspicious behavior exhibited by the dinner guests, which leads to trouble. Soon, the soothing system discussed by Monsieur Malliard, the owner of the institute, comes into question.

Poe does a wonderful job of interspersing foreshadowing and bits of specific
Matt
I read this story in the German translation by Arno Schmidt in preparation for the uber-reading of Zettels Traum / Bottom’s Dream in which large parts deal with the translation of E. A. Poe into German.

An unnamed narrator is traveling the southern provinces of France when he decides to visit a nearby private “mad-house”, called Maison de Santé, of which he heard in Paris. There he is met by the director of the facility who promises to show his guest around and to explain the treatment of the
Bionic Jean
The System of Dr Tarr and Professor Fether (1845) is one of Poe's lighter comedies, although still quite black. It is an example of one of Poe's stories which he submitted to the public as an essay. The narrator is journeying in the South of France, and is recommended by his travelling companion to visit a particular mental institution which they will shortly be passing. This institution has impressed his companion because of its revolutionary new method of treating mental illness by a so-called ...more
Yani
Este es uno de esos cuentos de Poe que apuntan al humor, sin perder el tono oscuro que lo caracteriza. Lo empecé porque alguien me habló de The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether gracias a una versión cinematográfica y me interesó.

A un caballero sin nombre (típico) se le ocurre recorrer un asilo para pacientes con problemas mentales. Lo acompaña una persona a la cual conoce en el viaje, pero éste se resiste a entrar y se va, lo cual demuestra un poco la mala impresión que los "normales"
Hind
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humoursly creepy encounter at a looney bin in the 19th century. I had expected for some reason that it'll have a more ghastly finish to it but I was rather engaged, entertained and satisfied by this midnight time read. Extremely well-written, dark, comedic and deeply intriguing, it the type of horrifying excellence you'd expect from Poe.
Katri
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lõbus lugu hulludest, kes valitsevad hullumaja. Hullud võivad olla ohtlikult reserveeritud, kavalad ning näida esmasel tutvumisel isegi intelligentsetena. Kui peaksid sattuma mõnda sellist asutust külastama, siis ära ole kindel, et arst või ülejäänud "hullusid põetav personal" on need kelleks end nimetavad. Soovitan kindlasti vaadata ka jutustuse põhjal tehtud filmi 'Stonehearst Asylum'.
Catherine  Mustread
Humorous though condescending (not politically correct) look at the staff of an asylum and whether the inmates or the staff are the most insane. Good word play in the title which does not become clear until the ending.
Andrei Tamaş
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un altfel de Poe.
Mi-a stârnit câteva zâmbete.
Samin Mehrasa
Sep 09, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samin by: Hosna
Shelves: seen-movies
دیوانه ای، برای دستیابی به هدف خود، با توهم رویارویی با عده ای به اصطلاح، عاقل، در با نقاب عقل، به جمع آنان پای می نهد، و نهایتا می فهمد: همه ی اطرافیان او نیز دیوانگانی چون او بوده اند....با نقاب.... با ادعای سلامت روان
کتاب را نمی دانم، اما فیلم را که ببینید، شوکه خواهید شد، تعجب خواهید کرد، در لحظاتی وحشت می کنید و در لحظاتی لبریز از لذت خواهید شد.... .
داستانی بدیع و خلاقانه.
قصه ای که در آن، دیوانگان بر تیمارستانی حاکم اند و پزشکان و روانشناسان در قفس!
داستانی که در آن غالب شخصیت ها دروغین اند
Zeljka
Excellent short story worth reading, especially after watching Stonehearst Asylum.
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Poe was such a genius that its mind boggling at times. I actually have never found a copy of this but just read about it in Ghostland. I probably would not be able to read it as I hate psychiatrists and other mental health professionals. Reading this part of the book where they abuse the mentally ill is hard as these things HAVE NOT STOPPED. People are such ostriches.
Michael Kress
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 1800s
This story is about a guy who decides he wants to visit an insane asylum, just to see what it's like and to say that he's been to one. Sounds like a fun time, huh? Of course this is a perfect topic for a short story by Edgar Allan Poe. His friend who told him about it is too scared to go, so he decides to go by himself, even though it looks pretty creepy at the entrance. He meets the superintendent at the door, who proceeds to show him around. He explains that they use a 'soothing system' to tre ...more
Deni Ciubotaru
After I watched Stonehearst Asylum I knew I had to read this short story, especially after I've seen that it is written by Poe.
Indeed it's a lighter book compared to his others but he knew how to keep his somber effect even through a "humorous" book...because such a cleverness (when the plot twist is revealed) can steal a few smiles from you.
Jess
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An original plot told in a light, whimsical manner. The story plays with the concepts of madness and normalness, as the protagonist is lead by one Monsieur Maillard through a mental asylum. You can really see what's coming in this short story, but it makes it no less entertaining.
areadersjourney
I had to read this after watching Stonehearst Asylum...
which was good by the way. Different characters but a
similar storyline. It was a short...quick read through
that I found here- http://poestories.com/read/systemoftarr
definitely a goodread if you are a Edgar Allan Poetry fan.
Marshall
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poe can write a comedy? Who knew?

A fun read with slap in your face clues that the narrator misses.
Joshua Shioshita
Insane asylums are the perfect locations for all manner of horror and grim tales. This isn't one of those though. This one is a funny little jab at the mental health institutions of the age, a topical subject at the time. It's funny that this was then adapted into a straight up horror thriller movie seeing as how the source material was so tongue in cheek. Definitely worth a read though.
Marshall Wayne Lee
The clues are all there, slapping the reader in the face.

Ok, it isn't that bad. But it kind of is. I never knew Poe wrote comedies. I think this one is a good fun comedy as the reader reads the story and thinks: ok guy are you not going to get this? are you not going to figure it out?

It's a fun read.
Carole Rae
I'll admit...I watched the movie rendition of this short story. However, I didn't know it was based off Mr Poe's story (the title is NOT the same at all). What can you do you know?

This one was super, super short. I wish it was longer. There was so much more that could have been added. However, I must admit...the last page leaves so much to interpretation. Anything could have been assumed. Normally, I'm not a fan of open-ended stories, but this was pretty good and I liked it.

Mmmm, not much else
Savannah Stacks
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether" is one of Poe's lighter comedies, but there are still aspects of it that will make you cringe. An unnamed narrator visists an insane asylum and partakes in an all-meat dinner before things take a twisted turn. He has his suspicions about the institution while visiting, but they are not confirmed until the very end.
Edgar Allen Poe foreshadows and gives specific details throughout the text to build anticipation and create a vivid picture of the hospita
Chris Johnson
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after watching the movie upon which it is based: Stonehearst Asylum. The written story is shorter than the movie, but I found it entertaining still.

It foreshadows well, the reader gently(?) understanding along with the narrator what happened. I enjoyed it because Poe has taken the old "night in a haunted house" and changed it to a "night in an asylum". That makes it more real, shifting the reader into something more horrific because of its believability.

It's old but worth reading.
Moataz Ibrahim
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
شفت الفيلم الأول اللي بيستند لأحداث القصة دي قبل ما أقراها. طبعا كنت متوقع أشوف فيلم رصين مش علشان إنه فيه بين كينجسلي وكيت بكنسايل، لكن علشان مستوحي من أحد كتابات إدجار آلان بو، واحد من أعظم الكتاب اللي ولدوا علي هذه الأرض.
حبكة القصة رائعة بالطبع وفيها تحولات درامية كتير, الفيلم مش ماشي علي السياق الحرفي للقصة، لكن الاتنين في مجملهم رائعين جدا.
Moataz Ibrahim
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amina
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, we can say that it took our friend quite some time to realise what was really going on, he seriously din't see it coming :D
A story about a"Maison de santé" ruled by some special staff, no spoilers, enjoy the reading ;)
Concertina
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cock-a-doodle-de-doooo~
Khouloud Essid
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When madness becomes sanity and sanity is just a mere madness.Actually people tend to underestimate the power of madness, only because of fear and the unknown.But this story is needed for awakens to all those who cannot really differentiate between the two.As Paulo Coelho once said" collective madness is called sanity".That's what the story about, when you are different the society banishes you and sees you as an abomination, you have no place but to adapt.Yet this book gives you an other way to ...more
Andrew kutz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was such a weird story but even tho I know some things that the protagonist didn't I was still shocked about the ending even tho it was right there the hole time. I will say the protagonist was very dumb, all the way up to the end he didn't catch things that where going on. but it was a really good read I recommend this book its not long you will get done in no time.
Ahmad Odeh Alzawahreh
أثناء قراءتي للقصة لمعت في ذهني بعض اللقطات من فيلم Shutter island والتشابه يكمن في غموض كلا من القصة والفيلم وطابع البطل المليء بالشكوك ولكن طبعاً الراوي هنا صحيح العقل على عكس بطل الفيلم وعكس من معه على المائدة في المصح أيضاً .
قصة جيدة ومشوقة ذات طابع يسحبك إلى مكان آخر مجنون ومريب .
Nugzar Kotua
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Незатейливая в своём абсурде история, но она будет интересна любителям Эдгара Аллана По. Прекрасный язык.
Books2Movies Club: Stonehearst Asylum 9 23 May 07, 2016 11:00AM
  • Farewell to the Master
  • The Witch
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2012
  • Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher
  • Cellmates (Southside collection)
  • Ponies
  • Starlight
  • Memento Mori
  • Eveline
  • De Profundis, The Ballad of Reading Gaol & Other Writings
  • The Best of the Best Horror of the Year: 10 Years of Essential Short Horror Fiction
  • The Swimmer
  • Dialogue entre un prêtre et un moribond
  • Bryant & May and the Secret Santa (Bryant & May, #11.5)
“I was cautious in what I said before the young lady; for I could not be sure that she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not.” 23 likes