Start by marking “Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard” as Want to Read:
Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard

Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard

The follow-up to Raintree's sparkling debut Perfectly Undone, MIDNIGHT AT THE WANDERING VINEYARD brilliantly meshes the provocative relationship fiction of Jennifer Weiner with the nuanced family dynamics of Karen White in this story of a young woman who reconnects with her estranged best friend to complete their teenage bucket list, but the man who came between them years ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard

Start your review of Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard
Berit☀️✨
Beautiful cover. Beautiful setting. Beautiful story.

Jamie Raintree will whisk you away to central California wine country in this lovely story packed with friendship and love. This is a book about forgiveness, family, and finding out who you are. This is the perfect escapist read to take you away after a hard day. So... poor yourself a glass of wine, get comfortable in your favorite reading spot, and transport yourself to the beauty that is wine country.

Can you ever go home again? Mallory is
Holly  B

My first by the author and I am happy to report that I loved it!

It was the perfect book to cozy up to with my favorite glass of Merlot. The vineyard setting and whimsical touches made it an easy read. It was just the escape that I needed. Her writing flowed nicely with "just enough" details to make it immersive.

A perfect blend of women's fiction/chick-lit and a bit of romance that had me wanting to get back to this one and find out if Mallory would follow her heart. Fingers crossed there will be
Mackey
Another one that I got from the library so this is just a quick little write up and not a full review. If you're in the mood for a very light read without any deep connections, a story about friendship and light romance then this is fine. The writing was good, the characters likable, not very deep but okay, the relationships never really caught on for me but it was such a quick read that I'm not sure it mattered. If I needed something to read at the beach or by the pool, this would be perfect.
Zoe
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evocative, affecting, and heartfelt!

Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard is a heartwarming, touching story that immerses you in a tale about confronting the past, taking risks, being true to one’s self, following your heart, and the importance of never losing sight of your own wants, needs, and dreams.

The writing is vivid and impassioned. The characters are flawed, genuine, and endearing, And the plot is an exceptionally absorbing tale about life, loss, heartbreak, forgiveness, friendship, family,
Amy
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
3.5/5

It was love at first sight for me as soon as I saw this stunning cover, I had a feeling that with a cover this beautiful the inside would have to be just as gorgeous and I was right, this was a really lovely story about forgiveness, family and doing what makes you happy.

One of the things I enjoy most about the authors books is her ability to create realistic characters with messy lives and histories that could be any one of us. Mallory is back home for the first time in ten years and she di
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
The prodigal daughter comes home. wanting to reevaluate and make right the issues and mistakes of her past Mallory uses a gathering at her parents home as an opportunity to set things right... or at least try. So many things within the pages of MIDNIGHT AT THE WANDERING VINEYARD by Jamie Raintree make this a perfect read for the upcoming spring and summer. Especially if you're a fan of romancing about college days of youth and looking on things with more mature eyes.

I really enjoyed the writing
Dawnny
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
4 stars
Mallory and Kelly are best friends sharing everything until, Mallory meets Sam. The summer that changes everything. After ten-years Mallory is back home longing to connect and make amends with Kelly. A touching heart felt story of friendship, secrets, heartache and forgiveness. A wonderful debut.
Dawnny Ruby-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Blog
Novels & Latte Book Club
Lorilin
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
Mallory hasn’t been back to visit her hometown in ten years. She left California on the heels of two major setbacks: first, a break up with her then quasi-boyfriend, Sam; and second (and more devastating) a massive fight with her lifelong best friend, Kelly. Unable to deal with the emotional fallout, she left for school and never looked back. Now she’s a successful marketing exec in New York, adored by her boss and about to be promoted. She’s successful. And happy. Well, mostly.

Unfortunately, he
Laura • lauralovestoread
Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard sucked me in with the beautiful cover! This may be the case of don’t judge a book by its cover, but while there were things I enjoyed about this book, I just didn’t love this one!

A story of self discovery through friendship, family and these were the aspects I loved best, and what draws me into this genre. I was looking for a light fuzzy romance and maybe that’s where it fell flat for me.

*Thank you to netgalley and Graydon Publishing for this complimentary boo
Leigh Kramer
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’ve followed me for a while, you know I love books that explore friendship. The good, the bad, and the ugly—I’ll read it all. I was highly intrigued when I saw this one took the angle of making our main character the one who did her friend wrong. Mallory left her small hometown for NYC ten years ago and she hasn’t been back since but when she comes back to celebrate a milestone at her family’s vineyard, she has the chance to make things right.

I was here for this. Mallory and Kelly were bes
Jacqueline Francis
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes you read a book and you don’t know what you’re going to get. With this one, I was expecting more romance, but it turned out to be a story of family and friendship, and that’s okay! I enjoyed this story a lot. It did fall flat for me at times. There were instances where I couldn’t picture the characters or the setting, and that was hard. It was also difficult for me to grapple with the main character not wanting to stay in such a beautiful setting! However, it was a good story.

I receiv
angelareadsbooks
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Mallory returns home for a short trio after being gone for 10 years. As this story unfolds we learn about what happened between Mallory and Kelly, the last summer before college. And why after a summer fling, Sam and Mallory parted ways.

This is the story of friendship and family and self discovery. Can you ever go home? And can the past be repaired.

I enjoyed the setting of this story. And it was definitely what drew me to it. I appreciated how Mallory grew as a person during this story. And wh
Patty
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Midnight at Wandering Vineyard by Jamie Raintree is my first book by this author, and I enjoyed it. It hooked me in from the first page. It was filled with drama and emotional roller coasters. I plan on reading this author's other book, Perfectly Undone. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good drama.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher. Thank you.
Amanda B
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Andrea
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The gorgeous cover and promise of wine country drew me into this book. I’m not quite sure what I was expecting, but everything about this book was perfect and refreshing. Growing up is hard. Navigating friendships, romantic relationships and parental relationships is hard. This book was so down to earth and I loved it for that.
Amy Lynn
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Mallory is returning home to the vineyard after many years away. Having been thru so much in her time away she is now faced with her past, memories and old familiar faces she once had tried to push from her memory. Kelly her longtime friend have not spoken in years. Slowly they begin to grow closer again and decide to embark on completing their bucket list they created as youngsters.

A lighthearted quick read. Friendships and family and of course lots of wine!
Hannah
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, giveaways
Thank you goodreads for an ARC of this book!

My goal of 2019 was to be able to quit a book if I wasn't enjoying it. This was going to be the first book I did that on...but for some reason, I kept going...and wow...I'm absolutely glad I did! If you can make it through the protagonist's first 50 pages where she complains and whines...you'll find she really does turn it around! She faces challenges and mends and builds relationships that feel completely real and understandable. In fact, I cannot wai
Ruby
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story of friendship, forgiveness, and learning from one's mistake... Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard is a sweet emotion ride on the twisted turns of a roller coaster. It brings together a gorgeous vineyard, the woman it raised, and her best friend who was estranged all because of a boy. When Mallory returns home, she yearns to make amends with Kelly after lies and secrets pulled them apart, but with the return brings a reason they broke up in the first place and a host of things could go ve ...more
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Thank you to NetGalley, Graydon House, and Jamie Raintree for an ARC ebook copy to review. As always, an honest review from me.

Like:
- Mallory’s relationship with her ex best friend - it shows that through communication you can reconcile some differences. A very mature way of dealing with the situation that sets a good example
- Not all just sappy unrealistic romance

Love: —

Dislike:
- The age difference - yes they’re both adults but she just graduated high school and he’s been out of college for 2
Paula Ackley
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that if I hadn't read it I wouldn't be missing anything. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't that good. The storyline was long, plodding and slow. Any meaning, insight or enjoyment of the book was almost lost in the pages of Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard. Mallory is one of those people that got out of the small town but the small town never got out of Mallory even though she's lived in NYC for 10 years. Many people never forget their first love but to compare EVERY man ...more
Christine Moore
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Mallory and Kelly have been best friends since elementary school. They are more like sisters than best friends. In the summer before they leave for college they make a summer bucket list. As they were doing all their fun things, Sam came to town. Mallory spent a lot of time with Sam almost forgetting their bucket list. Mallory and Kelly have a huge fight and Mallory goes off to college without Kelly. 10 years later, Mallory comes back to town to try and fix her relationship with Kelly. Her famil ...more
Seema Rao
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Realistic ~ Unanticipate ~ Empowering

tl; dr: Girl returns to California vineyard where she grew up and runs into an old flame.

Romance novels often play up the second chance romance trope. Without any spoilers, this book plays with that second chance romance trope in an enjoyable and unanticipated manner. The California wine country (Paso Robles) is depicted fairly well, and the main character is appealing. But, the real charm of this book is the complexity of the plot and the surprising turns.
Kathleen
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
t’s been 10 years since Mallory has been home to visit. She takes the 20-year anniversary of her parents’ vineyard as the reason to return. While there she re-evaluates her past and relationships with others. She tries to figure out who she is and wants to be and sets out to rebuild or put to rest some past relationships. She wants to reconnect with her ex BFF and figure out if they can rebuild their relationship.

She doesn’t always make the right decisions but don’t we all make a mistake or two
Kate (kate_reads_)
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ten years ago, Mallory left her family’s home at a vineyard in CA to attend college in NYC and has barely been back since. That last summer before college ended with a big fight with her best friend Kelly and they haven’t spoken since.

Now that Mallory is back for a week to visit - it’s her chance to see if she can make things right again with the friend who was always more like a sister. We see alternating timelines between the present and what happened during that summer ten years ago.

This is a
Nichole
Jan 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Holy crap, on what list was I looking when I added this to my "want to read" pile? In all fairness to the author, I am no fan at all of cheesy romance, and I've never even bothered with reading the description of a harlequin book, but here I am in stunned disbelief. I kept thinking something tragic would happen and add some drama that I actually cared about, but it never came. The characters were boring, the plot was boring, and I was neither convinced that she was an in-demand marketing wiz, no ...more
Julie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book makes me want to climb back on a horse and go on some trails. The beautiful vineyard setting didn’t hurt the situation either. Mallory left her family’s vineyard 10 years ago to pursue college and then a career in NYC but while she left on good terms with her parents, the rest of her relationships were in turmoil. She’s made good but something in her heart still hurts.

She goes back for a planting party where she’ll try to make amends with her former best friend, Kelly. What she didn’t
Pam
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for ARC. 2.5 ⭐️ Yikes I just read Synopsis...this is nothing like Jennifer Weiner. Not even close. Formulaic Story girl grows up on vineyard/farm etc. Moves away but realizes she belongs back home or a place like it. Additionally, the main character’s thought process was inconsistent— empathetic and remorseful but then petty, even bitchy. This unevenness made it hard to have any connection with or empathy for her. Sadly, this wasn’t very good for me,
Bin Blogs Books
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mallory, on the cusp of a big promotion, goes home to attend a family gathering in hopes of finally closing a few doors to her past; hoping to finally be happy. The author takes you through a coming of age of sorts seem through the lens of maturity and brings readers to a beautifully picturesque setting to do so.
Alysha Blackburn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
3.5/5 Picked this book up because of the cover and the beautiful artwork on it. Hello wine!! Easy read.. some parts left unresolved, which made me wanting more... which in turn could be a good thing. Overall a good book to waste some time with.
Susan Burlew
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
A wonderful story about family and relationships. Mallory goes home to visit her family at their vineyard in California. She has been living in New York for ten years and has only been home for a few brief visits. Growing up her best friend was Kelly. They had a huge fight right after graduation and haven't spoken since then. A big part of her visit is to try to mend their friendship. The story flips between the present and ten years ago. Mallory tries to come to terms with some bad decisions an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Summer Cottage
  • A Beach Wish
  • Drawing Home
  • The Vineyards of Champagne
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • The White Russian
  • Summer Hours
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • One Summer in Paris
  • The Last Resort
  • Swimming for Sunlight
  • The Cottage on Rose Lane
  • The Curiosities
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • The Unbreakables
  • The Military Wife (Heart of a Hero, #1)
  • One Night at the Lake
Author of Perfectly Undone and Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard, Jamie Raintree is voracious student of life, which is why she became a writer, where she could put all that acquired information to good use. She is a mother of two, a wife, a businesswoman, a nature-lover, and a wannabe yogi. She also teaches writers about business and productivity. Since the setting is always an important part of ...more

News & Interviews

“The truth is, I don't know how to talk to Sam. When he first arrived here, I was too starstruck to relax around him, and as the summer went on, I censored myself more than I would like to admit, always trying to say the right thing to get him to notice me, avoiding anything that would make him shut down.” 0 likes
“Take what people give you and let that be enough. Because people usually give all they're capable of giving, the way they're capable of giving it, and expecting more than that is just setting the relationship up to fail.” 0 likes