Start by marking “One Night at the Lake” as Want to Read:
One Night at the Lake

One Night at the Lake

A tragedy on a hot summer night at a lake house forever alters the lives of two best friends--and the man they both love. But the truth isn't as simple as it appears in this intricate novel of love, friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness in the tradition of Miranda Beverly-Whittemore's Bittersweet.

Leah Tessaro has been waiting for this moment for a long time: Her boyfriend,
Published June 18th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about One Night at the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night at the Lake

Kendall
This was my first read by Bethany Chase and can see why she has so many fans!

What happens when two best friends fall in love with the same man after one tragically dies? For some reason, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the subject of this story. The ending and overall confusion of the story just rubbed me the wrong way especially with one of the best friends dying who loved the same man.

Please don't go into this story thinking that it's a thriller because it's NOT. It's women's ficti
Theresa Alan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a women’s fiction novel with romantic elements and some mystery. The book is told from the alternating points of view of two women who became best friends when they were twelve. When Leah tells her part of the story, it is seven years earlier, before she died. We know it happened at the lake where her boyfriend’s parents had a place, but we don’t know the exact circumstances of how she died. When June tells her story, she’s now engaged to Ollie, the man Leah thought she was going to marr ...more
Kerry
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a fan of Bethany since her debut. Her writing is captivating. She always draws me deep into her stories and she’s an expert at crafting characters that come to life for her readers. They’re real, facing very current and complex situations. I loved ONE NIGHT AT THE LAKE and think it's her best yet, with an atmospheric setting and relatable characters with a gradual suspense masterfully woven into the plot that culminates to one night at the lake. A perfect book for summer!
Jamie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars for Bethany Chase’s One Night at the Lake!

Having read and enjoyed The One That Got Away by Chase a few years back, which I would said falls most solidly into the women’s fiction category, I was a bit surprised to see this one being billed as more of a thriller. But then again, authors change genres so I went in with an open mind - being a fan of both genres, I braced myself for either outcome. I will say, despite the marketing, I did feel this one was definitely more in the WF categor
Stephanie
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Well, this book was not for me. A small part of it might be that I have been in the mood lately for mystery and suspense. I knew this was not that type of book, but I feel like the synopsis suggests there is at least a hint of a mystery and there really wasn’t. It was more of a character-driven story about love and guilt and I found it repetitive and pretty boring.

I really hated almost every character in this book, espec
Melissa In The City
I finished this in one evening! Even though I went into it thinking it was a going to be a thriller, it really wasn't, but I didn't care. This story was so well written, powerful, emotional, and poignant. The author did a superb job at setting up the most perfect Lake House getaway scenes. I could feel the hot sun and smell the grill and the scent of the sunscreen on the beach towels. I could literally hear the water lapping on the dock. I give her 5 stars for just the imagery! Amazing!
I loved h
Donna Hines
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Two best friends seem to have the same feelings for the same man but one tragically dies.
What happens afterwards is a crazy time of friendships, love, loyalty, and family.
I also had a difficult time with this one as I'm a huge thriller fan and was expecting some major thrills here but just didn't feel that after reading.
In fact there wasn't much in the plot twist department for me to even excite my senses.
Perhaps it's me as I read way more than I probably should especially with regards to thrill
Liz Fenton
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bethany Chase is one of my favorite authors and her new book does not disappoint! Loved it!
Sally Nimmo
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Plenty of sorrow, guilt, angst, and loss. Lather, rinse, and repeat ... until comes redemption, love, and happy ending. That's about it, folks. You have just experienced this book without having to read it.

Okay, I'm being overly glib and perhaps a bit mean. No, it wasn't an awful book. It’s well written in terms of descriptive characters and scenes. I just felt that the plot was stretched awfully thin.

Thanks to NetGalley for opportunity to read and review.
Amber Boos
Apr 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
I had never heard of Bethany Chase. After reading this, I feel very lucky that now I have! I loved the story line and the author made me feel as if I were there and actually knew the characters. I am big on stories with water settings and different POV's. This is perfect for both suspense fans (me) and fans of friendship/betrayal/secrets stories! I look forward to catching up on Bethany Chase!! Thank you to NetGalley, Ms. Chase and Random House/Ballentine Books!
Cyndi Becker
This book OWNED me, a week after reading and I’m still thinking about it. First, I’ve been anticipating this book for a long while. I'm no stranger to Bethany Chase’s writing and I know I'm going to be torn up and put back together. I knew that once I start it, I will be captivated until the story ends and for long after. One Night At The Lake is a nuanced and compelling read and I felt everything about these relationships.

The execution of the story is remarkable as is the character development
Cambry
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, arc-read
3.5 Stars! Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for a free copy in exchange for my honest review.
June and Leah have been best friends since they were twelve. Leah’s boyfriend, Ollie invites Leah to his family’s summer home on Lake Seneca in upstate New York to celebrate the 4th of July. Not wanting to leave her bff June behind who was freshly in the midst of a breakup; she pushes Ollie to invite June too. The trio travels to the home, and our story unfolds. This book is told in alternating
Sonica
Actual 3.5
Thank you, Penguin Random House Canada for my copy of One Night at the Lake, in exchange for my honest review.  This title releases June 18, 2019.

I changed gears from my usual thriller theme when I picked this one up and so I did not go into it expecting fast-paced suspense, and this contributed to my enjoyment of this story.  This is definitely a slow burn.

The story follows a friendship between to women, June and Leah and the summer Leah dies tragically in an unfathomable accident one
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was different than what I expected! I went in expecting more mystery and instead it was more woman’s fiction with some romance and some mystery. I found myself lost in each characters story and how each person played a factor into what happened that fateful night. Leah and June are best friends. There headed to Leah’s boyfriends family lake house to celebrate the Fourth Of July. Leah and Ollie have been dating for four years and she suspects he’s going to propose.Until one fateful nigh ...more
Randi (randi_reads)
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House-Ballantine Books for a digital arc in exchange for an honest review.

Leah and June are best friends. Their story is told by each of them. Leah's POV is seven years ago when she was dating Ollie. June's POV is seven years later when Leah is dead and June is engaged to Ollie. We know that Leah died while on vacation at Ollie's family's lake house, but we don't know what happened.

This is not a thriller at all, which is what I thought from reading the blurb ab
Janell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teasers tell you this book is about two women who loved the same man, but there is a lot more complexity to this story line. ‘A Night’ continually goes back and forth between characters Leah and June and back and forth in time to ‘before’ and ‘After.’ It can be a little confusing in the beginning but the reader can straighten it out a good way through the book. There was enough suspense to keep me picking this book up to learn each of the main characters’ fates.
Pie Lady Books
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this ARC from NetGalley & Random House Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*

Wow. What a beautiful story this was. I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect when I first read the synopsis...but I was so pleasantly surprised to stumble upon this beautiful, moving story about the ripple effects that occur when someone we love is lost. This is a story of grief and healing, and if learning to forge a beautiful future even amidst painful memories.

I lo
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Maybe a 3.5 to a 4. I feel very mixed on it.
Kirsten Grier
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**I received a Kindle edition of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Leah and June are best friends and about to spend the 4th of July holiday at the lake house of Leah's boyfriend. Leah and Ollie have been dating for 4 years and she's suspecting this might be the week he's finally going to propose. The three of them are having the time of their lives when tragedy strikes and everyone's lives are altered forever.

Fast forward 7 years when Ollie and his fia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I am a huge fan of Bethany Chase's first two books, so I was thrilled to get an advanced copy of her latest book, and I couldn't wait to read it, even though it doesn't come out until June. And I am happy to say it didn't disappoint and that she is firmly on my favorite authors list. This book alternates between two different time places and viewpoints. In one, the narrator is Leah, and is set just before and during a week on a lake in upstate New York with Leah's boyfriend Ollie and Leah's best ...more
Michelle
I was lucky enough to get an early copy to blurb, and here's what I thought about Bethany Chase's fabulous upcoming novel:
Bethany Chase has crafted an ominous, emotional read in her third novel, ONE NIGHT AT THE LAKE. With gripping prose and a setting that is as sentient as the characters who inhabit it, Chase draws a tale that is immediate and real, the kind of story you’ll feel to your gut.
Leah Hines
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't classify this book as a thriller. It is an emotional roller coaster. The characters are deep and intriguing. The differing points of view and timeliness are gripping. As you unravel the mystery of what happened to Leah you can't help but be sucked into these characters' lives.
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is told from the points of view of Leah and her best friend June, switching back and forth between the present and their trip to the lake seven years ago. It takes no time to understand that June is Leah's best friend and Ollie is Leah's boyfriend of four years, and the three of them are thick as thieves. When June's boyfriend breaks up with her right before their vacation, Leah invites June to join them at Seneca Lake for the week to visit with Ollie's family, where she is hoping tha ...more
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is told from the points of view of Leah and her best friend June, switching back and forth between the present and their trip to the lake seven years ago. It takes no time to understand that June is Leah’s best friend and Ollie is Leah’s boyfriend of four years, and the three of them are thick as thieves. When June’s boyfriend breaks up with her right before their vacation, Leah invites June to join them at Seneca Lake for the week to visit with Ollie’s family, where she is hoping tha ...more
Leslie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I appreciate the opportunity.

I started this book with very high hopes. I really like the author’s writing style. Check out “The One That Got Way”. It’s a fun listen (audiobook with enjoyable narration). Based on the description of this book I knew the subject matter was going to be emotional and was fully ready to dig in. The writing is terrific and I really like the style of toggling of POV and ti
Amy
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two friends love the same man, but the one of them dies. Not only that, she dies the weekend that she thought she would get engaged.

Leah and Ollie have been together a long time, and she thinks this is The Moment. Feisty and not likely to suffer fools, she knows what she wants, and she expects that she will get it. She looks at Ollie as part of her, and she recognizes how lucky she is to have found a man to love and be loved back.

Seven years later, June prepares to go to the very lake where Leah
Carrie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
One Night at the Lake by Bethany Chase is a mystery that involves the death of a girl while on vacation at their lake house seven years before. The story alternates between the voice of Leah from the past leading to her death and June, Leah’s best friend, living with the memory of losing her friend.

Seven years earlier Leah, June and Leah’s boyfriend Ollie had all been good friends so when June needs some cheering up Leah invites her along to Seneca Lake. Leah is expecting Ollie to finally propos
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm a fan of Bethany Chase so I was thrilled to read this arc about Leah, Ollie and June. Set in the past (7 years ago) from Leah's perspective and in the present in June's point of view, this is a story about relationships, love and death. It isn't as much of a thriller as it is a discussion in the relationships we have with those around us and the powerful bonds of friendship. As someone who grew up in Rochester, I loved the little references to Wegmans, garbage plates, the newspaper, and of c ...more
Haley B Melo
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Melissa
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars women's fiction
Although the description reads as if this is a thriller, it's not. It's the story of two women and coping with loss, dealing with guilt and moving on. That's not to say that there's not an air of a bit of mystery, but it is compelling and works well with the story.
This is told from two perspectives: Leah's and her best friend June's. Both perspectives are set at a lake house over the 4th of July holidays. Leah's time ends in tragedy, June's is seven years later as she is
« previous 1 3 next »

• Say You Still Love Me
  • Finding My Happy Pace (Toronto, #8)
  • Passion on Park Avenue (Central Park Pact, #1)
  • Under Currents
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • The Last House Guest
  • The Arrangement
  • Temper
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • All the Wrong Places
  • The Dark Corners of the Night (UNSUB, #3)
  • Double Take
  • The Whisper Man
  • I'm Fine and Neither Are You
  • The Churchgoer
  • Dear Wife
  • The Lovely and the Lost
Writer of love stories, designer, and eternally hopeful A-cup. Author of USA Today bestseller THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY and the upcoming RESULTS MAY VARY. Welcome to my page... can I get you a drink?

“A warm, witty, and wise novel, The One That Got Away announces the arrival of a great new voice in fiction.” — Emily Giffin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The One and Only