Start by marking “We Regret to Inform You” as Want to Read:
We Regret to Inform You

We Regret to Inform You

Mischa Abramavicius is a walking, talking, top-scoring, perfectly well-rounded college application in human form. So when she's rejected not only by the Ivies, but her loathsome safety school, she is shocked and devastated. All the sacrifices her mother made to send her to prep school, the late nights cramming for tests, the blatantly resume-padding extracurriculars (read: ...more
Published August 21st 2018 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We Regret to Inform You, please sign up.
Summer Fazzone An indi author, Laurel Ostiguy, writes a book series set at the time of entering college. I have not read the book above so this may not be exactly…moreAn indi author, Laurel Ostiguy, writes a book series set at the time of entering college. I have not read the book above so this may not be exactly what you're looking for but it you want to give them a try here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...(less)

Tatiana
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1, 2018, starred-2018, ya

A rare YA novel that approaches overachieving and the relentless hunt for the “best school” in a moderately interesting way. (It really is amazing, although not surprising, how far some families would go to get into the so much coveted Ivy League schools.) But the characters are thinner than I prefer and often interchangeable. The mystery only exists because adults are oblivious/don’t do their jobs, as it always is in YA.
Samantha (WLABB)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was the moment, when it was all supposed to payoff. This was the reward for all her hard work, sleepless nights and her mother's financial sacrifice so that she could attend a top notch private high school. High SAT scores - check! Near perfect GPA (curse you freshman PE!) - check! A long list of leadership and club positions - check! Mischa was a dream on paper, but as everyone began celebrating their college acceptances, she received NONE.

This book
Jen Ryland
Cute - intrigue surrounding college admissions. A promising senior at a private high school is rejected from every school she applies to and discovers that something strange happened to her transcript. No one is above suspicion! A nice balance of suspense, humor, family and romance. Had a bit of a Veronica Mars vibe, which I liked!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!
Carlos
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a easy read. I loved the plot and the characters, Sharma is an overachiever and always has an end game but when all of her plans fall through she struggles to find a meaning to it all, but maybe she realizes that the things we take for granted and that are free (love, friendships) are more important. Meanwhile she uncovers a crime being committed at her prestigious school, maybe she never failed at all.....but what does this all mean?.....the ending tries to come up with an answer and I lik ...more
Dahlia
Oh man I enjoyed that a lot. It was only partly what I expected; I kind of thought the MC would have more of an Enter Title Here vibe. But she didn't, and I loved her for it. (Not a criticism of ETH - I love that MC - but I feel like it's the obvious voice for an overachiever and it's nice to see an alternative.) Also, the secondary characters are fabulous, especially Nate, whom I utterly adored. Woof I shipped them hard.

ETA: I forgot to mention when I first reviewed, but also, I loved the little b
Paul
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We Regret to Inform You is a piece of YA fiction that is a perfect hybrid of mystery and drama with a bit of romance. Misha takes some hits and questions herself, but ultimately, she escapes rock bottom with the help of her wit and determination. What starts as drama quickly turns to a satisfying caper that twists and turns to great conclusion. I would definitely recommend this one.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Children’s Books, Alfred A Knopf for Young Readers, and A.E. Kapla
Caroline
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
Read my full review here!

Some of the writing in this book is really bad. This next line comes directly from the book."It was good. It tasted maple-y. I like maple." That drove me insane and pulled away from the interesting plot.

I felt like this book took a completely different turn, I was not expecting (view spoiler)

Once the
ash ronnel
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
\/\/\/\/\Reviewed By Ash/\/\/\/\/\/

--Status: finished September 16th--

I found this book on Goodreads and requested it as an eBook, thinking that it would be an okay read. I didn't realize how HOOKED I would become by the end!

────────────────────────────

.・・Things I liked・・.

-THE MESSAGE: Okay, the message in the novel was pure gold. There were a lot of relatable moments in the book for me specifically, because I focus a lot on my grades and stud-THE
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an eARC I got from the publisher via NetGalley as a reviewer for YA Books Central.

When it came time for me to research colleges and send out applications, I applied to four at the very tail end of the early decision deadlines and got admission into three. If you’re a high school student reading this and have college in your future, don’t follow my example. Applications are detailed little suckers, four in three days is a nightmare, and I should have
Kelly
By turns funny and smart, Kaplan's sophomore novel explores what happens when a student who, by everything she's done, should have no problem getting into any college but yet, discovers she didn't even get into the one that admits basically everyone. Was her transcript hacked? Misha enlists a group of girl hackers at her school to get to the bottom of the problem and they discover there's something even more sinister going on.

What I really appreciated about this was how it explored c
Marie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018-releases
We Regret To Inform You was a book I was eagerly anticipating, because I had this feeling. You know, the one you have for a book you know you’ll enjoy. I’m really happy to say that, I was right.

Sweet, fun, entertaining, We Regret To Inform You was, for me, a bingeable kind of read. With the main topic of it being about a teenager not getting into the college of her choice, it really emphasized the process of getting into college at all in the United States. Being French, I never had
Emma
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book We Regret to Inform You by Ariel Kaplan is about a straight A student who can barely afford to go to the expensive private school that she attends. When she gets rejected from every college that she applies to, despite her incredible college resume, she attempts to find an alternate reason that she didn't even get into the terrible back up college that she applied to. I loved reading We Regret to Inform You right from the beginning because it was an amazing and exciting read.
Thr
Lorilin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
Mischa Abramavicius is a straight-A student at a top private high school. The fact that she's there on scholarship has only motivated her to work her hardest, and it shows. She's consistently at the top of her class with good grades and impressive extracurricular achievements. When the time comes to hear which colleges she made it into, Mischa is anxious but still confident that the acceptance letters will come rolling in. So she is absolutely devastated when she gets into...zero schools, not ev ...more
Amp
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Spoilers, I guess.

DNF. I was enjoying this novel about a young girl who goes to an expensive prep school in order to hopefully get into an Ivy League college. She reminded me a bit of Rory Gilmore from Gilmore Girls so I was interested to see what she would do when she is rejected from every school she applied to, including her safety school that virtually anyone can get into. She believes her SAT scores, grades, letters of rec, and extracurriculars should have made her a shoo in for
Ms. Yingling
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Netgalley

Mischa attends a prestigious private school near D.C., at great personal cost to her single mother. Mischa has done everything she is supposed to do, keeping up her grades, doing well on tests, and getting good letters of recommendation from her teachers. When college acceptance day rolls around, however, things go badly, and in the end, Mischa doesn't even get accepted by her fall back school. Her friend Nate is very supportive and tries to help, but Mischa doesn
Jenny Chou
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The college admission process is brutal, but A.E. Kaplan’s WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU manages to make what is essentially a roll of the dice for even 4.0 students into a seriously funny and thought-provoking novel, perfect for teens and their anxiety-riddled parents. Mischa has the top grades, the test scores, the varied extracurriculars, and a scholarship at fancy Blanchard Prep. Maybe she won’t get in everywhere, but she should get in somewhere, right? Wrong. When even her not-quite-mediocre safe ...more
Jenny
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
YALSA #BFYA2019 nominee; read review here: http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2018/...
Logan Hughes
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a hardworking straight-A student's worst nightmare: rejected from every college. As Mischa struggles to understand what went wrong, she begins to question everything - the point of working hard, the expectations placed on her by her family, the purpose of life, her unquestioned assumption that she needs to excel at specific success signifiers in order to justify her existence. Even as the experience changes her, however, it also becomes clear that it is part of deeper conspiracy, drawing he ...more
Rachel
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU is the whole package. It has drama, and humor, and romance. It is thought provoking. It offers a mystery to be solved. It has likable and interesting characters. It is instantly engaging and stays that way until the very end.

Mischa Abramavicius thought she had the college application process all figured out. She had the grades – straight A’s… well, except for that one A-. She had the extracurriculars. Her SATs were competitive. Her essay was well-written. And
Emma
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Grade: B+
An e-galley was provided by Random House via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: We Regret to Inform You has been kind of slipping under the radar. Not a lot of bloggers have talked about it, and it's not getting a lot of hype, like some other August titles. And I'm surprised. It was nice to go into the story, not knowing what to expect, but also it was terrifying. Yet, there was nothing to be scared of.
WRtIY has a good voice.
Bailey
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
We Regret to Inform You by A. E. Kaplan, was a 4 out of 5. In the beginning it was pretty slow but then you get to chapter 20 and you can’t put it down trying to solve the mystery. There is a twist of romance that made me fall in love with the characters and their adventures.

This book is very relatable in some ways, there is a part where the main character doesn't want to talk to anyone or do anything. I have had many days like this, where I just want to crawl into bed and binge watch my favori
Norina Zhang
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
During some points of this book, it was pretty cool, then, in other chapters, it was way to detailed and slightly boring. The plot was interesting...but it doesn't actually happen in real life, right? I think the them of this book is to never give up. When Mischa was little, they were poor. So, both her and her mom worked hard to get Mischa into a excellent private school, so her future would be better then her mom's . Mischa got in, and then throughout all her years of education, was working re ...more
McKinlay Dennis
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2018-faves
*i received an early review copy from netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

I went into this book knowing very little about it because I've literally heard no one talk about it, so i had zero expectations and I LOVED IT! I was interested in the story right away. The MC is driven and unapologetic about it. I absolutely ADORED her love interest who is bisexual and NOT PROBLEMATIC, GOD BLESS US EVERYONE! I ship them SO HARD! There's a female gang of hackers and 2
Moriah Conant
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is a great book!!

1. College rejection EMAILS suck. I can relate. And an email feels even worse than a letter because it seems like they couldn’t even be bothered to buy a stamp. Ugh, it’s painful.

2. “We Regret to Inform” pleasantly surprised me as somewhat of a mystery book. Mischa and her friends/classmates try to unravel how she was rejected from 7 schools and the story is very engaging.

Read “We Regret to Inform You”!!

I received a copy of this book in exchan
Sunny Lu
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
So funny and engaging. Loved the characters and the relationships and the mystery. Highly recommend to anyone looking for some genuinely good YA. I’m about to go through the college admissions process, and I read this during the rich people college admissions scandal IRL, so it just felt weirdly timely!!!
Casey
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Good, contemporary YA novel about the pressures and expectations for high school students, and a prestigious private school caught up in a college admissions scandal. Very timely! What happens when an overachiever gets rejected from every school she applied to, even the local safety school? She discovers a plot to ruin her, and then has to solve both the mystery of what happened AND the mystery of what to do with her future.
Lucy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't planning on reading this, but I saw it at the library yesterday and checked it out. I figured that it would be an interesting read after this whole college admissions scandal thing came out. Guess what? It was! We Regret To Inform You was a little bit funny, a little bit sad, but overall really compelling and relatable.
Liilaa
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of those really original books you don't really see any more.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had intended to skim this novel, but got so caught up in the characters, that I had to slow down and enjoy the ride.

A solid mystery.
Camryn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was so wild and I loved it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Your Own Worst Enemy
  • Easy Prey
  • Undecided: Navigating Life and Learning After High School
  • Learning to Breathe
  • Denton Little's Still Not Dead  (Denton Little, #2)
  • Sorry For Your Loss