Start by marking “The View from Alameda Island” as Want to Read:

The View from Alameda Island

#1 New York Times bestselling author Robyn Carr delivers a poignant and powerful story about how one woman’s best intentions lead to the worst of situations and how the power of love helps her to heal and ultimately triumph.

From the outside looking in, Lauren Delaney has a life to envy—a successful career, a solid marriage to a prominent surgeon and two beautiful daughter
Published April 30th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The View from Alameda Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View from Alameda Island

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She walked purposefully to her car and she even looked around. He was in the garden shed on the other side of the gardens. She could hear him putting things away. He wasn't looking to see what she was driving or what her license plate was. He was a perfectly nice, friendly guy who probably picked up lonely women on a regular basis. Then murdered them and chopped them into little pieces and used them for fertilizer.

She sighed. Sometimes she felt so ridiculous.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: From the
Jonetta
Lauren Delaney has endured a highly unsatisfactory marriage for 24 years to a man who’s controlling and mean. Brad’s a successful surgeon whose done nothing but demean and belittle her their entire marriage. She declares to herself that there will not be a 25th year in this relationship now that her two daughters have finished college. She now has to figure out how to make this happen and create a new life for herself.

Lauren’s decision is declared in the opening paragraph of this story so there
♥Rachel♥
I LOVE Robyn Carr’s writing, so I’ve been looking forward to The View From Alameda Island, it was amazing and crazy! I think this has been the craziest exes I’ve read from Ms. Carr, but the relationship between Lauren and Beau was steady and calming throughout any drama that came at them. Their romance was slow and steady, felt real, but also had heat and chemistry! I loved it!

Let me just tell you I wanted to strangle both of their exes! Their pictures would be up by the words “narcissistic
Susan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, rabf

Robyn Carr

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is the story of Lauren Delaney and her seemingly perfect life. Perfect until it wasn't. She has two beautiful daughters and is married to a very successful surgeon. On her twenty fourth wedding anniversary she makes a decision that will change her life forever.......she walks away!

While visiting a local garden she meets a man, Beau, and they begin talking. He seems to be a kindered
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Meh. I desperately wanted to like this book, even just because of the cover. But alas, NO. The nicest thing I can say about it is that I think I’ve simply outgrown this insipid and overly-explained /exhaustively-described type of romance/women’s fiction. I probably wouldn’t have finished it but I was so sick while reading it that getting up to grab another book wasn’t an option. The cover is strong, though.
Kate Douglas
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I’ve finally nailed what I love so much about Robyn Carr’s books (beyond her skillful writing)—she doesn’t focus entirely on two main characters. She writes about family, about other lives and loves that connect and impact the actual leads in the story, but those other loves, the other men and women who populate her books, are as fully drawn and well developed as the primary leads.

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is a perfect example. Lauren Delaney is a woman on the edge of a ne
Amy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
4.5/5

I just love Carr’s style, something about it almost soothes me even if she’s writing about some heavy stuff. I think it’s because she strikes the perfect balance between dark and light, and also due to the fact that her characterization is always on point and she has me invested in the people in her books before I’ve finished the first chapter. Whatever it may be, she’s damn good and I always know when I start one of her books that I’m about to begin an emotional journey alongsi
Kelsie Maxwell
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The View From Alameda Island is great women’s romantic fiction from bestselling author, Robyn Carr. This is a tale of love, loss and second chances.

Lauren Delaney, wife and mother of two daughters is done with her marriage. She’s so done that she consults a divorce attorney on her twenty-fourth wedding anniversary. Her husband, Brad, is verbally, emotionally and physically abusive, and he’s a cheater. She stayed with him for the sake of her daughters but they’re grown now and Lauren is ready to final
Tina
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a failure for me on almost every level.

The first part was rather boring. Lauren has been an emotionally abused wife who stayed in a marriage for years for the sake f her daughters. Her husband no only belittled, gaslighted and lightly physically abused her, but he used his daughters as blackmail to keep her in the marriage. But as the youngest daughter finally finishes college and is ready to move across the country, Lauren decides she is finally ready to leave.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I enjoyed this romance with older protagonists who became friends while dealing with divorce. It wasn’t really riveting but a solid story nonetheless.
Laurene
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been and remain a longtime fan of Robyn Carr. The View From Alameda Island was good but it did not have the Robyn Carr wow factor. Still enjoyed it tremendously.

"We have to feed and educate the next generation, that's the only way we leave the world better than we found it."
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
The best kind of stories are the ones with a butterfly effect. A character changes and evolves to become so much more than they ever thought possible, emerging into something new and wonderful.

The change is often hard and has more obstacles than anticipated, but will be worth giving up the perception of perfect to become something and someone who is beautifully flawed yet emotionally on the way to wellness.

The View From Alameda Island is all that and more. A beautifully poignant read.
~Tanja

The View From Alameda Island is all that and more. A beautifully poignant read.
~Tanja

TwitterFacebookPinterestBookBabblersInstagram
Kathrynn
In my opinion, the author did not polish this book before submission and the ending was very rushed. There were a lot of retelling of scenes we already went through with the main character. A lot. Felt like "filler" to me. There were a few places where the wrong character's name was used in a dialogue when that character wasn't in the scene.

As for the story, I felt it was okay. This book dealt with divorce:

* The main male character, Beau, was divorcing his wife because she would routinely leav
Siobhan
I’ve read a few Robyn Carr books and find I always enjoy them. Some I enjoy a bit more than others, but I’m always wiling to come back for more. The View from Alameda Island is another enjoyable read, but it does not make it into my top Robyn Carr reads. In fact, I’ve come to the conclusion all my favourite Robyn Carr reads are part of a series, with the standalones not quite wowing me in the same way. That being said, it’s still worth the read and I’d certainly recommend it to fans of the autho ...more
The Lit Bitch
I have only recently discovered Robyn Carr’s books and so far I have really enjoyed the nice little escape they provide from day to day life.

Carr has written a number of different standalone books and various series, and clearly has a huge following of devoted fans! So far I have stuck with the Sullivan’s Crossing series but I have been interested in checking out some of her other novels.

She has been hugely successful and I can clearly see how experienced she is in her wr
Teresa
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019, romance
~ 2.5 Stars ~ The book seemed to drag along until an abrupt ending. All the characters were tied up in a few pages. The majority of the ending seemed far-fetched.
Marleen
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be totally honest I have a feeling that this isn't a recent story written by Robyn Carr. There's a lot of sentiments repeated over and over again, which is an easy trap only beginning authors fall into. This is the story of two kindred spirits; protagonists Lauren and Beau, who meet in a church garden over their shared love of plants, flowers and greenery, and find out that they both just got out of bad marriages; both had partners who subtly manipulated and verbally abused them for years. Bo ...more
S.Q. Orpin
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Formula writing with one dimensional characters

This is not the story of a strong woman making a new life. It is a boring account of a whiney lifeless person who wants to blame everyone for her failed life. The description of abuse is straight from a pamphlet with zero depth of emotion. The husband has no redeeming qualities and there was no motivation for her to ever stay in the marriage. She runs straight into the arms of another man, yawn. There is no struggle or conflict only ridiculously stag
Miriam
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-life, romance
Robin Carr's newest stand alone novel revolves around marriage, divorce, and friendship. There are rough and smooth patches in this tale, for both the characters and with the writing. There are some segments that echo one another focusing on love and on the need to create distance from the abusers. Strong on communication and understanding on Lauren's and Beau's parts, particularly with their children, there are some difficult scenes to read through.

If you like romance and star-cross
Linda Romer
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
The View from Alameda Island was an okay read, not my favorite. A story about abuse, divorce and new love. I just couldn't connect with the characters and wasn't thrilled with the story.
Dawn ♥ romance
I've enjoyed all this authors books and this was no exception. It had my attention from beginning to end. It had an interesting concept of developing a relationship while going through a divorce. It's a time you know exactly what you do and don't like in a person. Lauren finally decided to divorce her abusive husband and meets Beau who is also separated from his wife.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
***review to come soon***
Peggy Clayton
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully written book that i sat and read in ones sitting. I loved the book as this writer is so polished in her writing and also the books has it's up and downs as does life. This is a book that you will want to read. This book Robyn hit out of the ballpark with ease!
Kirsten #EndGunViolence
This is a Robyn Carr with a very serious subtext. In fact, she probably should have put some 1-800 numbers at the beginning for help lines.

A Robyn Carr has real people with real problems. A lot of times it's women recovering from different problems in their lives: alcoholism, cheating husbands, grief, etc. This time is no difference. Though this time it was much more serious. We are talking domestic abuse here and recognizing it's not just a bad marriage but abuse.

It is also about recovering f
Tiffany Foskey
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a really enjoyable read!!!!! Lauren is a mother of two who has been married to a controlling abusive man for 20 something years and she finally decides she has had enough and leaves him for good. Her surgeon husband decided he doesn't agree with that though and tries despicable dangerous ways to get his wife and cushy life back. Almost destroying his own life and relationship with his two daughters in the process. I highly recommend this book. Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin fo ...more
Katie
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Diane
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The View From Alameda Island by author Robyn Carr is a thoughtfully written story of marital disappointments, divorce, and new beginnings! Robin Carr has written the conflicts, pressures, and even sometimes violence of going forward with a divorce when there are no other options.
Lauren has given twenty-four years to a marriage she felt was a mistake even as she dressed on her wedding day. Now, years later her daughters Lacey who is in college and Cassie who starts college in the fall will no lo
Darcy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a slow build to it and that is what really makes it work. We get to see Lauren really think about her life and what she wants from it, to see her start to make small changes that will set her up later. It was just her good luck that at a time she was ready to make a change she found someone else that was on the same path as her in Beau. I liked the friendship that these two developed, how they were able to talk about things as they were in the same place with their kids and their s ...more
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
Hooooooly Moly.

This was a really wild ride for me. Robyn Carr is pretty much my top go to author. She is so very talented. Her books always speak to me like Nora Roberts.

For me this book was a bit off her usual path. While her books always touch on the importance of family...this one was a bit darker. Betrayal, characters that are innately dark, self centered and twisted. Character traits that no one wants in a family member to be honest.

This book is so much more than di
Donna Hines
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Be brave, spread your wings and fly, take life by the horns and ride the hell out of it.
You see you only get one merry go round so you best better make it your own and own it all.
In this magical journey we embark on a couple who are on the brink of divorce with grown girls but there's much more behind the scenes.
Brad is abusive and Lauren has kept the secret hidden till now....
Meanwhile Beau is married but separated from Pamela with his own troubles to sift through.
Play Book Tag: The View from Alameda Island by Robyn Carr - 4 stars 1 14 May 26, 2019 10:45PM

• The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Faking Forever (First Wives, #4)
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • Maybe This Time
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • One Summer in Paris
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Swimming for Sunlight
  • Under Currents
  • Summer Dance
  • Cowboy Honor (Longhorn Canyon #2)
  • California Girls
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • Strawberry Hill (Mystic Creek, #5)
  • Everything's Relative
  • The Memory House
  • Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND, released in April 2019, deputed on four bestseller lists: The ...more