Start by marking “The View from Alameda Island” as Want to Read:
The View from Alameda Island

The View from Alameda Island

#1 New York Times bestselling author Robyn Carr delivers a poignant and powerful story about how one woman’s best intentions lead to the worst of situations and how the power of love helps her to heal and ultimately triumph.

From the outside looking in, Lauren Delaney has a life to envy—a successful career, a solid marriage to a prominent surgeon and two beautiful daughters
Published April 30th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The View from Alameda Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View from Alameda Island

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She walked purposefully to her car and she even looked around. He was in the garden shed on the other side of the gardens. She could hear him putting things away. He wasn't looking to see what she was driving or what her license plate was. He was a perfectly nice, friendly guy who probably picked up lonely women on a regular basis. Then murdered them and chopped them into little pieces and used them for fertilizer.

She sighed. Sometimes she felt so ridiculous.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: From the
Jonetta
Lauren Delaney has endured a highly unsatisfactory marriage for 24 years to a man who’s controlling and mean. Brad’s a successful surgeon whose done nothing but demean and belittle her their entire marriage. She declares to herself that there will not be a 25th year in this relationship now that her two daughters have finished college. She now has to figure out how to make this happen and create a new life for herself.

Lauren’s decision is declared in the opening paragraph of this story so there
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
I read many books by this author, the Virgin River and Thunder Point series were some of my most favorite by her. This time the author writes about two middle age characters that both want to get out of disastrous marriages – separately from each other, but coincidently at the same time.

I’ve always admired the author for picking topics and themes to write about that have meaning, and are relatable.

Beau and Lauren matched well, no doubt about that, and I’m glad they got their HEA especially after
♥Rachel♥
I LOVE Robyn Carr’s writing, so I’ve been looking forward to The View From Alameda Island, it was amazing and crazy! I think this has been the craziest exes I’ve read from Ms. Carr, but the relationship between Lauren and Beau was steady and calming throughout any drama that came at them. Their romance was slow and steady, felt real, but also had heat and chemistry! I loved it!

Let me just tell you I wanted to strangle both of their exes! Their pictures would be up by the words “narcissistic”, “m
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Meh. I desperately wanted to like this book, even just because of the cover. But alas, NO. The nicest thing I can say about it is that I think I’ve simply outgrown this insipid and overly-explained /exhaustively-described type of romance/women’s fiction. I probably wouldn’t have finished it but I was so sick while reading it that getting up to grab another book wasn’t an option. The cover is strong, though.
Amy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
4.5/5

I just love Carr’s style, something about it almost soothes me even if she’s writing about some heavy stuff. I think it’s because she strikes the perfect balance between dark and light, and also due to the fact that her characterization is always on point and she has me invested in the people in her books before I’ve finished the first chapter. Whatever it may be, she’s damn good and I always know when I start one of her books that I’m about to begin an emotional journey alongside some memo
Kelsie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The View From Alameda Island is great women’s romantic fiction from bestselling author, Robyn Carr. This is a tale of love, loss and second chances.

Lauren Delaney, wife and mother of two daughters is done with her marriage. She’s so done that she consults a divorce attorney on her twenty-fourth wedding anniversary. Her husband, Brad, is verbally, emotionally and physically abusive, and he’s a cheater. She stayed with him for the sake of her daughters but they’re grown now and Lauren is ready to
Kate Douglas
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I’ve finally nailed what I love so much about Robyn Carr’s books (beyond her skillful writing)—she doesn’t focus entirely on two main characters. She writes about family, about other lives and loves that connect and impact the actual leads in the story, but those other loves, the other men and women who populate her books, are as fully drawn and well developed as the primary leads.

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is a perfect example. Lauren Delaney is a woman on the edge of a new life when
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
The best kind of stories are the ones with a butterfly effect. A character changes and evolves to become so much more than they ever thought possible, emerging into something new and wonderful.

The change is often hard and has more obstacles than anticipated, but will be worth giving up the perception of perfect to become something and someone who is beautifully flawed yet emotionally on the way to wellness.

The View From Alameda Island is all that and more. A beautifully poignant read.
~Tanja

Fol
Siobhan
I’ve read a few Robyn Carr books and find I always enjoy them. Some I enjoy a bit more than others, but I’m always wiling to come back for more. The View from Alameda Island is another enjoyable read, but it does not make it into my top Robyn Carr reads. In fact, I’ve come to the conclusion all my favourite Robyn Carr reads are part of a series, with the standalones not quite wowing me in the same way. That being said, it’s still worth the read and I’d certainly recommend it to fans of the autho ...more
Tina
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a failure for me on almost every level.

The first part was rather boring. Lauren has been an emotionally abused wife who stayed in a marriage for years for the sake f her daughters. Her husband no only belittled, gaslighted and lightly physically abused her, but he used his daughters as blackmail to keep her in the marriage. But as the youngest daughter finally finishes college and is ready to move across the country, Lauren decides she is finally ready to leave.

Just when she makes
The Lit Bitch
I have only recently discovered Robyn Carr’s books and so far I have really enjoyed the nice little escape they provide from day to day life.

Carr has written a number of different standalone books and various series, and clearly has a huge following of devoted fans! So far I have stuck with the Sullivan’s Crossing series but I have been interested in checking out some of her other novels.

She has been hugely successful and I can clearly see how experienced she is in her writing. Her books are oft
Miriam
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-life, romance
Robin Carr's newest stand alone novel revolves around marriage, divorce, and friendship. There are rough and smooth patches in this tale, for both the characters and with the writing. There are some segments that echo one another focusing on love and on the need to create distance from the abusers. Strong on communication and understanding on Lauren's and Beau's parts, particularly with their children, there are some difficult scenes to read through.

If you like romance and star-crossed, supporti
Robin Loves Reading
Lauren Delaney makes a monumental decision. It is her twenty-fourth wedding anniversary, and instead of heading to a restaurant or some other celebratory destination, she heads to a divorce attorney. Lauren has decided to divorce her husband Brad. Her marriage was never ideal. Far from it. Brad was verbally and emotionally abusive, yet she stayed with him, Lauren had wanted to leave Brad for years. However, they have two daughters, Lacey and Cassie, and Brad always made her worried about custody ...more
Dawn ♥ romance
I've enjoyed all this authors books and this was no exception. It had my attention from beginning to end. It had an interesting concept of developing a relationship while going through a divorce. It's a time you know exactly what you do and don't like in a person. Lauren finally decided to divorce her abusive husband and meets Beau who is also separated from his wife.
Peggy Clayton
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully written book that i sat and read in ones sitting. I loved the book as this writer is so polished in her writing and also the books has it's up and downs as does life. This is a book that you will want to read. This book Robyn hit out of the ballpark with ease!
Tiffany Foskey
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a really enjoyable read!!!!! Lauren is a mother of two who has been married to a controlling abusive man for 20 something years and she finally decides she has had enough and leaves him for good. Her surgeon husband decided he doesn't agree with that though and tries despicable dangerous ways to get his wife and cushy life back. Almost destroying his own life and relationship with his two daughters in the process. I highly recommend this book. Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin fo ...more
Diane
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The View From Alameda Island by author Robyn Carr is a thoughtfully written story of marital disappointments, divorce, and new beginnings! Robin Carr has written the conflicts, pressures, and even sometimes violence of going forward with a divorce when there are no other options.
Lauren has given twenty-four years to a marriage she felt was a mistake even as she dressed on her wedding day. Now, years later her daughters Lacey who is in college and Cassie who starts college in the fall will no lo
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
Hooooooly Moly.

This was a really wild ride for me. Robyn Carr is pretty much my top go to author. She is so very talented. Her books always speak to me like Nora Roberts.

For me this book was a bit off her usual path. While her books always touch on the importance of family...this one was a bit darker. Betrayal, characters that are innately dark, self centered and twisted. Character traits that no one wants in a family member to be honest.

This book is so much more than divorce...it’s a story of
Darcy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a slow build to it and that is what really makes it work. We get to see Lauren really think about her life and what she wants from it, to see her start to make small changes that will set her up later. It was just her good luck that at a time she was ready to make a change she found someone else that was on the same path as her in Beau. I liked the friendship that these two developed, how they were able to talk about things as they were in the same place with their kids and their s ...more
Donna Hines
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Be brave, spread your wings and fly, take life by the horns and ride the hell out of it.
You see you only get one merry go round so you best better make it your own and own it all.
In this magical journey we embark on a couple who are on the brink of divorce with grown girls but there's much more behind the scenes.
Brad is abusive and Lauren has kept the secret hidden till now....
Meanwhile Beau is married but separated from Pamela with his own troubles to sift through.
While others try to make sense
booksofallkinds
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from Netgalley

Engaging characters, a beautiful setting, and a whole lot of drama makes THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND by Robyn Carr a great read with plenty to keep your eyes glued to the page.

After twenty-four years of abuse and controlling behaviour at the hands of her husband Brad, Lauren has finally had enough. Her two daughters are grown up and at college and she can be free. But Brad doesn't take kindly to being left and will do whatever he can to make life
Marti
The View from Alameda Island by Robyn Carr bring us to the city of Alameda, which is an island in the midst of San Francisco Bay. The characters of Lauren and Beau both live there and the city is almost another character as it is treated by Robyn Carr. The story, a love story at the center does contain some challenges for the main characters. While Lauren is the main character, lots of Beau’s story is told and I think equally part of the story.

Lauren stayed with her husband, a well known surgeo
Marleen
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be totally honest I have a feeling that this isn't a recent story written by Robyn Carr. There's a lot of sentiments repeated over and over again, which is an easy trap only beginning authors fall into. This is the story of two kindred spirits; protagonists Lauren and Beau, who meet in a church garden over their shared love of plants, flowers and greenery, and find out that they both just got out of bad marriages; both had partners who subtly manipulated and verbally abused them for years. Bo ...more
Shari
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I could not put down. A powerful story of two lost souls, both going through divorces that have formed a friendship that develops into so much more. An accidental meeting, but they each find strength through each other.

My heart just broke for Lauren, the emotional abuse that she took for so many years because she wanted her daughters not to suffer from a broken marriage. Everything was picture perfect on the outside but you don't realize what goes on behind the closed doors.
Perrin Larton
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about choices. Marital choices. Parental choices.

Lauren has been in her marriage for 24 years. Surviving. She's the defacto errand girl, parent, and hostess for her surgeon husband. Wanting to make sure her daughters have the funds for their education, she waits and plans her escape, finally filing for divorce when her youngest daughter graduates college. Her life, her choice

Beau has been in his marriage for many years as well. Also, surviving. He's been the step-dad to his wife's
Laurie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Despite dealing with the weighty topics of spousal abuse and divorce, as well as tricky family dynamics, Robyn Carr's "The View from Alameda Island" turned out to be a sweet and enjoyable read. Both Lauren and Beau were incredibly likeable characters, and I liked the slow build of their romance as they each recovered from the trauma of their previous relationships and learned to trust not only themselves, but the fact that they could fall in love again. Their struggles with their children, first ...more
Courtney
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a complete roller coaster ride. I was expecting a simple romance on an island with a heartbreaking story. Well, this book has all of that and much, much more. Lauren is getting out of a long marriage to a verbally abusive husband. Beau is getting out of a twelve year marriage to a flighty woman. The two come together in a beautiful friendship that helps ease the pain for both of them. Neither of them were happy in their marriages, but they never would have expected the chaos to ens ...more
Kerry
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a little slow to start. A whole lot of drama, that pushes the boundaries of realism.

I did like the main characters and their struggle to start over after their marriage have failed for different reasons. Their connection was instant, and I liked that they were taking it slow. I think that a lot of marriages end these days, but the extremes that both exes showed was a little much for me.

Otherwise well written, enjoyable and good character development.

I received a free copy from t
Ian Mcnamara
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was another really good offering by this author. She is a fantastic writer and really makes you fall in love with her characters even the nasty ones. This was a really good story and the characters were engaging and really fun to follow. I always look forward to any book by this author. I do enjoy her series but I also enjoy these stand alone books to. The stories are engaging and full of all emotion.

• The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Faking Forever (First Wives, #4)
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • The McAvoy Sisters Book of Secrets
  • Maybe This Time
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • One Summer in Paris
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Swimming for Sunlight
  • Under Currents
  • Summer Dance
  • Cowboy Honor (Longhorn Canyon #2)
  • California Girls
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • Strawberry Hill (Mystic Creek, #5)
  • Everything's Relative
  • The Memory House
  • Midnight at the Wandering Vineyard
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND will be release in April 2019. Robyn is a recipient of the Roma ...more