Start by marking “The View from Alameda Island” as Want to Read:

The View from Alameda Island

#1 New York Times bestselling author Robyn Carr delivers a poignant and powerful story about how one woman’s best intentions lead to the worst of situations and how the power of love helps her to heal and ultimately triumph.

From the outside looking in, Lauren Delaney has a life to envy—a successful career, a solid marriage to a prominent surgeon and two beautiful daughters
Published April 30th 2019 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The View from Alameda Island, please sign up.
Viola Walton The settlement of $5 million was offered only if she agreed to return to her abusive husband. He then would have found a way to murder her so he would…moreThe settlement of $5 million was offered only if she agreed to return to her abusive husband. He then would have found a way to murder her so he would inherit the money. Good for her for refusing his offer. I just finished listening to the audible book.
(less)

Start your review of The View from Alameda Island
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She walked purposefully to her car and she even looked around. He was in the garden shed on the other side of the gardens. She could hear him putting things away. He wasn't looking to see what she was driving or what her license plate was. He was a perfectly nice, friendly guy who probably picked up lonely women on a regular basis. Then murdered them and chopped them into little pieces and used them for fertilizer.

She sighed. Sometimes she felt so ridiculous.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: From the
Jonetta
Lauren Delaney has endured a highly unsatisfactory marriage for 24 years to a man who’s controlling and mean. Brad’s a successful surgeon whose done nothing but demean and belittle her their entire marriage. She declares to herself that there will not be a 25th year in this relationship now that her two daughters have finished college. She now has to figure out how to make this happen and create a new life for herself.

Lauren’s decision is declared in the opening paragraph of this story so there
♥Rachel♥
I LOVE Robyn Carr’s writing, so I’ve been looking forward to The View From Alameda Island, it was amazing and crazy! I think this has been the craziest exes I’ve read from Ms. Carr, but the relationship between Lauren and Beau was steady and calming throughout any drama that came at them. Their romance was slow and steady, felt real, but also had heat and chemistry! I loved it!

Let me just tell you I wanted to strangle both of their exes! Their pictures would be up by the words “narcissistic”, “m
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) Meh. I desperately wanted to like this book, even just because of the cover. But alas, NO. The nicest thing I can say about it is that I think I’ve simply outgrown this insipid and overly-explained /exhaustively-described type of romance/women’s fiction. I probably wouldn’t have finished it but I was so sick while reading it that getting up to grab another book wasn’t an option. The cover is strong, though.
Susan
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, rabf

Robyn Carr

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is the story of Lauren Delaney and her seemingly perfect life. Perfect until it wasn't. She has two beautiful daughters and is married to a very successful surgeon. On her twenty fourth wedding anniversary she makes a decision that will change her life forever.......she walks away!

While visiting a local garden she meets a man, Beau, and they begin talking. He seems to be a kindered spirit but Lauren tries to keep her distance eve
Tina
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was a failure for me on almost every level.

The first part was rather boring. Lauren has been an emotionally abused wife who stayed in a marriage for years for the sake f her daughters. Her husband no only belittled, gaslighted and lightly physically abused her, but he used his daughters as blackmail to keep her in the marriage. But as the youngest daughter finally finishes college and is ready to move across the country, Lauren decides she is finally ready to leave.

Just when she makes
Kate Douglas
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I’ve finally nailed what I love so much about Robyn Carr’s books (beyond her skillful writing)—she doesn’t focus entirely on two main characters. She writes about family, about other lives and loves that connect and impact the actual leads in the story, but those other loves, the other men and women who populate her books, are as fully drawn and well developed as the primary leads.

THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND is a perfect example. Lauren Delaney is a woman on the edge of a new life when
Amy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
4.5/5

I just love Carr’s style, something about it almost soothes me even if she’s writing about some heavy stuff. I think it’s because she strikes the perfect balance between dark and light, and also due to the fact that her characterization is always on point and she has me invested in the people in her books before I’ve finished the first chapter. Whatever it may be, she’s damn good and I always know when I start one of her books that I’m about to begin an emotional journey alongside some memo
Anna
Lauren Delaney has been living a lie, enduring the demands and pressures of her egotistical husband. She's been waiting for their daughters to graduate high school to finally ask for the divorce that's been long overdue. While visiting the beautiful gardens at a local church, she encounters Beau, a fellow survivor of a dysfunctional marriage. The attraction is immediate, but they have both been hurt deeply by their spouses. As they support one another through the challenges of their divoreces, l ...more
Kelsie Maxwell
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The View From Alameda Island is great women’s romantic fiction from bestselling author, Robyn Carr. This is a tale of love, loss and second chances.

Lauren Delaney, wife and mother of two daughters is done with her marriage. She’s so done that she consults a divorce attorney on her twenty-fourth wedding anniversary. Her husband, Brad, is verbally, emotionally and physically abusive, and he’s a cheater. She stayed with him for the sake of her daughters but they’re grown now and Lauren is ready to
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This was a fast read. I had some trouble with Dr. Delaney he was the worst character. But I loved Lauren and Beau they made up the best part of this book.
Carr did it again, now on to the next great Carr book.
Kathrynn
In my opinion, the author did not polish this book before submission and the ending was very rushed. There were a lot of retelling of scenes we already went through with the main character. A lot. Felt like "filler" to me. There were a few places where the wrong character's name was used in a dialogue when that character wasn't in the scene.

As for the story, I felt it was okay. This book dealt with divorce:

* The main male character, Beau, was divorcing his wife because she would routinely leav
Laurene
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been and remain a longtime fan of Robyn Carr. The View From Alameda Island was good but it did not have the Robyn Carr wow factor. Still enjoyed it tremendously.

"We have to feed and educate the next generation, that's the only way we leave the world better than we found it."
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I enjoyed this romance with older protagonists who became friends while dealing with divorce. It wasn’t really riveting but a solid story nonetheless.
Siobhan
I’ve read a few Robyn Carr books and find I always enjoy them. Some I enjoy a bit more than others, but I’m always wiling to come back for more. The View from Alameda Island is another enjoyable read, but it does not make it into my top Robyn Carr reads. In fact, I’ve come to the conclusion all my favourite Robyn Carr reads are part of a series, with the standalones not quite wowing me in the same way. That being said, it’s still worth the read and I’d certainly recommend it to fans of the autho ...more
Marleen
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be totally honest I have a feeling that this isn't a recent story written by Robyn Carr. There's a lot of sentiments repeated over and over again, which is an easy trap only beginning authors fall into. This is the story of two kindred spirits; protagonists Lauren and Beau, who meet in a church garden over their shared love of plants, flowers and greenery, and find out that they both just got out of bad marriages; both had partners who subtly manipulated and verbally abused them for years. Bo ...more
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
The best kind of stories are the ones with a butterfly effect. A character changes and evolves to become so much more than they ever thought possible, emerging into something new and wonderful.

The change is often hard and has more obstacles than anticipated, but will be worth giving up the perception of perfect to become something and someone who is beautifully flawed yet emotionally on the way to wellness.

The View From Alameda Island is all that and more. A beautifully poignant read.
~Tanja

F
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3.5 STARS
2019; HARLEQUIN - MIRA
(Review Not on Blog)

The View from Alameda Island is a standalone novel but could fit in any of Carr's series in that it is another book you want more of the characters and where their story will go. I enjoyed this book because it is more than a contemporary romance with a HEA. Carr is another author that does well in balancing the dark with the light to make her novels relatable. When I read a Carr book, I know there will be a HEA, but the journey to get th
S.Q. Orpin
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Formula writing with one dimensional characters

This is not the story of a strong woman making a new life. It is a boring account of a whiney lifeless person who wants to blame everyone for her failed life. The description of abuse is straight from a pamphlet with zero depth of emotion. The husband has no redeeming qualities and there was no motivation for her to ever stay in the marriage. She runs straight into the arms of another man, yawn. There is no struggle or conflict only ridiculously sta
Karen Wahl
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Another great Robyn Carr book! It gave the readers a look at spousal abuse which is portrayed in all different forms. Also, the effects on raising children in this environment was shown too. Good story that kept my interest throughout the whole book!
The Lit Bitch
I have only recently discovered Robyn Carr’s books and so far I have really enjoyed the nice little escape they provide from day to day life.

Carr has written a number of different standalone books and various series, and clearly has a huge following of devoted fans! So far I have stuck with the Sullivan’s Crossing series but I have been interested in checking out some of her other novels.

She has been hugely successful and I can clearly see how experienced she is in her writing. Her books are oft
Miriam
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-life, romance
Robin Carr's newest stand alone novel revolves around marriage, divorce, and friendship. There are rough and smooth patches in this tale, for both the characters and with the writing. There are some segments that echo one another focusing on love and on the need to create distance from the abusers. Strong on communication and understanding on Lauren's and Beau's parts, particularly with their children, there are some difficult scenes to read through.

If you like romance and star-crossed, supporti
Kirsten
This is a Robyn Carr with a very serious subtext. In fact, she probably should have put some 1-800 numbers at the beginning for help lines.

A Robyn Carr has real people with real problems. A lot of times it's women recovering from different problems in their lives: alcoholism, cheating husbands, grief, etc. This time is no difference. Though this time it was much more serious. We are talking domestic abuse here and recognizing it's not just a bad marriage but abuse.

It is also about recovering f
Dawn ♥ romance
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I've enjoyed all this authors books and this was no exception. It had my attention from beginning to end. It had an interesting concept of developing a relationship while going through a divorce. It's a time you know exactly what you do and don't like in a person. Lauren finally decided to divorce her abusive husband and meets Beau who is also separated from his wife.
Kirsten
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Phoned in.

Robyn Carr's standalones are rarely as good as her series books, but this one was particularly uninspired, especially because for a book involving a hired hitman, a suicide attempt,, a bombing, two divorces, and a man graphically and violently beating his wife, it almost completely lacked suspense.
Teresa
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-2019
~ 2.5 Stars ~ The book seemed to drag along until an abrupt ending. All the characters were tied up in a few pages. The majority of the ending seemed far-fetched.
Linda Romer
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
The View from Alameda Island was an okay read, not my favorite. A story about abuse, divorce and new love. I just couldn't connect with the characters and wasn't thrilled with the story.
Katie
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Tracy
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Didn't want to put it down!
Peggy Clayton
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully written book that i sat and read in ones sitting. I loved the book as this writer is so polished in her writing and also the books has it's up and downs as does life. This is a book that you will want to read. This book Robyn hit out of the ballpark with ease!
Play Book Tag: The View from Alameda Island by Robyn Carr - 4 stars 1 15 May 26, 2019 10:45PM

• The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Window on the Bay
  • The Cliff House
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • California Girls
  • The Sea Glass Cottage
  • Sisters of Summer's End (Summer Resort #2)
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • A Walk Along the Beach
  • Surfside Sisters
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • The Friendship List
  • The Summer Retreat (A Moonlight Harbor Novel Book 3)
  • Summer at Lake Haven (Haven Point, #11)
  • Deep Harbor
  • The Summer Deal (Wildstone, #5)
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND, released in April 2019, deputed on four bestseller lists: The ...more