Start by marking “An Irishwoman's Tale” as Want to Read:
An Irishwoman's Tale

An Irishwoman's Tale

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Published July 8th 2008 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about An Irishwoman's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Irishwoman's Tale

Michelle
About the book:

A shattered cup. Cheap tea. Bitter voices asking what's to be done with the "little eejit." Mary, an impetuous Irishwoman, won't face the haunting memories--until her daughter's crisis propels her back to County Clare. There, in a rocky cliffside home, Mary learns from former neighbors why God tore her from Ireland for
Deborah Piccurelli
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every woman.
This is a wonderfully poetic book. I highly recommend it. Patti Lacy is a master story teller, and also expert at character development. Knowing it is based on a true story really haunts me. I'm looking forward to the next in the series!
Donna
May 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Boring........ although the cover and title looked promising.
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Completely melodramatic
Authors Express
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young Irish girl is bewildered when she's sent away not only from her family, but from her homeland as well. Raised by foster parents, she is troubled most of her life, but never tells a soul until one day, she finally lets go of everything inside when she tells a friend. This sets off a string of adventures when the two women head for Ireland in search of answers, healing and closure.

The story is true but written as fiction, though the details are so real, so vibrant, it's difficult to distin
Joleen
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland, sad
Having been forced out of her home in Ireland, alone, and sent to America at a very young age, Mary has snippets of memory that she tries to make solid with a couple of trips back to Ireland. All she gets are hints; no one ever comes right out and says what really happened, or anything concrete about her history. Her mother is vague, a neighbor is vague, her grandmother is vague. Only an aunt near the end finally gives her some information, and it's still not enough to satisfy a reader. Deaths, ...more
Jules Q
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
An Irishwoman's Tale is the story of Mary, torn from her mother at 5 years old and sent away from her Irish homeland to live with a couple in America. Through the years, Mary yearns to understand the events that define her life, and she longs to find the love of family that always seems to elude her. From a scared young girl to an angry and bitter young adult, Mary is a spitfire of a character. Even in her later adult years, she feels conflicted about herself and her past, seeking only to make p ...more
Myra Johnson
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always wanted to visit Ireland, and Patti Lacy's book only deepened that desire! Descriptions of rugged cliffs, pounding surf, and too many shades of green to name are the recurring backdrop to this deeply moving story of a woman's lifelong struggle to come to terms with her identity and find a lasting sense of self-worth. Cast out by the Irish family that didn't want her, sent across the ocean to live with relatives who are dysfunctional in their own way, Mary Freeman can't seem to find pe ...more
Beth
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gripping true story about a 5 year old girl sent to another country to call someone else "mom". Throughout the years Mary remembers her Irish roots, her "mam" and the cliffs of her homeland that call her home. Ireland is a mysterious land and has always been a destination on my bucket list. This is a gripping novel about a child the grows into adulthood yearning for the closure of her past, who needs answers to questions plaguing her and now her family. Her ability to have a friend is non-existe ...more
Pauline
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was a very difficult book to read. Just rather negative and dark. Always trouble. We all have trouble, but this woman's life focused on her past and the harshness of her childhood. She came to understand some of it, but there was no clear climax--just struggle. In the end, I wasn't sure if Mary was going to make it or not. It took quite awhile to read because I just couldn't take such negativity in large doses. I kept reading to find out the conclusion, but actually, it seemed there really ...more
Cindy
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What is most compelling about Patti Lacy's debut novel is her characters. As Mary Freeman struggles to understand the decisions that were made for her when she was a child, and her friend Sally supports her as she is also drawn into the tale, the reader quickly comes to care about Mary as much as Sally does. Reminiscent of the storytelling in Fanny Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, An Irishwoman's Tale will keep you reading to the end.

Cindy Thomson
Author of Brigid of Ireland
Karen Robbins
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Be prepared with plenty of reading time before you pick up An Irishwoman's Tale and open it to the first page. Patti Lacy has a character you will immediately grow to love, Mary, the Irishwoman. Lacy takes you step by step through this woman's struggle to understand and come to terms with her past from growing up in the Chicago area to her roots in Ireland. An excellent read--the kind of quality writing that makes you want more. And, as Dennis Hensley says on the backcover, "Solid storytelling."
Pamela
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Irish woman's tale is really an important read. Well written and deep. It reminds me that there is so much hardship in the lives of ordinary people. We don't see it. Sometimes we are even prone to criticize or form an opinion about others. This book is a good example of what goes into a life. Like a quilt, we look at the lives of others and see what we think is the complete picture, but beneath the surface is the tangle that created the masterpiece of life. This book is based on a true story.
Sheri
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An Irishwoman's Tale is an emotional all night read. Mary was born in Ireland, and sent to live with family in the United States. She always felt unloved and unwanted. She keeps these feelings locked inside, causing inner turmoil.

Beautifully written, Mary comes to terms with her inner struggles, feelings of abandonment, feeling unloved and unwanted, and just different than everyone else. Surprises await with each page as you will learn more and more about Mary's past, and how she copes in the pr
Catherine Richmond
What a powerful, gripping story - even more so because it's true! At age 5, Mary's stepfather demands she be sent away. Without explanation, Mary is sent from Ireland to Chicago. Her new mother is cold, her new father is busy with extramarital affairs. Mary wonders about her heritage, but returning to Ireland raises more questions than answers.
Jo Notary
320p Far away from her Irish home, Mary Freeman begins to adapt to life in Midwest America, but family turmoil and her own haunting memories threaten to ruin her future. It takes a crisis in her daughter's life -- and the encouragement of Sally, a plucky Southern transplant -- to propel Mary back to the rocky cliffs of her home in County Clare, Ireland.
Renae Bowman
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked at the Prologue. This author takes the reader on an astounding journey of one Irish girl's plight. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It kept my interest and was compelling. A few slow spots, but overall a good read.
Tina
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Patti Lacy has done a wonderful job weaving the true story she knows so well into this fictional tale. Its message of redemption is one readers won't soon forget. It will live on in your head for weeks to come, whispering the truths of forgiveness and grace.
Beverly
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to like this book. As I got deeper into the story it dragged and felt like it would never end. Many pieces felt like they were rushed together to get to the ending. It was hard feeling for the characters.
Ramona Anderson
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Good read

I loved the descriptions of Ireland. It took my mind and I did not want to put the book down. I learned a little about myself reading this one.
Kathy Cooper
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book, it was a story within a story. Loved the use of the Irish accent throoughout the telling.
Elaine
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't get much from this book - just thought it was so-so. I agree with the reviewer who says it's 'completely melodramatic.'
Peggy
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
For a debut novel, this is a winner. Very well done, Patti!
Katelyn
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot!! Being adopted and of Irish decent I felt I could connect with this story.
Bill Klanderman
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good read.
Mary Lou
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Would not recommend to anyone
Erin Baker
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A capitivating tale of a Irishwoman's childhood as she learns to find herself and God. It was listed as a Christian novel. I went through it quick!
Teresa
Sep 01, 2013
Amanda
May 29, 2014
Barbara
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Watching the Tree Limbs (Maranatha, #1)
  • Taking Stock
  • The Dream
  • Lady Justice And The Lost Tapes
  • Between Two Ends
  • Finding Jeena
  • An Ordinary Decent Criminal
  • Ace of Hearts (DECK of CARDZ, #1)
  • The Concert Killer
  • In Golden Splendor (Heirs of Ireland #2)
  • Beyond My Control: One Man's Struggle with Epilepsy, Seizure Surgery & Beyond
  • The Silla Project
  • Miami Snow
  • Rose House (La Rosaleda #2)
  • Gone
  • A Wedding Invitation (Heart of Carolina #4)
Patti Lacy, a Baylor University graduate, taught community college humanities until God called her to span seas and secrets in her Kregel-published novels, An Irishwoman’s Tale and What the Bayou Saw.

2011 brings two new Patti Lacy novels to bookstore shelves. The Rhythm of Secrets will release with Kregel in January; Bethany House will publish Reclaiming Lily in October.

Patti has two grown child
More about Patti Lacy...