Start by marking “Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Alta Edition)” as Want to Read:
Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Alta Edition)

Read Book* *Different edition

Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  204,302 Ratings  ·  4,878 Reviews
Including a memoir of the author, and an essay on his writings.
Published 1895 by Porter & Coates (first published April 25th 1719)

To ask other readers questions about Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, please sign up.

Jonathan Roberts At one point (30-35% in) Crusoe tells the reader how he is running low on ink, and so he decides to write only the important stuff. I was very happy…moreAt one point (30-35% in) Crusoe tells the reader how he is running low on ink, and so he decides to write only the important stuff. I was very happy to hear this...

Sadly he lied.

(less)
Cam The racism in the story is a contemporary issue, not a narrative. Slavery was prevalent during the time period, and is present in the story, though…moreThe racism in the story is a contemporary issue, not a narrative. Slavery was prevalent during the time period, and is present in the story, though not necessarily based on race. Native Islanders are sometimes referred to as "savages".(less)

Melissa
May 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that really serves to remind a modern audience of why we should kill whitey. Robinson Crusoe is the story of a young man with atrociously bad luck who, unfortunately for any shipmates he ever has, suffers from an extreme case of wanderlust. Every ship he gets onto sinks, but he just keeps getting onto them. Even after he's got a nice, successful plantation of his own, he decides he's just GOT to get on ANOTHER ship to -- get this -- procure himself some slaves. It cras ...more
Andy Madsen
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's really sad that people judge books from the 17th century from their 21st century politically-correct perspective. You don't have to agree with Defoe's worldview and religious beliefs to like the book. I'm repulsed by Homer's beliefs but I know his works deserve to be classics.

People who think this book is boring probably think hikes through majestic mountains or quiet afternoons in a beautiful garden are boring. This book is slow at times. But the slowest parts are the best. Defoe is a mast
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, food
Reading Robinson Crusoe is like reading a grocery list scribbled in the margins of a postcard from Fiji: "Weather's fine! Wish you could be here! Need fruit, veg, meat...." I understand it's an early novel and should be respected as a pioneer of the craft, but dang it, this is the most boring pioneer ever!
Shovelmonkey1
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: castaways everywhere
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
August 1651
Dear Diary,
Woo hoo! Run away to sea at last! Mum and Dad didn't want me to go but honestly, what's the worst that can happen? So far I'm loving life on the ocean wave and have only been a little bit sea sick. Anyway it's Bye bye Hull, hello Honolulu!
Yours, Robinson

January 1653
Dear Diary,
Sorry it's been so long. There was a minor incident with a shipwreck and just when I'd managed to find passage on another boat some pirates turned up and I ended up as a slave. I had to do loads of wor
Duane
Many consider this the first English novel. It was published in 1719, and the setting was around 1650. But the amazing thing about this novel is that it's timeless. Being stranded on a deserted island would be much the same today as it was 350 years ago. It's a great tale though, one I grew up with, along with Treasure Island and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The 18th century writing style is a negative for most kids today I would think.
Fernando
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"El mundo se me aparecía como algo remoto, que en nada me concernía y del que nada debía esperar o desear. En una palabra, me hallaba del todo aislado… me habitué a considerarlo en la forma en que acaso lo hacemos cuando ya no estamos en él… y bien podía decir como el patriarca Abraham al hombre rico: “Entre tú y yo hay un abismo."

Si hay algo que tengo que reconocerle a “Robinson Crusoe” es que según mi opinión dista mucho de considerarse como un libro de literatura juvenil, más allá de las cons
Monsieurboule
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hoo-boy!
I'm surprised and amazed and dismayed by the ex post facto muy-contempo correct-nosity readings below...shouldn't be, I guess, but am.
Gee whillikers, kids, uhm, here's one of the great social and, perhaps even more, spiritual documents of Western Civ, and it's a ripping read that declared ongoing archetypes, and it's getting dissed for...for being a bit blind to its own time. Which of us won't end up wishing for at least that when our tombstone gets knocked over?
'sides which, how many fi
Lyn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to estimate the literary (and cultural) impact of Robinson Crusoe.

First published in 1719, this is certainly the benchmark upon which most all castaway stories have been judged since. Though I had to consider that Shakespeare’s The Tempest was published in 1610. No magicians or witches here, and no Calaban lurking in the shadows, this is all about everyman Robin taking care of business on an island that may have been present day Tobago.

Having never read the novel before, I still fel
Nayra.Hassan
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, biography
لقد نجا..و لكن يا لها من نجاة مخيفة..فبعد ان ثار الأزرق الغدار..و ألقى بسفينته محطمة فوق الرمال. .
يغرق الجميع. .عداه..🌊
ليبقى روبينسون كروزو وحيدا..ليس لديه ما يأكله او يشربه..بلا سلاح. .بلا مهارات..ضعيفا ابله..لن يفيده حديثه الفاتن. .و لا ذكاؤه الاجتماعي..
.هكذا القى دانيال ديفو ببطله بدون شفقة او رحمة..لتبدأ أشهر مغامرة فرديه أدبية ..و لكن هل كان روبينسون او "سكليريك "البطل الأصلي يستحق الرحمة؟
في رأيي. .لا !! بل كان يستحق أكثر من 28عام من الوحدة القاسية..
فهو كان من هؤلاء ممن ينثرون الألم و وجع ا
Molly
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert...Robinson Crusoe was a total douchebag. If anyone deserved to get stuck on an island for 28 years, it was this guy. His story begins with his dying father pleading with him to stay at home, but the teenage Crusoe won't have it. He wants to be a sailor, he swears that he's meant to be a sailor, he totally loves the sea - even though he's never been on a boat. So, against his family's wishes he runs off to a buddy's ship. And guess what? He hates it. He's sick all the time, the boat ...more
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Julie, or the New Heloise
  • Ivanhoe
  • The Expedition of Humphry Clinker
  • The Crisis
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson
  • The Last Days of Pompeii
  • Kim
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • The Prince of Thieves (Tales of Robin Hood by Alexandre Dumas #1)
  • Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady
  • Love in Excess
  • Всадник без головы
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • The Female Quixote
2007
Daniel Defoe (1659/1661 [?] - 1731) was an English writer, journalist, and spy, who gained enduring fame for his novel, Robinson Crusoe. Defoe is notable for being one of the earliest practitioners of the novel and helped popularize the genre in Britain. In some texts he is even referred to as one of the founders, if not the founder, of the English novel. A prolific and versatile writer, he wrote ...more
More about Daniel Defoe...

Robinson Crusoe (3 books)
  • The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
  • Serious Reflections of Robinson Crusoe
“It is never too late to be wise.” 2886 likes
“Thus fear of danger is ten thousand times more terrifying than danger itself.” 87 likes