Start by marking “Once Upon a Snowstorm” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Snowstorm

Once Upon a Snowstorm

A wordless picture book by an exceptionally talented illustrator/animator to follow in the footsteps of The Snowman.

The story of a father and his son who live by themselves in a cosy cabin in the woods. But, one day they are separated out in the beautifully falling snow. The boy is lost and falls asleep. When he wakes up he is surrounded by blinking eyes, a rabbit, a fox,
Published November 1st 2018 by Faber Faber (first published October 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Snowstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Snowstorm

Start your review of Once Upon a Snowstorm
Calista
A wordless story about a boy walking in the woods with his dad and being separated. The boy is befriended by the animals of the forest. The artwork is lovely in this. It scared my niece a little. She has a hard time with stories about the loss of a parent. She wasnt too keen on the story and gave it 2 stars. The nephew enjoyed the boy riding the bear and found that pretty cool so he gave this 4 stars.

As wordless picture books go, this is alright. It didnt blow me away, but I like the winter
Hilary
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
2.5 stars. This short wordless picture book shows a young boy and his father living alone in the woods. I suspect the mother has died as she isn't around but there are her pictures on the wall. When the boy and his father go out for a walk in a snowstorm, the boy gets lost and falls asleep. When he wakes up he is surrounded by animals who help him home. I expect many will find the artwork and story appealing, this book had a modern Disney feel to it that just doesn't appeal to me.
Alex  Baugh
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still grieving the loss of their wife and mother, a young boy and his father, living on the edge of a wood, discover they have no food in the midst of a snowstorm. The two bundle up, dad carrying a rifle, and the two head out to hunt. The storm is so intense, father and son soon get separated. Tired from looking for his father, the boy falls asleep under the constellations of various star animals, only to wake up and find himself surrounded by forest animals, including a very large bear. ...more
Marinda
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are absolutely breathtaking. There are no words, but the art tells a majestic, heartfelt story.
Figgy
Gorgeous illustrations here, and a sweet story (without words) in which the animals help the boy find his father again.
Taryn
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story of discovery in pictures. Lovely.
Kelly
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
The wordless story in this beautifully illustrated book is easy to follow. Lovely.
Teresa Howard
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations
Janet Squires
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon A Snowstorm by Richard Johnson is a charming picture book with a twist. The tale is told entirely without words inviting young readers to imagine their own interpretations of the events that flow across the beautifully illustrated pages.

The story begins with a lonely father and son enjoying the beauty of the falling snow. When the boy becomes lost, hes discovered by woodland animals and finds refuge and friendship among the forest creatures. Eventually, his longing to be reunited with
Library_geek
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
There have been very few books that I have seen in my lifetime that have been wordless, the most reognisable to me is The Snowman. Once Upon a Snowstorm author/illustrator Richard Johnson has delved into this realm and created a visually, enchanting masterpiece that takes you on a journey with a father and his son where they live in a cabin in the woods.

Before I even opened the book I was captivated by the front cover. On the surface we see a boy, a bear and snow in the woods, but if you look
Sue Read
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Emotively illustrated, truly each picture seems to tug at a heart string. This is the wordless story of a father and son who go for a walk in the snowy forest and find themselves separated. The little boy is then cared for by the forest animals before he is safely returned to his father.

The illustrations are beautifully thought out. Some double spread pages of the snowy forest have an unworldly, ethereal impact on the reader; the more you look into them the more you seem to imagine and see.
Mary Judy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A father and his young son live by themselves in a cabin in the woods. One day; a day filled with falling snow; the two become separated. The boy is lost and soon becomes tired. He falls asleep, only to wake surrounded by dozens of wide, blinking eyes. He is surrounded by every woodland creature imaginable. While they soon become good friends, the boy misses his father and the animals take him home, where it is not only the boy that is welcomed with open arms. What a gorgeous winters' story! ...more
Meredith
When a small boy becomes separated from his father in a snow storm, he is befriended by woodland animals who take care of him and then bring him home.

This is a wordless picture book, which I didn't realize until I attempted to read it aloud at bedtime. Oops. The story employs the common theme in folklore of a child who is lost or abandoned in the wilderness being rescued by animals. The innocence of animals responding to the innocence of children.

I also wondered if the scene in which child rode
Vicki
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Jenna Mills
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Very sweet
Dolly Day
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great picture book with only illustrations and no text. A great way to get children to tell the story from the illustrations. High-quality illustrations.
Alyssa
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the illustrations, and they and lend themselves to asking questions/inviting children to tell the story.
Emily
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I just love wordless picture books.
Abbi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Wordless book with beautiful illustrations. But the lack of story kept this book from being very engaging to my kids.
Kim
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Winter Dance
  • Why?
  • Love Monster
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Dandelion's Dream
  • Walking in a Winter Wonderland
  • Truman
  • Hair Love
  • Before Morning
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Story Boat
  • Merry Christmas, Mr. Mouse
Not the same illustrator as Richard Johnson, illustrator of The Peanut Butter Hamster.

Richard Johnson is based in Lincolnshire, England, and works for a number of publishing clients. He specialises in Children's Book illustration with emphasis on Narrative and Sequential Imagery, Story Boarding and Character Development.

Johnson has also undertaken commercial work for clients including Harrods,