Start by marking “Whales: An Illustrated Celebration” as Want to Read:
Whales: An Illustrated Celebration

Whales: An Illustrated Celebration

A gorgeously illustrated, entertaining, and educational guide to the wonderful whales, dolphins, and porpoises of the world.

Some of the world's most fascinating and beloved animals, cetaceans have captivated the human imagination for centuries. Whales: An Illustrated Celebration explores the most interesting and illuminating facts about these marine mammals, from the
Published August 21st 2018 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Whales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whales

Start your review of Whales: An Illustrated Celebration
Jenna
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: illustrated, whales
Kelsey Oseid's illustrations -- apparently scientifically accurate but also appealingly tinged with personality and emotion -- make the enormous amount of up-to-date information in this book surprisingly digestible. I thought I knew a lot about whales before, but I now realize my previous knowledge was quite scattershot: not grasping the intricacies of cetacean taxonomy meant I used to be confused about which whales are closely related to which, which can echolocate and which cannot, etc. In ...more
Shan
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, the-sea
Fabulously illustrated and full of fun whale facts -- a one-sitting delight and a must-read for the cetacean-mad.
Maria
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A simple illustrated book on whales that takes little time to read, it is full of information that I found fascinating. We had a gray whale out front yesterday. They don't usually winter here. This book mentions how far some gray whales travel between mating and feeding grounds (We are a feeding ground). Some have gone as far as 14,000 miles! Other intriguing tidbits? The blue whale is bigger than any dinosaur that ever lived. There are some deep ocean beaked whales that have never been observed ...more
Julie
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Whales: An Illustrated Celebration” is a delightful overview of cetaceans, their evolution, habitats, interactions, and relationship to humans. The illustrations are detailed enough to be very informative, but are also high quality art pieces in themselves. The book is simple enough to be a read-aloud for children, but informational enough to be interesting to adults. I highly recommend the book to anyone even slightly interested in whales or life in the ocean.
Lydia
10/10 whale facts, 12/10 illustrations. recommended for a higher reading level in terms of kid non-fic but otherwise, go for it.
Kaley
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my partner for Christmas and we sat down and read it together. I was first drawn to the gorgeous illustrations, but they're not all this book has going for it. There's so much new information as well (especially if, like me, you know next to nothing about whales to begin with), but it's delivered in such a way that it never feels info-dumpy, and we gladly read the whole book in one sitting.
Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
This is such an easily digestible place to start if you're interested in whales but overwhelmed by all of the science that comes with learning about them! The illustrations are stunning and I absolutely love that there's a "how to help whales" page at the back. I want everyone to read this. Whales are the best!!
Maisie Iven
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art, great facts! Information is easy to read and follow, and the art keeps you engaged throughout!
Four, not five stars because the trim size made it kind of an awkward book to read. I couldn’t bring it with me places easily and it doesn’t live on a book shelf well because it’s so long.
Overall, highly highly recommend, especially if you love the ocean!
Sadie Burgher
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
What a beautiful book! It was utterly delightful to spend the past and hour and a half immersed in these gorgeously illustrated pages, learning a bit more about the majesty of cetaceans. Pro tip: read this while listening to "Songs of the Humpback Whale," recorded by conservationist Frank Watlington, whose work is mentioned in the book.
Bookish
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Gorgeous and instructive.
Ashley
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork and an informative look into the lives of whales
Romy
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
It really is a beutiful book that gives you a glimpse into the lives of whales, although I'd hoped for deeper going information
Jessica
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations and dense, scientific information. I purchased this for my K ocean unit, but the text is far too advanced for my students. Highly recommended.
Raphael Heard
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed all of different members of the cetacean family being listed, and each member having a nice tidbit of info about them.
Fritz Loehrke
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huge, detailed, and wonderful!
Andrea
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whales are the best.
Trish
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, animals, je
This is a great book about whales.
Sirri/Sivutiellä
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, informative non-fiction book. Recommended!
Matt
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of love and fascination for the lives of our cetacean "cousins". Terrifically artistically and scientifically! Just a treasure for kids and adults.
Rachel Sawyer
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book for people who want to know stuff about whales but want a general overview of the subject. The illustrations are very good and it has a lot of useful information.
dg
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a great beginner's guide to cetaceans, and beautiful as it is informative. i loved it!!
Paige
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing well put together book. When I ran across it in BAM I thought for sure it was going to be more centered towards kids. But it's not 'dumbed' down knowledge of cetaceans. I actually found myself learning something new! To be fair though it's not an in depth book about cetaceans but rather a well done fact book. Still the pictures were amazing and I like anything that teaches me something new!
Charlotte
Oct 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Our Rainbow Queen
  • The Adventures of Mundi the Puffin
  • Around the World in 80 Trees: (The perfect gift for tree lovers)
  • Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices
  • HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft
  • Nisei Daughter
  • Ask Baba Yaga: Otherworldly Advice for Everyday Troubles
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Proti zločinu