Start by marking “My Dog Laughs” as Want to Read:
My Dog Laughs

My Dog Laughs

Caldecott Honor winner Rachel Isadora's delightful introduction to the joys of having a dog stars a diverse ensemble of adorable kids and their beloved canine friends, in a style reminiscent of her popular I Hear a Pickle.

Dogs are amazing! Dogs are a lot of work! And here is the perfect book to help a child understand what is involved in living with one. Lively illustratio
Published August 21st 2018 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about My Dog Laughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dog Laughs

Tegan
Really sweet book about dogs. I loved all the different breeds and how it shows all the loving things dogs do.
Barbara
This exuberant celebration of all the ways dogs bring joy to our lives also serves as a primer on how to treat and train our beloved canine friends. The endpapers feature several dog breeds, including the author/illustrator's very own Mocha. Relying on ink and watercolor, the illustrations show various youngsters getting to know their dogs and their habits--some, such as a tendency to fart, not so adorable--and others, quite endearing. There is a section on how to teach dogs certain proper ways ...more
Alyssa Gudenburr
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very cute book about all the different things you can do with your dog and what your dog does. The pictures are small and the book is on the long side so this would make a better one-on-one story.
Simone
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
🌟🌟🌟 3 stars

Cute illustrations but very boring. Makes sense as I am adult...
Scooter Reads
Is fun book. Dogs do lots of things. I like da weenie dog named Carlos.
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books, dogs
This just became my new most favorite book ever in the world. I got all the feels while reading it and kept gushing over every single dog on every single page. I just can't even. I love dogs so much.
JoEllen
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Rachel Isadora books! Always a great representation of a variety of children/characters. This is a cute addition for dog lovers and can serve as a mentor text for young writers looking to write “info” all about texts collecting around ideas.
Vicki
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Large white papers for this book, with smaller illustrations help this book to be great to look at.

This book would be great for anyone thinking about getting a dog and those who have a dog and need to be reminded of the responsibilities in having a dog.
Steph
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
So cute for littles learning about life with a dog! (And that cover!!!!)
Missy Matula
I adored this picture book. I thought the dog illustrations were minimal, expressive and fun. This was a great way to introduce children to responsibility by taking care of something other than themselves. I think it was a great way to show empathy. It illustrated what it's like to have a companion in a dog and the loyalty and joy that comes with having a pet. Additionallhy, showing a boy in a wheelchair was great for children to see. It accommodated those with a handicap and accepting them as t ...more
The Library Lady
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a cat person. I like dogs, I just am not in love with them, as are many of the loons I see trotting them around in supermarkets, Target, Costco and other places I didn't think allowed anything but REAL service dogs.

That said, this IS a very sweet book about dogs. Of course, coming from Rachel Isadora, I'd expect that. Lots of kid appeal, lots of diversity both in dogs and kids.

One star off for the pug on the cover. I really hate pugs, having lived for years near a woman who had two. Not onl
Julie Kirchner
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! What a sweet, adorable book about dogs. It gives a glimpse into the responsibilities that go into owning a dog as well as all the little joys that accompany dog ownership. Kids will love it, especially all the different breeds throughout the book and on the endpapers. It almost makes me want to give into my child’s request for another dog. Almost!
Kate Nichter
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The design of the book has dogs all over the first page. The narrator talks about all the things their dog does. The illustrations look as though they were drew with pen then colored with water colors and/ or pastels. The layout of the book is choppy with different dogs and text randomly placed so it is hard to follow. There is not much of a story line other than all the things that dogs do.
Vivian Madrid
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fiction
Connection: Text-to-Teach
This a very good book for Pre-K to 1st grade. It have fun pictures and easy to read text. I would hare this book with many lessons in mind. Students can draw a picture of their favorite pet to incorporate art. The class could write a fictional story about an adventure with their family pet. The students could write about their favorite part of the book.
Beth
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an exceptional picture book for young children about their dogs! I loved every little illustration in the story of all the various dogs and their child owners. A wonderful picture book to own and read over and over, noticing something different in each illustration each time.

Highly recommended!
Anthony
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is written using vignettes to help children learn what it takes to be a dog owner. It covers meeting your dog, naming your dog, getting to know your dog, training your dog, taking care of your dog, playing with your dog, and loving your dog. Having a dog is a big responsibility and this book will provide lots of tips on being a dog owner.
Sheri
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This prose story is about dog ownership and children caring for their dogs. The different breeds, meeting and getting to know their dogs, as well as training their dogs, and taking them outside. The illustrations are fun with the dogs and the owners antics. Helps children understand dog ownership and the events that could happen. Spare text and illustrations help show the ideas.
MaryLibrarianOH
A diverse group of kids talk about all the things they do with their dogs and even how their dogs look like them. A fun story for kids who have a dog and those who long for one. The illustrations are "awe how cute" worthy.
Lindsey
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, kids
Utterly adorable. There isn't much of a narrative structure to this book, it's more informative, but the simple text (which sounds like it came straight from the mouths of children) and cute illustrations make this a joyful celebration of dogs and those who love them.
Great Books
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19-ages-3-5
A heartwarming celebration of kids’ relationships with their dogs- this endearing picture book realistically captures the love and responsibility of having a dog in your family. Isadora’s expressive water color and ink illustrations are sure to appeal to young dog lovers. Reviewer 2
Deuce Naftel
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elliot
My granddaughter was given this book at school as part of the R.E.A.D. dog program. She is 3 and absolutely loves this book! She loves telling the dogs to do their obedience commands in their pictures, as well as talking about all the different dogs.
Deb
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a sweet little book, all about doggies and their little people. The illustrations are charming, and there are just enough words to not overwhelm little readers. A perfect addition to your bookshelf.
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet illustrations and simple text about taking care of dogs and what we as human companions share with each other Walks, food, potty breaks even!Make this a fun and entertaining read aloud for kids wondering what it is like to have and care for a dog!
Syntha Green
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, beautifully illustrated, but some children might have a problem with the all over the place style of writing with multiple povs
Hmy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations, introduction to all aspects of dogs for littlies
Jared White
A celebration of all types of dogs, all the things they do, and the little companions who own them (which are almost as diverse as their furry friends).
Kelly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the simplicity of the book. This would be a wonderful read for any child who is getting a dog, planning on getting a dog, or has just gotten a dog.
Stacy  Natal
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute story for dog lovers, the illustrations are ADORABLE.
Jj
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Penguin Young Readers for the review copy.
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple illustrations with diverse subjects show ways dogs and humans interact and live together.
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.