Start by marking “Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles” as Want to Read:
Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles

Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles

(Ice Cream Man #1)

Chocolate, vanilla, existential horror, addiction, musical fantasy...there’s a flavor for everyone’s misery.

ICE CREAM MAN is a genre-defying comic book series, featuring disparate “one-shot” tales of sorrow, wonder, and redemption. Each installment features its own cast of strange characters, dealing with their own special sundae of suffering. And on the periphery of all o
Published June 26th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1, please sign up.
L. McCoy Some creepy images (it is a horror comic after all), some violence but not particularly gory or anything. There is some swearing (I think there’s a fe…moreSome creepy images (it is a horror comic after all), some violence but not particularly gory or anything. There is some swearing (I think there’s a few F-bombs but not PILES or anything IIRC, maybe 2 or 3, then again I wasn’t counting). I don’t remember any sexual content, if it was there it was very mild. One story tackles the issue of drugs but it’s anti-drug and sorta warns about the dangers of addiction and such. If it was a movie it would probably be a hard PG-13 or mild R. Hope this helps.(less)

Start your review of Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
Donovan
The best thing I’ve read all year. A sharp, funny, surreal, surprising nightmare. Like Grant Morrison meets Hitchcock. The Ice Cream Man is this bizarre trickster demi-god going around screwing with the mind space of a small unaware town. And beautifully illustrated. I’ll leave it that.
Sam Quixote
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Satan’s taken many forms in fiction: John Milton’s tragic fallen angel; the popular cartoonish red horned dude with cloven feet; Ned Flanders in that Simpsons Halloween episode; and now… an ice cream seller?! I don’t know exactly why they made that choice, other than some kind of playful juxtaposition with the innocence of childhood, but so it goes with W. Maxwell Prince and Martin Morazzo’s pretty decent horror anthology comic, Ice Cream Man.

There are four stories here in four issues, each wit
Matthew
If you are a fan of episodic horror like Tales from the Darkside, Tales from the Crypt, Creepshow, etc. then this is the graphic novel for you!

This first volume of the series is broken up into 4 unrelated tales that are pulled together through a maniacal and supernatural Ice Cream Man (who most likely calls the deepest and darkest levels of Hell his home). Each tale is told to shock, terrify, confuse the reader – and, in the midst of all these emotions, you might be entertained as well.

As this i
Dave Schaafsma
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-horror
In the past few years there I have read a few horror comics that trade in nostalgia, including Al Columbia’s Pim and Francie: The Golden Bear Days, Tom Neely’s The Blot, Cole Closser’s Black Rat and Little Tommy Lost, though I am sure there are many many others doing this. The idea with all of them seems to feature a love of early twentieth century comics which they then turn into objects of terror. All of them are aesthetically interesting and also often disturbing.

Ice Cream Man by W. Maxwell
Jon Nakapalau
"Twilight Zonish" - and I mean that as a very high compliment! The interweaving of stories through an enigmatic ice cream man who serves up dharma flavors you must choke on - fantastic! ...more
Dan Schwent
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-comics, 2020
Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles collects issues 1-4 of Ice Cream Man.

I'm a fan of Tales from the Crypt and similar horror anthologies from way back so this seemed right up my alley. And it was cheap.

There are four unrelated tales in this collection, bound together by the mysterious Ice Cream Man. The tales feature a kid living with the corpses of his dead parents, a couple junkies, a down and out one hit wonder, and a man giving his best friend a eulogy.

The art by Martin Morazzo is oddl
Chad
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Stephen King's Needful Things with some Twilight Zone weirdness sprinkled in. Four stand alone horror stories set in a small town connected by an Ice Cream Man who briefly appears in each story. There's some half baked attempt in the last issue to set a larger narrative but it doesn't go over well given the stories had been completely stand alone up to this point and the Ice Cream Man was barely in them. ...more
James DeSantis
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Extremely weird, sometimes aimless, yet entertaining read.

This is a little town where the Ice Cream Man resides to hand out, well, Ice cream to everyone. No, he's not a creepy pedo, which was my first guess when seeing the cover or reading about him. Instead, he almost haunts the town like the grim reaper. Going around doing the bye byes for most people in the town and showing them true horrors. This is four stories, all varying from really creepy and entertaining to just okay. The highlights b
DarienMoya

3.5 stars ⭐️ of extreme weirdness......
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Mixed thoughts on this comic. Some parts are interesting, some parts are lame. It’s very unpredictable and weird but the art... yeah not a fan and I didn’t care about the characters in any of these stories. It’s sorta like a comic book version of the Twilight Zone but not as cool. Overall this volume is decent enough but I’m not sure if I’ll bother reading more of this series (the ending is slightly intriguing so leaning a bit towards adding volume 2 to my reading list).

3/5
Moi  Baltazar
"There's a flavor for everyone's suffering. And make no mistake... Everyone is suffering."
Richard
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it

This new comic anthology features strange stories that take place in the same small town. And let me tell you, this book is totally NUTS! To best describe this book, it's best to use a quote from the book itself:
"I'm telling' ya, this town is really something else. It's just filled to the fucking brim with kooks and crazies and thirty-one flavors of weird shit."
Cheese
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
A mismatch of ice cream, arachnophobia, death and utter shite writing.
Rachel
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like this series is a bit overhyped. Okay art, hit or miss stories. It reminded me a bit of Stephen King’s Needful Things.
AleJandra
4 ESTRELLA

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge 2020
Un libro de tu categoría favorita de los anteriores PopSugar Reading Challenge - Una Novela Grafica
Bookishrealm
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic was so freaking strange!!! I really enjoyed it though. The artwork was interesting and the stories...they were crazy. If you haven’t read this definitely give it a chance. I’ll be posting my full review here once it goes live on my blog.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
This is a weird collection of short and, sometimes, horrifying short graphic stories. The first story was my favourite. I didn't particularly enjoy the other ones, but the ice cream man was still very creepy.
Artemy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
A fairly mediocre collection of horror-ish/supernatural (at Image these days, what isn’t?) one-shots loosely connected together by appearances of the titular Ice Cream Man, a sinister dude who is a devil or something. Not a terrible read by all means, but not a particularly memorable one, either.
Zec
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t really like anything about it. The Ice Cream Man doesn’t really make much sense and the stories are meh. The art is good.
Renee Nicole
I've had my eye on this series for a while, and was finally able to grab a copy of Vol. 1 last week. As a horror anthology that sways between feeling like Tales from the Crypt and Twilight Zone fan-fiction, I must say I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

The 4 stories told in this volume get progressively worse. The only thing that ties them together is the demonic Ice Cream Man, a mixture of 32 different flavors of evil. I was able to somewhat connect with the first story of Byron and his venomous pe
Erica
I suppose I liked this well enough but I know it's not going to stay with me.
It's like if Paper Girls had no time travel and was narrated by Rod Serling but for hipsters. Oh. I think that's called "Welcome to Nightvale," actually.

Normal-seeming town with strange goings-ons. Kids with killer spiders, a sinister ice cream man (because aren't they all?), a cop, music, death...you know, that kind of stuff.

The art is probably decent but it's not to my taste, though I wasn't visually offended, either.
Rue
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, horror
IMG-20191014-WA0001

For past couple of days I am in a zone for reading spooky (horrific) stories, And the once that i have read were remarkably amazing.
So when i picked this one up, i could see the loose ends and the unexplained nature of each anthology. Which didn't really resonate with me that well. I would describe it to be collection of stranger stories about some messed up people. I think what makes Ice cream man a rather devilish character is that, he somehow appears in those disturbing and weird happenings a
The Artisan Geek
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was soo good! This definitely gave me American Horror Story Vibes! Each chapter story deals with another topic another story, from scary spiders to meth addicts killing people. The thread that connects them is the ice cream man, who at first sight looks like an incredibly friendly and likable person, but turns out to be something completely different. The way different types of horrors are used also reminds me a lot of Junji Ito (one of my favourites!), but with less physical gore. Would de ...more
Shannon
This series is weird but also kind of boring?

And yet I keep reading it ...

Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Total review score: 1.75
Jordan West
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
3.5; a pleasingly offbeat, promising debut volume that gets a lot of mileage out of its enigmatic titular character, whose actions vary from mischievousness to pure malevolence, while the ending hints at the introduction of a larger mythology that is quite intriguing.
Drew
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strange, eerie, silly -- the most Bradburyian thing I've read in a long, long time, in the best possible way. Who is this ice cream man, and what is it that he wants? To bring joy? Terror? Chaos? Order? All of the above?

I wasn't convinced an anthology comic could work; I've been happily proved wrong. If some 'episodes' are better than others (esp. true in cases where the story fits the slim mold as opposed to feeling crammed into the single-issue confines), c'est la vie. The concept and the ima
Max Washington
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving, deep, and brilliant. And frightening.
Great writing, great artwork. I hope it becomes a TV show.
Alex Sarll
Another story hovering on the borders of anthology from the writer of One Week in the Library, and this at least avoids one of the big problems there in that, unlike that library with no readers or borrowers, the linking figure here does sell ice cream to customers. Sometimes with a little extra something included... The art has a suitably queasy, vaguely Chris Burnham thing going on, but the stories don't feel distinct enough - the first two both have someone going out to get a taste of somethi ...more
Kayla (onthefritz)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror, 2018-reads
A creepy Ice Cream Man haunts a town.

This was ok. Each issue is a different story with different people from the same town, they all unfortunately encounter the ice-cream man.

Very quick read, will continue reading the series.
Stay Fetters
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"What’s your name, kid?
B-Byron.
Fuck you, Byron.”

This was really messed up and then when you think it’s going to die down a bit, it gets even more messed up.

You’ll never trust the Ice Cream Man ever again!
I Read Comic Books: Ice Cream Man Vol. 1 3 16 Apr 26, 2019 08:18AM

• Ice Cream Man, Vol. 4: Tiny Lives
  • Ice Cream Man Volume 5: Other Confections
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 6

Articles featuring this book

Earlier this year, the co-creators of the hugely popular comic book series Saga announced that they'd be...