Start by marking “Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles” as Want to Read:
Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles

Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles

(Ice Cream Man (Collected Edition) #1)

Chocolate, vanilla, existential horror, addiction, musical fantasy...theres a flavor for everyones misery.

ICE CREAM MAN is a genre-defying comic book series, featuring disparate one-shot tales of sorrow, wonder, and redemption. Each installment features its own cast of strange characters, dealing with their own special sundae of suffering. And on the periphery of all of
Published June 26th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1, please sign up.
L. McCoy Some creepy images (it is a horror comic after all), some violence but not particularly gory or anything. There is some swearing (I think theres a few…moreSome creepy images (it is a horror comic after all), some violence but not particularly gory or anything. There is some swearing (I think there’s a few F-bombs but not PILES or anything IIRC, maybe 2 or 3, then again I wasn’t counting). I don’t remember any sexual content, if it was there it was very mild. One story tackles the issue of drugs but it’s anti-drug and sorta warns about the dangers of addiction and such. If it was a movie it would probably be a hard PG-13 or mild R. Hope this helps.(less)

Start your review of Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
Donovan
The best thing Ive read all year. A sharp, funny, surreal, surprising nightmare. Like Grant Morrison meets Hitchcock. The Ice Cream Man is this bizarre trickster demi-god going around screwing with the mind space of a small unaware town. And beautifully illustrated. Ill leave it that. ...more
Sam Quixote
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Satans taken many forms in fiction: John Miltons tragic fallen angel; the popular cartoonish red horned dude with cloven feet; Ned Flanders in that Simpsons Halloween episode; and now an ice cream seller?! I dont know exactly why they made that choice, other than some kind of playful juxtaposition with the innocence of childhood, but so it goes with W. Maxwell Prince and Martin Morazzos pretty decent horror anthology comic, Ice Cream Man.

There are four stories here in four issues, each with an
David Schaafsma
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-horror
In the past few years there I have read a few horror comics that trade in nostalgia, including Al Columbias Pim and Francie: The Golden Bear Days, Tom Neelys The Blot, Cole Clossers Black Rat and Little Tommy Lost, though I am sure there are many many others doing this. The idea with all of them seems to feature a love of early twentieth century comics which they then turn into objects of terror. All of them are aesthetically interesting and also often disturbing.

Ice Cream Man by W. Maxwell
Jon Nakapalau
"Twilight Zonish" - and I mean that as a very high compliment! The interweaving of stories through an enigmatic ice cream man who serves up dharma flavors you must choke on - fantastic!
Chad
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Stephen King's Needful Things with some Twilight Zone weirdness sprinkled in. Four stand alone horror stories set in a small town connected by an Ice Cream Man who briefly appears in each story. There's some half baked attempt in the last issue to set a larger narrative but it doesn't go over well given the stories had been completely stand alone up to this point and the Ice Cream Man was barely in them.
James DeSantis
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Extremely weird, sometimes aimless, yet entertaining read.

This is a little town where the Ice Cream Man resides to hand out, well, Ice cream to everyone. No, he's not a creepy pedo, which was my first guess when seeing the cover or reading about him. Instead, he almost haunts the town like the grim reaper. Going around doing the bye byes for most people in the town and showing them true horrors. This is four stories, all varying from really creepy and entertaining to just okay. The highlights
Richard
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it

This new comic anthology features strange stories that take place in the same small town. And let me tell you, this book is totally NUTS! To best describe this book, it's best to use a quote from the book itself:
"I'm telling' ya, this town is really something else. It's just filled to the fucking brim with kooks and crazies and thirty-one flavors of weird shit."
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Mixed thoughts on this comic. Some parts are interesting, some parts are lame. Its very unpredictable and weird but the art... yeah not a fan and I didnt care about the characters in any of these stories. Its sorta like a comic book version of the Twilight Zone but not as cool. Overall this volume is decent enough but Im not sure if Ill bother reading more of this series (the ending is slightly intriguing so leaning a bit towards adding volume 2 to my reading list).

3/5
Cheese
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
A mismatch of ice cream, arachnophobia, death and utter shite writing.
Rachel
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel like this series is a bit overhyped. Okay art, hit or miss stories. It reminded me a bit of Stephen Kings Needful Things. ...more
AleJandra
4 ESTRELLA

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge 2020
Un libro de tu categoría favorita de los anteriores PopSugar Reading Challenge - Una Novela Grafica
Artemy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, image-comics
A fairly mediocre collection of horror-ish/supernatural (at Image these days, what isnt?) one-shots loosely connected together by appearances of the titular Ice Cream Man, a sinister dude who is a devil or something. Not a terrible read by all means, but not a particularly memorable one, either. ...more
Bookishrealm
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This comic was so freaking strange!!! I really enjoyed it though. The artwork was interesting and the stories...they were crazy. If you havent read this definitely give it a chance. Ill be posting my full review here once it goes live on my blog. ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
This is a weird collection of short and, sometimes, horrifying short graphic stories. The first story was my favourite. I didn't particularly enjoy the other ones, but the ice cream man was still very creepy.
Zec
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I didnt hate it, but I didnt really like anything about it. The Ice Cream Man doesnt really make much sense and the stories are meh. The art is good. ...more
Rue
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, horror
IMG-20191014-WA0001

For past couple of days I am in a zone for reading spooky (horrific) stories, And the once that i have read were remarkably amazing.
So when i picked this one up, i could see the loose ends and the unexplained nature of each anthology. Which didn't really resonate with me that well. I would describe it to be collection of stranger stories about some messed up people. I think what makes Ice cream man a rather devilish character is that, he somehow appears in those disturbing and weird happenings
Erica
I suppose I liked this well enough but I know it's not going to stay with me.
It's like if Paper Girls had no time travel and was narrated by Rod Serling but for hipsters. Oh. I think that's called "Welcome to Nightvale," actually.

Normal-seeming town with strange goings-ons. Kids with killer spiders, a sinister ice cream man (because aren't they all?), a cop, music, death...you know, that kind of stuff.

The art is probably decent but it's not to my taste, though I wasn't visually offended, either.
Jordan West
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
3.5; a pleasingly offbeat, promising debut volume that gets a lot of mileage out of its enigmatic titular character, whose actions vary from mischievousness to pure malevolence, while the ending hints at the introduction of a larger mythology that is quite intriguing.
Max Washington
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving, deep, and brilliant. And frightening.
Great writing, great artwork. I hope it becomes a TV show.
Drew
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strange, eerie, silly -- the most Bradburyian thing I've read in a long, long time, in the best possible way. Who is this ice cream man, and what is it that he wants? To bring joy? Terror? Chaos? Order? All of the above?

I wasn't convinced an anthology comic could work; I've been happily proved wrong. If some 'episodes' are better than others (esp. true in cases where the story fits the slim mold as opposed to feeling crammed into the single-issue confines), c'est la vie. The concept and the
The Artisan Geek
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was soo good! This definitely gave me American Horror Story Vibes! Each chapter story deals with another topic another story, from scary spiders to meth addicts killing people. The thread that connects them is the ice cream man, who at first sight looks like an incredibly friendly and likable person, but turns out to be something completely different. The way different types of horrors are used also reminds me a lot of Junji Ito (one of my favourites!), but with less physical gore. Would ...more
Alex Sarll
Another story hovering on the borders of anthology from the writer of One Week in the Library, and this at least avoids one of the big problems there in that, unlike that library with no readers or borrowers, the linking figure here does sell ice cream to customers. Sometimes with a little extra something included... The art has a suitably queasy, vaguely Chris Burnham thing going on, but the stories don't feel distinct enough - the first two both have someone going out to get a taste of ...more
Stacy Fetters
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"Whats your name, kid?
B-Byron.
Fuck you, Byron.

This was really messed up and then when you think its going to die down a bit, it gets even more messed up.

Youll never trust the Ice Cream Man ever again!
Sep 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: comics
Super creepy. Haven't decided what I thought yet. I'm glad I was in a car with friends when I read it.
Kayla (onthefritz)
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, comics, horror
A creepy Ice Cream Man haunts a town.

This was ok. Each issue is a different story with different people from the same town, they all unfortunately encounter the ice-cream man.

Very quick read, will continue reading the series.
Michael Emond
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this because Brian Vaughan recommended it on Goodreads and I must say - I love everything Brian writes but I unfortunately cannot trust his recommendations because this book was a waste of time. Thankfully it is a mercifully short read.

The artwork is wonderful - I will not debate that. It reminds me of Frank Quitely. Hence the 2 stars instead of just 1.

The premise is horrible. Mostly because the author goes out of his way not to let us in on what the premise is. There is a smiling Ice
Shannon
This series is weird but also kind of boring?

And yet I keep reading it ...

Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Total review score: 1.75
Chad Jordahl
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure why I liked this. I guess it's the writing? Because normally this type of weird story and the style of art would not appeal to me. I liked it beyond expectations.
vostendrasamigosyotengolibros
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

A waste of pages.
Gareth Howells
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-graphic-novels
Gutted with this one. I was really looking forward to it and heard and read lots of good things about it. I am a Twilight Zone fanatic and heard it had a similar vibe.
The concept may be similar...sadly the stories were nothing really to get excited about. As each one finished I thought "oh, is that it?", hoping for a good justification for the build up or the characterisation in the previous pages.
I liked the artwork but sadly didn't get anything from the stories.
I Read Comic Books: Ice Cream Man Vol. 1 3 15 Apr 26, 2019 08:18AM

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Gravediggers Union, Vol. 1
  • Silver Surfer: Black

Ice Cream Man (Collected Edition) (5 books)
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 2: Strange Neapolitan
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 3: Hopscotch Melange
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 4: Tiny Lives
  • Ice Cream Man Volume 5: Other Confections

Articles featuring this book

Earlier this year, the co-creators of the hugely popular comic book series Saga announced that they'd be go...