Start by marking “Crying Laughing” as Want to Read:
Crying Laughing

Crying Laughing

Winnie Friedman has been waiting for the world to catch on to what she already knows: she's hilarious.

It might be a long wait, though. After bombing a stand-up set at her own bat mitzvah, Winnie has kept her jokes to herself. Well, to herself and her dad, a former comedian and her inspiration.

Then, on the second day of tenth grade, the funniest guy in school actually laugh
Published November 19th 2019 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Crying Laughing, please sign up.
Brian Just what would you consider inappropriate? And do you honestly expect a book about high school students not to have a little language?

Start your review of Crying Laughing
Lance Rubin
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book. I am really proud of it, and I hope you enjoy. (This review is actually 4.5 stars but I rounded up to 5 because I wrote it.)
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, contemporary, arcs, ya
This should have been a great year for Winnie. She had her two best friends at her side, a cute older boy was showing interest in her, and she was going to attempt performing again, but then, things started to unravel. Friend drama, boy drama, epic comedy fails, and worst of all, her father's ALS diagnosis had Winnie wondering where she could find any humor in her life, but with love, and yes, comedy, Winnie was able to find her way.

I think my first update for this book was about how I had alrea
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I'm getting an ARC! Emoji on books is so late-2000s, but I'll accept it.
🌈⭐️RoseOfRainbows⭐️🌈💕
Laugh out loud funny, witty and has an all encompassing warm fuzzy feeling to it from the very first page, to the last goodbye. Absolutely 5/5 stars for being he new comedic read of the century.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

I won't lie, titling a book Crying Laughing is setting the bar pretty high, right? You're gonna make me laugh and cry, book? You promise? Well, it definitely didn't lie, because I absolutely genuinely did both. It starts out mostly funny- but I assure you there are tears, and not just our main girl Winnie's. I shed a few myself by the end, no question. So let us talk about what made
Bridget
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The title says it all, it's going to make you cry and it is going to make you laugh out loud.

There is a great young woman, opinionated and nice. There is the lovely Dad, he gave up his comedy career to bring up his daughter while Mum went out to work. And there is the no nonsense Mum. A bunch of friends complete the cast along with a weird drama teacher.

I loved loved loved Denton Little's Deathdate which was this author's first book. It was hilarious, it does huge business in my library, I have
Sarvenaz Tash
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a love letter to comedy even (and especially) in the most trying times and it succeeds on every level. I was in awe of how easy it was to get swept up in the highs and lows of Winnie's performances--not an easy feat for a book to accomplish, but this one 100% does. It's also the most aptly titled book ever as there are genuine, laugh-out-loud moments layered over a complex story of a devastating diagnosis and its profound effect on a family's dynamics. Most importantly, Winnie Fried ...more
Sharon Roat
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story... with heartbreaking and heartwarming insights into the issues and emotions surrounding an ALS diagnosis, and some delightful improv scenes. Winnie and her friends and improv troupe-mates make for a wonderful and rich cast of characters. Also Winnie's mom and dad. I'm adding Russ and Dana to my list of favorite YA parents. Put this one on your pre-order list... it comes out in November 2019!
Catherine Tinker
*eyes my own comedy nerd YA WIP, sweats nervously*
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club, Netgalley and Knopf for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay but seriously I was not expecting this book to hit me the way it did, and wow. Sometimes part of me forgets that contemporary characters can go through some difficult things in their life, not just t
☆☆Hannah☆☆
I'm one of the few people that didn't like this book. I never really connected with Winnie or anybody else. I didn't even care much for either Fletcher or Evan and they were her romantic interests. The only thing that I liked was that her father was able to keep a sense of humor through everything that he had to go through. Maybe if I was younger I would've enjoyed this but as an adult I just didn't see the appeal of the characters.
Katherine Paschal
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
**3.5 Stars**

"Evan won't bite."
“What about that dinosaur scene from last year?” Mahesh says, and most of the group laughs. “Oh man, good point,” Mr. Martinez says. “The controversial dinosaur bite scene.” What the hell? “I stand corrected. Evan probably won’t bite.” I don’t care how funny and charming he is; if Evan tries to bite me in this scene, I will judo-chop him in the testes.

I will admit that I was hoping that Crying Laughing would be along the similar feel of the author's previous book D
Brenda
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I’ll give this 4 stars because it brings some awareness to ALS. I think the author could have and should have delved deeper into the devastating disease part of the book, crying does come first in the title after all. My understanding of improv from this book also seems rudimentary, even for YA. I feel like someone told him to throw in cursing to make it appeal to the teen audience which didn’t sit well with me. It seemed like the author worked too hard to include so much diversity in such a sma ...more
Rhianna Gale
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, favorite, romance
OMG, I AM LAUGHING THROUGH MY TEARS AT THIS POINT. AHHHHHHHH <3 <3 <3

Okay, okay. I have collected myself enough to see past the tears. Jesus, where do I even start. Lance Rubin captures the pure beauty of true friendship, family, and finding a way to laugh even through some of your toughest moments in this heartbreaking yet touching book. I found myself laughing 1 page then....BAMB! I turn the page and I am hysterically crying.

It all takes place with our main character Winnie, who has just turne
Jamie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It takes some guts to write a book about a funny person. Even more guts to have that funny person join an improv troupe - how do you make written improv funny? And even more gutsy, to then write that character bomb as often as they kill. While DENTON LITTLE was truly laugh out loud funny to me, every giggle was a surprise; for CRYING LAUGHING I went in worried, tense that being told I’m supposed to find Winnie Friedman funny would inadvertently make it hard for me to laugh.

I shouldn’t have doub
Lindsay Nixon
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it

What a wonderful, delightful book! + a beautiful manifestation on healing and dealing through art (here it’s improv) wrapped up 💝 in a story about family and “coming of age” all the feels and hugs.

SUMMARY: Winnie’s father was a standup comedian (which he gave up to raise her) and comedy had always been something they connected on. Winnie LOVES comedy and wants to be a comic herself one day or a writer for a comedy show such as Parks and Rec - she’s too scared to perform for an audienc
Michelle Marie
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Book #67 of 2020 • Crying Laughing by Lance Rubin • Finished 07/20/20

Crying Laughing falls into the weird gap that sometimes opens between middle grade books and young adult books • Listed as targeting an audience ages 12 - 17, it skews much more to the younger side of that age range

Winnie Friedman aspires to be a comedian but after bombing her first public set at her own bat mitzvah, she's not sure she has what it takes • Her second day of 10th grade, she makes the funniest guy in school laugh
Brandi Collins
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much. Winnie is such a likable character because she seems real to me. She's a 15-year-old girl trying to navigate her family issues, friendship evolutions, and love life problems while trying to keep her sense of humor during her sophomore year of high school. High school alone is a good reason to need a sense of humor even without all the issues Winnie must deal with, especially her father's medical crisis. While reading the story, I wanted to jump into the pages and ...more
Rebekah
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: laugh-out-loud
1 Sentence Summary: Winnie's dream is to be a comedian, so she joins the improv troupe at school, but then she finds out her dad has ALS and everything seems to start going wrong.

My Thoughts: This was a fun read. I laughed at many parts, but while there was humor it was serious as well. Winnie's relationship with her parents was well written.

Recommend to: People who want to cry & laugh (haha I'm hilarious).
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: 🙂
Drinking Buddy: Guarded
MPAA Rating: PG (Language, adult situations)
Talky Talk: I Need a Word...
Bonus Factors: Improv Comedy, ALS, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Bromance Status: Scene Partner

Read the full book report here.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I'm so glad I picked this up, it is SOO cute. I did in fact both laugh and cry, I loved Winnie, this is a very fun story.
Bella
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This may have been the funniest and best book I have ever read!
Maggie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this story so so much. It was smart and funny and poignant and packed a good punch for a short YA.
Mary H
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was very much not for me.
Karen
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic-ya
I had great hopes for this book because it is hard to find really good humorous books for YA, but for me it fell flat. That being said, I think there will be teens out there who will enjoy reading this book and love the improv troupe. There is an abundance of curse words that also turned me off especially since the main characters are fifteen-years-old.
Les
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY HEART!!!

ugh! this book!

admittedly, i was sad that there would be no more denton little but of course, it's very unfair to hold an author (or any artist really) to any of their past projects when they obviously have so much more to give and in this case it was proven because LR did not let me down!!!!

life works in such a funny way because i just finished watching "youre the worst" and in that, Edgar joins improv, and i feel like watching that set it up to where i was able to understand this bo
Arlen
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
Crying Laughing by Lance Rubin
Publishing date: November 19, 2019
Read courtesy of netgalley.com

5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

If we couldn't get more of Denton Little, at least we have Winnie Friedman. Cleverly written story about comedy without being forced and corny -- quite an achievement. Makes me want to start an improv club for my students!

Even though I know a bat mitzvah is for girls and a bar mitzvah is for boys, and the reader is told about the character's bat mitzvah, I still found myself [pleasantl
Ida
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crying Laughing by Lance Rubin follows a teenage girl by the name of Winnie Friedman through her occasionally unfortunate life. As she tries to find people she actually wants to be around and deal with something that could completely change her life, Winnie has a lot of decisions to make. It is an original read from cover to cover, introducing many engaging topics. This book was highly enjoyable and made me laugh out loud.
By choosing to write a girl who is both enthusiastic about comedy, but al
Amanda Cora
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It took me a while to get into this one but I did quite enjoy it at the end. For whatever reason all the references really jumped out at me and made it hard for me to stay in the world and I wasn't necessarily laughing at any of the comedy. But the scene in Chili's and the resulting scenes really moved me.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Children's, and Lance Rubin for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ms. Yingling
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Public library copy

More of a YA title, but interesting concept.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• We Are the Perfect Girl
  • Unscripted
  • What I Carry
  • Right to the Kill (Harmony Black, #5)
  • Dress Coded
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • Say Yes Summer
  • Better You Than Me
  • All Together Now
  • The Gone Dead
  • Girl, Unframed
  • Through Blood, Through Fire (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #8)
Hey there, I'm Lance Rubin.

I wrote the DENTON LITTLE series (now a Snapchat original series) and CRYING LAUGHING, coming in November 2019.

I also co-wrote THE LOST CAUSES OF BLEAK CREEK with Rhett & Link and the musical BROADWAY BOUNTY HUNTER with Joe Iconis & Jason SweetTooth Williams.

I'm from New Jersey. It's a way better state than people give it credit for. I went to Brown University, and no