Start by marking “Neogenesis (Liaden Universe Book 21)” as Want to Read:
Neogenesis (Liaden Universe Book 21)

Neogenesis

(Liaden Universe Publication Order #21)

NEW ENTRY IN THE NATIONALLY BEST-SELLING LIADEN UNIVERSE SERIES. Sequel to national bestseller The Gathering Edge.

Menace from Back Space Looming out of the Dust of Time

The Complex Logic Laws were the result of a war waged hundreds of years in the past, when two human powers threw massive AI navies at each other and nearly annihilated themselves. Being human, they blame
Published January 2nd 2018 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Neogenesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neogenesis

Start your review of Neogenesis (Liaden Universe Book 21)
Kathleen
Dan
Very good, it tied so much together, well worth paying $15 for the eARC.
Thea Maia
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must read. Run, don't walk to get hold of this, if you are a devoted fan!

This is a new favorite in a favorite series! Not an easy read for a reader new to the Lee and Miller's Liaden Universe novels, Neogenisis is an awesome rollercoaster ride for the intrepid series reader! One of the all time best in an amazing series, Neogenisis answers long standing questions for devoted fans - and brings up new gobsmacking plot points! From the very old, to the very newest characters and storie
Beth
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc
Many plot lines tied up and new ones threaded. Great addition to the overall plot arc!
The POV seems a bit hippity skippity but there's just a lot happening in a little time across large distances.
Paraphrodite
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this, lots of things happening all over. Also, good to see that most of those dangling threads from the previous couple of books being neatly tied together in this installment. Can't wait to see what's going to happen next on Surebleak and the Clutch!
Betsy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, future, space
It took me a little while to get into this book. I was almost ready to quit at about 25%, and this is an unusually long book for a Liaden novel. After that things began to pick up and get more interesting, but there were several seemingly separate plot threads and the book skipped around among them much too often. It was frustrating. It felt a little like I imagine handling a team of fractious horses using only your two hands. By the end, of course, the separate threads began to weave together a ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Loved it a lots! Tons of loose ends tied up neatly in a bow. Great depiction of the dissonance between Theo and Val Con. I loved all the characters. And the tree is great.
Susan
I received an eARC from Edelweiss and Baen in exchange for an honest review.

Neogenesis is the 21st book in the Liaden Universe series and I read the whole thing today because I could not put it down. Now that I know What Happens, I'll go back and re-read it again a little more slowly in order to savor it more fully.

Lee & Miller did a masterful job of tying up the loose ends left from The Gathering Edge; we find out what happens to Tolly, Hazenthull, Tocohl, Inki after their rescue of Admiral Bun
Barb in Maryland
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
Oh, my! One of the best in this long-running series. I just gulped this one down and then went back to read it again to make sure I hadn't missed anything. {good book sigh}
Many of the story threads that have dangled through the last several books are tied off in this one. Hooray! But not without giving the long-time reader a jolt or two (or three...). And just so the reader doesn't get bored or complacent, another thread (or two) is introduced, leaving the reader to ask "what next?!"

I r
Charlie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-books, reread
Scrumptious. The 21st, and next to last in this ongoing arc of the Liaden Universe brings many stories forward and allows us to see more about characters we'd nearly lost track of. Tocohl, Tolly (Tollance Berik-Jones), Hazenthull all get significant roles, as does Theo. The action takes place in multiple locations, including Surebleak, Bechimo, Admiral Bunter, Tarigan, and Tinsori Light. A thoroughly satisfying book, and an excellent precursor to the 'fifth of five' that is to follow. There are ...more
Teresa Carrigan
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Satisfying conclusion to the current Liaden Universe story arc. The various separate story threads combined nicely with only Shan yos'Galen and his crew missing. The story will clearly continue of course. After the ending, a related story previously available as a chapbook is included, which takes place earlier in the chronology.

I caught several amusing literary references, to stories by other SF authors and even to Monty Python.

You do not need to have read any of the other Liaden Universe stor
Cyn Armistead
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First, let it be known that I am an unabashed fangirl when it comes to Lee and Miller. That much has long been established. Should they care to publish their grocery lists, I would most likely purchase and read them.

That said, Neogenesis is an amazing book, even among their other marvelous works. I just finished it, and already I am planning a re-read. It isn't a good entry point for their universe, admittedly, for it ties together many different plot threads that were first spun out in earlier
Felicear
eARC consumed rapidly! I really enjoyed the newest book in the Liaden Universe series. This book wove together many threads from previous books. Not to worry, the Universe still has many adventures in store for us readers. I am anxiously looking forward to the next release...which is sadly a long way off...
Leslie
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 *

This latest entry in the Liaden series wrapped up several plot lines from the previous books (though not all). I would have liked more about the Clutch Turtles but given the ending, I anticipate they will be more involved in the next book...
Debrac2014
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the EARC! Wonderful story! Great ending! It ties up most loose ends, except for Brother Rys! Korval now has more clan members! I can't wait to find out what's up with the the Clutch!
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This was an excellent addition to the series and read, right after, Alliance of Equals and the Gathering Edge, a very satisfying spot to leave the story for now.
I enjoyed revisiting Tinsori Light because I had read the short story years ago and always thought it was intriguing. Tinsori Light, the Uncle, Korval, and AIs play huge roles in this book as usual. The Tree, as always, is in the background, orchestrating great events and no small amount of havoc.

If a person, by this poi
Kerry
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9, sf, ebooks, 2018
It is very satisfying to have got myself caught up with this series again. Well technically, I'm almost caught up as I still have to read Trade Secret, which I missed somewhere along the way. And since there was a reference in this book that I think relates to that one, I'm going to try to get to it soon.

Everything is coming together and the only sad thing about being caught up is that I now have to wait until next year for the next one.

This is NOT the place to start this series, and if you've c
Eileen
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an answer to what happens next for many of the Liaden Universe story threads. The authors have spun a yarn to the completion of the equivalent of a complicated pattern without dropping a stitch. You have to concentrate to remember what happened before as the players come on the scene, but all becomes clear.

But wait, now that the universe is saved we have more questions in the wings. So it's not all over yet. Why did the Clutch ship land on the driveway? Will Xtrang become of more import
Karen
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely give out 5 stars, but the rating is for the series as a whole. Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe is an exceptional read. Who can find fault with sentient trees, cats, spaceships, clutch turtles and computers?

I know I am odd about series. I love a first book, buy the rest of the series and many times I can't even make it through the second book. The Liaden Universe is different, I read the entire series in six weeks, and this was for most of the books a second read.

05/04/2020
Sctechsorceress
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, e-books
Utterly brilliant! I just finished this book, and I am blown away! And the ending! I stayed up too late reading it,and it's worth it!

A more thoughtful review will follow, perhaps tomorrow at my website -
Joy Smith
I've been waiting for Neogenesis since The Gathering Edge, which I did not enjoy as much. The story moves from character to character and location to location. I remembered most of the characters, including some of my favorites: jeeves, the Tree, Nelirikk, the Korval clan, Yuri Shaper, the Bedels, Admiral Bunter, Daav and Aelliana (newly returned), the two Pathfinders, and more--even the Uncle (he grows on you). And the new villain, the Lyre Institute and its minions, is scary. Their threads are ...more
Eden
2019 bk 319. The Liaden Universe continues with this focus on the continued concern on the part of the Korval clan for its small size. In this novel the clan regains two members, cloned members, the return of a member who has been out of touch for at least two hundred years, and the announcement of coming births. The discussion of "Are AI / Clones to be considered independent entities with the rights of humans?" and this partially comes to a head. We also learn more about the antecedents of the ...more
Strangeattractor
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book wrapping up threads started in previous books. Some long-anticipated things happened, and I wasn't happy about how all of them were handled since I'd been imagining something different and because big important pieces were left out or glossed over. However, overall I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one in the series.

Some food for thought about ethics of AI, cultural differences, hidden identities. Some nice slice-of-life character moments.
Li
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, read-in-2018
Latest Liaden installment, and unlike the more recent releases, I felt there was FINALLY some progress in the overall series arc. I am still on the fence around some kind-of-icky cultural appropriation when it comes to their Bedel community, but hurrah for actually moving on with the story. Could have done with fewer plot threads to track, but you can’t have everything…
Jacqueline J
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than many of the last handful of books in the series. More scenes with my favorite characters and the cast of characters was held to a minimum. I wasn’t asked to get to know and care about a bunch of new extraneous people in this one. And yeah! For the resolution oh Dav’s situation.
Paraphrodite
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, listened
4.5 stars.

Refreshing myself with the Liaden Universe prior to the latest book. I still enjoyed this, although I think it's easier to read than to listen to with so many threads and jumps.

This is such a complex universe which makes it harder to keep track when you're listening, since you don't get the visual cues that come from the different text fonts.

I would love to see a GraphicAudio version of this series!
Melita Kennedy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clears up a bunch of ongoing threads so yay!
Zaphied
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tied a good lot of the messy simultaneous threads that bind the Liaden series down into a less snarly bundle in prep for the next book. The interlude between now and next will be painful waiting.
Kathryn Baron
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This episode broadly resolves many plot threads. Perhaps too many. There wasn't much room for the character development or interaction I normally enjoy so much. Also many of the resolutions seem superficial. e.g., issues that have dominated much of previous books are resolved without a great deal of trouble but the repercusions of the resolution, or indeed how it actually happens is left unexplored.
Rich Van Ollefen
Overall, I enjoy the Liaden Universe stories, the conversational style of the characters is out of sync for me, but I view it as part of the environment, it just takes a while to get into the flow. My only real issue with the book is that it felt glacially slow in story progression. It did add some new wrinkles regarding AI that were interesting, and a small revelation about the Uncle.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Space Opera Fans : Neogenesis 6 37 Mar 29, 2018 02:23PM
Book Riot's Read ...: Challenge #17 2 214 Jan 10, 2018 05:59AM

• Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Resurgence (Foreigner #20)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
  • The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)
  • Emergence (Foreigner, #19)
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
  • Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)
  • Though Hell Should Bar the Way (Lt. Leary, #12)
  • Knife Children (The Sharing Knife #4.5)
  • Stars Beyond (Stars Uncharted, #2)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she

Liaden Universe Publication Order (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Agent of Change (Liaden Universe, #9)
  • Conflict of Honors (Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Local Custom (Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Crystal Soldier (The Great Migration Duology, #1; Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Crystal Dragon (The Great Migration Duology, #2; Liaden Universe, #2)

News & Interviews

“Cozy place you got here,” he said, looking around the office. “You read all them books?” “I fear not. But one cannot simply get rid of books, you know. Especially books which have reposed so long on the same shelf.” “Reckon they’re good insulation,” Yulie said, nodding at the shelving stretching from floor to ceiling along the interior wall.” 4 likes
“She would change, but she would remember. That was—growth. Growth was key to continued existence.” 2 likes