Start by marking “The Mistake” as Want to Read:

8 hours, 26 minutes

You think you know the truth about the people you love.

But one discovery can change everything…

Eight-year-old Billy goes missing one day, out flying his kite with his sister Rose. Two days later, he is found dead.

Sixteen years on, Rose still blames herself for Billy’s death. How could she have failed to protect her little brother?

Rose has never full
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published November 28th 2017 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Mistake, please sign up.
Lindi That's what I want to know too... But the fate of the library isn't revealed.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Diane R Wilkinson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Kim Nash
I love this type of book, the one where the mystery aspect of the plot isn't really the focal point, but the tension, thrills, and chills are what takes the front seat! This was actually my first read by Slater; I've been meaning to pick up her books for the past year but my schedule hadn't allowed me to participate in the blog tours until now. I had every confidence that I would enjoy this book, as I enjoy all of the books I receive from Bookouture, but this one exceeded my expectations! Someti ...more
Kaceey
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been reading a lot of thrillers lately that deal with obsession and manipulation.
K.L. Slater’s latest thriller Mistake shows the control one man has over a naive girl, who believes she’s found her true love. How blind we all can be when our emotions take over. How easily we put aside the warnings when our head is screaming NO! Only to follow what our heart wants. Sadly, more often than not, with painful consequences that effect our lives and relationships for years to come.

When Rose is on
Holly  B
4.5 Stars

K.L. Slater is becoming one of my favorite authors. This was my second book by her and it did not disappoint! It was fast-paced and kept me guessing all the way through!

Rose is playing the blaming game with herself. Sixteen years ago her eight year old brother, Billy went missing while she was watching him. He was found dead and Rose is still asking herself what if....

Rose has looked in on her elderly neighbor, Ronnie since his wife passed away. He has been a good friend to her for man
Carrie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sixteen years ago Rose's eight year old brother Billy went missing and after two days of the town searching his body was unfortunately found. Rose has never gotten over the loss of her brother, she loved him with all her heart and blamed herself for not protecting Billy that day he disappeared. Now she forces herself through the motions of living her life each day but her heart still aches for Billy.

Back when Billy was found all the signs in the investigation pointed to one man as Billy's murde
Norma * Traveling Sister
Traveling Sisters Read with Brenda, Kaceey & Susanne

THE MISTAKE by K.L. SLATER is a chilling, tense, gripping, and an angst-driven psychological thriller novel that had some exciting twists and turns that was absolutely unputdownable.  I really like these types of stories that have an impending sense of dread in the background and has me so fearful for the main character.  I had a constant uneasy feeling while I was reading this one.

K.L. SLATER delivers a well-done and thought-out story he
Susanne  Strong
4 Stars.

Addictive, Creepy and utterly Consuming.

Rose’s past isn’t a pretty one. It has haunted her for the last sixteen years. When he was just eight-years old, her little brother Billy went missing. Days later he was found dead. Billy was everything to her. And she has never forgiven herself for his death. After all these years, the only person she has been able to trust is her friend and neighbor Ronnie. When he falls ill, she is beside herself – for he is all he has left. In preparing for his
Brenda - Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars

I read The Mistake with three of my Traveling Sisters and we really enjoyed reading this one together and discussing “The Mistake”.

The Mistake is a chilling and unsettling story of manipulation, obsession, and control that sent chills through us yet we were unable to put the book down until we reached the satisfying ending. The story also created a feeling of dread for us as it also revolves around the disappearance of a little boy. Even though I find this type of storyline to be very u
Debra
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If I am not mistaken, but I may be in the minority on this one - but this book failed to WOW me. I saw a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews for this and thought "YES!!!" but I felt let down. This book just felt bland to me. I did not really see it as a psychological thriller, maybe a mystery. I am the first to admit, I like a little grit with my mystery and maybe that is why I was not wowed but also because I found I really didn't care much for the characters.

Rose blames herself for her brother's death
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Billy, come out. Please. ..you're scaring me now.'

It was true. Her heart was banging against her chest wall like a tin drum and her mouth and throat were dry with fear.

For five full, long minutes she walked up and down the long road, stepping into the bushes wherever there was a gap, searching everywhere for her brother.

But Billy was nowhere to be found.'

THE BLURB: You think you know the truth about the people you love.

But one discovery can change everything…

Eight-year-old Billy go
Pauline
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rose's young brother was murdered sixteen years and now Rose has uncovered something that makes her think that the wrong person is in prison for the crime. An excellent psychological thriller that had me hooked from the first page. I really enjoyed this book and read it in one day as I did not want to put it down. I would like to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sarah Joint
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mistake is a very chilling, unsettling story that will keep you guessing until the very end. As damaged as the main character is, you find yourself hoping that somehow she will be able to pick up the pieces and make a new life for herself. One where she can walk out of the house at night, or leave a window open to enjoy a cool breeze. She's paranoid about her own safety, but she has plenty of reasons...

When Rose was 18, her little brother vanished while they were out enjoying a windy day. Sh
Lou
Yet another fabulous title to add to my Bookouture beauties! I have recently come to associate Bookouture with a love of books and probably the most consistent crime thriller collection out there today. That is why each time I get to read an ARC of one of their killer thrillers, I just can't say no! Clear the calendar.... Here comes K.L. Slater's new title, THE MISTAKE!

K.L. slater is becoming one of my favourite authors. I have read LIAR and THE MISTAKE is my second novel by her. Both of these a
Linda Strong

Sixteen years ago, Rose made a mistake. She fell in love with a man who really wasn't the best choice for any woman, especially a young virginal teenager. Things seemed to happen to the people around her ... her friends, her family, her brother.

Her friend was assaulted one night by a masked man ... a man who had declared to Rose that the friend would pay for trying to break them up. She eventually committed suicide without ever having spoken to Rose again.

Her then 8-year-old brother went missing
Barbara

Rose Tinsley, who's lived in Newstead all her life, is the librarian at the Newstead Library - one of the smallest in Nottinghamshire County. When budget woes dictate that the library might close, Rose becomes very concerned about her job. Employment opportunities have been scarce in Newstead since the coal pits closed decades ago, and Rose - who has HUGE anxiety issues - CAN'T move away from the security of her home and her 'safety routines.'

Rose's troubles stem from things that happened sixte
Carolyn
Rose regrets the day she met Gareth Farnham sixteen years ago. Her first boyfriend, he weasled his way into her life gradually controlling every aspect of her life. She had no idea that he would totally destroy her hopes and dreams, her family and best friend, leaving her a fearful, lonely woman. She has always blamed herself for all that happened, but now sixteen years later she discovers something that totally changes everything she believed happened all those years ago.

This was such a good sl
Amy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Over the past year or so I’ve become a HUGE fan of Slater, she writes dark, twisty tales with complicated but realistic characters in frightening situations that make them SUCH addictive reads. I’ve said it before, but her books really should come with a warning label so you know that once you start one you will not be able to put it down until you’ve discovered the truth.

This is told from Rose’s point of view in the present day and sixteen years prior. Her little brother Billy, was murder
Erin Clemence
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a free electronic ARC of this novel, received in exchange for an honest review.

When Rose was eighteen, her eight year old brother was abducted and killed, and to this day she lives with the guilt. She should’ve watched him closer, she should’ve spent more time with him. And, most importantly, she should’ve stayed the hell away from Gareth. Now, sixteen years later, Rose is riddled with anxiety, ill and living as a shut-in. When she discovers her brother’s
Jill McGill
Big fan of K.L. Slater... this book did not disappoint! This is a fast-paced psychological thriller that hooks you in from the start. A whole lot of twists and tension in this emotional novel, with a little creep factor added in for some really great reading.

"YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE.
BUT ONE DISCOVERY CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING..."

It's been sixteen agonizing years and Rose still blames herself for her little brother's death. How could she have failed to protect Billy? Ba
Lisa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading K.L Slater The Mistake last night & I loved every damn minute I was hooked from the beginning to the end There was not one character I didn't like, when I say that I mean the bad guys made it for me & as usual Miss Slater throws one curveball I never saw coming at the end I said to myself NO it couldn't be but it was & it left me gobsmacked.

I wont give a long review as the book speaks for itself its a story of one mans manipulation & obsession over Rose she fal
Angela Marsons
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I absolutely flew through this book. Once I began to follow Rose's journey between the events of her brother's death and her current issues I just had to find out what happened sixteen years earlier that reduced her to the meek, fretful and anxious shell she'd become. Rose's character was so expertly drawn that I wanted to both slap and hug her all at the same time. I actually felt like I knew her personally and could alter the sequence of events by shouting loudly at my kindle. The portra ...more
sue

The Mistake

A thought provoking title I thought when I started reading this and I soon discovered a thought provoking story inside too.

Just what do you know about men when you are younger? What experience do you have apart from being around boys in school, any brothers you have and your Father/family male members?

Which ones do you trust, all of them? None of them or some of them? So how do you know that any potential boyfriend is going to turn out to be good or bad. Its a danger we all can fall i
Holly
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Sixteen years ago Rose's little brother was killed, after that her life changed forever. Now she's a librarian who spends her days looking over her shoulder. She doesn't have much of a life. She's either at the library, her home--a place that keeps herself prisoner, or looking after her elderly neighbor. When her neighbor has to be hospitalized for a few days, she decides to clean his place up. While doing so she comes across something that will put her life into a spin. She starts looking at th ...more
Gary
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the 3 previous novel by KL Slater and find her novels very enjoyable and of a consistently high standard. This is a fast paced psychological thriller that gets the reader hooked and wanting to learn more. I was certainly hooked and just had to learn the truth causing me to stay up into the early hours to finish it.
Sixteen years ago, Rose made a mistake when she fell in love with a man who was bad news. Things started to happen to her friends and family and when her 8-year-old brother
Malia
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The Mistake was my second book by K.L.Slater and though I did not like it as much as The Liar, it was still a well written, entertaining mystery. I did guess who the culprit was before the ending, which took a little of the suspense out of the story for me, but overall, it was a solid book and I will continue to read his author's work.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
BIBLIOMANIAC MJ
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*

'Our customers love a good mystery, a page-turner. They seem fascinated by terrifying tales or awful deeds that could quite feasibly happen to them in their own ordinary lives. But of course that’s because they are safely afraid.'

Sixteen years after Rose's little brother was found dead, Rose no longer has the luxury of being 'safely afraid', she lived the 'terrifying tale' and is still suffering the devastating consequences.

She is now a sad, flawed, broken woman, never getting over t
Eva
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sixteen years ago, Rose’s eight-year-old brother Billy went missing. His body was found two days later. After all this time, Rose still blames herself for his death and her failure to protect him. Someone was ultimately convicted of Billy’s murder but was it the right person? Rose thought she knew the truth but when she finds something in her neighbour’s house, doubts creep in and her world is turned upside down once again.

As always, there’s something quite delightful about never knowing who to
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What I love about this authors books is that she draws you into the story within the first few pages and holds you there, right up until the very last page and word.

Rose is someone who has been dealt a bad hand in life. From events when she was younger surrounding the death of her brother Billy, she basically just exists from day to day. As a book lover, working in a library would be a wonderful job. For Rose it’s her only highlight of each day and she constantly finds things to do so that she r
Judy Collins
Happy Pub Day!

K. L. Slater returns following (2017) Liar, and Blink plus her debut (2016) Safe with Me with her fourth hit in a row THE MISTAKE — a twisty psychological thriller with a satisfying conclusion.

Fans of Kaira Rouda’s Best Day Ever, will enjoy The Mistake. (especially the ending). Gareth and Paul have a lot in common. Payback is a bitch.

Rose is a librarian who lives alone with a cat. Anxiety filled, with an eating disorder (when under stress), she pretty much stays to hers
Lou
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fabulous title to add to my Bookouture beauties! I have recently come to associate Bookouture with a love of books and probably the most consistent crime thriller collection out there today. That is why each time I get to read an ARC copy of one of their killer thrillers, I just can't say no! Clear the calendar.... Here comes K.L. Slater's new title, THE MISTAKE!

Chloe
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Sixteen years earlier Rose’s life was completely destroyed and it still haunts her present. She fell in love with a wrong guy , her best friend was raped and her younger eight year old brother was murdered while he was in her care. She still feels responsible for all of it ,as she believes she brought it all on her family by making a mistake in falling for the wrong guy. Now in present time Rose finds a clue that might shatter everything she believed all those years ago.

The Mistake is a fast pa
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 17 Oct 13, 2017 10:01AM

• Marked (Callum Doyle, #3)
  • Here We Lie
  • Bad Blood (DI Charlotte Savage, #2)
  • Silent Lies
  • Last Kiss (Dr. Kate Pearson, #3)
  • They All Fall Down
  • Lily Alone
  • Valentina
  • Do Not Disturb: Be careful who you let inside . . .
  • The Fear
  • The Shout
  • The Foster Child
  • The Reunion
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • Who Are You?
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • The Killing Joke
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
Kim is the million-copy bestselling author of seven psychological crime thrillers. Her eighth thriller, FINDING GRACE, will be published 14th February 2019 and is now available for pre-order.

Kim's titles are also published in paperback by Sphere in the UK and Grand Central in the USA.

For many years, Kim sent her work out to literary agents and collected an impressive stack of rejection slips. At
“smiled. ‘I’ve got a whole new life waiting” 0 likes
“He had a good sense of direction. His class teacher had said so last summer when they went on the mini-beast hunt, here at Newstead Abbey. And so Billy forged ahead, his inner compass telling him that the kite was definitely around here somewhere.” 0 likes